Menu
JC Penney
reviews & complaints

JC Penney
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

1276 complaints
144 resolved 1132 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of JC Penney. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
1:24 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was refused as soon as I got there in hopkinsville, ky. I had a 12:00 appt for a cut and partial highlight. As soon as I walked up to the counter and told her I was there for my appt. (I made it exactly at 12:00) she said "oh no, I can't do your hair you didnt tell us you had long hair" I said nobody asked me if I had long hair and its getting cut...

8:44 pm

JC Penney - poor service, and poor quality

I went to JCPenney/Rockaway store, NJ on May 2015 to get my first progressive lenses. I was told that there were 3 types of lenses and I decided to get the one with high definition. The glasses came in about 2 weeks(before than expected).
When I picked up my glasses, I was told to try for 2 weeks, because I needed to get used to the transition between reading and distance. I understand that, but I realized that the reading area was very small and went back to the store to check if I had got the high definition lenses. I was told that I had paid for the high definition, but not the top one. It got me very frustrated because I had asked for the high definition and didn't know that the person would decide to change my decision and charge me for a less quality type of lenses. I was using my insurance and paid in full for the difference that the insurance wouldn't pay.
I asked about having the lenses upgraded to the HD and I was told that I couldn't use the insurance anymore, and I had to pay around US$180 more to have it upgraded. I decided to try some more with the ones I had, but it didn't work.
I went back to the store and asked to change it to bifocal (with the line). I just got my glasses back and again the reading area so small that my husband that also wears bifocal compared with his and said that there is something wrong with my lenses. Unfortunately, I can't return it and have my money back. One thing I know, JCPenney optical will never have me back for business.
Date purchased: 05/21/2015 Store:0497 Term: 611 Tran: 5572

8:22 am

JC Penney - incompetence poor quality product

This once awesome store has become nothing but a bunch of rubbish with incompetent employees. Just over a year ago I bought a queen size mattress set from the JC Penny store in Altamonte Springs, Florida. In less than a year the rubbish mattress set began to fall apart. After an insane number calls to customer service, they sent out a "Technician" to examine the mattress set, who determined that it was indeed a rubbish mattress set, I was assured he would send in his report that day and that I would hear from customer service shortly. And when I heard nothing, it was back to multiple calls to customer service, where finally, I had the option of having the set replaced with the same rubbish model or I could pick out a new mattress set at the store, pay full price for it up front and then be reimbursed for the cost of the original mattress set. I chose that option and paid around $1600 for the new set. When they delivered the new mattress set I was informed that they had no paper work to pick up the old mattress, so back on the phone to customer service yet again, it seems that the clown at the JC Penny store didn't bother to included the pick up - refund information when the order was made. This despite tell myself and my wife that she would absolutely take care of it. Now it remains to be seen if I will have to go to court to get my promised refund. A few things are sure, I will NEVER do business with JC Penny again, I just closed my credit account with them, I made sure to use a Visa card to purchase the new mattress set, and I would advise you and everyone to avoid JC Penny at all cost. This has become the worst retail store ever.
And the parade of incompetence that is JCPenny just continues! This morning, August 7th, 2015, I get a call from the delivery company wanting to schedule a pick up of the old mattress, that was picked up yesterday, for which I am supposed to get a refund. Considering just how incompetent and clearly clueless this company has become, it looks more and more like I will have to go to court to get my refund for the garbage mattress set. It would not surprise me in the least if the rocket scientist at JCPenny delivery trashed the old mattress.

J
9:51 am

JC Penney - treatment of employees

I feel that the store where I work discriminates based on age. They will hire you if you are older, but you will not get many hours. They only like the 20 year olds and give them all the hours no matter how little they work. All management cares about is getting customers to open credit cards, that comes before everything, including sales. They must make a fortune when people use a penneys card. Employees are constantly harassed about getting credit. They have begun putting our names up on a board at the start of each month and when you get a credit app your name comes down so everyone can see who is getting them.
We are told we must be loyal to the company, even when you work for them for years and work hard but are always the one that doesn't get hours. They don't care how hard you work, they only care that you are 20 years old and get lots of credit. I worked hard for years until I realized it would never do me any good or get me hours, now I hide when it's time to work just like the 20 year olds do. Some customers are down right abusive and mean and hardly a day goes by that someone doesn't yell at me about something the coupon doesn't work on. I don't know why customers think that sales associates control what works on coupons or care if they get 20% off. No matter how abusive a customer gets we just have to smile and be polite to them and put up with it. Working in retail is really not worth it!

