Kmartnon-existent customer service

K-Mart Management

July 29, 2009

My 93 year old mom, residing in a nursing home, needed some new shoes. My wife recommended we shop at Kmart, expressing that you have a good selection. You were featuring a ½ off second pair, so we were enticed into buying two pair. Note receipt # [protected] on 7-29-09 at 3:49 PM, in Bonita Spring, Florida.

When we arrived at checkout, there was only one checker for the entire store # 3677. We noticed a manager visiting with what appeared to be friends or family. We noticed two associates visiting together at the Customer Service desk. We noticed other associates milling around the store near the check-out. We were in a very long line of customers awaiting checkout and the customer at the lone cash register appeared to have some sort of payment problem with her large purchase. It was obvious that no Kmart associate was concerned for any of the customer’s time, service, return business or their impression of Kmart as an organization.

In frustration, I pulled out of the line and went, with my two pair of shoes, to the customer service desk as my time was limited. At the time I stood at the Customer Service desk, one of the many wondering Kmart associates joined those at the desk to discuss personal plans for the evening. Your associate “Alana” finally waited on me. As you will note from the referenced receipt—Alana and/or your computer failed to recognize the advertised 50% discount for the second pair of shoes and charged the full price to my debit card—no information or question on the keypad was provided to verify the amount of the sale. When I was handed the receipt, was the first opportunity I had to notice the absence of the advertised discount.

What followed was even more bazaar. Alana had to call and call to motivate the supervisor to address the appropriate credit. After a long period, with my wife and granddaughter in the hot car outside and growing restless, Alana asked me to swipe my debit card again for a second charge that included the advertised discount. I walked out with a handful of receipts and 2 pair of shoes—which I am not sure will actually fit my mom.

The saga is not yet ended. Kmart has not credited my debit card with the first incorrect charge—thus I’ve already paid more than twice for the shoes.

Ever wonder why over the years Kmart has not grown at the pace of Wal-Mart? In my opinion, it’s all about the ineffective MANAGEMENT of your organization. It all starts at the top and flows downhill all the way to your Bonita Beach store 3677.

How Kmart handles the subject ordeal will be interesting to note.

don e. lester

[protected]

[protected]@yahoo.com

• Ke
    KESHIA LEIWS Jul 30, 2009

wats up this is keshia lewis wat u doing

• Ko
    kobuu Oct 02, 2009

You used your debit card? Well then right after the cash back option there is another screen that tells you to press yes or no to verify the amount of the transaction. Politely bringing the length of lines to the attention of the supervisor usually works, too. I agree, there are some problems with the associates that you mentioned just from your account. As for crediting your account: does your account actually show two charges? From experience as a manager the supervisor most likely "post voided" your original transaction at a later time thereby negating the entire sale. And since you don't have to be present for that, nor have your card on hand, they wouldn't do it right as they are trying to get you out the door. Check your statement again and if there is only one charge and no credit then the original transaction was essentially deleted.

• Ke
    KESHIA LEIWS Nov 03, 2009

it's my bad sorry give me advice