Kohl'sripping off customers wrong prices

D

I spend alot of money at kohls but will never step foot in there again. I made a 250 purchase there the other day and i have it all in car to return. I have had this happend just about every time i shop there, the sale price does not ring up. I purchased a pair of docker shorts on clearance for $4. I was charged $20. When the cashier handed me the receipt and i noticed she called someone over who said i would have to unbag all 4 bags and they would have to rewring, with an attitude mind you. My other option was to take to service desk in far back corner of store. I also needed to be at work in 20 min thats 10 min away. So i ran to cs. I explained what happend the cashier had atleast called and told her only because i bolted with shorts in hand and no bag to the back. I expressed that the cashier shouldve caught this. Its a yellow clearance tag. I was told thats why they have monitors thats my job to make sure it rings up correctly. I said then why have a cashier whats her job? She replied she is to busy to watch every item she rings. Bs. . . It was 8am no one in line even behind me. I asked how was i to unload cart, while she rings as i put up cause counter small, and watch the panel on the other end of the counter? Come on? I was given the differnce of the $ and no sorry or anything. Maybe if they had to be accountabl for incorrect pricing as walmart policy. They are milking probally millions extra out of consumers this way. Later that day at my daughters basketball game i shared my unpleasant experience with 10 or so moms, 5 of them attested to the same thing and no longer shop there. The other 5 im pretty sure wont chance it. I love the items they carry and the quality however if they hire people that dont have to do there jobs i will spend my money somewhere they do. They could save alot of money and go to those dumb self check outs that i hate.

Sorry kohls you just lost some more customers and i will continue to share my story.

kohlsemployee Jan 10, 2008

Honestly you were complaining about unbagging 4 items? it would have taken the cashier maybe another 2 minutes. I m a kohls cashier and customers have never had a problem with making sure they got the correct prices.

• Je
    jenna evans Jan 31, 2008

Ugh. It's not the cashier's fault that the item rang up the wrong price, and it's your responsibility to catch that. If the cashier read every single price tag & then compared it to what came up on the screen, ringing up customers would take forever, and then people like you would complain about how long the lines were, how busy you are, how you don't have time for that, etc.

• Va
    Vanessa Feb 21, 2008

I'm a cashier at Kohl's. It's impossible to note EVERY single price on every item people purchase. Yes they have yellow tags, sometimes they don't ring up for the correct price, but when you have a line with 20 people waiting for you to ring them up you can't catch everything. That's EXACTLY why those monitors are there. It's the easiest thing in the world for the CUSTOMER to see that the computer didn't ring up the correct price [which ISN'T the cashiers fault] and all they have to do is point it out.

Customers will never be happy, you give them great fast service and they get upset because the price isn't coming out right [why can't you just say "that's not the price it says here" and all the cashier has to do is CHANGE the price that it's ringing up to. NOT wait until after you've paid], or you take your time with each item and then they tell you you're slow.

Jordan Feb 27, 2008

I have worked at Kohl's for nearly two years. I work in the customer service so i deal with this kind of thing dozens of times per day. When ever we have clearance markdowns, we have had upwards of 100,000 go clearance that we have to ticket. It is not an easy task. Some items are mismarked, labeled as clearance when its not (people also do this as a scam. They peel off yellow tickets off of one item and stick it on a new one) etc. You need to realize that we do the best that we can. For god sake, we are human too. We all make mistakes. Second, please refrain from writing in all capital letters. It is really obnoxious.

Marco Apr 02, 2008

I was a KOHL'S customer for over 4 years and never missed a payment whenever there was a balance in my charge card, in fact I never carried a balance. Back in Dec 2007 we made some purchases and put it on the charge card. For whatever reason we misplaced the bill and consequently missed the minimum payment of 15 dlls. The total balance on the charge card was 85 dlls and some cents. I later summited a payment for the total amount and my charge card was down to 0.00 again. I recently order my credit report beacuse I was denied for a personal loan and the reason was "delinquent payments". I have carried a clean credit record for the last 7 years and my credit score was in the mid's 700's. I was shocked to find out that Kohl's has sent those late payments to my credit report and severely hurt my credit history. I will never buy anything from Kohls again and I will discourage everyone from doing so. I do not belive that someone's credit should be damage by been late on a 15 dlls payment. Consumers be aware that KOHLS can ruin your credit history for 1.00... awful company, ungly lending practices...