1 comment
Jul 27, 2015 12:10 pm

I am in Central PA- Selinsgrove. I can confirm much of what you posted. Your wording is better then mine.

JC Penney - not the frames I ordered

I recently ordered two pairs of glasses from JC Penney Optical, my sunglasses and reading glasses. When I was selecting my frames, I even got the opinion of another customer in the store, as well as my hairdresser and a client she was working on at the time. The sales person, who was a very nice woman, also agreed that they were the ones that looked the best on me. I really like them also, so I was greatly anticipating picking them up. When I went to do so, however, and the employee handed them to me, I immediately told her, "These are not the frames I ordered." These frames are way too large to be attractive and enhance my face and my eyes; they look like men's frames, honestly. She assured me they were the right ones. I got them home, none of my family thought they looked good on me, and when I went out that night, not a single friend of mine did either. I know for a fact that these are not the frames I purchased; I am an artist, so the attention I pay to detail is not of small proportion. I paid three hundred dollars for glasses that were lovely, and wound up with these huge, ugly frames that I am literally ashamed to even be seen wearing. I don't know how to get this issue resolved, and would appreciate any help or advice that anyone could give me. Thank you sincerely, A. Sikorski

10:45 am

JC Penney - rude stylist

Stylist Ann Jones arrived fourty minutes after her first client who waited for her. She proceeded to be rude with everyone clients and.co workers included. Short with customers and extremely obnoxious including a comment to me directly which she refused to repeat. All of the other stylists were fantastic, incredibly helpful and friendly. The overall experience was great unfortunately there was a disturbance in the environment caused by the unbelievable lack of interpersonal skills displayed by Ann Jones.

3 comments
May 05, 2016 2:25 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I had a problem with the hair department i got a weave they told me it would been under 200, i didn't mine paying that, but my hair was a mess, the weave show, no matter how i comb it this cost me 300 for a mess, i still cry of my hair n cost i told the manger she was rude and didn't care what i had to say and im stuck with a weave that everybody can see n i out of 300 $ i feel like crying, stay away from this hair salon they dont care about you, just the money

Aug 22, 2010 3:54 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

complaint was sent in 2008 about inferior sofa, received nasty remarks. In 2010 had a financial problem sent half payment, but account is constantly adding late fees and outrageous interest rates. trying hard to pay off account, but it will take forever. I am on social security. but have never missed a payment. I pray that this company &bank will be turned over to fdic for illegal fees.

Aug 22, 2010 4:59 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I do not have overlimit fees. talk or read it correct. no more replys to ingnorance.

V
4:42 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I asked stylist if she knew how to cut natural hair and she said yes. I Showed her a picture of the simple cut I wanted. She said she could cut it that way. I had been growing my hair back since chemo and it had a lot of length to it. I expressed I wanted to keep the length on top and to shape and taper the sides. She cut my hair extremely short on the top...

View 0 more photos
3:43 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I went to J C Penney on Dec. 9th looking for new curtain rods. I found 2 in the store and i needed 1 more. I checked at the check out and I asked would they know when more of the rods were coming in. They said NO we do not know when any shipments are coming in or do we know what is on the shipments that arrive. You will have to order the extra rod and you...

B

JC Penney - About jewelry. Lots of it

Bought. a lot of jeweler from store had problems with about15 pieces of jewler.Either the neckles would breck or rubys ha ve falling out on two separat times on rings on one ring then earrings back post falls. of before even worn 3necklaces. broke and that is just one of the 3piece jewler .Then there is different watchs that eitaher said. tititenummt. And it turned bronze .Then another watch turned green on wrist .Then two others ones had water get into the glass even tryed to blow dry lightly n try to leave in sun for two days to see if that would help. But then the time. n date eould be off then we have the buy backs which one or two things i didn t want them to buy back .IZ just wanted thise fixed.So do you understand the wait. time on these pices. of jew

U

JC Penney - employment

I started my job at JC Penney exactly one week before Thanksgiving. Let me start out with this. They were VERY last minute in hiring me. I had put in my application in September. When I was interviewed, it was a group interview, and there was no second interview. I was hired the same day. I was given no formal training. Everything I learned I pretty much learned on my own, though my coworkers did help me out. When they decided to put me on computer courses, I learned nothing new. Third day in on the job, I happened to offend the scheduling manager over something VERY trivial (and I mean VERY trivial. Like, when I told people about it, they raised an eyebrow and shook their head). I do not lie about these things, lying profits no one, and there was someone else right beside me when the situation happened and even they felt bad for me. After that, she was always very short with me. I even apologized to her the next time I saw her. She told me she wasn't upset, but something tells me otherwise. I worked a total of 8 days there before they stopped scheduling me. This was my first job. I had no idea what to expect at all. My coworkers were fairly understanding, I was even becoming friends with one of them, and even my other managers didn't even seem to mind me.
While I can't say I was a great employee, I was clumsy at the cash register (once again, only worked there a total of 8 days, my last day was December 6th). In spite of that, I can say I tried my hardest to work beyond my circumstances. I tried my hardest. Whatever I did never seemed to be enough. The atmosphere in the store became suffocatingly materialistic, empty, and extremely unfulfillable to me. I started coming home extremely depressed, and I already struggle with depression without this. When the scheduling manager didn't schedule me in for the next two weeks, I decided to let it go. I knew that that person had decided to fire me without actually firing me. They didn't have the decency or the professionalism to actually let me go and tell me whether it was personal or work-related. I found out today that I was the only person they stopped scheduling in after Black Friday. They didn't do it with any other temps. In fact they're going to hire on one of the temps. One thing is for sure, I will never shop at a JC Penney, ever again, nor will I work for one again. Hopefully, it can still count as experience and I can find a job that will treat me better.

5 comments
Jun 03, 2008 8:00 am

I recently tried to pay the balance of my JC Penney card at the local JC Penney store. In the past, I have waited on line and watched as customers were allowed to pay their balances with debit and credit cards. However, this clerk told me that I would not be allowed to pay with my debit card as it was against the store's policy. This is obviously a lie as I have seen other customers pay their bill this way numerous times before.

D
Jul 20, 2010 3:47 pm

I bought a Serta mattress from jc penney's that has been verified to be sagging 1-5/8 inches in the middle but they won't replace it because it has a stain from where I had cut my leg. Does Penney's re-cycle old mattresses? Whey else would a stain matter when it comes to support?

Dec 25, 2014 12:30 pm

I like how these employees mess up and think it is the company's fault. You even admit that you were sloppy on cash. You had no training ect. I am sure other people were in the same situation as you, only they do not whine and bad mouth their boss. Before you go get a another job you have a lot of growing up to do.

Dec 24, 2014 7:35 pm

Clumsy at the cash register? Can't scan a price barcode? Do you realize that people (often with an 8th grade education) used to have to push buttons on a cash register, and get it right? And heaven forbid...make change! I'd be depressed too. And offending the scheduler, like 3 days into a job? Yikes! One wonders what the so-called "trivial" issue was there. I shudder to think.

B
May 13, 2009 2:08 pm

you are incorrect...

jcp store policy prevents you from paying your credit card bill with a debit or credit card.

SOME stores, at managers discretion will allow the cardholders to use their credit or debit card to purchase a GIFT CARD, (which IS an acceptable form of payment) and then utilize the gift card to pay their bill...

T
7:03 pm

JC Penney - customer service

Customer service representative Monica (in men department) didn't want to go to the back of the store and get a size Levi jeans that was on sale. We had to look for another representative to go in the back and get 1 or the 2 pair of Levi that the computer said JCPenny had in inventory. Why come to work If your not going TO WORK

6:25 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I been working for this company for about 4 years the first year I had to file a report against a supervisor for sexual harassment. When the supervisor got "let go" my nightmare started. Someone from management cleared my whole schedule I had no hours. I talked with the assistant manager and indeed he knew who was doing and told me that if it ever happened...

12:38 pm

JC Penney - poor service

A person who is the first customer of the day should NOT have to wait 1 1/2 hours after their eye exam to get help in ordering glasses. Boise, Idaho's JcPenney Optical business better get on the right track, or lose customers. Apparently they have not trained their employees that this is not acceptable. You pay a pretty penny for the glasses, and I find this to be unacceptable business practices. I do not suggest you waste your money here. Find an optical center that is for real, this is a joke. I think Wal Mart even has them beat, wow!

L
9:55 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Our newly remodeled JCPenney is huge and beautiful but impossible to shop in!! The aisles are very wide but they have no shopping carts. I recently purchased a blender and some sheets. Had to carry them, along with my purse. I would have loved to shop more, but couldn't carry everything !!! They have some kind of "drag behind you" cart, but that doesn't...

V
9:44 pm

JC Penney - wronful termination

I started working at JC Penney on 5/13/2014 to 6/13/2014 and I was let go last Friday basically for taking the bus and not able to do what the Manager Vince wanted, I felt very discriminated against my race and because I have a son. He call me to the office and very rudely told me he never would have hired he knew I could open and close, but I was doing both so I had no idea what he was talking about. Earlier that morning an employee that was there for 20 years quit without warning. That was no reason to yell at me and being so rude and condescending. A lot of people take the bus to work and work either morning, middle or closing shift, he was just nor willing to cooperate with me., He did not even care that I have a son and I was unemployed for over a year before I was hired. I also found out that 5 people that got hired with me they offered them 8.75 and they offered me 8.50, when I have extensive retail experience and I am also Bilingual fluent in both English and Spanish. H e claims he was never inform that I took the bus and I told Denise the HR lady who was also knew at her job, she used to worked at a JC Penney up North and she mentioned they do everything different back there and she was also learning with us in the process of training people. Due to there was no AIR CONDITINIONING DURING THE WEEKEND 6/6/14 and 6/7/14 I have to go the the ER because I have severe allergies also.

10:44 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This complain concerns to sharon genna - home supervisor. The company don't need a supervisor like sharon genna. She don't know her job. She ask her subordinate to do her job. She is a very lazy supervisor. She harassed everybody to do some jobs they not supposed too. She is a racist too. She shops while on the clock. Corporate should really investigate...

9:18 pm

JC Penney - not being credited for purchases

I have ordered several times on JCP. But, have not gotten Ebates credit. It happens quite often and even when it's correct and goes through, the check payment does not reflect the correct percentage at the time of purchase. If you don't write it down at time of purchase, the percentage is different, if you get it at all. So far I have not received credit from Orvis, Macys, and JCP. Some times when you click on the tool bar and cash back is activated, once you get to the end, and complete purchase, you'd notice that you where no longer in an activated state, and don't get credit.

1 comment
C

Hi Marjorie,
I'm very sorry to hear that you had this trouble. Please send me the details of any missing Cash Back for your Ebates account. I'd be glad to look into the matter for you. In looking at our records, I don't see that you've reached out to your customer service team about these JC Penney orders. We are here to help. I can help you directly. My email address is (facebookhelp at ebates.com ). This is an address that we use on forums like this to help our members. I look forward to resolving this for you. Thank you. Ebates

J
7:07 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This store is bad so many issues. Were do I begin. Iv worked at this store for many years when I started jcpenneys it was a great place to work every one was respectful yes this store had it issues but our old assistant manager Wanda would get right on it and make sure things were good. Our new guy Paul sucks he calls associates stupid he disrespectful he...

L
6:17 pm

JC Penney - Made the job but didn't get paid

I received email from the company JC Penny Gift Wrapping, and they offered me a position in their company. I needed to wrap gifts and send them to the recipients. They promised to pay after I sent all packages, also they promised to provide the gift card. After I made the job, I contacted this company and told them to pay, because the job was done. They asked me to wait, and within 5 days they would transfer money. Nothing happened. I wonder if someone had the same situation and can offer good solution. Thanks.

N
12:12 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I bought an item with a JCPenney credit card. Even though I paid in plenty of time, I was charged a $25.00 late fee. I have read on the internet that many people are being charged fraudulent late fees. I wrote a letter within 60 days about the error, but the letter was ignored. I tried to call, but no live person answers the phone. I of course canceled my...

JC Penney contacts