Complaints & Reviews

Resolved magic jack crook & unethical

I used Magic jack (#1) on my desk top happily for a year, and period expired but I kept it connected, and used it once in a way. It showed a message it will expired shortly, please renew. I did not renew, few days later, suddenly it said upgrading and changed / screwed up my entire window xp pro. Changes to the system made by Magic Jack did not allow to use restore point. Computer started freezing, not working properly. After few restart it worked ok but all restore point were useless. I had another Magic Jack (#2) which is brand new, I connected and it did not work at all on that desk top computer, but it worked on laptop fine. Contacted tech but they could not make it work, their knowledge was limited it did not work at all on my desk top, and on lap top it worked fine, without any effort.
So I formatted my desk top and re-installed xp pro but still Magic Jack (#2) will not work, I contacted tech they could not make it work. It appears that MJ is copying xp serial key or some file (How Microsoft recognizes your system) and not allowing me to even use NEW MJ (#2) on that desk top computer. When service expires they should stop allowing use and not screw up OS. I am going to look for class action attorney to look into this. FCC is useless, they don't do any thing. If anybody has such experience please report here for attorney to look seriously.

• Dr
    drago50 Apr 16, 2009

I am experiencing same problems with my Imac and I have not shut it down because it changed my password for the second time and I am affraid to shut down and not be able to get back on Can someone please help and I want to talk to your lawyer if they want to start a law suit I think it stole information HELP.

[email protected]
    Guillen

Resolved warning: must plug into usb port

I bought Magic Jack after seeing an advertisement on the Internet. It worked allright at first for about 3 Weeks then It started not Ringing the Phones at the other end when I made calls. Then one day I started Magic Jack and all of a sudden this Message would come up, Warning: Must Plug Magic Jack in USB Port, It was in the USB Port and My computer even Recognized it. After going back and forth on the Instant Messenger trying to talk to Technical support for a few days trying to get it to work, They sent me a replacement Magic Jack. the Replacement got the same Message. I finally had to go back to Vonage.

• Nu
    nuwk3r Mar 24, 2009

More then likely the problem lies within your computer. The problem being that your USB ports on the computer is not supplying enough voltage. What you need to do is buy a self powered USB hub and plug MagicJack into it. You can find a hub here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145036

• Sl
    slickz Jul 27, 2009

I had the same problem ---warning plug into usb ---to make majicjack work i had to format it and copy my adressbook.xml back into the majicjack after formating it then start it and all worked until i shut of the pc.Now i booted it up today and it did not whant to format nothing worked ??? but i fdid go to my daughters home where she was able to format with Vista then I got it back on my xp system a could not??? however it then upgraded with the upgrade that majicjack just came out with .. after it stareted up and the warning came back then this is the funny part it after i rebboted it stared up again and majicjack was back to normal it works fine now without doing anything...

• Pe
    PETER RUSSO Aug 01, 2009

spread the word... MAJIC JACK PHONE NUMBER IS 561-586-3380 AND THIS IS A GOOD NUMBER FOR TELECOM OFFICIALS TO REACH THEM... LISTEN TO THE LONG MESSAGE AND THEN LEAVE THEM A LONG MESSAGE. BOMBARD THESE ### WHO WILL NOT POST EMAIL ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBERS... ALSO, EMAIL THEM AT [email protected]
    FORWARD ALL OF YOUR MAJIC JACK CALLS TO THEM ALSO. THEY HAVE GOT TO LEARN THEY CANT IGNORE US.

maryo1956 Nov 12, 2011

I have tried and tried to work with tech support, first they just cut me off. then when i went back in they wouldn't give me a live agent. I am very upset. I have been trying to get this fixed for two weeks.

Resolved charges on my credit card

I placed and order with majicjack on 2-22-09 and cancelled it the same day, just an hour later because of...

Resolved fraud and cheating

I first placed my order by phone, as it was all automated it didn't take my address, it told me one but it was wrong. Not knowing what to do I went online to try an contact them to straighten it out. When I finally got in touch with them, they proceeded to tell me that my email address was registered to someone other then myself, they gave me her name an address, it was a woman who lived in pittsburg pa. as I had this email address for four yrs. I knew then I was being duped.

Every time I tried to correct the issue they continued to tell me it wasn't me, however I always got there email response at my address. Long story short I wound up paying for this other womans which I had ordered 2 jacks an 2years service which was around 70.00 $. When I never got my order they took it again this time it was for 1 jack an 1 yr. o I was charged again for this order of which I finally received. However I am still out my 70.00$ as they would not believe I wasn't the other lady even though my bank account info they took proved otherwise.

Sam May 23, 2009

Did you also ever know that magicjack tried to charge me over $90.00 for a free 30 day trial? And what they don't tell foljs is that when your credit card company/bank denies a transaction (thanks to my bank - wellsfargo), magicjack takes $1.00? Yes, they tried over charging me $90 instead of $39.95...they never knew I had authorized my bank not to allow any charges from them apart from $39.95 + 6.99 shipping and handling - and that should be after 30 free trial days. But these dupes (without any phone numbers or addresses for such a "reputable" company) wanted to charge the card even though it was a trial---and my bank disapproved!

They managed to run away with $6 but I am done with them. I think the inventor of this magicjack should sit up and sort out some of these complaints, else, soon, he would be done and out because nobody would patronize his product. As of now, about 80% of consumes believe that magicjack is FRAUD - and I SECOND!

Consumers, BEWARE! We don't even know the ID's of the people we chat with and you can wait for hours before you get some to chat with you - they simply SUCK! For now, I am sticking to my phone company until I get a credible one---maybe, I must try vonage or...!

Resolved does not work with wireless on laptop!

I have the magic jack now and so does my dad. His phone works pretty well but mine is crap! I have it hooked...

Resolved outgoing telephone calls get dial get only dial tone. incoming ok, outgoing dialed from keyboard ok! is there a answer?

outgoing telephone calls get only dial tone. incoming ok, outgoing dialed from keyboard ok! is there a answer?

• Fr
    Frustrated MJ user Apr 10, 2009

I am having the same issue. I can dial from the soft phone but not from the actual phone. It worked just fine for about 2 months then a windows update occurred, rebooted my computer and it stopped working. I have tried everything with customer support and they still can't get it to work. Finally I reformatted my entire hard drive, only installed Windows XP Professional and it worked again for about 2 weeks until it happened again. Power went out, my computer rebooted and now I can not make outgoing calls from the phone no matter what I do. I have tried it all, can anyone help?

Resolved horrible scam!

Magic jack promises, and never delivers. My phone calls are all broken up, I tried all and I mean ALL of their "so called fixes" they do not work. I demanded another one be sent to me. That one was worse that the first. They got me, and this guy is swimming in money from all of us goofs!!! I spend a total of thirty or so hours "chatting" with person after person and they could not fix my problem. I hate this product and I would not recommend it to anyone with a short fuse because it will frustrate you to no end. I am throwing my away. Anyone want it? Just pay shipping and it is yours!!

• Fi
    fitz55 Jun 16, 2009

First off I would like to defend Magicjack and state for the record this is a truely a great product. Like all new things there are minor bugs and flaws with its setup and use. They have since cleared most of them up and has an upgrade to their product which again corrects flaws. I have been using this product now for 1 yr and saved over 500.00 by eliminating my cable company phone (39.95 monthly plus tax) As far as customer service phone number - when my magicjack arrived it had a phone number and after a couple of calls I spoke to a customer service rep and cleared up my billing issue - same as everyone else you get billed quickly not like the 30 day free test drive and then they will bill you. This was corrected within 7 business days. I would also state for the record that you need a good internet connection - dial up and low end dsl will work but very poorly. Cable or Fios (verizon) is ideal. Plug and play - I also got my area code. So for all you people out there who think this is a horrible product i beg to differ. I am a computer network technician by trade and have fully beat this product very hard in testing and really did not have to tweak it at all. Just remeber that your connection is the key element and if its slow so will everything you do will follow that speed including your Magicjack.

Resolved Fraud and cheating

Before the 30 day warranty was over, I asked for a replacement Magic Jack because tech support couldn't help to get it to work, but they denied me a replacement. They said it was my USB and computer and to get a new one to use the Magic Jack with.

It started working on its own after 2 weeks, but the voice quality was so bad I could not hold conversations with people 80% of the time, tech support told me it was probably my computer, my phone, or my internet net speed. I replaced all (new computer, increased internet speed to fiber optic, and purchased 2 new phones). I have done all that their tech support has told me to do.

It has now been 5 months, and my problems have escalated. Now my phone will not ring (a line prob. Not a computer prob). It says that the line is disconnected when people dial my phone number, and a lot of times it will be a constant busy signal even though I am not on the phone. When I can make a call, there is a beeping sound that won't stop, and the phone calls will drop in the middle of my conversations.

On Feb. 13, I emailed Dan Borislows company email address ([protected]@magicjack.com) I was answered by a man named Marvin. Marvin was not able to help me, he would not fix the actual line he just kept trying to reset the actual magic jack and taking me through the same steps the techs online always do.

As of Feb. 17, Marvin stopped emailing me and has refused to answer me after I made this request: “Can you switch me to a new phone line and send me a new Magic Jack as per my original request the first few days I had this while I was under your 30 day guarantee? As of today, Feb. 19, 2009, my incoming call problem is still not resolved, my phone line still does ring, voices are choppy, and voicemail doesn't come on half of the time.
I tried to send an email to Marvin/Dan but they will not answer now. I have sent a complaint to the FL Attorney General, BBB, and now complaintsboard.com.

I am urging Anyone else having problems to file a complaint with the FL Attorney General and the FTC.

• Al
    ALLAN IN TEXAS Apr 13, 2009

A SUCKER IS BORN EVERY DAY AND I WAS ONE OF THEM. I BOUGHT MAJIC JACK IN MAY 2008, AND AT THE SAME TIME I BOUGHT AN EXTRA YEARS SERVICE.
    NOT ONLY DOES THE MAJIC JACK NOT WORK ALL THE TIME, SOMETIMES IT DOES NOT WORK AT ALL, DROPPED CALLS, BUSY SIGNALS WHEN I AM NOT ON THE PHONE, AND NOW THEY WILL NOT HONOR MY EXTRA YEARS SERVICE ( WHICH I REALLY DON`T CARE ANYMORE).
    THE ONLY SMART PEOPLE ARE THE ONES THAT DREAMED UP THIS SCAM, AND HAVE RIPPED OFF MANY, MANY PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF.
    THERE ARE NO HALOS ON MY HEAD, " BUT WE ARE ALL GOING TO HAVE TO ANSWER FOR OUR WHAT WE HAVE DONE TO OTHER INNOCENT PEOPLE IN OUR LIFETIME".
    YOU KNOW THE OLD SAYING--" IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROABLY IS."
    " A SUCKER IS BORN EVERY DAY".

Resolved it is a fraudulent ponzi scam

Purchased The Magic Jack in April of '08 and it is an absolute fraud. After using the product for 45 to 60 days problems were experienced. Though the initial problems were taken care of, the same problems reappeared continuously. The majority of the Customer Service people try, but immediately the hand of failures is shown by the questions when Firewalls need to be removed, it is your phone even though it is the same phone that you have used and when you change the phone it still remains the same. The problem is with YOUR equipment, the recommendation is to buy additional equipment and your system may work. It is ongoing but one thing is definitely now showing as a white flag of guilt. Magic Jack is offering a 5 year renewal program for a 60% discount. IF Magic Jack was properly working for even a slight majority of the new buyers, given the current economy the sales would be going through the roof simply by word of mouth. Certainly the retention rate of existing customers would not be dropping to the point that a 60% reduced price could be justified when sales are already robust, or is there a requirement for this discount because the Ponzi scheme is coming apart? Please try to be nice to the CSR's that try to help you, they are only trying to make a living by keeping a job helping people with something that they know does not work. That has to be frustrating and they also have to eat and pay bills. Have read some that have had some success, but am curious as to why these people would look under Magic Jack compalints to post there adoration for the product. One specifically said that he was "a good friend of the inventor and the Magic Jack works perfectly". That sounds much like my being 50 years old and saying that I can prove that I am honest because I have a note from my mother, or maybe I missed something. What does the rest of the population feel about that? Anyways, for anyone that reads this prior to buying into the Magic Jack scam, don't buy it yet, maybe in a few years it will have a better network. For those that have joined the ranks of us "CHATTING" on this board, you are among company of those that are interested in trying something new. A Pioneer as such because many people will not try something until it is proven in a clinical test. My friends, we are the clinical test. DO NOT BUY THIS AT THIS TIME, unless you want to be a Pioneer of something that does not work as of yet.

• To
    Tom Mar 24, 2009

not anywhere near a ponzi scam thats not even the definition of a ponzi scam look it up in wiki

• Lo
    Lorraine Edwards Mar 24, 2009

I had just posted a complaint on another subject. I saw "Magic Jack" on the left side of my computer screen. I read one complaint. My MJ hasn't been working for over a month. I thought it was a problem with my computer!! I've tried all the "help" recommendations but haven't been able to use the phone on a regular basis. Yes, I guess those of us who purchased Magic Jack are the "pioneers."

• Mj
    mjlike Apr 01, 2009

I love Magicjack. Now I love it even more that I got the caller id to work on my phone by getting a fixer from www.magicjackcallerid.com

unauthorized charge

On November 19, 2008 I ordered a majicjack and was charged $43.85 November 20, 2009, but I never received the Majicjack in the mail. On December 17, 2008 I called Majicjack to complain that the Majicjack was never received. December 18, 2008 I was charged $100.99 for two Majicjack which I received in the mail. Todate I was charged a total of $144.84 and have onkly received two majicjacks.
Majicjack had a special on in December, 2008 and I should only be charged for one majicjack.

Resolved customer service chat bad otherwise service good!

I recently started using Magic Jack and personally I like it but I don't like the customer service chat...

Resolved undisclosed compatibility issues

I haven't been able to make this thing work for more than a day at a time. When I shut down the computer, the jack isn't recognized on boot up. I have repeatedly downloaded updates and it will work as long as I don't turn off the computer. If I do, same story. I went round and round trying to get the Live Chat customer service to pop up (they do that thing where they try to wear you out clicking page after page until you finally get to log in to the chat, "Click here... no click here.. no click here... try the FAQ, now type in your question... now click here"). Long story short, customer service said, "past 30 days... no refund." Period. I also never got the email with the renewal code for the second year I prematurely purchased when I ordered the darn thing. I asked numerous times to have it resent and they would say, "we resent it." and there was nothing in my box. "Can you check your junk mail settings, please?" They aint on. Believe me, I WANT THIS email. Anywho, they finally gave it to me in the LiveChat but I had to go through all my credit cards and give them 8 numbers off the card to verify my account.

Oh, and it turns out they KNOW it won't function with several popular music/media CD burning programs but they never mention that on the website. I was told to delete Nero software and it will work. Well, great... I paid more for a professional version of Nero than for the damn jack! Yeah, delete the software... that's an answer.

When I asked for a list of compatible software they said, "unfortunately, aint none." I am expected to buy different versions of burning software and have a go until I find one that works.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE.

• Ne
    networkr00 Jan 27, 2010

My technical problem was very similar.

Don't ever get MAGICJACK voip phone service. They took my 5 year subscription fees, then couldn't fix a problem 1 year into the 5 year service, and would not refund the remaining four years after over 45 hours spent online with numerous chat sessions in an attempt to solve the problem. At less than two dollars an hou...r, getting the lousy $65 back just wasn't worth my time anymore. Mine will go in the trash.

Resolved scam, scam, scam

[protected], [protected] THESE ARE THE ONLY NUMBERS I WAS ABLE TO TALK TO SOMEONE. JUST IGNORE WHEN IT SAYS YOU HAVE REACHED THEM AFTER HOURS AND IT WILL RING. THIS IS THE BIGGEST FRAUD I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES. WHAT PART OF THIS COMPANY IS NOT A FRAUD? I HAVE TALKED TO THEM THROUGH THE LIVE CHAT AND ON THE PHONE. THEY CHARGED MY CARD THE SECOND I HIT SUBMIT. NOT 30 DAYS LATER. . [protected], [protected] YOU WILL HAVE ALOT OF FUN TALKING TO THEM.

• Pa
    PatriciaAM Jul 01, 2009

My magic Jack does not work! I spent 2 hours on the phone from tech to tech asking me to do the same thing. the forth tech promised to fix the problem!! No more chances, no more time to spend on the product, I went to the store to exchange the product for my defective JACK...same problem, laggs my computer...cant always dial out or receive calls... CUSTOMER SERVICE IS TRAINED NOT TO HELP! This is the biggest rip off ever! DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

• clemay Jul 05, 2009

Is the cord going from the back of the Magic Jack to your phone over 6 feet long?
    If so, it can't be. I had similar issues, until I installed a shorter cord.

• Mi
    MICHEALWHITE956 Oct 02, 2009

I THINK THAT SOME OF YOU GUYS WILL FIND THIS ONLINE CHAT CONVO WITH 2 MAGIC JACK REPS KINDA HELPFULL. I look at this as a stepping stone to understanding if they are a scam or not and i do beleive in some form they scam

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Heather'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK419080521516X

Heather: Hello, how may I help you?

Micheal: Hi heather how are you

Micheal: ok i need to know something about the trial offer of magic jack

Heather: I'm fine. Thank you.

Heather: May I know the specific issue on your magicjack, please?

Micheal: i realize that at the trial page it ask for my credit card now how much is charged to my card for the trial

Heather: Please provide me the sales order number.

Micheal: i dont have one because i havent done it yet i just need to know how much will be charged to my card for the trial

Heather: The magicjack device on trial is $39.95.

Heather: Plus the shipment of $6.95 for standard.

Micheal: how is that possible the trial page says Use our Phone Service free for 30 days, make all the free calls you please. 100% Risk FREE - you pay nothing. (Hurry, less than 10, 000 magicJacks are eligible to be shipped for the Free Trial Offer Today, Friday, October 2, 2009. This offer is not available in stores and will expire.)

Heather: Due to the nature of the Free Trial Offer, this Free Trial is only available for Credit Card users. If you use a Debit Card, your Card will be charged right away, but you will still receive our 30 Day - no questions asked - Money Back Guarantee

Micheal: oh so its a lie that means that you guys are lieing to us on your website when it says and i quoate PAY NOTHING FOR 30 DAYS

Heather: The amount will be held for 30 days and will be properly charged after that period.

Micheal: NO MATTER HOW U PUT IT ITS STILL CHARGING MY CARD THE FULL AMOUNT WETHER ITS A AUTHERIZATION OR NOT

Heather: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are now chatting with 'Christy'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK419080521516X

Christy: Hi this is Christy

Christy: I will be assisting you.

Christy: Please hold and let me check your previous chat. Thank you

Christy: Thank you for holding.

Christy: Michael magicjack has 30 days trial. The amount will be temporarily hold and will be charge after 30 days trial.

Micheal: i fully understand that but what your telling me very much differ from what is quated on your website

Christy: That is the nature of online purchase Michael, your card wil not be charge with 30 days. If you do not like teh product you can return it within 30 dasy and the amount that was hold will be release.

Micheal: then that should be placed on the website not some fine tuned pitch to make people beleive something thats not completely true

Micheal: people need to know that money will be held for 30 days instead you tell us its completely free for 30 days

Micheal: also why is there no contact number for you guys

Micheal: your selling phones yet you have no number

Christy: We use Tech Chat to better assist you. By using Tech Chat, we can send you instant upgrade links and run several diagnostic tests, that cannot be done over the telephone. We are also able to see where you are located, what OS and Internet browser you are using. Lastly we can see that your Internet connection is working too.This will provide the best Customer care experience and keep you most satisfied.

Christy: You can place an order throgh our site www.magicjack.com

Micheal: hun u need to have a phone system as well not everyone like talking on the computer to someone thats gonna take thier money

Christy: I believed that your concern will be available in the near future in no time.

• Mt
    MtnDewGyrl May 03, 2011

Here is my conversation too:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
    You are now chatting with 'Lloyd'
    Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK436020479331X
    Lloyd: Hello, how may I help you?
    Erin: hey...I just ordered a magic jack on my credit card but got charged even though yall are doing a free trial and just wanted to know why I got charged
    Lloyd: I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me assist you with that.
    Erin: ok thank you
    Lloyd: May I know if you are using a debit or credit card?
    Erin: credit
    Lloyd: May I have the first 4 and last 4 digits of the credit card that was charged please?
    Erin: 4447 5145
    Lloyd: Thank you for the information.
    Lloyd: Please wait while I check that for you
    Erin: and I got charged yesterday even after I canceled the order right after I did it because I didnt know you had to use a credit card instead of a debit card so now Ive been charged 2 times...not really happy with Magic Jack right now...I didnt even place the order yesterday, I mean I never pushed the submit order button
    Lloyd: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.
    Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
    You are now chatting with 'Riona'
    Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK436020479331X
    Erin: I came back to my computer and it was submitted
    Riona: Hi, this is Supervisor Riona and I will be assisting you for today. Please let me read your past conversation with the other agent. Thank you so much!
    Riona: Please disregard above
    Erin: ok
    Riona: Thanks
    Erin: um...hello?
    Riona: One moment please...
    Riona: Only Order Number: DT05129322 for Order Date: 05/02/2011 for One magicjack has been found here associated with your email address. Erin, This order has already been canceled from our end.
    Erin: OMG Ive been charged 2 times
    Riona: Have you placed any other order Ervin?
    Erin: 5/2/2011 12:16 PM VISA Check POS Debit $48.82 MAGICJACK-COM PHONE 561-594-2140 FL 5/2/2011 12:16 PM VISA Check POS Debit $1.00 MAGICJACK-COM PHONE 561-594-2140 FL
    Erin: yes
    Riona: May I know when you tried to place second order?
    Erin: 5/3/2011 003432 MAGICJACK-COM PHONE 561-594-2140, FL $1.00 5/3/2011 003542 MAGICJACK-COM PHONE 561-594-2140, FL $48.82
    Riona: Please wait while I check that for you
    Erin: the first one was with the debit card the second one was with the credit card...I dont know the order number because I still havent gotten an email
    Riona: May I have the first 4 and last 4 digits of your cards?
    Erin: debit card is 4327 6406 the credit card is 4447 5145
    Riona: Please wait while I check that for you
    Riona: May I have your full name which you use on your cards?
    Erin: Debit card its Erin B Gaines credit card is Erin Gaines
    Erin: thank you
    Riona: You are welcome
    Riona: Only Order Number: DT05129322 for Order Date: 05/02/2011 for One magicjack has been found here associated with your email address and Credit Card 4327 **** **** 6406. Erin, This order has already been canceled from our end.
    Erin: ok then why did I get charged on my credit card too
    Erin: Im like really upset with Magic Jack
    Riona: One moment please...
    Riona: May I know how much amount you have got charged on your credit card?
    Erin: $48.81 + $1.00 for tax I guess?
    Riona: As I have checked here. I have not found any other order on your card. Please try to contact your card company for second charges.
    Erin: OMG this is ###
    Riona: I do apologize Erin, But it is not showing any other order on your card.
    Erin: I mean what am I supposed to say to my credit card people?...that I got scammed by Magic Jack?...thats gonna look really good
    Riona: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
    Erin: ok
    Riona: Erin, I have checked it out very well from our end. We have not found any second order on your card.
    Erin: try this number DT05132128
    Erin: did you find it?
    Riona: One moment please...
    Riona: Thanks for information. Order Number: DT05132128 for Order Date: 05/03/2011 for one magicjack device has been found here.
    Riona: Subtotal: $39.95
    Riona: Shipping: $10.90
    Riona: Taxes: $2.44
    Riona: Total: $53.29
    Riona: Adj'd Total: $53.29
    Riona: Tax Rate ID: US - 4.8% REGULATORY FEE
    Riona: Tax Rate: 0.048
    Erin: ok so when am I going to get my money back on my debit card? and why doesnt it tell you to use a credit card NOT a debit card online when getting the free trial?
    Riona: Please allow me to inform you that if customer pays with a debit card, we automatically get the money since we cannot put a hold status for such transactions. However, even if we got them billed, we will still keep that bill as hold or pending on our end. If the customer decides not to continue with magicJack and they are still under the 30-day trial period, then we will give back the charge as a "refund".
    Riona: Do you want to cancel this order also?
    Riona: no payment were applied to Order Number: DT05129322
    Erin: I was talking about the one I canceled
    Riona: Yes, The DT05129322 is the order number of canceled one.
    Erin: why doesnt it tell you that in order to get the "Free Trial" you MUST use a credit card, NOT a debit card?
    Erin: ok so when am I going to get my money back from that?
    Riona: As I have mentioned above this order already has been canceled and no payments were applied for this order. It means you have not charged for this order.
    Erin: This seriously must be a nightmare and Im going to wake up any minute now
    Erin: but I did get charged
    Erin: so far I have spent $100 on Magic Jack and yall dont have it together
    Erin: Im just completely dumbfounded
    Riona: Erin, Please try to understand you have not charged for Order Number: DT05129322
    Riona: If you want then you can ask it from your card company.
    Erin: OMG yes I have...I showed it to you but I will show you again...
    Erin: ask them what?
    Erin: yall are the ones that took it out
    Erin: This is completely insane...Im really surprised Magic Jack is still a company
    Riona: Please CLICK HERE and fill out the form. Make sure that you enter the correct information for us to be able to handle this as quickly as possible.
    Riona: Please click on above fill the form.
    Erin: ok...what kind of form?
    Riona: If your money has not refunded from your bank then please click on above link and fill the form we will send the details to your bank and you will be refunded as soon as possible.

Resolved magic jack qualty & live agents

I bought the Magic Jack in Spt 08. I am very pleased with it, I don't know why these people are having...

Resolved unauthorized billing

I have had the following problems with this item; malfunctioning product; does not change phone number; I do...

can't get refund

I've been trying to get a refund for the extended service plan that I paid $59.95 for and doesn't even kick in until the end of my initial year of so-called service you get with the purchase of the MagicJack. However, their customer service people can not understand that and insist on interpreting my request as a request for a refund on the MagicJack itself which is beyond their 30-day period for a refund. I've sent out at least 8 emails to them trying to tell them I do not want a refund for the MagicJack itself, but for the extended service plan.

Anybody reading this should be warned NOT to buy this product. I had nothing but headaches with it from the start and mistakingly tried to get it to work beyond the 30-day refund period. MagicJack sounds too good to be true and it is.

• Ne
    networkr00 Jan 27, 2010

Resolved fraud / lies / no customer service

Shame on Magic Jack for the Scam they have unvailed upon it's own people of America. My complaints are...

Resolved mel's toupe

To Magicjack:

I have no clue as to the effectiveness of your product --- but have no interest in purchasing ANYTHING from a company that uses a pitch man like Mel Arthur. Is this guy for real? His toupe is absurd and I cannot take my eyes away from it and I cannot stop laughing long enough to actually review the product. Get a life, Mel!!! And when these people eventually pay you, buy a new hair piece that doesn't look like you got it at a Halloween store!!!

RFP

• Rf
    rfq Apr 20, 2009

Agree, the only thing better than the bad toupe is the hunk of bad cheese under it all. Mel is the King of Cheese and should also buy a new suit. Hey Mel, you have worn that same bad suit for at least 20 years...Even they guys at Ott Lite canned you for that...get a clue...

Resolved watch out

MagicJack stresses in its ads that you can try it free for 30 days, and that all you need to do to use it is Plus any phone into it, plug it into any USBport, and pick up your phone to talk for free.Their material even includes quotes along the lines of "This is so easy that grandma can do it!"

HOWEVER, while my magicJack just arrived at my home around Dec. 15th, I just found out today (the 20th) that it must be physically back in their hands before the 30 days since I ordered it on the phone are up or you have ipso/facto ordered their product! In other words, I would have just about had to mail it back the day it arrived! So much for a free 30 day trial!

Another example of false or misleading advertising: they rave about how you can take the magicjack with you when you travel and call free from anywhere, but neglect to mention that you actually need TWO magicjacks if you use it for all your local and long distance calls.

There is also what I consider to be misleading advertising by omission. MagicJack loudly emphasizes that one of the service you get, like free voicemail, is a free number. It neglects to mention that this means you have to have a brand new phone number which will have the same area code but the rest of it, including the prefix, may bear no resemblance whatsoever to your current number! Grandma might be able to do the installation (though see my comment below) but I bet she didn't realize that she'll have to notify all her friends and business contacts of her new number!

When they refer to the easy 1-2-3- steps, they neglect to inform you that you must fill out a very confusing registration form before you can do anything. This form does such disconcerting things as ask you to select as an option free outgoing calls. Why would that be an option if the whole point is that you just buy the magicJack and then your telephoning is all free for a year? It also includes a Terms of Sale which again refers to opting for free outgoing service... When you look at FAQ, you're told that to get answers to relevant questions (e.g. are there any times of day that are not free or is the time of the call limited in any way, ) you must look at the Terms of Agreement, but if that info is buried in there somewhere I didn't see it.

To top things off, there is absolutely no direct contact info: no address or email or phone through which you can register a complainy (as opposed to asking how to do X or Y).

I am very, very disappointed in this product and will not recommend it to anyone.

• Be
    beardie Aug 09, 2009

It seems to work as advertised. Works great for me.If things change I will let it be known.

• Do
    donald mcleaish Mar 10, 2012

Any Law Firm with class action suit against MagicJack...they take immediate payment of $85, know my area code ..zip code is not accessible...then make promises to refund after equipment returned...then lie to say never paid, but they say they have already make refund...just a true SCAM...and a wealthy law firm deserves more wealth paid to them by MagicJack

• Do
    donald mcleaish Mar 10, 2012

CLASS ACTION AGAINST MAGICJACK...

Resolved complaint to mississippi attorney general's office for fraud

Hello,

My name is Thomas Allen. I am having some serious problems with the Magicjack company. If anyone else is having problrems and they live in Mississippi I am trying to get a group of complainants together to make a complain to the Mississippi Attorney General's office to request a fraud investigation be considered against this company. If you are interested in signing such a complaint contact me at [protected]@cableone.net

tom allen

• Harsh Realities Jul 19, 2009

why wait?

take them to small claims court... if you have any fight in you.

• Harsh Realities Jul 19, 2009

Why would you think $20/year would provide any kind of quality, reliability, or integrity?

Before I upgraded to FIOS from RoadRunner, getting 50% more bandwith and 100% less problems all for about 45% less money, I canceled the phone portion of my account.

I recommend you shop around for a VoIP (voice over IP) phone provider that has the features- and price you want.

Some top rated providers, some of which I have personally tested include:

viatalk.com
    voicepulse.com
    future-nine.com
    callcentric.com
    voip.ms
    voipo.com

TWC is offering the same phone "feature" set as available from the Bells in the late 1970s. That's yet another way they gouge you.

If you are a little adventurous research the feasibility of setting up an asterisk server in your home to save serious cash on your phone costs. A user friendlier option is PBX in a flash; "orgasmatron" is a popular ready-to-go package. Once you swallow the cost of a server, as little as $300, you can get flat rate incoming calls for as little as $3 per month (or pay by minute rates similar to outgoing) and outgoing calls billed as little as $0.0105/min. You will make NO sacrafice in quality when correctly configured unlike some of the other choices in the market.

G711 flawless quality awaits.

Anonymous American Feb 24, 2011

I have had excellent service from magicjack, if your voice quality is bad then it must be your internet service. If you didn't receive a unit you ordered then you should have went to a retail store and purchased the item. This company has brought innovation to the telephone industry, and saves us money. Don't try to defame this great company for your own mistakes.