H&R Block Emerald Card 11 - 17 - 08cash advance

S

The reason why everyone in America took advantage of the Emerald Card was because they could have extra money for the holidays. It was a big success in 2007. Now, in 2008 everyone that done the Emerald card in 2007 are recieving letters to come back and do this advance again. There is some changes in the process that H&R Block failed to tell the returning tax payers, you must have good credit. I just could not understand why they failed to inform us of this change. The main reason why most tax payers are getting the advance is because of bad credit and are not able to get the extra money for the holidays, but I guess the little people are left out on the hoildays. This is really going to boost the economy. Not!

• Br
    Brian Nov 21, 2008

During these times of economic crisis, do you really think that issuing more credit to people who already have bad credit is the best solution? It seems practices like this are what has gotten us to the predicament we are in now.
    It may be a little short sighted to assume that giving people with credit problems more credit will ultimately help the economy. While it may it may give a slight increase in holiday spending they will ultimately have the "pay the piper" which would in theory, decrease spending 4 months from now.
    One other issue to think about before you open your mouth is the Emerald Advance is truly is a line of credit. So as with any other type of credit, there is no one holding a gun to your head forcing one to pay it back. If they have gotten themselves into credit problems before, what is to say they will not default on this new line of credit.
    While I can sympathize with you not being able to receive your Emerald Advance this holiday season, you will receive no pity from me for the fact you have failed to pay your bills in the past.
    Merry Christmas!!!

• Ke
    Keith Nov 21, 2008

Well said in the Reply!!!

• Me
    melissa Sagendorf Nov 21, 2008

First of all, not everyone that has bad credit is because they do not pay their bills. You could be a victim of identity theft like I was. So there are good people that pay their bills on time that have bad credit beyond their control. I have never missed a bill payment on anything I own. So why should I be denied a little help at Christmas. Yet I'm sure your life is sooooooo perfect right.

• Br
    Brian Nov 21, 2008

My life is not perfect, nor is most peoples. Everyone has problems, which are specific to their own situation. I just don't endorse anyone claiming being denied a line of credit is one of those problems that are beyond their control. While identity theft is an unfortunate by-product that came with the advancement of technology, it is not a one strike and you are out situation.
    Victims of identity theft can, if they are willing, take the time, go through the proper channels and have it corrected. While it may not be the quickest or simplest task to accomplish, it is far more efficient spending time doing, than wasting time complaining about what has happened to you on the internet. Take action, if you have a problem, correct it. I would like to think that most people, once they realize they have been the victim of identity theft, would do everything in their power to take back their credit score. I will concede, it is not the easiest thing to do, but it is doable.
    While I am truly sorry if you or your family suffers this Christmas because you were not able to obtain the credit, it was however avoidable. One knows his/her own situation better than anyone. Planning, budgeting, saving instead of spending, working more hours or even finding a second job are all options for avoiding an end of the year financial crisis.

• Ke
    Keith Nov 22, 2008

I feel like I need to respond to some of the points from the original author...

My Response:
    First, not everyone in America took advantage of the Emerald Card, I know I didn't have a need for it. Second, of those that did, yes some did it for the extra money for the holidays, and some did it because they do not have any other means of credit because they do not have any banking relationships with any other bank. H&R Block does have a responsibility to make sound; consistent decisions about extending a line of credit and not just give it to everyone that asks for it. This procedure seems very similar to what any other financial institution would do.

Original Author Comment:
    It was a big success in 2007.

My Response:
    Yes, it was a huge success in 2007. H&R Block was able to help millions of people establish a line of credit for whatever purpose they needed where many other banks would not have even considered extending any credit to some of these individuals.

Original Author Comment:
    Now, in 2008 everyone that done the Emerald card in 2007 are recieving letters to come back and do this advance again. There is some changes in the process that H&R Block failed to tell the returning taxpayers, you must have good credit. I just could not understand why they failed to inform us of this change.

My Response:
    I am certain that H&R Block did invite 2007 Emerald Card holders to come back...what business wouldn't? Given the economy, I'm sure that the company did have to make changes "to the process". I'm also sure that the paperwork involved in getting a line of credit covers all of that...federal banking regulations are very strict and H&R Block Bank would be held to the standards that any other bank would be held to in offering any banking product. Customers have a responsibility to understand what they are doing and to ask questions if they need more information. I actually believe that H&R Block is acting very responsibly by not offering a line of credit to everyone that applies and that they are using a fair and consistent process to consider every application. History has shown us what happens when financial institutions give money to anyone that asks for it...do you know anyone that lost their house because they were given a mortgage they couldn't afford? Or filed bankruptcy because they got a new credit card in the mail everyday...and used it? Who is acting irresponsibly in these examples?

Original Authors Comment:
    The main reason why most tax payers are getting the advance is because of bad credit and are not able to get the extra money for the holidays, but I guess the little people are left out on the holidays.

My Response:
    First this is not an advance of anything...it's a line of credit. Second, most tax payers are not getting the line of credit because of bad credit...they are getting it because they have a cash flow need. Their current income and spending habits have not left them the "extra money" to do the things they need, be it pay bills, holiday shopping or whatever. The only ones left out are the poor planners.

Original Author Comment:
    This is really going to boost the economy. Not!

My Response:
    I don't think its H&R Block's responsibility or intent to "boost the economy". They are offering people and opportunity to establish a line of credit (assuming that they are a good risk) and to manage that line of credit to suit their needs. The United States Government just tried to "boost the economy" with the Stimulus package this year...did it accomplish it? What did you do with that money?

My Final Thoughts:
    I think we all need to think about the choices we make. I think we all have the responsibility to determine our own financial status...living pay check to pay check, or correctly manage our income and spending habits so that we don't find ourselves with our back against the wall.

H&R Block is one financial institution that is making responsible decisions (based on consistent requirements) about extending credit to people. If other financial institutions acted as responsible as H&R Block, many people would not be in the poor financial situation that they currently are.

Look at yourself before you try to pass the fault of your current situation to someone else.

Kudos to Brian for his viewpoint!!

Janie Nov 24, 2008

I did get the $500 advance last year. I even got the refund anticipation loan. When I learned of all the wonderful things HR Block was offering I took advantage of everything I could. I was responsible in paying them back every penny which I had borrowed. So when I recieved this letter in the mail stating that I can borrow $1000 dollars this year, I was so happy (I lost my job recently and unemployment only pays me 50% of what I was making). I figured that I would go next Friday and take out the advance. I decided to do a little research online before I went, and discovered (not from HR Block, because they don't tell you, but through bloggers like me) that they are conduting credit checks this year and ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE BEING DENIED. I just found out this information about 15 minutes ago and I am still getting over the shock. I had so many plans with that money. First I loose my job, then I dislocate my knee, and now that sweat $1000 I thought I was getting, is now gone (I have poor credit). I guess I'll just have to re-think, re-group, and re-plan some things. Still, I am very fortunate. The holidays are about appreciating all that you have and sharing with family and friends. Who knows, maybe I'll get a miracle. Happy Holiday's everyone!

• Ga
    gail faison Nov 24, 2008

I tried to submit my request

• As
    Ashley Kendall Nov 25, 2008

I have been with H&R block for 7 years and never had a problem with them up until last year and the new emerald line of advanced credit the year before that they offered a loan where you could get up to 1500 dollars around 1380 after the initial fees not everyone got that but my family did and we paid it back and it showed on our credit report now with this emerald line of credit me and my husband got 470 a piece so altogether we got 940 when the time came around to repay 965 dollars was taken out of my refund to pay back the loan needless to say I was surprised but I just figured that they added so more fees so I didn't do anything at first then later they sent me a statement saying that I still owed 8 dollars I was Pissed I called and gave them a piece of my mind considering they got 25 dollars more than they loaned me and then they say I still owed 8 well I took care of it or so I thought you get a statement from them everymonth and after I took care of the 8 dollar problem all of my current statement stated that my balance was 0 then I got a Letter in the mail inviting me to come back this year for a 1000 line of credit the letter also stated that I owed 8.67 so I called them becasue it was supposed to have been taken care of way back in March when i paid the 8.00 in the first place and I also informed then that all my statements after that said my balance was 0 I was then informed that my statement were wrong and I owed 8.67 needless to say I will not be getting a line of credit from them nor will I be doing my taxes with them ever again if I have to keep paying for something over and over again it is not worth it So to everyone that is thinking about gettting the line of credit when you pay it back after your taxes make sure that you are paying the amount that was loaned to you and I pray that no one has to endure what I did over 940 dollars p.s Also I found out that I was not the only person that this happend to so what does that tell you hmmmm

• De
    Debbie Nov 29, 2008

Well to all those who didn't get this so called great line of credit find yourselves lucky!!! This was all bullcrap put on by H&R Block. They say one thing and deliver a totally different thing. I was approved for this line of credit advance, however once it was done I was given an immediate line of credit and was told the rest of my funds would be available within 72 hours. So once my 72 hours were up I called to transfer the remaining funds and in a week I have not been able to transfer the funds, however H&R Block is taking their fees out of my money. I will NEVER return to H&R Block no matter what the circumstances !!! Yeah thy make it look good and promise you all this stuff but its never true. So if you got turned down because of bad credit like I said consider yourself blessed. Because Im sorry in my eyes all H&R Block is doing at this time is screwing with my credit what little I have.

• Al
    Alison Nov 29, 2008

I think that Brian works for H&R or a bank cuz your your view of things is wacked to say that poor people don't pay there bill is a bit much and when you tell someone that they will be able to get a $1000.00 dollars to give there THERE house hold a little help this year where do we sing up !!! I think that everone who was given that ADVANCE last year and paid it back should have been giving that ADVANCE WITHOUTa credit check now that would have been customer service most of the people that I've talked to got that last year and were greatfull and in return got there taxes done there to pay back loan so where did H&R lose plus with of the off the wall fees !!!
    I get that H&R has there own bank and they can make there own rules on how they do things but miss leading people that don't have money is crul and not the way to go !!! With that said I will not be going back there ever and will tell everone I know word of mouth is powerful with poor who have bad credit!!! For I am one of them!!!

• De
    Debbie Dec 01, 2008

AMEN!!! Word of mouth is the best way to punish a business !! I feel the same way about the things that H&R Block is doing a company this big should realize that not all people have perfect credit, and those that had this loan last year and did pay it back should be given the opportunity to have this advance this year however it is just as BOGUS as the whole situation about the credit check, they don't bother to tell you the new fees or the fact you have to pay on the card monthly even if there is no balance. I actually received the loan and will NOT return to this company, I will be mailing them in their 500 dollars and they can kiss my white rear !!! Their nothing but a bunch of corrupt business men like everyone else. The rich keep getting richer and the poor well your just screwed face it.

Angela Dec 01, 2008

I went to H&R Block today and was denied this ADVANCE Line of Credit. I was denied for too few accounts opened in the last 12 months. They told me to call the H&R Block number to get them to revoke the denial. All that number is, is an automated number to tell you what the codes mean...it is on the denial letter. I do not need a machine to tell me why again! I needed this advance for Christmas for my 2 kids. I am below the poverty level, I work full-time, and I pay my bills every month...what do I get for it? SCREWED as do the rest of the poor! I was willing to give up 20% of my refund just to make sure my kids had a few things under the tree this year. The eceonomy has affected the poor more than the rich could ever imagine. We live off of $1400 a month but need $1600 to make it. When you have two kids that love to play sports and have friends over, do you tell them no because we are poor and can't afford to buy groceries let alone pay for sports? I don't think any of you would! Whether you agree or disagree with the advance line of credit with H&R Block, if you were/are living in the shoes of the poverty stricken families you would understand what the advance line of credit means to those families. Now we can't get it because we don't have enough accounts open to get the high credit they want you to have. If we had the open accounts I would not need this line of credit from H&R Block!

• Lo
    Lorna Dec 02, 2008

Does anyone realize what is going on here? A credit line is something you pay down and have the opportunity to keep borrowering the credit limit you have. What has actually happened is false advertisement from H&R Block in 2007. Everyone was approved because they were taking the money from the tax refund. But, this card at the time was promoted and advertised as an actual credit line when in fact it was not. Once it was paid out of your refund, you could not borrower the money back. Thus, the credit checks this year. They are making up for their "class action lawsuit" that is headed their way from the false "emerald line of credit" last year.

• Al
    Alison Dec 03, 2008

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT THAT SOULD OF TOLD US TO STAY AWAY THAT SAYS IT ALL JUST CAN'T KEEP THERE HANDS OUT OF THE MONEY JAR!!! AND WERE PAYING FOR IT !?#@...

• Re
    reddolphin Dec 05, 2008

This is something different that what was offered last year. Last year they offered a pre-paid card, this is a expansion of that program that is a line of credit.

Anytime you are applying for credit, chances are you are going to have a credit check.

You can read about it from the two links below.

• Re
    reddolphin Dec 05, 2008

Also, if you are a victim of ID theft, you can file the proper paperwork and have information relating to ID theft removed from your credit report within 4 days of the credit reporting agency receiving your documents.

Check out the forums on www.myfico.com

• Lh
    lhill95 Dec 06, 2008

I think that we all have to do our part in reading the information provided to us. The line of credit invitation letter clearly states on the back that it is subject to approval based on guidelines set by H&R Block Bank. Also, when you got your line of credit last year, you were given information on how to maintain the line of credit and turn it into a year-round line of credit (not just something to have at the holiday). If you followed the incstructions, after paying off the original line you could have set up a year round line of credit that you could use whenever you needed it as long as you make your payments on time. Just in case you are wondering, I am a loyal H&R Block customer and I do my homework. How can you get mad at a bank for requiring a credit check in today's economic straints. Did you ever consider that they may have actually lost money on people who never paid them back.

• Me
    Melissa Dec 16, 2008

Most of the comments seem to be supporting HR Block...which amazes me.
    Its is terrible that HR Block is not disclosing that they will be reunning a credit check, I'm sure it's in the application that is signed. I have a credit score of 650, used HR Block's online software for the past 5 years and was still denied for the Emerald Line of Credit...

jay Dec 19, 2008

first off the h&r block emerald card was and still is a secured loan. They give you the money and your tax refund is AUTOMATICALLY deposited into the card. Sooooo those of you who are complaining about why give people with bad credit more credit is by far inaccurate. There is no loss for the company issuing the emerald card only gain. Yes i am one with bad credit why? I'll exsplain. first of all i am a Jr. With having the same name as my father some of his credit has somehow merged onto mine how? Because of as a child our addresses matched. Same goes with a driving record that took months to straighten out. In 2003 i filed bankruptcy and it was closed in 2003 as federal law requires yet for the last 2 years i have gotten the emerald card with no problems what so ever yet this year i was denied saying i have an open bankruptcy. I have here with me all 3 of my credit reports right in front of me and all 3 say they have been closed in 2003. Therefore i was denied for no reason what-so-ever. In all honesty all of us who have been denied have been denied for no reason what-so-ever. As ive previously stated that this is a secured mastercard remember the key word being SECURED backed up by H&R Block themselves if they make a mistake on your return. So why were we denied to begin with, ? As far as idenity theft. Suprise i too have been subjected to that not once, not twice but three times. my bank accounts were sucked out 4, 000 dollars 4 or 5 years ago right in the xmas time of the year, from november 17 to december 17th 4, 000 poof gone. I recieved a call from a goverment agency that said i would never see that money again nor was there anything at the time that i could do about it but to just close my accounts which by the time they called me in january i already have done that, . still to this day there isnt nothing i can do about it. So you can find all the forms you want to online but if the idenity theft was before these new idenity laws came out you are still screwed.

• Ni
    Nish Dec 21, 2008

First off, the H&R Block Emerald Card is not a secured loan. It is a line of credit that is based off of your credit and in anticipation of you receiving a tax refund from the IRS. I don't believe that anywhere there is anything to tie your refund to guaranteeing that card. You may elect to return to H&R Block to file your taxes and in turn pay off your card but it is not required. With that said, I find it interesting that one with bad credit would expect to just be given a line of credit, no questions asked. I have bad credit myself and have just resolved that I'm not in the market for a line of credit and am working on creating a more positive financial circumstance that would afford me the luxury of opening a line of credit later in life. BUT I'm pretty much hellbent on creating a situation where I won't have to rely on credit and will be able to live a cash based existence. Yeah, some might think its tough but the rationale is, if I can make it now with bad credit and having to learn new ways of 1) getting the things that I need and 2) fixing the bad credit situation, when I pull out of this, I should be a lot smarter to not want to get into the same predicament. Well, that's just me. It is all about making the tough decisions to be fiscally responsible to myself and family and in the end living a better life.

Good luck to you in your endeavors and I really do know that in instances of identity theft, it is tough to come out of but you can. I've met many who have. No walk in the park I know. It sucks when you made the mistakes yourself so I can imagine it being 10 times a harder pill to swallow when someone else messed you over.

• Pa
    PatW Jan 27, 2009

the H&R block emerald advantage is a major ripoff. I was in a bind and needed the money to pay my rent. well, i had to first pay $45 for a "second look" so that they could put my in their system. i qualified for $355, but $50 was for fees. acceptable, that left me $305. okay. the clerk at H&R said that I could get my money by getting cash at a store instead of paying an atm fee-- as if any store is going to give you $300. i went to my bank to get the money put into a cashiers check. they couldn't do it because H&R were charging a $20 FEE, which would overdraw the account. so i decided to get it out of the atm. i tried to pull it out but even though the $5.00 should have been enough for customary fees. during that one transaction i kept on trying to get a balance but whenever i tried to cash out that balance it wouldn't let me do it. AND every time i rechecked the balance, i could see it going down. i wound up being only able to cash out $280. when i went to a local grocery store, i tried to get the remaining balance out-- less than $20-- just like the H&R clerk said that i could. no way. the store cashier said that these cards are treated like credit cards and there is no cash back on them.
    so i'd say DON'T get this card. it's a major ripoff. worse i'm now up to having to use H&R blocks overpriced services for doing my taxes which i've done myself for the past several years. If i do get a refund after this card and the H&R fees i am surely going to get the money on direct deposit and never use H&R's services again.

• Eb
    eburke87 Feb 09, 2009

Someone said to everyone that got denied for the advance line of credit is lucky. That person is right. I applied for the advance line of credit back in january. To my surprise is was approved for a 500 dollar limit. I was told it would be available immediatly and when I received my irs refund they would then deduct my line of credit balance from the irs refund. This all went well and good. Although after it was all paid off and their system finally updated, when I called my card it said my advanced line of credit had an available amount of 500 dollars. I then went to a store to use this when my card was denied. After arguing on the phone with their stupid half automated representatives for about 20 minutes I was then told that there was a glitch in their system and didn't have 500 dollars available for my use that there is a resting period between feb 1 and feb 19 and I'd have to wait until feb 19 and go back to h & r block and apply for it again, when customers have already been informed that the advance line of credit applications are no longer available at h & r block anymore. So to all that were denied feel lucky, as this was a scam, not a credit line, to charge you more fees for getting the damn card as well as interest for using the card as well as the wonderful 2 dollar fee to speak to a representative. Buyer beware. Next year im paying 42 cents or whatever it is for a postage stamp and im doing my own taxes.

• Ta
    TaxPro199 Mar 23, 2009

If you cant afford "The Holidays" dont go borrow money. You have opportunity every where to go and "earn" extra money for the holidays. Turn off cable or find creative ways to reduce you budget to pay for "The Holidays." Its not H&R Blocks fault people have bad credit and chances are if they did inform you that it was based on having good credit you would apply anyway. I know...I work for H&R and even people with "not so perfect" credit were getting approved. You just didnt im assuming.

• Cs
    csmith2289 Dec 01, 2010

I went to H&R Block and I was denied for the Emerald Advance. I am 5 months pregnant with a 3 year old at home and I was just laid off for a month and denied unemployment because I made $40 too short. I heard about the advance and thought there was hope for me for the holidays because I would feel like a horrible parent if I couldn't put at least a few presents under the tree for my daughter. I was denied because of 1 late payment on a loan I have. That is the only thing on my credit. The payment of $55.00 was 14 days lied and they denied me. I wanted to cry. Later on I talked to a few people that were approved for the advance who have way worse credit then I do. Tell me how someone with bankruptcy, foreclosure, repo's, etc. gets approved but I get denied because of a late loan payment...which was made by the way.

• Tr
    Trying2BNice Jan 17, 2016

We have always used H&R block. But this year has been such a hassle! First off we made an appointment for the Emerald Advance and nobody showed up. We sat in that parking lot for over an hour waiting. When we called we received an answering machine saying they were closed that day. It was about 7 or 8 that evening that someone finally called back apologizing and she didn't even sound sincere.
    And as if that wasn't bad enough when we finally did make it into the office, they told my husband that he was denied because of identity. Wouldn't give a reason why this could happen. No printout of the denial. Nothing! She said she sent our info off and we have yet to receive anything back (supposed to take about 5-6 weeks).
    I went in again and saw the original man I usually go to since he was finally not busy, and he had to do her job all over again and give me details. We did it in my name and I was denied for credit. But at least he gave me a printout showing why and explained everything very politely. He had me send off more info for my husband just in case. Now we are having to play a wait game. But Mr. Porter is the only one that I trust up there.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices