Intelius People Search - www.intelius.comintelius - beware it's a rip-off!

V

I paid $14.95 to this company Intelius for a reverse phone number search. They claim to have the latest records, but the record they gave me was at least a couple years out of date. It had a woman's name (the phone number actually belonged to a man), and they showed it as a land line but it was actually a cell phone. I contacted the company but they wouldn't give me a refund. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they said one would call me the next day but no one ever did. Bad information and bad customer service, too. Save your money.

RESOLVED

• Intelius's response · Oct 14, 2009

Please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Updated by nottobetakenadvageof · Jan 09, 2020

total [censored]

• Updated by nottobetakenadvageof · Jan 09, 2020

"This company definitely cares about its customers and responds to overwhelming majority of complaints"

FALSE!

• Bi
    bibbity barnes Jan 21, 2020

I have been unable to get an itemized statement for parts and services which involves a third party. I can't have an intellegent conversation with the other party untill I know what all parts etc. Are involved. This is going on 3 mo. Now. Very poor comutation.

nottobetakenadvageof Jan 15, 2020

zero email and/ or chat
    charged me FOUR times @ roughly $20 a pop AND gave incorrect information.
    utter trash

• Cr
    Crystal Summers Jul 06, 2019

Whom it may concern, my name is crystal summers, i just had a membership fee of $29.95 taken out of my account. Someone is using my card ending in 4813 without permission. I have cancelled the subscription within minutes of payment taken out but now im asking for immediate refund of $29.95. Thank you

• Gg
    gg007 Nov 13, 2018

i am unable to login into my premier plus acct keeps showing black page

Savanna b Oct 14, 2018

Hey I didn't authorize this. I'm not sure how I got charged for this product I didn't sign up for anything on this website. I have no clue what the log in information would be to even cancel this product. Please can I get this canceled and the $29 put back into my account.

Comments

NaJp Sep 01, 2018

Information about peoples

• Jr
    JRLM Jul 22, 2010

This intelius sight is a fraud. I reasearched someone last night and the person is a prestige account. They said he only makes $22K annual. Secondly, the charge was only for an $1.95 transaction which I accepted. This Morning, I noticed they charged me an additional $19.95 to be continued monthly for membership which I never consent to! Sham on you!!!

• Nc
    NCconsumer21 Jul 20, 2010

On Wed. March 31, 2010, I purchased a public record report for $ 0.95. On April 7, 2010 I noticed an additional charge on my credit card for $19.95 from INT*IDPROTECT MNTR SVC [protected] WA
    [protected]. THIS WAS A CHAREGE I DID NOT AUTHORIZE. I called the company and spoke with the customer service representative who assured me that the charge would be reversed and no future transactions would be charged to my credit card.
    On 5/7/10; 6/7/10; 7/7/10, there were 3 charges to my credit card for 19.95 but this time from INT*INTELIUS CM [protected] WA [protected]. I called this number to reverse the charges and to my surprise it was the same company that had made unauthorized charges to my account on 4/7/10. The representative claims they have no record of my phone call on 4/7/10 cancelling the service and as such they would not reverse the charges. I asked to speak with a manager and was forward to Emmy- Id #8876 who agreed to reverse the charges for 2 months for a total of $39.90.
    A company should not be a allowed to charge consumers for services they did not authorize. A simple purchase of $ 0.95 has ended up costing me $79.80. I am completely outraged and willing to take whatever steps necessary to have the remaining charges reversed and to ensure that this does not happen to anyone else.
    A simple purchase of $ 0.95 has ended up costing me $79.80. I should be reimbursed a total of $79.80 for these unauthorized charges. And I am willing to take whatever steps necessary to have the remaining charges reversed and to ensure that this does not happen to anyone else.

• Ha
    harry0h Jul 09, 2010

they have have dead people posted on their site, how sick is that!

Joe Doaks Nov 05, 2009

--------------------------

Joe Doaks Nov 04, 2009

I am soo ashamed of myself for letting these crooks get me for sooo much - -
    I am 78 yr`s old and I guess, I was supposed to know better - but this world is getting so bad, so fast that I can`t keep-up with all the new Dirty Tricks.
    I assume it is all legial or they would be in JAIL !!

• At
    Atty Oct 23, 2009

Our law firm is Plaintiffs' counsel in a class action lawsuit filed against Intelius and their partners in the Central District of California. If you have information you would like to share, or to assist in the prosecution of this case, you can contact me at:

William R. Restis, Esq.
    Fax: [protected]
    email: [email protected]

• Be
    Bela Sopron Aug 19, 2009

Like others, fell for this too when I ordered a reverse phone number lookup and was shocked to find a 19.95 charge on my card for 'identity protect' a week later. I went back and looked at my invoice for the reverse lookup and it says "Identity Protect Trial - $0.00" So why are they charging my card? Usually they at least have some fine print (which I read) that says something to the effect of 'if you do not cancel by X amount of time you will be charged XX dollars' No such claim or warning was ever made. Could not reach anyone at customer service #, emailed them, no response. I'm not waiting to see if they refund, too worrisome that they now have my cc #. Called my card company and cancelled my card and am filing a fraud complaint disputing the charge. I suggest everyone else do the same. Does not sound like you want these people to have your cc info, god knows what they will do with it. I am also filing with the Better Business Bureau. And of course the irony here is that they are supposed to protect you from the scammers, when in fact they are the scammers themselves. What a pain in the ###.

• Ds
    dscott Jul 28, 2009

These guys are a ripoff. My story is the same as all the others, use their services once under a supposed one time fee. Next thing you know Intellius is charging me $19.95 a month. This is the second month now. And, after reading this blog and others, I just decided to file a fraud claim with my credit card company and cancel my existing card number and have them reissue a new card. Enough fraud claims and they will have trouble maintaining access to MC/Visa card services. Also, if you have time at the office, you might want to call their 800 number and stay on hold until they answer so they get phone bill charges. You will find they take 10-20 minutes on average to answer. Figures, the high volume of calls is because 20, 000 people are calling for a refund.

ambism Jul 21, 2009

I got involved in this same situation. Checked my account online and bang!- MONEY GONE. It was at night ET, so I had to dwell on it the entire night and call them at exactly 5AM PT. I called Intelius [protected] and I was ready to drop the bombs on 'em.

The wait was about 15 seconds. At first, the operator explained to me why I was charged, I denied reading anything about agreeing to a subscription, called it a scam, etc, etc.

She said she couldn't refund the money. (Oh, heeeeell no!) Now, I'm one of those hungry college students, so messing with my money is a no-no.
    As soon as I mentioned that I was going to dispute the charge with my Credit Card company, I was told that the pending transaction will be canceled, and I'd get my money back. (Hell yes!)

BUT, if you manage to get a refund, make sure that you cancel your membership with them! They don't do it unless you ask-- and you'll get billed again.

For anybody that has issues with Intelius and would like a refund:
    - Call the # I called above. Early in the morning (5AM PT).
    - Be polite. These people have bills to pay themselves. Giving them ### will get you ###.
    - Do mention that if you don't get a refund with them, you will dispute the charge with your CC company.
    - Cancel your membership!
    - Ask for a confirmation number (important!).
    - AND, don't disregard the issue until your money is back in your account.

** If possible, check your bank account online every night. That way you won't have to wait a month for your statement, you can dispute it faster (as it's pending), etc...
    ** Check to see whether other companies associated with them charged you. I also got charged $25.95 by Valmax, and I canceled the membership, and was promised a refund-- without problems.

I'll update when I get the money. this was all about 20 minutes ago. All the best to you all. Don't panic. ;)

• Li
    lily10 Jul 07, 2009

I was simply looking for my pastor’s phone number, who moved to another city. During the web page search, intelius.com shows with the result that I was looking for. In order for me to get the phone number that I needed, I had to fill out my personal information, including my work phone number and paid for $0.95. I didn’t carefully read the fine print, but when I just checked my account online (this account is not my primary account) I noticed that Intelius has been withdrawing $19.99 from June to this month, July. I was very upset; not only did I feel that this is cheating, but I also found out from their web site that my personal information, including the last 4 digits of my account, was available for everyone to see online! I believe this is how they are collecting people’s data!

So people who are innocent like me, who are simply looking for lost friends or people’s information online, you better be careful; these are Legal Thefts. They are the ones who steal people’s personal information. They don’t protect your identity online; they sell it.

• the furious Jul 06, 2009

I just found out this Intelius SCAM yesterday after I reviewed our CC statements of last 2 months(May and June). I was shocked to see 2 charges of $19.95, total $39.90 on each statement. One is from Intelius, another is Valuemax. My husband authorized the one time charge of $1.95(flat rate) when he used Intelius to find his high school friend in April. And he has no clue how he got scammed.

I called Intelius [protected], a woman named Jovana answered. I told her that we did not authorize the charges and we want to cancel all the so-called memberships from Intelius and all their affiliates. She agreed and made the cancellation without hesitation(I had to give her my husband's name and email). I waited about 3 minutes on the phone, she returned and said that all the services has been canceled, and they will credit back all the charges to my CC. At the end she gave me the confirmation numbers of the cancellations.

• Ka
    kar02004 Jun 23, 2009

I got a international background check from Intelius and it was a total rip off! I got it on my boyfriend and it only had 3 charges on there for him. One of them wasn't even right. Then it had some person I don't even know on there.
    When I called and let them know it was not what I wanted they said there is nothing they can do unless I can prove it was wrong. I then proceeded to tell them I have the court papers on the charge that was wrong, then they told me there is nothing they can do. NO REFUND, and They couldn't fix it.
    I got more information off of casenet then I did from intelius...and it was FREE!
    DON'T WAST YOUR MONEY INTELIUS IS A TOTAL RIP OFF!!!

• Al
    Alison1 Jun 22, 2009

How is this site legal? How is my land line a matter of public record? If anyone has seen a reverse phone lookup summary they give you a person's name, age, relatives, address and income. How is any of that a matter of "public" record? This is one stop shopping for all types of stalkers and others who should be able to so easily gain access to this private information. This is unsafe and a gross violation of privacy that must be stopped.

• Ki
    Kimmers Jun 18, 2009

I spent .95 for a name lookup, and about a week later received a $19.95 charge on my checking account. I tried for days to reach someone but no one answers. My bank and I are currently fighting because I have to prove it is an error WTF.

Cathy Young Apr 27, 2009

I was looking for my brother...and in going thru several websites paid $24.94 for a service with cis Worldwide<[email protected] Then I get a charge on my card for $19.95 for a service from Intelius.com. Every time I go into the website I paid for I get to a certain point and they want an extra charge when it was supposed to be unlimited access to a number of research areas. What's up with that? I've tried to contact people to explain this and yet to get any help.

• Ya
    yakk Apr 07, 2009

I was looking for information and came across their website. I was foolish enough to try it and have now had to cancel my credit card to keep any new charges from being added. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SITE!

• Pa
    paul milosich Mar 23, 2009

was also ripped off by intelius bought a search 4 1.95 and was billed 19.95 4 2 following months the only way to resolve is to cancel credit card and have them issue another with a new acct. no. paul milosich

• Wh
    whatever Mar 16, 2009

I cancelled my credit card also because they were charging me every month instead of refunding me back the original charge which they were never supposed to - I learned my lesson, becuase these guys aren't the only ones out there who do this

Nasser Feb 22, 2009

It is a number one fraudulent company. In the name of providing background checks, it basically takes advantage of one's fears. I had done a person check to look for an address of an old friend. They somehow with out my consent started billing me for some kind of ID protection services which I never asked for. They never even sent me emails that they were charging me for that every month.

Amanda Jan 11, 2009

No good. I paid about $5 for an email address that didn't work. I really wanted to find this person. If they advertise the materials for a heavy price, they should at least check to see if it's up to date information. Don't use Intelius; it's a waste of money.

• Cn
    cns1008 Dec 16, 2008

DO NOT USE THIS OR ANY OTHER SO CALLED "PEOPLE FINDER" SITE!!!

I paid $30 for a 24 hour pass to track a couple family members I lost contact with. The info started to look odd so I looked myself up and a couple people whose current information I knew for certain. The information listed as MY current "confirmed" address and phone number hadn't been valid for over 10 years and my other info (previous address, etc) was completly bogus.

I called and sat on hold for 15 minutes and asked for a refund, to have someone tell me that the info is based on "public record" and might not be current and basiclly I was SOL becasue this is stated in fine print on the website somewhere. While holding, I found the comments about this so-called service on this website so I clearly stated "do not share any of my information or bill me for anything further - cancel everything". We'll see if some random charge shows up from these folks in a month and if I have to go for round 2 battling them to get money back. I was actually had better luck using the White Pages online... for FREE!

Amy H Dec 02, 2008

A couple of weeks after doing a simple People Search (for only "$1.95"), we got hit with a one-time $0.95 charge and a $19.95 subscription that we didn't authorize. Now, they're telling me that they cannot locate the account in order to process a refund for those amounts.

Doesn't anybody monitor these kind of companies.

Buyer beware...DO NOT USE!

• Fr
    Frances Finley Nov 14, 2008

Every time I use Intellius, there appears on my credit card an authorized charge for $15.99, which keeps appearing until I cancel the credit card. I don't know what it is for, but it is tied to logging on to Intellius. This time, my credit card company called me and asked me about it. I had to cancel the card again. I will never ever use Intellius again.

carole Nov 13, 2008

I just got ripped off by Intelius, too. When I called their customer support staff, I got no help at all. So I asked for a supervisor, and that person, one Barb Embree, told me that she can't put through a credit at all. So I asked for the name of the president of the company. She gave me the guys' name backwards--didn't even know his first from his last name!

Good luck to anyone foolish enough to do business with this unscrupulous (and apparently stupid) company.

• Li
    lizzyport Nov 10, 2008

Beware! They charged me $19.95 for a subscription I never asked for. They gave me my money back but I believe they do this very often expecting people not to look carefully at their credit card bills and hoping we never notice the charge. They should be fined heavily for unauthorized use of peoples credit cards. They are thieves.

• He
    heather Nov 02, 2008

I too fell for this scam. I paid for a simple phone look up and used my debit card. My bank account has been drafted for months now. They are drafting it under the name of ValueMax. I have seen the charge on my account...and I thought it was the local gas station I use. I finally cought it when I hadn't been to the gas station in a few days and the charge showed up again. Hopefully I will get my money back. Also...they say they offer you credit reports and other information as part of this program you signed up for (the ValuMax) charge. Funny because to send me a credit report...you would have to have my social security number...which I didn't give them.

A complete scam...and it is sad that so many prominant websites are allowing them to advertise on their sites. It gives you the illusion they are a secure and good site.

• Br
    brandie grimes Jul 31, 2008

i too pd intelius to do a email reverse, i called for help several times, they refused, finally they said clean my cookies so i did that, then it was one excuse after another, i never found the person but they had no problem finding my account, i have not been w/ them long enough to recieve a aadditional bill but sounds like i will, this was a very important person i needed to locate and all they did was waste my time.

naya222 Jul 28, 2008

well ive been recieving charges from pmidentity.com for 19.95 a month and protect plus for 19.95 if intelius is behind this i will desroy their reputation to the fullest. Its not ok to charge someone without telling them and respecting their privacy.

Joan Jul 18, 2008

Just got an email from this company saying I signed up with them and they are charging my credit card 49.95! I never even used there services and I wonder how they got my credit card number!
    Yikes! This is outright robbery!

• Ni
    Nikki Jul 01, 2008

I just recently was scamed by them. I used them 2 separate times to look up 2 different cell phone numbers that would continiously call my cell phone. I paid 15 one time and the nest time I paid 5 bucks.

Well just recently I noticed a $19.95 charge in my bank account from PMIDENITY.COM. Turns out Intelius gave them my bank card information without my permission. They then went ahead and took the money out of my checking account. I am WICKED pissed off about this.

I closed my account and spoke with my bank and we are in the process of trying to get my money back.

Intelius had NO RIGHT to do this to me and when I tried to contact them I got no answer.

Another person said they got an email from them with an attachment. They opened up the attachment and it was a steaming pile of poop. NO JOKE and actually picture of a steaming pile of poop.

DO NOT USE THEM THEY ARE A SCAM AND WILL CHARGE YOU FOR THINGS YOU DID NOT SIGN UP FOR AND GIVE OUR YOUR INFO TO OTHERS.

nancy Jun 28, 2008

I need to know how to retrieve my money back from intellius.

John Jun 09, 2008

Intelius are nothing but scammers. I used Intelius to reverse lookup a cellphone number ($4.95 charge), and then a few other $19.95 charges for APMIdentity.com or whatever showed up. Cancelled the credit card, filed a complaint with the BBB.

Complete garbage.

• Ev
    Evelyn May 24, 2008

The Intelius, Inc. and Privacy Matters Group are nothing but a sophisticated scam company.
    Do not use them for anything.

Thanks to some of you for helping expose these companies.

Due to your suggestions, I have closed the credit card account I have so that they can no longer charge my account.

They charged my credit card account twice both times in the amount of $19.95.

My advise NEVER TO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

cathode ray cyrus May 24, 2008

They are a big company, with strong government connections, so that means that they can do whatever they want. It's just business.

And you can opt out. All you have to do is buy an account, so you can send them a copy of every page you want opted out, like if they have you listed several ways.

You'll stay opted out until the next time you buy something, etc, but if you keep paying them the money they want, they will keep opting you out over again, or at least they say they will.

If somebody finds you, it is not like you will be able to prove it was them who told anybody where to find you.

If you want protection bad enough, you come up with the money to pay for it and take your chances with them, or you take your chances with your family's safety.