• Dr
    droxy Apr 26, 2008

Kohls is one of the store we shop all the time. The prices are the best I have seen in ages. The above issue is a petty issues compared to the discount Kohl offers to its customers.

• Sh
    Sharron Sep 09, 2008

This is in response to all the Kohl’s cashiers and workers who responded to the complaint about the wrong prices ringing up on their registers and their attitude toward the customers who have to deal with this problem.

First Kohl’s was founded on giving their customers good value and good customer service. True, there are mistakes made during the signing and tagging of items at Kohl’s, but it has never been Kohl’s stance to put this responsibility on their customers. And if a problems exist, for whatever reason, it is the responsibility of the store to correct it, it has always been this way in the 8 years I have worked for Kohl’s as a floor associate and cashier. To my knowledge, there are no chain stores in this industry except Kohl’s, that gives cashiers a button on their registers to correct pricing and signing problems quickly and efficiently while the customer is being checked out. And that button is there for the customer. Any internal problems within a store are not the customer’s problem. And since in reality the customer is paying for the wages for all Kohl’s employees I feel it is important that the comments made at this site by Kohl’s employees do leave the public to think that the opinions voiced by them are the attitudes of all Kohl’s cashiers and associates.

Customers don’t have to shop at Kohl’s, they can shop at any store they want to. In order to pass on savings to customers Kohl’s is set up as a self service store, just like a grocery store. Customers mistake Kohl’s for a full service store like it’s competitors and do not understand there are no sales people, but to offset this Kohl’s tries to screen employees and place the best customer service minded people possible to work in the stores. To take care of customers and get them checked out as quickly as possible has always been the way I was trained.

• Je
    JerseyGirl08005 Jan 03, 2009

I'm a kohls cashier and its a tough job really it is.
    You start of by saying Hi how are you? only to get no respond or a grunt by a disgruntled customer who decided to come to a DEPARTMENT STORE on there lunch break during the holiday season who waited in line all of 10 mins.
    Next your trying to ring up the merchandise making sure you didn't scan anything twice or not scan at all.
    you occasionally glance at the prices but the customer really should try to catch them but isn't because there on there phone. but they make sure they watch you really good when your taking off that 15% 20% or 30% coupon. before you even asked if they want to open a kohls charge they swiped there credit or debit card so you say push the credit debit button and then as there signing they look at the screen and say Oh what pants are 55.98?
    So then they get nasty with you b/c you have to assume that they didn't want pants for that price then call a manager who then does a simple void after then your left to re-ring up all the merchandise.
    So don't complain about a Cashier yes there are some nasty one out there but maybe when they came into work they were happy and upbeat only to have one screaming customer to ruin there day

BTW: We wern't hired to look at every single tag we ring up we were hired to just ring up the merchandise and if anything is wrong adjust it. not spend 30 mins looking @ every single item. belive me it takes a long time i had to do it spent nearly 35 mins on one customer doing just that do you think she was pleased? No.

• Bi
    billyboy Feb 01, 2009

You see the type of mood you all put on these poor cashiers. You complain to them.. they complain to us... we complain about them complaining, aghh! I'm sure these cashiers are very polite, eager to please and want to do a good job, but you can't expect a 100% error free experience. There's always room for human error. It's been my experience that when you treat people with respect (this goes for you customers and Kohl's assocites) and treat them like an actual HUMAN, everyone is more than willing to go the extra mile for each other. Think of the other person, as your mother... or if you hate your mother, your grandmother. I like my grams! :)

• Be
    BEVERLY LOOPER BOLES Apr 06, 2009

In december was pushed into a credit card at kohl's for 10% off. Paid off the card in full in jan. Never looked at the acct again. Well they said had a late charge for 8 days, then a late charge with fees, then another late fee because i did not pay the late fee. No emails to inform me of this. Called me 3 months later. Was rude treated me like i was a deadbeat. Brushed me off as if i was nothing. Will never never never have anything to do with kohl's. Beverly looper boles

• Ca
    cashier Apr 29, 2009

the reason she wasnt looking at every price tag is because there are tons of dishonest people who rip the clearance tags off and put them on regular clothes. its hard to trust alot of customers because of stuff like this. im glad you dont come to kohls anymore, its much easier to work there when we dont have people like you freaking out about stuff like that. take a chill pill woman.

• Jt
    jt12 May 21, 2009

before you completely ward off kohls, you should understand that the store is separate from the credit card company. chase bank bought out kohls credit card a few years ago, so maybe you should consider banning chase and not kohls.

• Jt
    jt12 May 21, 2009

a huge pet peeve of mine is when a customer is charged what they think is the wrong amount and accuse the cashier for charging them too much. hello people! this is not 1825! the bar code rings up the item and the computer signifies the price. cashiers do not know the prices for the millions of items in the store and enter the prices of the items manually into the computer. come on. learn how a store works.

JAN Jun 11, 2009

This is wrong to the credit paying person ...then i thinks Kohls needs to warn credit card holders this problem. KOHLS was a very good compamy to shop and have a credit card with untill CHASE BECAME INVOLED.

NOW I HAVE A COMMENT PLEASE ...BEAWARE ...THERE IS $29.00 CHARGE THIS MONTH DUE TO THE CHANGE IN DATE TO PAY YOUR KOLHS BILL WATCH OUT FOR AUTO PAY THE CHANGE DID NOT CHANGE TO YOUR SCHULED AUTO PAY SO $29.00 FEE ON YOUR STATEMENT 6-9-2009 funny how that they can do things to honest ON TIME paying people.j

• La
    Lauren Hill Jan 11, 2010

This is hilarious. One customer complains about poor customer service and we have 100+ employees here defending for themselves. Pleaseeeeeseeeessss...how sad.

So tell me, dear Kohls associates, when you ring up items by scanning the bar codes, do you even bother to look if you're scanning the right items? For example, if I stole the bar code of a shirt and put it onto a different shirt (let's make it easier for you, 2 shirts are from the same brand, but different designs, and different prices), would you notice? Tell me now, would you simply scan the bar codes like robot and NOT notice that the shirt in front of you should have a different bar code? IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make sure that you scan the items accurately. I bet if you're ringing up something like $4 and it looks like it should have been $40, you WOULD NOTICE, wouldn't you? So why is it irrelevant the other way around?

Okay, so you might not be aware which items are on sale or clearance. You can always tell the customer, as you ring up, tell them something like, " oh by the way, this shirt is ringing up as $10.00, is that correct? It wouldn't take you any time at all, not even a second, because you would say it as you scan. This also serves as a reminder for customer to check the price and pay attention to you and therefore, help you do your job better.

• Sh
    Shannon, Mommy of 4 Feb 06, 2010

Anyone who thinks Kohl's has great deals needs to compare prices to other stores. I will NEVER buy a toy there unless it TRULY is clearanced out because they mark up the price so much THEN take 40% off and it's still $2-$15 more than Target or Walmart. Their diamond earrings? 1/3 t.w. 14k princess cut studs "on sale" for $899. kayjewelers.com has same thing on sale for $179, regularly $249. Yeah what a deal. I've never had a price ring up wrong at Kohl's but I shop a lot and compare prices and they are just a rip off.

• Ov
    Overworked Apr 06, 2010

The customer service you people want would cause the prices to not be so cheap and you wouldn't return.

and yes, the cashier has other things to do, they don't just stand back there to ring people up.

This is called understaffing to offer cheap things to wal mart trash to herd them in like the cattle they are.

KOHLSKOHLS Jun 17, 2010

I totally agree on the attitude part of the KOHLS CS. I also do believe that not all of them are like that. There are some with nasty attitudes and have no idea about how a transaction works yet make a strong argument with the little knowledge they have. I think it is Kohls responsibility to make sure the items scan to the right price else do not put it on sale. A customer tends to trust that the item rings properly just like how we trust the quality of a product. Also, some people are not good with maths where they can instantly calculate that 60% of a product is $$. They tend to depend on the system that the system would have taken care of the required calcualtion for the percentage off. Additionally, since everything is done via the program, all is required is to make sure the barcodes are attached properly on the product and is properly tagged to the product.

• Ri
    RickD12 Jun 18, 2010

I love Kohl’s. Reasonable prices, sometimes great deals, reasonable quality, wide selection. Honestly I can take the responsibility for checking the prices, and when a store carries tens of thousands of different items the cashier should ring them up, not inspect them and try to judge the correct market price based on other similar items. Two all-the-time complaints with Kohl’s and two one-time occurrences:
    Regular complaints:
    1) STOP GRILLING ME OVER THE STUPID CHARGE CARD!!! I know they love to make money on people who charge everything and carry that balance with interest north of 20%, but stop pushing it on everyone! I’ve been approached by a roaming associate who wouldn’t leave me alone to shop by pestering me about the charge card. I’ve been approached by the same type with a special scratch-off discount card if I used a Kohl’s charge, which they only bring up after you scratch off the card in front of them. I’m asked every time if I want to put my purchase on my Kohl’s charge. When I say “No” I’m asked if I have a Kohl’s charge. When I say “No” I’m asked if I would like to apply for one. When I say “No” a third time they will ask if I’m sure and tell me more about the special savings by opening a Kohl’s charge. So it takes four “No”s at the register and sometimes a few while you’re trying to shop just to be left alone from getting a credit card you do not want. So annoying.
    2) This is Kohl’s specific - the cashiers move in slow motion. It isn’t hard to scan things and put them in a bag. Watching these people move as if they are all suffering from chronic arthritis and every motion is painful to make is very annoying when you’re just trying to leave with a couple pieces of clothing. Yet having one person in front of you will mean a good five minute wait. Can they pick up the pace, or can we get self-serve checkouts? This is pretty much every cashier in every Kohl’s store I’ve ever been to (has to be a dozen, if not more), and for some reason the same chronic slowness doesn’t happen at other retail stores, at least not like this. It doesn’t help that they’re forced by management to go through all the steps from complaint #1 with each person either.
    One-time issues:
    1) Do they not cross-train the staff? I was in a return line, with one person who had no idea what she was doing in front of me and two people (one noticeably peeved) behind me. There was one poor associate at the return counter trying to deal with the clueless woman trying to return things. It took over ten minutes until I was assisted. I understand returns aren’t a priority and staffing multiple people to take them is something they would rather avoid. But I felt very sorry for the poor woman who had to deal with an idiot trying to return things and three frustrated people also in the queue, because of the simple fact that during this time at least three other associates and a manager walked right by, some of them even going behind the return counter – none were in a hurry to get somewhere else but from the lack of help it was clear that none had a combination of the awareness, courtesy, and most importantly the training to open one of the other return registers and handle a return or two. I’ve worked in a retail store before, and staff were cross-trained to handle these things and were guaranteed to get a talking to if they would ignore an obvious need for assistance. For a manager to ignore a line would have been unacceptable, and he or she would have went to a register, took care of the customers and helped the associate.

2) I racked up some serious Kohl’s cash after making a large purchase. I came in when my Kohl’s cash could be used and purchased a few items to use it all. The cashier decided to ask if the items were a gift or for me, if they were for a house or an apartment, what I bought to get all the Kohl's cash, if I just moved and that’s what prompted my purchase, and where I moved from. I pulled out my cell phone and made a phone call as additional questions were on the tip of her tongue. There’s a difference between being friendly and being intrusive, and I don’t need comments on what I decide to buy, much less questions about my personal life based on my purchase.

• Sm
    smurphy Oct 03, 2010

I couldn't even read your whole complaint because the ALL CAPS is so annoying.

The cashier has no way of knowing how much an item is supposed to be on sale for. All she knows is what her screen tells her the price is. It's your responsibility as the person actually buying the items to make sure you are getting the price that you thought it was. Why would you pay for something without making sure you are paying the correct price? If you feel that you can't keep an eye on what the prices are, slow down at the checkout. Or ask the cashier to tell you the sale price of each item she rings up, that way you don't even have to watch the screen. If something rings up at a price different from what you thought, tell the cashier BEFORE you finish paying. If you wait until after you pay and get your receipt, it is a whole lot more difficult to get the issue fixed. If you say something before paying, it just takes the cashier a push of a button to change the price to what it should be.

It's your money, you need to be more proactive. Don't blame the cashier if something rings up the wrong price, they have absolutely nothing to do with the signing in the store. Just tell her the price is wrong, and let her fix it.

• So
    Sotra Nov 25, 2010

As someone who is working part-time as a Kohl's cashier, I have to tell the complainers, don't direct your anger at Kohl's associates unless you can imagine having the willingness to do the same job for the same pay. Like others I know of, I received no training on the register other than watching other cashiers, and asked repeatedly for a manual, which I was ultimately told does oot exist. Associates would love to not have to ask customers about signing up for the Kohl's charge card or for email alerts, and it is rare they don't back off after the first "no", but it is probably also the most regular thing they receive unpleasant heat about from supervisors when a customer slips past without being asked about those things, since they are what grows the business, as well as ultimately helping you the customer on that day's very purchases if you haven't signed yet. Bottom line: what more do you want for your minimum wage for about half the hours of a work week, often at inconvenient times, and with only one break, and being all business absolutely all of the rest of the time?

• Ov
    Overworked Dec 13, 2010

Oh i do that all the time! I go to the clearance rack and take a sticker off something and put it on what i want to buy for $4. Isn't it great!

Kohl's Cashier Mar 07, 2011

As a Kohl's cashier for 3 years now, I am sad to hear all of these complaints. First of all, in regards to us always asking about if you have a Kohl's charge, we have to, we get docked points on our reviews if we don't ask. We are required to ask you everyone a minimum of three times if they want a kohls charge. We must get 3 nos from customers in order to stop asking. Second of all, it is not my job to make sure that you are getting the correct prices for the items you picked out. Do you guys just randomly pick up pieces of clothing and hope that they are a good price? No, I am pretty sure that you guys look at the prices. I am not in housewares so no I dont know the exact price of that pot you randomly picked up. Third of all, we are doing the best we can, we try to accomadate as many people as possible but by the end of the day, after being told how bad you are and having customers get mad at you for something that is beyond my control, we just don't have the energy in us to fight with you anymore about it.

chelsea1987 Mar 26, 2011

Donn and Laura are you freakin stupid?? Obviously, you guys have never had a job as someone in a customer service/checker job. I don't work for kohls, however, I do work as a checker at a grocery store and deal with jerks all day. Do you really think these people or checkers in general learn how much every item in a store is? Yeah I'm sure a checker who probably makes little more than minimum wage stays up real late studying the new items introduced to the store Daily. And no Laura its not the job of the checker to tell you each process as she/he rings it up. You know how long of a line that would cause? The screen at the register is there for a reason . Why else would the screen be so visible to the customer? You have a right as a customer at the end or beginning of a sale to view each and every item questionable . Start taking responsibility for your own action and stupidity.

• Me
    Mednick24 Apr 14, 2011

Well Yeah, I don't think anybody is going to read this but I might as well express my opinion. I have shopped at Kohl's frequently and I bought quite a bit of clothes from there. My complaint is that 1 pair of jeans I have purchased there the first day of wearing them the button popped off, within the first 10 minutes of wearing them, which I don't understand because is was the metal type of button where the knob on the other side of the button goes through the pants and should be totally secure. Another thing is I have purchased a pair of shorts before and once again the button popped off probably the 3rd time wearing them. Another time I bought some nice looking pants ( not jeans ) and the waist fit fine, but the legs were very, very tight for some reason. And today I have purchased a pair of camoflague style shorts and it has alot of pockets after wearing them for a bit I noticed the amount of pockets and saw one on the side it has two snap buttons, I tried to open the pocket by unsnapping the button and the button was snapped so tight it wouldn't unsnap and it ripped a little hole in my pocket. I like the style of the clothes at Kohl's but there quality and durability are terrible. I would much rather shop somewhere like Marshal's they have nice quality clothing for very low prices and never have a problem with durability. Thanks.

creolehint May 04, 2011

Bella go get a real job and stop making Kohls your career LOL

creolehint May 04, 2011

I hate working for Kohls they have the most dum policy's ever

creolehint May 11, 2011

bella777 go to bed

• Co
    Cooldivide May 12, 2011

Plain and simple... Those who work as cashiers or in customer service will 99% of the time afford the customer the same level of respect and kindness that the customer shows them. Don't expect someone to smile their way through your transaction when you're treating them like a piece of trash.

creolehint May 12, 2011

bella777 (A.K.A) Mr. or Mrs. SAVE A KOHLS I bet they not paying you enough for all the time spend on here trying to save them right right also they don't pay you for being the Kohls Mascot either LMAO GO GET A LIFE

creolehint May 12, 2011

and BTW Bella777 I use to work for Kohls now I'm working in a Hospital as a Registered Nurse ha and believe me I don't do Kohls never cared to shop in there I shop at Macy's or Nordstrom something more worthful better brands and material

creolehint May 14, 2011

Bella777 did somebody hit a nerve if you don't care then why respond you work for Kohl's you know customers come first remember the "Yes We Can" Policy

creolehint May 14, 2011

Bella777 you are the one that's lame because you reply on most of all the Kohl's complaints on this websit it could be 10 years old or 10 hours old your name is on it bahahahahaha so who lame now your ### is

creolehint May 14, 2011

Bella777 (A.K.A )Mr or Mrs SAVE A KOHLS looking ### bahahahahaha you camp out on this website just to see who makes a complain about Kohl's darling so you have no life

creolehint May 15, 2011

LOL are you bipolar Bella777 you come save Kohls ### like you are Customer Convience Online LOL go to bed and go kill yo self while your at it Kohl'ssuck.org that's all I can say bahahahahaha now go save that

creolehint May 16, 2011

LOL Bella777 Glad you know it

• Fr
    freddy nb May 21, 2011

The same thing happened to me. Their negligence about informing customers about problems with their accounts is just a way for them to make money on late fees and harrass people. There must be some law against this practice.

• Bl
    blackandwhite15 Jul 03, 2011

This is to share my dissatisfaction with the purchasing visit at the store located in Groton, CT today.

Prior to the visit to the store, I called the store and talked with Shannon, men's apparel department. I explained to her that I wanted to use a 20% coupon, received via mail, toward the purchase of athletic socks for my son. I clearly explained that my spouse, who is the Kohl's Charge account holder, was physically unavailable - traveling. I clearly explained that I wanted to pay with my own credit card. Shannon replied: "Come to the store and we will work it out for you." This conversation should be recorded.

After diving 12.6 miles from Niantic, CT to Kohl's, Groton, CT store, I selected 2 6-pack GoldToe black socks and headed to pay for the merchandise to the cash register. I explained to the cash register representative that she needed to call Shannon as I had talked with her prior to visiting the store. Shannon arrived at the cash register indicating that she had misunderstood that I was an authorized user of my spouse's Kohl's Charge account. The store manager approached to the cash register backing Shannon up. I indicated that I am fluent in English, so it is not possible for anyone not being able to understand. Even though I had indicated that I was going to pay with my credit card, the store manager called Kohl's Charge Department to ask for some approval. The Kohl's Charge Department asked for my spouse to call them to add me as an authorized user. I clearly indicated that I did not want to be added as an authorized user but rather to pay with my credit card. I also offered to call my spouse over my cell phone and the store manager declined. Both, Shannon and the store manager, refused to honor a 20% discount. Finally, I ended driving another 12.6 miles back home with unwanted merchandize.

I really do not want to think the above mentioned Kohl's representatives are treating customers different.

• Ai
    Aidan Jul 04, 2011

I can easily see how Shannon misunderstood you. You said you wanted to pay with your own card. I would have also assumed you meant that you had a card on the account.

The 20% off discount is only available through the use of the Kohl's Charge. The coupon will say so clearly. Why not just add yourself to the account? Then you can use the coupons, and go online to pay off the account however you want to do so.

I really don't see why you're making such a big deal out of this. Next time? Read your coupon, and be clearer with what you're asking. Shannon knows how the coupon works, so assumed that you were speaking about using your own Kohl's Charge, because she trusted you also read the terms of the coupon. If you'd asked if you could use your own VISA or MASTERCARD or AMEX card to pay, she would have said no.

• Da
    David DeQuasie Oct 26, 2015

All you babies who supposedly work for kohls and are whining, should all be fired! Do your damn job, or find a new one, Simple as that! Don't like that answer, well guess what, tough, customer is right or else you find a new job!