Complaints & Reviews

working his magic alright!

After buying magic jack and bringing it home, I was excited to finally save money on my phone bill. Everything hooked up ok, just as the package said. I tested out a few numbers and everything seemed fine after I went through the registration process. I had magic jack hooked up in the room adjacent to my bedroom. Two nights had gone by, and I awoke in the middle of the night to hear heavy breathing noises coming from the very room that "magic jack" was hooked up in. I got out of bed, crossed the hall, and peered into the room. The heavy breathing suddenly stopped. This very pattern continued off and on continuously throughout the remainder of the month. At the end of the month, my att&t telephone bill came in. To my surprise, the bill was a total of $3, 974.22. After closer examination, I noticed that the calls were placed to 900 numbers, which I had purposely blocked when signing up for phone service initially. So I called att&t and they investigated the matter, traced the calls, and got back to me with shocking news. "magic jack" had worked his "magic" alright! After the so-called simple set up. After "magic jack" waited for me to go to bed, this little "as seen on tv" "gadget of the year", disengaged my 900 blocking, set up an incoming/outgoing international phone sex operation on my damn computer! And it didn't stop there. "magic jack", after using the gadget over the course of a few minutes, was able to digitally replicate my actual voice. When it knew I was not home, "magic jack" made several calls to friends, family members, and even my boss's wife. Using my digitally replicated voice it made several sexually explicit phone call comments to my boss's wife such as: "hey deb, just sitting here wondering what color underwear you're wearing right now." or "hey deb, me again, your husbands favorite employee. How about you talk your husband into giving me a raise, and i'll let you know how many times he's slept with his secretary." I was fired immediately that afternoon. "magic jack" made it appear the calls were coming from my work telephone at my desk and outgoing to my boss's house. Within just over a month, I lost my job, some longtime friends (magic jack made phone calls, using my voice, and made sexually obscene, and often rude comments to some girlfriends and wives of some longtime friends), my family has all but disowned me. Oh yeah! "magic jack"... "pc magazine editors choice of the year award". "over 2.5 million sold"... More like: "over 2.5 million lives destroyed for the low price of $39.95. Don't buy this product!!!

• Dr
    Dropdeadfred Sep 25, 2009

I loved this! It's hilarious! The writer should go to work for Saturday Night Live! But this is not the place for such satire. Most people will believe this is a legitimate complaint because satire excapes most people.

• Ti
    TImothy Jones Denver Oct 07, 2009

Im sorry I do not know how the product works exactly, but from what I read, it has a mind of its own? I really dont think it has a mind of its own. have we stumbled upon what seems to be one of the best a. I technologies for an affordable price. it can think, apparently reason, essentially behave however it wants. "its know when im asleep," or "when im not home", jesus this is one dammed piece of equipment, sounds more demonic than the demons in my basement. does this gadget have eyes, I mean does it watch you sleep, or leave the house? im not trying to be rude, but I mean really, come on, it "knows your voice," "it knows when your asleep or away from the house," "it knows who its calling, how idk, but apparently it calls people and harasses them" so bad that you get fried. this isnt normal harassment no, god forbid, this piece of equipment makes it sexual. im mean fuk man, this sh1t is freaky, snl will eat this right up. this takes prank calling to a new extreme. i'm sorry to sound to harsh or blunt, but, fuk really? it. knew your voice, began calling your friends/ workers/bosses (only when you were out of the house, cough cough cough bull — sh1t) and and one step-further, it upheld a conversation, a sexual one at that. it had its own thought process and reasoning, scary!!! this is farfecth. im sorry this is complaintsboard.com, not unexplainedmysteries.com, ill take your complaint seriously, for now this will make a nice ghost story to scare my cub scouts.

• Do
    doubtful x 2 Oct 15, 2009

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Eric'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK419081815422X

Eric: Hello, how may I help you?

Donald: I was wanting to find out why the magic jack is adertised on tv at multiple, different stores for 19.95, but when i went to buy one, it was 39.98?

Eric: The $19.95 is the renewal of license every year.

Eric: You need to purchase first the magicjack for $39.95.

Eric: That includes the first year of service.

Eric: After the first year, you will renew the license each year for $19.95

Donald: i understand that, but it is adertised for purchase on tv for 19.95. the commercial says nothing about a price of 39.95. Isn't this EXTREMELY misleading to the public?

Eric: The advertisement has another price for it. But when you purchase magicjack from our site, it's $39.95

Eric: They must be the retailer.

Donald: I just went to walmart and radioshack, and they both are selling it for the 39.95 price, why is this price not mentioned in your commercial's?

Eric: Can I have the website of the commercial you mentioned?

Donald: It is a tv commercial

Donald: the only one you are running on tv

Eric: One moment please...

Eric: It's stated there that $19.95 / year.

Eric: That means $19.95 every year but you need to purchase first the magicjack for $39.95

Eric: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are now chatting with 'Cherry'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK419081815422X

Cherry: Hello, Donald . My name is Cherry. To better assist you, let me put you on hold while I read your previous chat. Thank you.

Cherry: Please be informed that the $19.95 that is advertised is for the yearly charge of magicjack Eric and not the device.

Donald: my name is not eric, it is Donald. And the tv commercial is meisleading and what I and according to many on the web, false advertising.

Cherry: Sorry for that Donald.

Cherry: Which of it do you mean is falsely advertised?

Donald: Nothing on the commercial says anything about a 39.95 fee for the product and first year of service. it just says get the magic jack with the first years service for 19.95. Have you seen the tv commercials I am speaking of?

Cherry: Yes, that is not what it meant Donald, the $19.95 is for the yearly fee.

Donald: Do you see how that is very misleading?

Cherry: I don't think so Donald, because as what I have understand it shows that the $19.95 is for the service and not for the device.
    Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Eric'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK419081815422X

Eric: Hello, how may I help you?

Eric: The $19.95 is the renewal of license every year.

Eric: You need to purchase first the magicjack for $39.95.

Eric: That includes the first year of service.

Eric: After the first year, you will renew the license each year for $19.95

Eric: They must be the retailer.

Eric: Can I have the website of the commercial you mentioned?

Donald: It is a tv commercial

Donald: the only one you are running on tv

Eric: One moment please...

Eric: It's stated there that $19.95 / year.

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are now chatting with 'Cherry'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK419081815422X

Cherry: Sorry for that Donald.

Cherry: Which of it do you mean is falsely advertised?

Donald: Do you see how that is very misleading?

Donald: It says nothing about the price of the device being additional. All it says is 29.95 for the magic jack

Donald: err 19.95

Cherry: I apologize for that but that is really not our price for the device Donald.

Donald: I now understand that, but your commercial is obviously being deceitful for a reason.

Donald: it is called bait and switch

Cherry: I understand how you feel about this Donald.

Donald: o is that it then?

Donald: so is tha it then?

Cherry: Yes Donald, you can return your magcijack for a refund just so long you're still under the 30 day trial.

Donald: when does the thrirty days start? when I activate the jack, or from date of ordering? How long does it take to rec'v if ordered from your website?

Cherry: From the order date.

Donald: So how long does shipping take?

Donald: So agin, it is not truly a 30 day trial period.

Cherry: Delivery usually takes 5-10 business days from when it was shipped for Standard Shipping, and 3-5 businesses days for Priority mail.

Donald: so it is actually a 20-25 day trial period

Donald: Again, misleading

Cherry: That is how it works.

Donald: Your company obviously practices devious business practices. How long before you start jacking up the yearly fee?

Donald: How long is the 19.95/year price guaranteed for?

Cherry: The Gold plan can only be refunded if you wish to return a device un der the 30 day trial.

Donald: If I told one of my customers what your last statement to me was, I would be borderline of being fired.

Cherry: That is the policy Donald.

Donald: What about the 19.95 / year fee. How long is that yearly fee guaranteed for?

Cherry: Once it gets activated we can't refund it back anymore, it's only refundable if you return a device as well. If not then it can't be refunded.

Donald: Let me try to make this a simple as possible for you. I buy the product. How do I know that the second year you won't up the annually service fee to 59.95? What kind of guarantee's do you have of future yearly service pricing of 19.95.

Cherry: You will be sent out an email as soon as you're license is about to expire.

Donald: Again, what is your guarantee that you wont jack the price up the second or third year for the service from 19.95 / year to hypothetically 59.95 / year. Please stop dancing around the direct wuestion i am sking you?

Cherry: No we won't Donald, our system does not lie.

Donald: Soi you can guarantee me the yearly service charge will never go above 19.95 / year?

Cherry: Yes

Donald: Will a copy of this chat be emailed to me?

Cherry: No, you can copy and paste it on your notes Donald.

Cherry: Please do not worry as I have recorded our chat making it very easy for the next tech to understand your concern if you may comeback again.

Donald: But then your company could say i doctored the chat. I would prefer you email me a copy of this chat from your company to me at [email protected]

Cherry: We can't email you a copy of the chat Donald, our email system is not available.

Donald: You are the first company i have ever had online chat with that did not VOLUNTARILY or Automatically send a copy of the chat session automatically. Obviously this is for a reason

Donald: If you can chat with me, email has to be available to you.

Cherry: No Donald, its just that our email system is not operating as of the moment.

Donald: Can i be transferred to an upper manager along with a transcript of this chat please?

Donald: Why

Cherry: I am not allowed to do that.

Donald: I was transferred to you

Cherry: Yes, they are allowed but not me,

Donald: I am sorry Cherry, but I just don't believe that you have the authority to make the guarantee you just made to me, that is why i want someone from upper management

Cherry: I can't transfer you to anyone else here Donald.

Donald: Noi disrespect, but i don't believe you. What is your title and employee id or some way of identifying you other than by just "Cherry"

Cherry: I am Cherry Thompson.

Donald: How do I reach management? is there ena email address or a phone number I can call?

Cherry: No Donald, everything needs to be done here on this chat.

Donald: What kind of company has untouchable management?

Cherry: That is our policy.

Donald: OK. You leave me no other choice than to post this chat conversation on the internet for anyone that wants to look can see. Thank you for your mediocre assistance and i will continue to reach you management. Every company has a phone number.

Cherry: You are welcome.

Cherry: It was indeed a pleasure assisting you today.

Cherry: I hope I have somehow helped you with your concerns today.

Cherry: Have a good one and be safe always.

Donald: If you can chat with me, email has to be available to you.

Donald: Why

Cherry: I am not allowed to do that.

Donald: I was transferred to you

Cherry: Yes, they are allowed but not me,

Cherry: I can't transfer you to anyone else here Donald.

Cherry: I am Cherry Thompson.

Cherry: No Donald, everything needs to be done here on this chat.

service overcharge, lies and stealing

i saw an ad on tv with special offer, no shipping charge if you order today. i ordered. said the magic jack cost, $19.95. no shipping, and $19.95 a year for service, and if you pay like $50, you get 5 years.
i got the magic jack. but no 30 day free trial . they charged my account right away, then charged another $50 next month. i never gave permission for that. so i called a number and could not ever get humans. only recording. so online i tried and to this day all they say is, you are wrong, listen better next time, nothing but abuse online, and so sorry, shipping $6.95, and $19.95 a year. and $39.95 for the mj. and on the tv it was no shipping and special $19.95 for the magic jack. a total scam and lies and they will go down. i am putting in complaint to fcc and bbb and consumer dept. anyone had this happen with that piece of crap company?

• Sc
    scottz Jan 08, 2010

I dunno, I always thought all their commercials and online advertising were pretty clear. I have had MagicJack for 10 months now, a few problems, but worth the cost savings.

I hate magic jack

I got my magic crap from my mother-in-law for christmas 2 years ago. She only gave me the box it came in and a piece of paper with the email address the account was under. It worked on and off for about 6 months or so. I had multiple problems with it, firewall issues, not loading properly, then finally it saying defective device contact customer support. Haha good luck with that. Customer support what a joke, there is none. Just some people giving you short answers and some pre-typed bs over an live internet chat. No live people to talk with. I worked for over 3 months trying to get this stupid thing to work. Nothing, just frustration and a lot of wasted time. I finally had to get my mother-in-law in on the fun, they told me that I would need her to contact them with all the information, order number and her original credit card, witch I think is crap to ask someone for the cc # over an unsecured site. Any who now they finally listened to her, got her to buy a new one at 39.95, 30 day money back, and for me to send them my magic crap defective device which we paid for. The thing doesn't work... Why should I send it back to them? Its mine. I hope this saves some people from getting ripped off. It is nothing but trouble and a headache. So please if you decide to buy magicjack please take what I said into consideration.

atribunella Nov 12, 2009

They misrepresent.I have people next store try to call, and it comes up as a long distance call.mY BROTHER IN LAW LIVE 9 MILES FROM ME, USED TO CALL 3 TIMES A DAY until he recd a bill for $77.00 for calling my number from his fone company.My step son has one of these pieces of junk and hi father law live 3 miles from him, used to call untill he recd a bill for $88.00 in long distance calls.Reception sucks, lots of skip.Lots pf missed calls, terrible contraption.Im going to the attorney general with this piece of crap.

receiving local calls

Purchased Magic Jack online from their web site; product installed on computer with no problem, and worked fine for making outgoing calls, however, when anyone tried to call me, they received a message that this was long-distance call. I got on the live chat customer service and spent 45 minutes going over the problem with representative (he did at least try to help, and was polite). In the end, the only suggestion he could offer was to get a new phone number, choosing a different prefix under our area code. The only one listed that should have been local was Longview, however, callers Still get the long distance message. I was then advised to keep an eye on the site, as new prefixes would be added soon. However, to try this again when additional prefixes are available will cost me $10.00, as you are only allowed one free change and I wasted mine. There is also no guarantee that your choice will work, so, if the next change didn't work, I would be out the $10.00. Overall, I am quite unhappy with this, since this product was purchased to use while working remotely in my home office and now the only way my customers can call me on it, is to call long distance. Since this won't work, I am reduced to trying to do business on my cell phone, which, in our area, is somewhat unreliable. I guess if it saves me in long distance making outgoing calls, it will be somewhat helpful, but is certainly not what it was touted to be. They don't quite tell the "rest of the story" when selling the product.

rip off

Here is my conversation with magic jack. They are a rip off/not unlimited...

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'therese'

Your issue id for this chat is ltk419076552714x

Therese: hello, how may I help you?

Joe: hello, does magic jack offer unlimited minutes

Joe: ive been reading mixed infor

Joe: I see free everything

Joe: but not unlimited minutes

Joe: hello???

Joe: therese???

Therese: thank you for addressing your concern joe, let me help you with that.

Joe: ok

Therese: yes, I am here.

Therese: yes, you can make calls anytime you want for free.

Joe: what of the limit of minutes per month'

Joe: is it unlimited

Therese: please refer to our terms of services.

Therese: http://www.magicjack.com/tos/

Joe: what is it

Joe: yes or no

Joe: in plain english

Therese: unfortunately we do not have the exact figures on the limits. However, our tos states that "customer whose usage is twenty (20) times more than the average magicjack's customers usage, or systematic or intentional misuse, it reserves the right, in our sole discretion, to terminate your use of the magicjack device and/or software immediately, and you will not be entitled to get a refund of any licensing fee or any other fee you may have paid to us".

Therese: we don't have the actual numbers, its automated in our system, if our system identifies a customer who is above the normal usage, then they will be blocked.

Joe: what is "above normal usage"?

Joe: and how long is the block

Joe:???

Therese: I am not sure about that since I have not met customers who have been blocked for excessive usage.

Joe: arent you a rep of this company

Joe: wtf

Joe: I need to know this info

Joe: to be a educated consumer

Joe: transfer me to a manager

Joe: you are not helping me

Therese: okay.

Therese: one moment please...

Therese: thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are now chatting with 'evert'

Your issue id for this chat is ltk419076552714x

Joe: hello evert

Evert: hi, this is evert, from higher level support and I will be assisting you

Joe: what is "above normal usage"?

Joe: I want to know how many minutes are allowed

Evert: yes, this is evert, it is not about the minute but how many times you used it. Customer whose usage is twenty (20) times more than the average magicjack's customers usage, or systematic or intentional misuse, it reserves the right, in our sole discretion, to terminate your use of the magicjack device and/or software immediately, and you will not be entitled to get a refund of any licensing fee or any other fee you may have paid to us".

Joe: what is"twenty (20) times more than the average magicjack's customers usage"

Joe: I need a straight answer

Joe: what is the exact number

Joe: how many minutes am I allowed to use

Evert: as I ahv stated, it is not about the minutes but about the usage

Joe: well what is it

Evert: customer whose usage is twenty (20) times more than the average magicjack's customers usage

Joe: what is:"twenty (20) times more than the average magicjack's customers usage"

Joe: what is the average usage

Joe: this is not clear

Joe: I need a clear explaination

Joe: what is the exact number

Joe: are you able to answer this

Joe: it seems like I just keep getting the same: twenty (20) times more than the average magicjack's customers usage

Evert: 20 times

Joe: dont type the same thing

Joe: what is the average usage

Joe: I can calculate 20x;s

Evert: that is all I can say

Joe: why

Joe: you dont have the answer

Joe: I need your manager

Chat session has been terminated by the site operator.

• Ke
    Ken Feb 20, 2009

They ripped me off for 50.85 charged my card then tell me my card was declined and they refused to issue a credit or send the product. T
    Like many others on here I was ripped off by MagicJack. I saw the tv advertisements and checked it out on the web. Since I had used internet phone services for the last few years, I thought this would be a great thing to have. Man I could not have been more wrong. I never actually received the device to see if it works but from other reports on here apparently there are issues there as well. My beef is in billing support and being ripped off by the company itself. I use a throw away debit card for all internet purchases so in case the card gets compromised i don't lose everything, and I minimize the damages. I simply go to WalMart and add funds enough to cover the amount of purchase I am going to make. Then I go home and make the charge. When I placed the order online I was billed for 39.95 for the magicjack and 6.95 shipping. I was then asked if I would like express shipping for an additional 3.95 I checked yes on that box and approved a charge of 50.85 That was on Friday 2/13/09. Yeah I know I should have known doing it on that day. Anyhow, On Monday I thought I would follow up to see if it had shipped and to get a tracking number. I quickly found out I could not call, they sell phone systems but do not do business with phones, so no phone number. No email either. They do have a chat line so I tried that. After about twenty minutes of mostly waiting and about two minutes of actual communication with an agent I was told my purchase was on hold due to my charge being denied by my credit card company. Like I said earlier, I use a throw away card and it showed the charge of 50.85 on 2/13/09 leaving me a balance of less than 2.00. Since the charge 50.85 included all shipping charges including the express shipment, I tried to explain to the agent this charge must be in error and that I was already billed and the amount was deducted from my card for express shipping. She would have none of that and after an additional twenty or so minutes she finally put me through to the "next level" of support. I re explained everything to this person and eventually she understood and told me she would bump this up to the billing department and that my product would ship that day Monday. Total time wasted on chat just over 1 hour. I asked to speak to someone in billing and was told that is not possible. I asked for them to call me, and was told they do not have phones (odd a phone company would not have phone lines, and a BIG RED FLAG I might add.) I was reassured the product would ship and all was taken care of. I asked that at least I be emailed when billing had released the product for shipping. No email, nothing came back to me. Not an hour later a day later or even by the end of the week. On Friday, I clicked on the chat link again and here is my conversation. This company is a complete rip off. They went out of their way to talk in circles, not directly answer my questions and to for whatever reason not agree I had been charged the initial 50.85. Please note addresses and order numbers have been changed for privacy reasons Please wait for a site operator to respond. You are now chatting with 'Maynard' Maynard: Hello, how may I help you? Ken: We are on the second attempt at this Ken: I order a MagicJack about a week ago Ken: I paid for express service Ken: twice Maynard: Thank you for addressing your concern to us. I'll be glad to assist you with that. Ken: When I chatted the first time with your online tech Ken: I was told it was on hold because the express shipping charges did not go through Ken: it was returned as dissapproved Maynard: Please confirm if this is correct? Maynard: 3117 XXXX XXX DR Maynard: RALEIGH, NC 27604 Maynard: US Ken: that was not the case in fact it was the second attept by your company to bill me for the express shipping Ken: yes it is Maynard: 02/13/2009 [N]ew Pending [N]ew Pending Order#: DTXXXXXXXXX Maynard: 02/14/2009 [A]uth Failed [A]uth: Amt: $3.95 Code: 999 Ken: I still have not received the magic jack Ken: What is wrong with you people Ken: look at the price you charged me Ken: the original charge to my card was 50.85 Ken: the magicjack costs 39.99 Ken: the original shipping was 6 and change Maynard: You will not receive any magicjack because your order did not went through. Ken: and 3.95 for express shipping brought the charge to 50.85 Ken: that charge went through Ken: the second 3.95 charge should never have been charged Ken: we went through all of this the last chat Ken: I was told by you that my product would ship that day Ken: I want a full refund of 50.85 please Ken: I have never seen a company as bad as yours Ken: and I will be sending this chat to the Federal Trade Commission Ken: along with a complaint to the attorney general Maynard: Please click for the status of your order Ken: exactly so why has it not been shipped Ken: are you people nuts Maynard: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you. Ken: you billed my card 50.85 and refuse to ship the product Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator. You are now chatting with 'Ashton' Ashton: Hi, Please hold on for a while and allow me to review your chat so that I can assist you further. Thanks. Ken: Befopre we begin I want to inform you that this conversation is being recorded and will be turned over to the attorney generals office Ashton: Okay. Ashton: Please wait while I check that for you Ken: This is the second time I have wasted my time spending hours in chat with you only to be told last time it would be taken care of and the product shipped that day Ken: It has not shipped and I want a full refund immediately Ken: When I spoke to the expedited chat rep Monday I was told it would ship that day Ken: you have now wasted another week and nothing has shipped yet Ken: Hello I am waiting for a response Ashton: Are you done? Ashton: May I ask for your sales order number? Ken: DTXXXXXXXXXX Ashton: Thank you. Ashton: Please wait while I check that for you Ken: You said that ten minutes ago I am still waiting Ashton: Shipping Address Ashton: First and Last Name Ashton: 3117 XXX XXXX DR Ashton: RALEIGH, NC 27604 Ashton: US Ashton: Ashton: Please confirm the address above. Ken: everything is correct Ken: we went through all this last Monday too Ashton: Okay. Ken: So what is your excuse why it has not shipped Ashton: I do apologize but your order was not yet shipped because there is an error on the credit card you used. Please check your credit card if you have enough balance on it or you may use different credit card. Please try to update your credit card as well by using this link. Ken: I want my money back Ken: Are you dumb Ken: look at the bill Ashton: Please click here and update your order. Thanks. Ken: you charged me 50.85 which included express shipping Ashton: I'm not dumb, Ken. Ken: you then attempted to bill me again for express shipping Ashton: Please try to minimize your words here. Ashton: Please try to be more professional. Ken: it did not go through because I only use a debit card with the required amount on it for internet purchases Ken: the one not professional is you Ken: you are stealing from me 50.85 and not delivering the product Ken: so I want my money back today Ashton: The best that you need to do is contact your back if the authorization of your card was successfully went through. Ken: Do you not read what I wrote Ken: the card went trhrough fine Ken: you charged me a second time for express shipping Ken: how hard is this to understand Ken: trust me the attorney generals office will understand this fine as well Ken: you are a rip off company Ken: and I will do everything in my power to get you shut down Ken: you have probably ripped off millions from customers like myself Ashton: Please try to listen, we haven't charged you anything yet. Please try to contact your bank company first before confronting us. Ken: You have charged my card and it has been deduct 50.85 Ken: Do NOT sit there and tell me that is has not been charged because it has Ken: I have been reading the reviews opnline about how you guys scam people Ashton: You're using debit card, right? Ken: but this is out and out theft Ken: yes and the debit card shows payment was made Ashton: The difference is, if customer pay with a Debit Card, we automatically get the money since we can't put a hold status for such transactions. But, even if we got them billed we will still keep that bill as hold or pending on our end. If you decide not to continue with magicJack and they're still under the 30 day trial period, then we will give back the charge as "refund". Ken: You are not listening to what I am saying Ken: I want my refund NOW Ken: you have not shipped my product and my card was charged Ken: either you issue the3 credit today or I will turn this over to the attorney general Ken: are you going to issue my credit Ashton: I would suggest try to contact your bank company. Ken: I would suggest you credit my card right now Ken: Who the hell do you think you are Ken: remember ashton your name is on this chat and the attorney general will be following up as well as local law encforecement Ken: you have stolen 50.85 from me Ashton: Please...Please try to contact your bank company for this issue. I can't see it here, that we haven't charged you anything. Infact, the card did not went through successfully. The authorization of your card was failed. Ken: So we are perfectly clear here my records show you billed my card and payment was approved for 50.85 on 2/13/09. What exactly do your records indicate regarding the 50.85 charge Ken: the card did not go through from your end for how much? Ken: 50.85? no for 3.95 Ken: why is that so hard to understand Ken: I have emails from you showing the card was charged Ken: the issue was not and has not been the card not being charged for the proper amount which would be 50.85 Ken: which is 39.95 for the magic jack, 6.95 for shipping, and 3.95 for express shipping Ashton: 02/14/2009 [A]uthorization Failed [A]uth: Amt: $3.95 Ken: somewhere in your system you attempted to charge the card an additional 3.95 for express shipping which was declined because as I said I only add exactly the correct amount Ken: Yes, 3.95 Ken: that is an express shipping charge Ashton: Then, if you want to cancel your order. We can do that and get your refund. Ken: you do not sell magic jacks for 3.95 do you Ken: I want to cancel my order and get my 50.85 refund now Ashton: No, that's the amount for rush shipping. Ken: read above please Ken: 39.95 for the magic jack, 6.95 for shipping, and 3.95 for express shipping Ashton: Please try to understand that you need to wait for 3-5 business days for you can have your refund. Ashton: Okay? Ken: 3-5 days and if it is not there I will send this to the attorney general Ashton: Okay. Ken: there is nor reason it should have to be 3-5 days however Ashton: Should we can it now? Ken: This is unbelieveable Ken: refund the 50.85 immediately please and let me know when that has gone through to the credit card company Ken: what the hell is can it now Ken: I have to be very specific with you due to the fact this will be used as evidence Ashton: As I have said, it will take 3-5 business days for you can have your refund. Ashton: Is there anything else I may help you with today? Ken: Have you credited my account 50.85 Ken: Let me ask you one more thing is there a supervisor I can chat with available Ashton: You're talking to one now, Ken. Ashton: I'd just said that your refund will be credited within 3-5 business days. Ken: what is preventing you from understanding that the second charge of 3.95 was billed erroneously by your system and the 50.85 was the correct charge Ashton: I'm not preventing anything, Ken. I'd just telling you the truth. Ken: what? Ken: do you not see Ashton: What? Ken: you agree that I was charged 50.85 correct Ashton: No. Ken: well then how are you going to iussue a refund for 50.85 if you don't agree to that Ashton: Just the $3.95 did not went through successfully. The authorized was failed. Ken: What are you talking about Ken: Let's start again please Ken: because right now I have no faioth that you will credit my card 50.85 Ashton: Sure. Go ahead. Ken: And I am not getting off this line until I get you to agree you are issuing a credit to my account for 50.85 Ken: So did you charge my card 50.85 for a magic jack Ken: http://my.magicjack.com/[email protected]&ordernumber=DTXXXXXXX Login=Find+Order Ken: please look at that link Ken: and tell me if you see a 3.95 charge for express shipping on it Ashton: Please wait while I check that for you Ken: e Ashton: I see it. Ashton: It was just a summary of your product ordered. Ken: ok in that charge there is 3.95 for express shipping correct Ashton: I can't see any charge payment from your account, Ken. Ken: well there is Ken: let me ask you this if that charge had not gone through why would your decline show as a charge of 3.95 Ken: so when you told me you were going to issue a credit for 50.85 that was BS Ken: If you can;t as you say see the charge how would you have issued a credit for 50.85 Ken: Be very careful how you answer Ashton: That's why I was trying to assist you to update your order. But you didn't do it. How can we ship your order. Ashton: I am. Ken: what are you talking about Ken: you have not assisted me in updating any order Ken: I have asked for a refund and cacelled my order Ken: that oprder was paid for Ken: and charged to my credit card which you have the number on file Ken: 50.85 Ashton: The difference is, if customer pay with a Debit Card, we automatically get the money since we can't put a hold status for such transactions. But, even if we got them billed we will still keep that bill as hold or pending on our end. If you decide not to continue with magicJack and they're still under the 30 day trial period, then we will give back the charge as "refund". Ken: so what nhave I not done to update my order Ashton: Please try to read above. Ken: I have not received the magic jack Ken: You refuse to ship it Ashton: I know. Ken: I am reading above and it does not answer the questions Ken: it is the same thing you said before Ken: I want a refund now Ashton: Okay. Ashton: Please do wait for 3-5 business days for we can adjust your account and credited back the amount. Ken: so send me an email showing you have credited my account 60.85 Ashton: What $60.85? Ken: typo Ken: 50.85 Ashton: Okay. Thank you. Ken: when I go to your change page Ken: it shows 50.85 being held Ashton: You will received an email confirmation after 24 hours. Ken: and it asks me for a new credit card Ken: there is no way in hell you are getting a second card from me Ashton: Yes, just don't proceed because you don't want your product anymore to be ship. Ken: this is absolutely nuts Ken: It's worse than who's on first skit Ken: How do I insure a refund is being done Ashton: Please try to check your bank company from time to time. Ken: Oh trust me I will be checking that but I want a response from you and not in 24 hours I want it now Ashton: I do like it but that's the stated time, I can assure you. Ashton: It is impossible to send a email confirmation right away. Ken: If there is no refund credited to my account in 3-5 days I will be forwarding this to the attorney general to go along with the other 50 or so they have Ashton: Okay. Please try to check from time to time. Ken: And I have already filed a complaint protesting the charge with the credit card company Ken: Have a nice day

• Pc
    pcinstaller Feb 20, 2009

I understand your frustration I too had issues when I ordered 2 Magic Jacks. I tried their complaint system online. It did not take very long to realize I was talking to a computer, and to prove it I asked a football question very easy question. The computer could not understand the question. What I will say is that both my Magic Jack lines are working great and I will buy one for my teenage daughter. (she is on my phone all the time). I hope all works well for you.

also check my site if you like @ www.eestechnology.com

Thanks
    Darrell

• Sh
    shoesx Sep 02, 2009

So basically, unless you're a freak who spends too much time on the phone, you do indeed have unlimited usage. In addition, you were unnecessarily a ### the the rep trying to assist you. GFY.

• Tr
    Transporter Oct 15, 2009

shoesx what the hell are you talking about? Guy asked what's the average, how many minutes, and MJ didn't answer his very simple and logical question.
    I will never get MJ. Even when they start giving it away for free! As everything in this world if something is too good to be true - it's false.

NoirAngelique Oct 15, 2009

I have a magicJack, I use it every day as my primary phone number. Every now and then my call gets dropped but not as often as my cell phone. I think a rational person could easily understand that 20 times the average is going to be a HUGE amount of calls. If you use it as you would your landline, you will have no problems.

I have also had to use their customer support which was stellar. I have no complaints about it at all. The reps in this complaint case made it very clear it was not how long you talk on a call, it's the volume of calls you make.

The magicJack unit is $39.99, which is less than my phone cost. Service is $19.99 a year, but can be as low as $12 a year if you buy 5 years at a time and I think another package where it ends up being $15 a year. Are you seriously telling me you could not get your money's worth out of THAT? People like the author of this complaint and Transporter will lose out on a great service because it's not perfect, even though it's a tremendous value for the money.

This product is wonderful and I'm getting ready to sign on for another 5 years. If you can't see the value in this product, then you are possibly one of those people who complains about everything.

• Tr
    Transporter Oct 16, 2009

To NoirAngelique:
    I am happy for you. Good luck with your 5 year service (if they last that long) But anyway have you ever heard about "customer is ALWAYS right". He asked very simple question. And if they advertise their "thing" as UNLIMITED, it supposed to be, don't you think? If you are not sure here is the definition:

1 : lacking any controls : unrestricted <unlimited access>
    2 : boundless, infinite <unlimited possibilities>
    3 : not bounded by exceptions : undefined <the unlimited and unconditional surrender of the enemy — Sir Winston Churchill>

In my humble opinion if the company states in their commercial a phrase "unlimited phone calls" it means you can be 24/7, 365 (or 366) days a year on the phone and you won't be charged a penny.

Well, I am sure even you can see that their "unlimited calls" it's just a slogan for them - simply put a lie.

Good luck with your MJ

NoirAngelique Mar 16, 2010

To Transporter:

In case you are not aware, all land line companies have an equivalent clause while advertising unlimited calling. It's to stop people from using a cheaper *home* line instead of a business line. That would like for a calling center, ok? Is that so hard to understand? What purpose could an average home user have to ask that question and NEED an EXACT FIGURE if he wasn't trying to abuse the system? Additionally, the customer is NOT always right when he becomes disrespectful or abusive toward the customer service reps, as this person clearly did.

Once again, the reps made it clear it was NOT about HOW MUCH TIME you are on the phone, it's about HOW MANY OUTBOUND CALLS ARE MADE.

How about the next time you go over to Transporter's house, you tell him to lighten up.

I'm actually happy you will never have a MJ, that's one less customer who is looking for problems and can't be pleased for them to deal with.

I've had 3 years of excellent service, I AM looking forward to 5 more.

If there's anything here you don't understand, please feel free to look it up, obviously you know how to do that.

bad product, poor transamission

Product of the year? What a joke!

Don't buy magic jack!!! I have now permanently disconnected 2 mj phones and chucked them into a bottom drawer. Too many complaints from people and business clients I tried to call and talk to. They complained about often hearing a "beep" sound, as if I kept accidentally bumping a button on the keypad of a phone... And I wasn't! They also complained that my voice would cut in and out like the worst cell phone service you've ever experienced.

The sad thing is that the first 2 weeks I had bought the first mj phone, I didn't hear any of these complaints. Based upon that fact, I got excited and went out and bought a second mj phone device!! I should've had my head examined. Within about 4 weeks after buying the second phone, all the reception quality of my phone calls went to hell.

I have the feeling that the mj computer network has a way of giving first time customers preferential reception quality and separately dedicated transmission lines from their central servers. Then... Once your trial period has expired, they throw your phone numbers back into the 3rd rate service quality of all the other millions of idiots that went before me and bought their mj phones. It's a bait and switch tactic, and it's a scam! It's very frustrating that you cannot get anyone to talk to, or get any kind of reimbursement. So the best I can do for now is to plead with anyone thinking of buying a magic jack phone... Don't buy this piece of junk!!! Order a land line cable company phone, or even as a last resort, use at &t if you have to. Anything is better than this garbage technology.

atribunella Nov 12, 2009

blocked access to conference numbers

I have been using the Magic Jack product for the last five months. It worked just as advertised. Yesterday...

terrible phone reception

Don't BUY MAGIC JACK!!! I have now permanently disconnected 2 MJ phones and chucked them into a bottom...

magic jack

Magic jack is a pure scam as far as my experience goes. It doesn't work. Their "support" is a total joke. I...

poor reception

I bought magic jack trying to save some money. That was my first mistake, when I was not recieving good...

magic jack fried my hard drive

My mother always told me not to buy stuff from as seen on tv - well magic jack is one product that I can say is the biggest money/service scam I have every come across. It all seems so cost effective and I should remind you that "its too good to be true!" this item never worked effectively to hold a line and did you know that you have to register with your town for 911 service?!?!?!?! Magic jack fried my 6 month old hard drive. Yes! Thats right it fried my brand new hard drive. I barely have had time to back up my documentation and now I have to pay for service to repair my computer. Some money saver magic jack is! For product that was supposed to save me money, its costing me money. Not including that I have to try and cancel the service that I can no longer use with through my credit card company and return a defective product to a store that magic jack will not support the returned product from. You can be sure I will send this to every telecom publisher and pc publisher I can contact. Magic jack is a joke!!!

• Wi
    windowcowboy Aug 11, 2009

I've had a magic jack for a year and I'm absolutely astounded at how good it's worked...I'm an Computer IT by trade and can safely tell you that the little program you install to use the Magic Jack would do no such thing to your hardrive. You may have had another problem but Don't blame Magic Jack. If you experience any reception issues with it you just need to use a different usb port and always check for updates from the Company. I applaud the man who came up with this ingenious way to save thousands of dollars potentially on your phonebill. Furthermore, I live in So. Calif. and I'm able to call Canada at no additional charge. with att it was about .50 a minute.

Peace,
    Bryan

• Cj
    cjlny Dec 22, 2009

I use Magic Javk at home and even overseas. Imagine having a local US number in Greece. I saved a fortune on one trip alone. I have it running on a Dell PC laptop - runs on Vista - no problem at all. The guy with the bad hard drive had other issues, Magic Jack was not the problem.

• Te
    TekManiac Dec 26, 2009

I am a computer tech. I think your hard drive just failed at an inopportune time (as if there is ever a good time). All VOIP phones have to be registered as you state, because there is no way fro them to know where you are calling from otherwise. I wish you luck, but I dont think it was the device that has given you all the trouble

• Ze
    ZekeV Jun 09, 2010

Magic Jack fried my hard drive as well. My laptop was barely 2 years old so I must agree that it was the magic jack contraption which ruined my computer worth $600. I am fairly sure it was magic jack because it had only been connected barely a month before my laptop became inoperable. What else could it have been? I am now in debt for a new compter at the cost of another $400. I suppose I have little recourse or do I? Does any one have some sound advice?

Zeke

• Bl
    blondbomber Apr 19, 2011

I have had my Magic Jack for 3 years now. I am very happy with the service I get from this product. Of couse if you are using all your ram or running other heavy downloads and high performance videaos or backgrounds there will be some cutting in and out. I have found that if the speaker box on the PC. is turned off that there is no interferences. I believe this is because of screensavers or runnung programs. I do not know what everyone is expecting for $20.00 a year, I mean come on people. Of course this is not going to run perfectlly without any interference or malfunction, but this product does work and I have not ever been charged more than is expected of me yearly. Really this will save the average household hundreds of dollars a week and I have to say if you are pinching for money this is a great way to save on bills. No this is not for the person that wants high quality service and usage for close to nothing a year. This is for the average person that needs to lower bills and still have a home phone for less money, or to avoid disconnection from the services that charge way more than they should for a service that is mostly a requirement. I commend this person for putting this service out there for people that may need it's services or for emergency purposes, it shows that there are people out there that still care about grandma or the average person that can not afford home services.

• Ae
    aendsley May 01, 2011

As a computer and network IT, I can difinitivly say that the MJ device will not fry a hard drive. First it hooks through the USB port and that hooks to the 5vdc powersupply port and the serial bus on the main board. The only connection that the MJ device has to the hard drive is that the application software is stored there. All MJ information is stored on the MJ network server.
    I have used my MJ device for about 3 and one half years. I tried to take a few short cuts on the install and had problems. I contacted customer support and while I understood everything, the instructions may be a bit beyond anyone who can not believe that they made a mistake.
    My best tool for the magic jack was my patience. Once I understood all of the instructions, I had it fixed. I thought that it was a real pain until I had all of the instructions written down and installed a second device. That is when I realised that the special instructions that I got from customer service were the same as the original and complete installation instructions.
    If you take shortcuts or do not follow the install instructions (which are rather simple) then you will have problems, but it will not fry your hard drive. This individual must have done something drasticly wrong, unless of course the individual is using incorrect terminology, which I think is the case.
    Messing with the install procedures and doing it wrong can cause the Operationg System to "lock up" and unscrupulus computer techs can reset the registry to last known good condition( it just takes a few key strokes if you know what you are doing) and then charge for a new drive and OS install time and data recovery time and anything else that they think they can get away with. Unless you have the serial number of the HD you will never know. Really shady techs will reocver your OS then Ghost the drive onto a drive removed from another computer. Then use your drive on the next "repair."

• Ro
    robby06050 Sep 19, 2015

had my mj device for 4+ yrs never had an issue with it, until 2 days ago, when i changed the computer into another room.plugged the device in started doing its thing, next thing i know my computer shut down.tried to restart the computrer, and nothing comp.is fried, grapped my laptop plugged in mj device doesnt work.so my conclusion is mj fried my computer, , so pi""ed now, and i had just renewd my year, a month ago ao

international calling card

I bought an international calling card for $20.00 in the magic jack website. After making several phone calls to Dominican Republic I was told I had 214 minutes left. Again I tried to call a cellular phone in DR; I couldnt connect it, but when I went to tried again the machine told I had only 107 minutes left, what! I did not used any minutes of the 214 mins I had, how can they charge me 107 minute for a call that did not go through?; theyare charging me 107 minutes to try a phone that did not answered my call? I want my money back. Juan Guerrero [protected]

• St
    steph820 Oct 10, 2009

Dear magic Jack I paid $40.00 extra on my plan during registration for iternational calls. I haven't been able to make any international calls so far. is there a way I can get my money bck?

• Kb
    K Brar Sep 24, 2010

We have been Getting several Telemarketing Calls from Connect2world from India, they keep calling and calling day and night.

Finally, we signed up for $20 with my Visa card. They Promised that they will activate my service within 10 mins of time. It has been more than 25 Days, my service is not activated.

Moreover, today when i received my card statement, I was a bit shocked to see a $200 Charge by connect2world.

Now, when I called the customer care number: 1-714-464-7400, no one picked the call. I was more Surprised when a Person by the name of Maksud Received the Call and said that the order was placed for $200 by me. When I said no, he started Arguing with me and later he started abusing me in very bad words.

Finally, he said that he will block my service and make sure that I do not get my Money Back.

For my uttermost Surprise, I also had a talk with the Call Center owner and he was just laughing his hearts out.

I just want to aware all the Indians in USA and Canada, that please do not entertain any telemarketing calls from connect2world as this is my experience with them.

I have nothing more to say apart from making a complain to BBB and lets see what else I can do to them.

I did refer my friends to Maksud, I also need to check what He has done to my Friends.

Connect2world is a Fraud Company, so please beware of Scams.

unauthorized charges

I ordered the majic jack phone jack, with the assurance from their advertisement that I would not be charged for thirty days, well that was not the case. I was charged approximately two weeks after placing the order, and I had not received the merchandise yet, because it was lost in the mail to me.

• Vi
    Virginia Griffith Dec 08, 2009

I recently purchased a magicjack and i have not installed it as yet. my complaint is that on oct 28, 2009 my credit card contained 2 charges 1 for $3.29 and 1 for 20.61 these charges i understand but, on nov 28 2009 my credit card reflected another charge of $46.90 I would like to know what this charge is for, since magicjack in supposed to only be for $19.95 per month plus tax. i would like to know what this additional charge was for

• Bi
    Bickingham Brise Mar 01, 2011

I ordered my magic Jack, because I receive assurance that I would not be charge after 30 days. unfortunately, they took the money the same day. Moreover, instead of 1 magic Jack I ordered two. even though I let them know that mistake I didn't receive my refund yet.

• En
    ENO GERARD Mar 02, 2011

I ordered magicjack because of the free trial claims they made on the free trial ads : "your account will not be charged for 30-days..." My account was debited three times : (two magicjacks @46.90--twice and another charge for $23.16.) within MINUTES!!
    I contacted them at their customer service "chat " line to cancel my order, within two hours of placing my order & had 4 discourses with 4 different customer service people: none of them could find my order in their data base, yet they had it "together enough" to bill me instantly!!! They did however, advise me to wait for the item to arrive, then " return to sender" & just send it back..." Too simple...I want my credit reflected electronically as quickly as my debit!!!
    One item arrived at my address yesterday... in some one else' name...this is appearing to be a scam...I called my bank the next day & they said that because it was taken from my debit account & NOT my mastercard I could not dispute it ...so I have to deal with them now.
    BUYER BEWARE!!!

• Pa
    Paul Tim Whillans Dec 03, 2011

I recently had an unauthorized charge for Magicjack. Tried contactingf online Magicjack 24/7 help but no answer after 1 hour

• Pa
    Paul Tim Whillans Dec 03, 2011

I recently had an unauthorized charge for Magicjack appear on my credit card statement.
    In previous years I had used Magicjack but haven't used it for more than a year
    I tried contacting online help which they say is 24-7 and gave up after an hour.
    I looked up Magic Jack complaints and all I could find were denials and rebuttals to complaints.
    Not an ethical way of doing business.

charges on my att billing

This month when I received my [protected]@t telephone bill I had an extra billing by universal call plan inc. For 19.95 plus loacal and federal charges and tax coming to a total of 21.45.
I called [protected]@t and they told me it coud be a scam. I called the usbi number and I did not get a direct answer as to what this pertains too.
They said it was for long distance calls in the u.S. And canada. I did not sign up for this, and I told them I was not going to pay. I don't know even know what it pertains to.
Can you clarify this this?
Could this be a scam by google? Thank you.

• Pr
    Product tester Nov 05, 2009

William, Magic Jack isnt even affiliated with At&t. The Phone # s dont even relate to At&t. There is no long distance charges with magicjakc except for over seas calls and they dont even use at&t for communications. Its broadband internet. Someone in your house oe close by has ordered that service on your phone with your acct information. Ill say it clear.. MagicJack has nothing even close to do with AT&T. Ie: Its like buying a car and saying you got a much higher electric bill at your home and asking if buying the car had anything to do with it. No.. Hope this helps

none

I said I would Update you on this matter! Magic jack is true to there word! After 8 Months of no phone! they sent me a new unit It works great not like the first one! the first one there was alot of cutting in and out. The other party didn't understand what I was saying. My true feelings are there was something wrong with my first magic Jack. after it went out Yes I did have alot of trouble with techs from Magic Jack. If you are have trouble Email Magic Jack you will find it on trouble shooting page look and search for Contacting Magic Jack! My service now is outstanding! I'm very pleased needless to say! you have to go above the person you talked to on there web site leave them a Email! they will and do work with you. not the bumbling fouls that work for Magic Jack on line help! Remember there is always someone higher up and [censored] rolls down stream!

magic jack is a scam bad review

Please stay away from this scam!!! We got magic jack because we wanted to save money. Magic jack will take your money and you will not see it back. Beware of long distance calls. They say they use at&t, but when you cannot connect you still get charged for the calls. There is not magic jack customer service number, so whoever takes care of your business does it behind a computer, you never can talk to anybody live. Magic jack is a total rip off. Please please please I wonder how much all those people giving reviews got paid for them

Please beware of magic jack, is a scam, magic jack will take your money and you will not see it again. The agents all they do is apologize and say "they are sorry but cannot refund". Stay away from magic jack. Go for the sure thing with if more expensive, at least reliable phone company.
I canot give magic jack nothing but a bad review. Please stay away from it.

Malcolm Stockman Oct 17, 2008

This company promises phone can be returned within 30 days at no charge. However if you try to get an RMA from their website well within that time, they say they have no record of your order. Also they provide absolutely no way of contacting them directly (except to place an order). My order was placed Sept, 21, 2008. I started trying to get a RMA Oct, 15, 2008. I`ll make a copy of this as proof to use with my Credit Card Co. in case I need proof that I made every effort to abide by their rules (as I guess this is dated as it is received). I have all the other emails of order receipt, tracking number, email address, and Credit card number that I tried to submit per their instructions in order to get a RMA. This is absolutely a scam.

does not work lousy customer service

I bought Magicjack at a local Radioshack outlet. When calling, the answering party could not hear me...

joke

I have never had so much trouble getting something to work on my computer as I have had with magic jack. I spent over two hours in live chat with two different women walking me through the "drives" of my computer to enable this and disable that just so it would function. And after all of that, it still doesnt work. It would not toggle between the headset mode and the telephone mode no matter what you did. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME TRYING TO SAVE THE MONEY YOU THINK YOU WILL--YOU'LL SPEND THE DIFFERENCE ON TYLENOL. I WASN'T EVEN THIS MAD AT MY EX WIFE!

• As
    aslam77 Aug 16, 2009

it'll take a ### to mess up magic jack and not make it do what it claims it does. Support and the web site could have been more informative though

unauthorized billing

This was for a telephone unit that I received on a thirty-day trial period. I could not get it to work on my home computers. I returned it one week before the trial period terminated. I mailed it from Ireland. Further, they billed me twice for shipping. The unit has been returned within the trial-period and the charge is unfair and it should be reversed.

• Valerie Jul 30, 2008

I sent for the Magic Jack because of the price. I was told that they would not take any money from my account for thirty days. In five days Magic Jack took $130.00 from my account. The transaction was pending so my bank left the money in my account. Two days later Magic Jack took $90.00 from my account. The bank is helping and 'looking into the situation'. I had to get a different number for my debt card. I did receive the product from MagicJack and I sent it back with a letter stating what I have typed here and with a return receipt. There is not a person to talk too. I tried but there is no one to talk too. I was told the product from MagicJack would be $39.99.

• Ha
    harry Jul 30, 2008

same thing happened to me. they promised - in fact they repeatedly STRESSED the point that they would not charge any money for 30 days.

And they did not keep that promise. And this happened on a checking account that is a little extra lean these high gasoline price days. The result is I have 46.90 gone from an account that needed 40 of that for gasoline tomorrow.

The magic jack is a GOOD PRODUCT. I like it. But for some reason the people selling it cant help but be dishonest in thier business dealings. All they had to do was HONOR what they said - 30 days of NO CHARGES - and not only would they have been paid, but I would have been someone putting up testimonials on their product.

Instead I am telling you all - they lie without shame. And according to my bank, without consequences too.

I hope my complaint with the FTC https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
    is gonna get somewhere.
    H.

• Po
    Polly Jul 11, 2009

• Bi
    Bill50 Aug 31, 2010

Yes, you should receive a refund for the double-billed shipping charges. If you paid those charges through a major credit card company, you can get assistance through them for the miss-billed charges. Typically the credit card company will reverse the charges in question while they investigate the issue. Technically, this means you are not billed/ are refunded the charges. The credit card company will communicate with the seller/vendor of the product in question and make their own determination as to the validity of the charges in question. If the credit card company does in fact establish the facts in your favor, you will be off the hook for the double-billed shipping charges. Should the credit card company find in favor of the vendor, the credit card company will provide you with ample proof and verification of why the charges are/were valid and post those charges to your credit card account. All the while the credit card company is investigating your charges and/or discrepancies’, you will not be billed any interest charges on the amount in question, nor will you be required to pay the particular part of your credit card charges that you have placed in question. If the credit card company does find in favor of the vendor, the credit card company may or may not seek interest charges on the questioned amount back to the time of the original date of the charges. You would be responsible to pay these interest charges and the original charges that you placed in question under the terms and conditions existing with the credit card company, that you would have agreed to by acceptance of the account when you opened it/ or as amended since the account inception. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Simply contact your credit card customer service representative and explain your dilemma. They should help you immediately via phone. It’s also wise to follow-up any phone discussion with your credit card company, with a written explanation; just to avoid any confusion or miss-understanding.

fraud & scam

The Magic Jack is beyond question the worst consumer electronic product I have ever bought.

I bought this device in April 2009 at a nearby Radio Shack outlet and paid cash. When I got the thing home, it worked very well- it booted right up, and worked mostly very well, for a service that costs $2 a month. Audio quality was fair, what with many clicks and beeps and other noises. But for the cost, who could complain?

The real problems started after six weeks. Since that time, the middle of May, things have gone straight downhill. Calls do not reach me. The device will not boot up, or my computer does not recognize it, or something; and the audio quality has deteriorated to the point where I cannot make outcalls at all, because my voice "breaks up" and I am unintelligible to the person at the other end. Calls are dropped constantly mid-conversation. Callers reach someone in another state, or country, or the call is diverted to my voice message box, and the caller is told that the box is full.

But the worst part is that this device has caused people calling me locally to incur long-distance charges as a result. A friend of mine, who lives 8 blocks from here, called me at my 773-area code Magic Jack number, from her 773 land line, which is AT&T. She was billed $22.00 for these calls, even though they are local calls in the same area code! She called AT&T, and the other service provider, whose number AT&T provided her with, and was told that AT& T has complete discretion to decide what constitutes a long distance call.

Please note that AT&T provides the long distance connection for the Magic Jack, as they proclaim on the user interface that pops up when you plug the device into your computer.

I believe that AT&T is sharing in this fraud and that the FCC ought to sanction both companies, and shut Magic Jack down completely.

I am lodging complaints with every relevant authority, including but not limited to the FCC (Federal Communications Commission), my local BBB, my state legislators, my congresswoman, and my senators. I strongly urge all of you posting here to do the same.

Sandyc Jun 24, 2009

That is sad that you had that problem. I have had one for a couple of years and have yet to have a bill or problem. It works fine and boots up when needed, etc. I ordered it and paid for 2 or 3 years so still have time left. I love it. $20 a year, can't beat that. Never had a bill, no one calling me has a bill for it unless it is long distance, of course. Maybe you should get a hold of them and find someone to fix it. I got on the chat line one time and they did help me out. I moved to California and lost my Magic Jack. Called and had to get on the chat line and got another one and still have no problem.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices