Maytag / French Door Refrigeratorproblems with the ice maker!

Click on the link to see the full complaint

• Maytag's response · Mar 31, 2017

Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
    We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at [email protected] with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Apr 08, 2013

Hello alnappier. My name is Amber and I am a representative with Maytag. We truly apologize for the frustrations you have endured regarding your refrigerator. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email us at [email protected] and provide us with your complete contact information as well as the model and serial number of your appliance. Please also include the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard) along with your user name and your ticket number (39710). We would be happy to review your concerns further. Best regards, Amber.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Feb 27, 2013

Hello lbedell. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard.com), your user ID name (lbedell), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, your ticket number (34374), and email the requested information to [email protected] We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Amber.

Rick Apr 10, 2008

Oh, one other note: When Mrs. called Maytag about the HV board, she asked about this little 'malfunction' affecting the compressor. She was told that the compressor, in the event of failure due to this, would be taken care of as well even after the fact. Cover your bases.

Rick Apr 10, 2008

Received the replacement HV board on Tuesday (2 day express shipped), and the repair crew is coming out this afternoon to replace it. Not going to whine too much as I don't have to buy new capacitors, drag out my soldering iron, etc. Maytag is covering the whole bill.
    [protected]
    Have your model # and serial # handy when you call (find it on the inside of the fridge on the right side). It also helps to be polite when explaining the problem. ;)
    I was told by the folks coming out to perform the board replacement that there WAS indeed a recall on these (at least my model MFI2568AES). Someone just didn't send the memo.
    Will update again when it's complete and working normally again.
    I'm really tired of the disco lights in the kitchen.

• Kr
    krystawit Apr 10, 2008

ENOUGH already!!! No more talking...let's DO something.

Everyone interested in a class action suit contact me at username: [email protected]

I am SOOOO sick of this fridge.

Krysta

• La
    Larisa Apr 10, 2008

Add my name to your club. Same same isue us yours.

• Ca
    Carol O'Connor Apr 07, 2008

You think all of you have had problems !!! I am now on my fourth repair.
    I am the very disgruntled owner of the French door Model # MFD2561HES and I am now on my fourth repair.
    Within a week of use the water inside the door stopped working,
    one year later - a few weeks out of warranty the compressor stopped working and needed to be replaced. Next came the evap fan quite the day after we arrived from being away for 2 weeks. Thank our lucky stars it didn't occur when we were away. One week after the fan was replaced the electronic defrost control panel needs to be replaced I am still waiting for the part to come into the repair shop.
    I have called Maytag and all I get from them is lip service and they are so sorry they can't do anything cause it's out of warranty. I just discovered this complaint board and I will be calling again to bring to their notice of the fact that I now know about all the problems and mention the phrase "Class Action Suit" and maybe they will help me out.
    I am waiting now for the Icemake to start flapping and banging. It seems that's the only thing that hasn't gone on the lemon!!!

Joanne Hess Apr 05, 2008

THANKS Rick!!! I called the 800 number and they are replacing the panel and paying the labor!!!

Joanne Hess Apr 05, 2008

I have had my French Door Ice2O refridgerator for 2 years. The ice maker had to be serviced 3 DAYS after it was delivered. I had to be serviced again shortly after and finally a few weeks later, they actually had to replace the ice maker completely. Then about 6 months ago the temperature alarm went off in the middle of the night or no reason, or so I thought. I did everything to shut it off and finally unplugged the refridgerator for a few minutes and replugged it and all seemed okay. This past week I came home from work to hear a loud clacking noice and actually thought someone was in my home. I walked to the kitchen to find it was the refridgerator again. All of the numbers and lights on the panel were blinking and the ice despensor door was opening and closing. I have contacted an authorized repairman who has not been here yet and also contacted Maytag twice. No reply. I guess when the "Maytag Repairman" form the Maytag commercials died so did their service. I would have to tell anyone who is looking for a new refridgerator at this time to AVOID MAYTAG. I bought a $2200. piece of junk. My last refridgerator lasted 20 years! From the other write-ups I see I'm not alone. I thought I got a lemon, but obviously Maytag has become a LEMON, neither building a good product or standing behind it.

Rick Apr 03, 2008

Update:
    The Mrs. just called the 800 number. The CSA tried to offer cost free labor, but not the part. She mentioned the internet (this site), and BLAM! No charge for either, and it will be repared TOMORROW. If you're having these problems, give them a call. They know about it...even if your fridge is out of warranty.
    Will update again after the service is completed.

• Kr
    krystawit Apr 03, 2008

My Ice20 was doing the same thing and all my food spoiled. Here is what I have found out: The whole crazy flashing lights door flapper thing will stop if you disconnect the power cord from BEHIND the water/ice dispenser as described in previous posts. HOWEVER... the frig still will not cool.. all my stuff melted!

I have learned that if you disconnect the power from above... under the left top door hinge, the light show stops AND Voila... my fridge is cold again. This is only a temporary fix until they get here to repair the real problem.

BTW: I sent Whirlpool/Maytag an email with 66 PAGES of complaints from this site and others. I told them I wanted a $200 reimbursment for my spoiled groceries. This has been an ONGOING problem with this model for over 2 years. Maytag and Whirlpool are/were aware of the problem and STILL have not corrected the design flaw. They are still manufacturing AND selling the same problem! Therefore, I feel that they could have 100% prevented my $200 grocery loss. I WANT MY MONEY!!

I am all for a class action suit...

Hope this helps.

Krystawitt

Rick Apr 02, 2008

Looks like we (Mrs. and myself) just joined this club. A much larger club than I would have suspected. Fridge is 16-18 mo. old.
    Same symptoms, flashing lights, flapping ice door... possession is a very correct word for it.

Tried killing the power to the fridge to see if that would 'reset' something... nope. Well, if you're reading this at page 11, you already know that.

Will be calling Maytag tomorrow morning to see what they're willing to do, and I'll update with the results. Thank you to all who have already posted. At least that gives us a little hope in fixing this expensive hunk-o-junk.

And to Maytag: I hope you're reading all of these accounts now. You're sure hear about them later, and so will many others.

• De
    denngray Mar 21, 2008

I have the exact problem with my MFY2568AEW maytag.
    There is a definate Manufaturing design flaw with this model and similar models, we need to start a class action lawsuit against Maytag and force a recall.

here are 2 other sites to visit that have some useful info.

• Ke
    Ken Schwartz Mar 13, 2008

Same possessed issue everyone is happening. Called Maytag and very friendly and is repairing for free. Great service with no hassle... Did not have to argue. They knew the problem and offered the free repair without asking.

• Li
    Linda Mar 10, 2008

same problem. icemaker flapper opening and closing on its own... lights flashibg. piece of junk.
    if we don't unite and demand refunds, via a class action suit or whatever legal posturing we're entitled to, then we, who can't afford it, lose... and they, Maytag, who can afford it, win.
    Any attorneys out there?... L

• Ji
    JIM B OYD Mar 09, 2008

Same thing, except I guess I was lucky. I did not have to go through that ice door fiasco. My front panel just went dead for no reason. Wh had not touched it or made any adjustments. It sounds like it is most likely the rear HV board.

I have taken that out. I have read a lot of posts to a lot of sites and they indicate the capacitors should be rounded at the top if they are the problem. Mine are flat. I hesitate spending $179 to buy a new board if this is not the problem.

The front board is a little cheaper. I might try that first.

by the way- to stop that ice door problem, you can pop your drip tray out, remove two 1/4" screws and disconnect the wire to the ice tray. Very easy to do, just pop the plug out of its socket. you will know when you get the right plug-the ice maker door will quick going nuts. This may save the first service call.

I agree on a class action suit against Maytag. This is a part that should not expire after one year of normal operation. This model of regrigerator was very expensive. I bought it because I had good luck with old Maytag products. But, you can say what you want about the American worker. I live in Illinois and I know a lot of jobs were lost to Mexico (from Iowa) Thanks Nafta. The first thing I saw when I opened up the back of my HV cover was the sticker: "Assembled in Mexico."

I guess the thing to do in the future is ask if the product is made in America. We might at least get better service because our workers enjoy job security. Does a Maytag customer service rep really care if we quit buying Maytag. One moe Mexican plant will be replaced with a Hoover vacuum plant or something.

ps I would be willing to get something started on this. Email me if interested.

• Ju
    Judy Plymale Mar 07, 2008

I woke up last night
    Same problem (flapping .....blinking)
    Called Maytag number this morning and was offered no assistance
    WIth information from this site, I will call again and be more specific about my needs and expectations
    I will proceed with the expectation that people/Maytag will do the right thing
    I truely hope I am nott dissapointed

• Ji
    Jim Dawson Mar 04, 2008

Round 4 - the ice maker quits, again. This is the 4th time (not counting the flashing light/flapping door card failure). This should make it an official "lemon" under state law. As we were away from home in February, we arranged for the repair man from A&E to arrive today - 4th March. You have to make these appointments 2 weeks in advance of anyone coming to your home. This is under the extended warranty that we purchased - the only smart thing we purchased that day in the Maytag store. Well, he walks in - inspects the empty, dry ice making unit and advises that he doesn't carry a spare unit with him. It's nice to know that there are companies like A&E that hire the mentally handicapped. Final word - if you purchase a Maytag cum Whirlpool piece of junk, it's your own fault. Called the Maytag store - they will "try to expedite" it earlier than the 13th of March currently scheduled return visit. Another month in my life spent buying ice cubes for a $3000 fridge.

Andy C. Mar 03, 2008

I was in the appliance business for 23 years before leaving that field in 2005. Some suggestions with regard to all these issues with your refrigerators.

First and foremost, document, document, document. Secondly, and probably not appealing to most, is buy a service contract. Some companies offer service contracts (also called extended warranties), up to 1 year from the date of purchase or installation. I know Maytag did, it was called Dependability Plus. Most of these extended warranties have clauses in them that protect the consumer against lemons, and the repeated failure of the same parts. They used to cost about $69-$89 for a 3 or 4 year extension.

If you don't want to purchase an extended warranty, and have had numerous repairs done to a unit still less than a year old, contact the Consumer Relations arm of the manufacturer, NOT the service department.
    Sometimes the consumer relations arm of the company will assist you because they want you to come back when you need to buy a new appliance and tell your friends and family how great they are.

• Li
    Lisa Alford Mar 02, 2008

Thank God for complaint forums like this... I am so mad! I also have one of the HIGH END refridgerator that is currently broken down. We have been Very dissapointed with this unit. Have ice maker problems. I really thought the kids broke it and I have been on there butts about it. Then one morning at 5:00 am I get up and our fridge had a mind of it own also... Blinking lights, ice flap clicking.. my husband was not happy having to get up and deal with this at 5:00 am. We also did everything to unplugging to pulling out the ice tray, nothing worked. He finally unhooked something on top of the door to disconnect the ice maker. I thought this was the end and I would call and get repaired! OK right! Contacted maytag... was under warrenty, they in returned call a local repair company, that repair company called me and couldn't get out here for a couple of days. Of course at this point I didn't know the stupid thing wasn't cooling. I went on to work, spent a half of day on the phone getting this taken care of, NOT ONCE did anyone tell me it would be out completly! I get home from work and everything in the fridge was warm and frozen stuff had started thowing! Spent another 4 hours cleaning this mess up! It has been a living nightmare! I am living out of a cooler on our porch, thank god we have a fridge in our detached garage for our BEER! It has now been 5 days and still no WORKING fridge! I really want to know what MAYTAG is going to do about this... I am pissed, the inconvenience of this with having a family of 5 it has been a nightmare. How about maytag reimbursing me for all these meals out and the food I have lost! If it was a older unit you can see having problems, but a high end product not even a year old! HELLO!!! Can we all band together and do something, I can be the only person B***hing about this. Please contact me anyone who wants to start a class action suit! Lisa from VA...

• Bo
    Bob Mar 02, 2008

You have two separate problems: The most important problem, the flashing lights and constantly flapping ice chute door is due to two defective electrolytic filter capacitors on the High Voltage control board located in back (the two side-by-side 3/8" diameter by 1/2" high devices marked 680 uF). Contact your appliance dealer or Whirlpool service, and they will ship out a replacement board with programming instructions no charge, and schedule a service tech to install if you want. This is easy to replace and program by yourself.
    If you know how to unsolder and replace electronic components, you can buy replacement parts at Radio Shack. It is important that you program in the correct code for you model. The code is on the Service tag inside of the door.

The ice refreezing and clumping may be due to the icemaker unit not sealing and latching tight (air leak), or possibly a defective (slow) icemaker fan.

• Mi
    Michelle Tarin Mar 01, 2008

Wow here I sit at 12:36am as I was brought out of bed by my dogs barking, I got to investigate that my fridge has become possessed and the contact clicking of the ice maker was not a pleasant sounds to my Yorkies. But my parents, who have the same fridge, had this problem in November, I called them and they gave us the information about disabling the ice maker so the clicking will stop. I called the service number but apparently they can’t schedule an appointment and I have to call back tomorrow because they are doing there weekly database update. Really? Why even bother answering the phone if you have to tell them to call back the next day.

My parents’ fridge was out of warranty but Maytag covered all expenses and I will make absolutely certain they will do the same for me.

If this is a widespread known problem, why not let people know so they are not alarmed when the ice maker lights go crazy and the thing keeps clicking out imaginary ice cubes. Can we say Class Action Suit??

• Da
    Dan Adams Feb 28, 2008

Add my fridge to the list. Same problems as others have posted. Thanks to finding this site, I called Maytag and they gladly fixed the problem without hesitation. They called it "a known quality issue". Parts and labor fully covered even though my fridge is past the standard 1 yr warranty -- purchased in July '06.

• Ci
    Cindy Forte Feb 27, 2008

Add me !! I'm FURIOUS that this is so widespread and there has been no recall. We bought ours 8/2006 - the ice chute popping and rapid blinking of the panel lights started last night. It lasts about 20 minutes and stops, then starts again a while later.
    We were going to call Sears this morning but I decided to look online and found this site. Now I'll be calling Maytag, too.

Our local TV news has a consumer reports reporter - guess who my NEXT phone call will be to ?!!!!

• St
    Steve Ruffini Feb 24, 2008

Add my refridgerator to the list. I bought it around June 2006. The flashing lights and flapping started sometime within the last 24 hours. It is not constant at this point. It flashes and flaps for about 15 minutes then stops for 25-30 minutes. I taped a folded paper towel over the inside of the ice chute to reduce the amount of cold air that escapes. Thanks to other posts at least I know what is causing the problem.

• To
    Todd Brown Feb 18, 2008

We have owned our ICE20 fridge for just over a year and last night it became possessed. The lights on front started flashing and clicking and the ice chute door started flapping. After we decided to search the web for answers rather than call an excorcist, I came across this page and was surprised there have been so many of the same stories submitted. Just think of how many others there are out there! And how about how many have reported, just like our case, their problems to start happening just a few months past warranty expiration. I'm not one who believes in simple coincidences like that. Sounds like the lonely repairman is trying to drum up business to me. I'm going to take the advise I read and see if Maytag will come out quickly and resolve the problem free of charge or I'm all over the class action lawsuit suggestion. Been involved in a couple of those and they can be very rewarding, even if the benefit personally isn't all that much if you know what I mean. Also, I concur that you all should make every effort to make public this issue and the fact that registered owners have not long ago been contacted about the issue remedies made. Shame on Maytag for their deeds, but shame on us for not warning the public.

• Wi
    William Ghee Feb 13, 2008

Seeing all these complaints just gets my blood pumping. I have a MSD24554GRW refrigerator. I bot this THING in 2004 when I purchased a new home. Its a side by side I guess you call it or two doors. The thing lost the compressor twice in less than a year. I lost food of course but gawd forbid you can follow that procedure for some type of recovery cost.

So it does work now but you cant believe the noises this thing makes. I can best describe it as a ping pong ball (game) going on in there. Repair man says its a fan so he changed it of course I had to pay labor, and whala... absolutely no change. The noise is coming from the left panel on the freezer side and it sounds awfull. So we have learned to put up with it but trust me not much longer.

• Be
    Becky Layton Feb 08, 2008

I purchased a Ice20 4-8-06 from Home Depot . I also purchased the 5 yr extented warranty after I discussed with the specialty rep about the problem with a ice maker I had with the last frig I owned. She said she would advise me to buy it and then I would be covered for anything. The total price I paid was $2,721.89. Everything was fine until 9-20-06 the ice maker went out. The service store they use in the rural area we are in, replaced the ice maker which worked for about a month. I called the Home Depot Customer Service and after the run around one very rude young lady told me to unplug the frig and waite about five minutes and then plug it in, it would work again. I disgustingly tried it and of course it didn't work. I was so upset after I thought of the price I had paid for this frig and already having this SAME kind of trouble. It didn't ever get fixed and then the panel board went out on it with the blinking, flashing lights and terrible noise the week before Christmas!! It was full of food for the company I had coming for the holiday that ruined and I had to throw out. I called Home Depot, they said they had no info on my PURCHASE or WARRANTY because it had been over a year since I purchased it. They had to contact the extended warranty department with GE, to see if I was registered with them. A Home Depot employee told me on 12/24 that he was working on getting me a NEW FRIG and theRepair Store would be out on Thurs. 12/27. Finally on 1/14/08 the repairman came & looked, ordered new panel board and ice maker. (Said they had had service calls of the same type on he was sure every frig of the same style that was sold in this area.) Parts are now on back order. I was told if the parts don't come in in 48 hrs they have to replace frig. I was told today that he doesn't think he will be able to get NEW FRIG but they will send me a check $25 for the inconvience I have experienced. I feel I bought an inferior product from HOME DEPOT AND THEY SHOULD TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE PRODUCTS THEY SELL!!! After reading all of the complaints I also feel that MAYTAG IS KNOWINGLY SELLING VERY INFERIOR PRODUCTS AND CONTINUE TO !! YOU WOULD THINK THEY WOULD AT LEAST TAKE THE PRODUCT OFF THE MARKET AND OWN UP TO THE DAMAGE THEY HAVE CAUSED EVERY PERSON WHO HAS BOUGHT THEIR FRIG!!!

I WANT TO BE REIMBURSED OR GIVEN A DIFFERENT BRAND OF FRIG!!!

• Th
    Theresa Carter Jan 30, 2008

I don't have a problem with the icemaker (crossing fingers) on my Maytag French Door refrigerator, as a matter of fact, I fell in love with it and HAD to have one. We paid $3000 for it and it works great BUT, the door handles are a snap on kind and I am continuously reattaching them. The bottom kick plate has fallen off more times than I can count, everytime I sweep actually.

It seems to be mechanically sound and have had it over a year, just that the cheaper quality handles is a dissapointment. My next fridge will be a LG, at least their handles are permanently attached.

• Sh
    S Hamilton Jan 28, 2008

on the phone this morning w/ customer service, pleasant woman by the name of Sue. I told her what was going as well as the info I'd found online about other units with this same problem--high voltage control panel.. She agreed that there "have been a few".

She's ordering a part and since I'd already scheduled a call she verified that with the A/E service. The part is to be overnighted to me so it's here when they come this week.

• Sh
    S Hamilton Jan 26, 2008

this afternoon (Saturday) I walked into the kitchen to flashing lights and a flapping ice door.. every 5 seconds the door flaps.. VERY irriatating..

after reading the above posts I'm encouraged but leery of the response I'll get when I ask for the thing to be fixed free. I went ahead and scheduled the first available-next Friday.. by Monday afternoon I'm hoping to have that confirmed as free.

I bought mine unit from Lowe's--got a steal of a deal.. $1500... a lady had bought it and returned it--didn't like it.. said it made noise..

I'm guessing she's talking about that little popping noise it makes now and then, ahd it serviced-the guy said it's a freon bubble.. but that all of them that he's worked on do it..

will post back later..

Nathaniel Jackson Jan 15, 2008

We received noticie from Maytag 4months ago that our dishwasher had been recalled. We were given the choice to puchase a new one at a discount or have Maytag to order the needed part to correct whatever the reason for the recall and to come make the repair. We have received the part that is taking up unsightly space in a box in the conner; but no repair man has called to make an appointment to install whatever part is in the box. The commerial on TV shows the Maytag repair repairing the cable because he has nothing to do in repair in the line of Maytag applicences. Please contact me I have a Maytag job for him.

• Br
    Brian Jan 12, 2008

I used to be in appliance sales and I have sold a lot of these fridges. This problem used to be a pretty common problem (seems like they fixed it recently) and I found out a VERY easy, FREE fix. If you make sure to keep the icemaker sealed off from the rest of the fresh food compartment, you should not have a problem. Here's why:

Most fridges are designed to only cool the freezer. They then find different ways to get cold air into the fresh food space.

The Maytag Ice 2.0 brings cold air up a tube in the back from the freezer directly into the icemaker. A little flap opens on the side of teh icemaker to cool the rest of the fresh food space.

There are also four temperature sensors that control which valves are open and which fans are running at any given time.

When you close the icemaker compartment, you have to be sure it seals itself very well. If it has a bad seal, cold air will leak out of the icebox into the fresh food space. Two things happen now: the icemaker gets too warm to make ice, and the fresh food compartment gets too cold to keep veggies fresh.

The fridge freaks out and goes on the fritz because this should not be happening. The flap is closed. Cold air should not be escaping the icemaker; but it is.

SO, make sure that when you slide the icemaker tray back into its' place you hear the load click of the latch holding it tightly in there. That should solve (or prevent) this problem from happening.

On the positive side, consumer reports did rate this fridge as the best french door + ice/water. It does have the largest fresh food capacity of any fridge out there (18.4 cu ft.). It also has that elevator shelf, beverage chiller, and fridge-pack rack. Overall, this is a really great machine. I would just recoment that you keep the icemaker sealed properly to prevent any headaches.

• Ro
    Robert Riddle Jan 09, 2008

My Maytag refrigerator gave us a heck of a time too. I payed the first bill, because it was out of warranty, and bought an extended warranty for a year. During that time, the ice maker went out again. They came out and replaced a board in the door and a selenoid in the back of the freezer. While the Maytag Repairman was working on it, it caught fire. He put the fire out before it could set the fridge cabinet above it on fire or set off the smoke detectors. Calls to Maytag only got us nothing. My wife was scared of the refrigerator ever since. We bought our house with Maytag appliances and thought we were getting an upgrade in appliances. We will never buy Maytag or any of their other brands again.

Nancy Jan 08, 2008

To follow up with my prior note, I called Maytag and they're coming in three days to repair free of charge.

Nancy Jan 08, 2008

Ours just broke as well, flashing lights and flapping ice door. As middle of night, will call maytag in the morning. (model #MF12568AES), less than 2 years old.

• Ha
    Harold Smith Jan 05, 2008

Update from 3 hours ago - I've read all of the posts. I didn't do a study, but it appears that these jewels go out 1) at night, 2) weekends) or 3) holidays. Ours: 6 PM on Saturday night.
    I downloaded the fix from Steve Beck (Thank you, Steve - very readable and funny), probably won't try the soldering myself, but did disconnect the harness under hinge cover so that lights and flapping have ceased. Tomorrow, Home Depot and Maytag get the call.
    The most amazing thing is that with all these problems, Maytag doesn't see fit to mention it on their website, or include the questions in FAQs. Is this intentional deception?
    And the number going out between 370 days and 16 months is nothing short of paranoia-inducing. Should someone check that board carefully for a timer?
    Thanks again to all who added your posts.

• Ha
    Harold Smith Jan 05, 2008

Exact same problem for me - flashing lights, flapping ice door, nothing in manual or online. I wish I had read these comments before I bought it from Home Depot 20 months ago. This is the first problem we've had with it. Anyone know of a fix? I agree that this probably deserves a class action suit.

• St
    Steve Beck Jan 05, 2008

For those who have this flashing & flapping problem, aside from the annoyance factor, at some point you will also lose cooling capability.

You can stop the flashing / flapping and can save the contents of your fridge by using the procedure located at http://www.liny.net/MaytagIce2O.htm

Any older referenced link with a bunch of numbers in it (varies by site) will no longer work. I had to move this doc to a commercial server due to its popularity.

Many have given me feedback they tried it (or found a friend who can solder to do it) and it's working fine. It took me under 1 hour, but I was also taking all the pics in the doc while doing it. Fridge is running fine since July '07.

I see others reporting getting their HV board swapped by Maytag for free, so this might be useful as a stop-gap measure to keep your freezer cold while you wait for the repairman to show up with the replacement board, or while you work on convincing Maytag to do this for free.

Give it a view - best case it works for you and you save the contents of your freezer, worst case you lose 15 mins to read it and decide it's not for you. The decision is up to you. :)

• Vt
    V Torres Jan 04, 2008

I wish to add to the growing number of disgruntled Ice2O owners. My unit is 20 months old so I guess that I made it longer than most before any significant problem showed up. The ice flap problem has just started. I turned off the icemaker and that seems to help for the moment so that the flap only starts up when the compressor kicks on. I have marked the repair information so wonderfully provided on this board in case I get no satisfaction from Maytag, and a big thanks to those who posted it.

• Ry
    ryan Jan 04, 2008

I too have the problem with the control board. Called maytag today after reading the list of complaints and they are very aware of the problem of the ice2o so much so that they have a term for it called "possesion". the rep was very helpful and is fixing the problem parts and labor at no cost. her name debbie took care of it very fast with no hassle. hopefully everything will go smoothly from this point if not I will post again. Also I think that it is important for you to know that I am well past my warranty coverage for those of you that are in the same boat.

• Ap
    April Jan 03, 2008

Well I am in the same boat. While at work today my husband sends me a text message asking how old our new fridge is? OK now I am nervous. So I call him and he says can you hear that noice. He says that it is the ice dispense flap opening and closing none stop. However we did find that it stops opening and closing when the fan is not running. He shoved a towel from the inside to stop the flapper. The lights kept blinking. He contacted a Maytag servious provider and told him the earliest they could be out is Monday and it would be $89.99 to look at it. Well while reading some posts, I found that some have had some success through Maytag. So we called them and explained the situation, mine is about 2 yrs old, and they agreed to order the HV board and we should get it Monday and the same provider would be coming out on Tuesday. I will update once it is complete. I too agree that this is insane especially since the price that we all paid for this.