Complaints & Reviews

super high bill for no reason

We are a young couple living in a gated community for 7 years now. Out of no where our electric bill for the...

services

I have been a customer of FPL for over 20 years. Back in 2008 I was late on my payment and too got a bill for an additional deposit, at that time I did not even have the option of setting up direct debit for my payments, I had to pay and that was it or risk having my power turned off, so I paid the additional $460.00 deposit. Today, 3 years later, I get home from work to find a dis-connect notice on my door stating that my power had been turned off. Now I admit I am not the best at paying bills, however I never have had my power off for non-payment before in over 20 years, I go to my online banking and I show that a payment was made to FPL just 2 weeks ago, I call FPL and am told that I still had a past due balance of $26.00!! I pay the bill immediatley and then I am told that it will be within 24hrs that my power will be turned back on. You know I dont have a problem with them shutting my power off for non payment, If I over-looked something and didnt pay the full amount then fine, I just don't think it is very fair that I paid immediatley and I have to wait up to 24 hours to have my power restored. I have small childern and my elderly mother lives with me, the FPL agent said "Well maybe you can go to a neighbors house" I am completley outraged, you make me pay a $460.00 additional deposit and then turn my power off when you have my $ just sitting there. Why don't they take the $ out of the deposit and make me pay it back, or have a faster turn around if you are going to dis-connect power, but to make their customer go without power for 24 hours is out-rageous!!! And of course I have no choice but to stay with them because they are the only power provider. It is un-fair, un-ethical business and there is nothing we as consumers can do about it, This is how they treat their customers. It is just outrageous and they get away with it because we don't have a choice. I wish someone would do something about how they treat their customers. If I had an account anywhere else for over 20 years and was treated this way I surley would close my account and move on to another company but with FPL we don't have a choice and all we can do is complain on a board like this that is still gonna get us nowhere. I called the phone # that was in another complaint on this board and it wasnt even a good phone #. What are we suppose to do?????????

• Ca
    cate6666 Jun 23, 2011

You readily admitted " I am not the best at paying bills." You also advised you have children and a parent at home. You know the services you need to keep your family running. So, you will want to find a system that ensures you pay those bills for which your family requires constant service.

How late was your payment? If you paid the bill and the company restores within 24 hours, that's reasonable. Again, how delinquent was your payment?

over charging and deposits

i have been living a year and a 1 month in low income apartment with my three kid and unemployed.. with a...

charging fees for non-payment

Like a lot of people on this site, I have been scammed by FPL. But I'm fighting BACK, as should all of you. The only way we are going to get anything changed is to complain to the Florida Public Service Commission. They regulate the utility companies. Here is there information, take a few minutes and tell them your FPL horror story. This is the only way we can fight them. Good Luck!

Florida Public Service Commission
2540 Shumard Oak Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL [protected]
Local Consumer Assistance Line: [protected]
Toll Free Consumer Assistance Line: [protected]

attaching somebody else's bill to mine

I received a letter from FPL today advising me that they are attaching a relative's old bill (approx.$1400) to my account (which has never been late) because they believe that I lived with that relative when she held an account with them. Ok, first of all, I did not live with her. Second of all, even if I did, why am I responsible for her electric bill? I never signed anything admitting responsibility for anybody else's utility bills. I really want to know if this is legal. I know they have an army of corporate attorneys telling them that this is fine, but is it really? Even if it is legal, has anyone at FPL ever heard of business ethics? Why would I pay somebody else's electric bill? I'm not santa! They told me that they found my name attached to my relative's address through a public agency. SO WHAT?! In what way does that make me liable for somebody else's bill??????????????? Looks like I'm going to have to hire an attorney. I'd rather pay an attorney that money than FPL!

horrible service, scams you left & right watch out

Wow what a company! I can't even begin to say all the problems I have had with this company. When i...

fpl ignorant to life

I have lived in my home for 16 years AND many times have paid two mos at a time in advance. That, with prior residences I have paid FPL at least $92, 000 over the last 27 years and in recent 15 years, my house which we built and my 5 children live, I have paid them $63, 000.

NOW I get a mandatory deposit requiring me to pay $497.00 by Nov 11, 2010 or ELSE! I call the customer service, what is going on with all these companies who employ these ruthless that are ignorant to life, bills, family, ailing relatives, hard times of what their parents are going through! I spoke to Kenneth who states there is no one above him he is the supervisor of billing and I cannot speak to anyone else, and there is not another number I can call and he cannot and will not remove my REQUIRED deposit. He dint care, he didnt help, he did nothing but tell me tough. I have always paid my bill, may have been late but my late charges have been paid in full! NOW divorced and trying to keep the lights on, with 5 kids and trying to finish my school I tell Kenneth this and he doesn't care, told me to pay the deposit or get someone to guarntee my bill when I leave and stick FPL with my past due bill!! I said your kidding right? I have been in the house for 15 yeas owner builder home, raised/raising 5 kids here, local schools and you want me to fork over $497 to guarantee I wont stick your company for the last bill when I have paid over $90, 000 to your company!!! WHERE IS THE COMMON SENSE WITH THESE BILLING PEOPLE???? Seriously, ruthless, ignorant to real life.

So I explain that if I had $497 for the deposit, THEN I wouldnt have been late!!! But obviously he didnt understand that either. AND not to mention that mail for months last year was not gotten to the house because of being forwarded to the "X" but I told Kenneth this too. . . .

Doesn't it mean anything to have been with a company for all these years and paid your bills and paid late fees mind you, but that didnt make a difference either. Ruthless FPL THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEY WAY THEY PRACTICE BUSINESS. I AM. IF and when I get an option I will no longer be an FPL costumer - shame on them!!! IM GOING SOLAR

rude staff

South Florida is about to be hit by tropical storm nicole and FPL is out shutting off peoples electricity. I just had a man bang on my door and walk away only to tell me once I answered the door and chased him down that it was too late as he shut off my power he said he could not take my payment at the time and to call FPL I explained to him that I have small childen at home and simply forgot to make the payment i actually had cash and a credit card on me at the time instead he refused my payment and said call FPL u aint gettin power back till tommorrow anyway.

I find this too be inhuman for FPL to do this to a consumer in this type of economy especially when they have monopolized power and lighting in this state they hold the consumer in low regard because the consumer cannot go to a competitor for the same service.

power in the home is a need not a luxury and a company with such a responsibility should at least be respectful to consumers and offer an efficient way on turning on someone power as it easy as it is to shut it off.

fpl customer service horrendous

FPL customer support is horrendous! We paid FPL $2500 in the last 30 days. 8 days later one of their representatives showed up at our door demanding $500 we asked very politely if he could wait 1 minute (60 seconds) and he told us NO! I am shutting off your power! can you belive $3000 in 1 month 1 week for a small house??

We had to drive 4 miles from our home to a pay center and pay them $500 to have our power re-connected and when we called them they told us "we will have someone out there in 24 hours".

Unbelievable!! They cant wait 60 seconds for us but expect us to wait 24 hours for them. We have 3 children in our household and one has severe asthma but FPL said didn't give a damn!

Then to reconnect our power they demanded we have a police escort with them.

I guess this company has NO respect for the people paying their salary. We ALL need to stand up and put this monopoly out of business!!

deposits

FPL's Deposit policies are draconian. They, along with every other company, want to directly bill your bank account. That is their goal. They Asked me, a 20 year customer, to pay a $900 deposit because I lost my job and had to send a late payment. I STILL payed my bill. But the money I sent for my bill went to a 'deposit'. When I called FPL, they wanted the additional deposit balance before applying any money to my bill. Plus, I had 7 days or I would be cut off... In the middle of a florida summer... its HOT and I have a little baby.

The only option was to let them direct debit. Well... NO ONE is EVER going to be allowed to reach into my account without my permission. EVER!!! So I have to come up with almost $1000 in 7 days to keep my power on.

I have never missed a payment in 20 years. I've never been late paying in 20 years. I still got my payments into then, just a little late because I'm laid off from my previous job and the low pay, low skill service work available is barely keeping my family housed and fed.

FPL doesn't care. And its not like I can drop them and go with the competitor... oh that's right, there is no competitor. There is no other option. Just bend over and let them ram you...

And BTW, I met their damn deposit... and now I'm looking at a month where I won't get to eat for spans so my baby and kid will have enough, I can't get my wife her prescriptions (hope she doesn't DIE!!).

abusive deposit and worst customer service

I've got ripped off $540 for deposit in the new place I rented and the customer service promised to start the...

abuse of powr

I lived at 7420 Harding Ave., Apt 7. The electricity was in my name only as was my account number. In November of last year I was sick and unable to pay my bill. It was given to a collection agency. In January I started paying on the bill (I am on disability and can only afford 20.00 a month) The last two checks I sent to the colllection agency were lost. I do pay monthly. Yesterday, my friend receive his electric bil under his name and account and to his amazement it included my past due bill. The person he spoke with said he was responsible for it. We are not married. He did not live with me at Apt 7. But according to FPL investigation he did. So they added my bill with the differenct account number to his electric bill. Under what law can they do this? I am paying my past due bill. He can not afford to pay the amount of 40.00 a month. FLP has threathen to cut off his electric. I am dumbfounded. What law says they can do this? No one has been able to provide me with any answers. It is my bill, not his. It is my account number, not his. I certainly hope Ms. Torres calls me soon. The implications of all this is amazing. What other illegal activities can do? I barely make it month to month. This is crazy can someone please help me? Sincerely, Kathy Bonds [protected]

• Kh
    khloee04 May 24, 2010

if you two lived together and / or it was found out he put your electric in his name so you could get service when you had an outstanding bill then YES, they can do that. They see it as people playing the 'name game' and trying to get out of bills. Almost all utility companies would do the exact same thing

taking ridiculous deposit and then making me wait for sevice.

I think it is absolutely absurd that FPL is allowed to charge ridiculous deposits and then make you wait to...

refusal to allow customer listen to tape

Last month I called an FPL representative asking how I could lower my monthly electric bill. I stated I had a space heater I brought with me when moving from New York. I read him the information on the unit and he told me if I ran it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a month, my total cost would be $135.00. He never asked or mentioned that before turning it on, I should check to see if my panel board could handle the wattage so based on his recommendations, I plugged it in and the room in which it was plugged in blew a double electrical-braker costing nearly $250.00 to get my power to work in a room in my home.

I called FPL and spoke to a claims representative who stated she would look into the matter and one week later she contacted me stating she listened to the recorded call and FPL did nothing wrong. I asked for a copy of the recorded conversation stating I would be more than happy to pay for the cost of reproducing the tape and she stated this is "confidential information" and the only way I could obtain a copy is by a subpoena. Imagine, FPL would rather someone file a lawsuit than to simply charge the customer to purchase a copy of the recorded conversation to hear if perhaps FPL could be at fault.

FPL realizes that it would be costly to file court papers so they win every time however I am going to sue them asking for a jury trial.

It's about time consumers took their ground refusing to allow these giant companies to walk all over us.

If anyone else has had similar problems, let me know.

• Ih
    IHATEFPL! Mar 16, 2010

My husband & I just moved back to NY from FL- we let FPL know we would be moving and told them NOT to bill us for our last months bill b/c we would not have the funds to cover it in the account that we had set up for auto-payments.. the rep stated they would send us the paper copy of our bill to pay.. well on sunday we received a letter- NOT a bill to our new address stating our January bill was due & they would be debiting our account for February's bill.. I immediately checked my account to find out they they debited my account for both bills and now my account is in bad standing and I've been charged with 2 over draft fees for not having suffient funds.. My husband called and requested to hear the recording and they refused to let him- saying they don't have the technology to allow that... HOW do you have technology to power a whole state but not to let someone listen to a recorded call.. I am in the process of disputing this with my bank (who is being VERY helpful in the situation) I am also filing a complaint with the BBB and any other agency that will accept my complaint.. If this does not get resolved the way I am expecting I WILL be pressing charges against FPL!

over charging, monolopy, unfair business practices

Florida Power and Light is the only show in town, it has a clear monolopy. That is one reason. They keep increasing theyr costs, wheil fueld has gone down, along wiht the economy (more unempoyment, lower wages, etc). When late in paying, they will not offer any assistance (personl experience, as well as the many websites where people have complained of the very same issue) but will make you pay a deposit, some times you end up paying several deposits, many of which are over the allowed amount (no more than 2-3 times the average bill). I want FPL invistigated for unfair business practices, unfair rate increases, heartless demands for deposits (pay it or have no power), and being a monolopy here. I would also want a lawyer to start a class action suit, i know of many, many people who would sign up in a heart- beat). Thank you,

deposit

Problem: Recently I was sent a letter by Florida Power and Light Company asking me to pay an additional $246...

deposit

Problem:
Recently I was sent a letter by Florida Power and Light Company asking me to pay an additional $246 for my deposit. However in reading the letter that was sent to me I was under the impression that how this amount was calculated was based off the last two months of electrical billing. When contacting the company and speaking to a representative I was informed that the amount is actually based of the average of the last 12 months and that the amount that is due is the average of at least two months. When reading the letter it does not state this. Now if I were to use my assumption about the last two months average the amount that should be due is $65.82. Which is the difference between the current deposit and the average of the last two months of bills, including late payments that have been made. This company also tries to tell me that I am a valued customer, however the one question I asked has yet to be unanswered. If this company understands tough times, and allows a person to ask for payment extensions, why then am I being penalized for my situation? I have paid all of the amount due to this company on top of paying a late fee every time. Looking back at my check book and the bills due there has been only two times where the bill was paid late the first by four days and the second by two. I also paid the late fee on that. All bills were paid according to statement dates, by this I mean the dates on the statements sent to my home address. This would include the extension amount due plus the current amount due. The representative was telling me dates that a bill was due that I do not recall. I was told I could avoid this additional deposit if I enrolled in automatic bill pay however, I would have to be enrolled for one year. I would take this option however, I am currently planing of moving out of state by the middle of next year so this would not be an option for me.

chipcouncil Mar 21, 2010

We are new residents to Florida and have an emergency situation. We have moved into our apartment and were under the impression that our electricity bill would come from the Condo Association as it had at our previous residence. Yesterday, without notice and without warning, our electricity was shut off. The developer of the condo association tried to help by contact FPL with us. We were told that the earliest that they could turn our electricity back on would be at least one business day after we paid an exorbitant deposit. I consider this to be extortion.

I am a Computer Scientist who has been unemployed for over a year and was just hit with a $ 1, 200 bill to register my cars in Florida, first and last months rent, and, relocation expenses from the west coast. The earliest we will have the deposit will be in two weeks when I get paid. In addition, my spouse is bipolar and I am struggling to prevent a hospital stay. The food that we had to scrimp for to put in the ice box is now ruined and I have to go to work tomorrow but have no hot water to bathe with.

theft

FPL stole $418 out of my checking account. I was told that if I enrolled in the Automatic bill pay, my deposit would be waived. I enrolled and they used that access to my bank account to take out the deposit without my consent. They won't even call me back and it is impossible to reach a rational person at FPL. What can I do???

• Ih
    IHATEFPL! Mar 16, 2010

customer service

FPL is run by ### who hire ### with no souls to work for them in "customer -DIService." We've been without power for almost 1 month now. We applied for a $600 community agency voucher. FPL took the money and still disconnected the power. "Whoops...our mistake. We weren't supposed to disconnect your service, but we'll need $1, 000 to reconnect it." What the &$^#%? If we had to go to a community agency for help, what makes them think that we have $1, 000 lying around! They then decided that $250 was enough...no, they wanted $500...no, make that $700. My husband had enough and called the PSC who is supposed to help the consumer...BIG BIG BIG mistake. FPL got pissed when he did, and now they refuse to connect the power unless we give them the $1000. We are done here in FL. FPL can take their electricity and shove it up their collective butts...I hope everyone soul-less sorry excuse for human beings that work for them rot in hell.

• Sk
    Skipd Jun 14, 2011

FPL abscess power they have simply because there are no alternative service providers for electricity to our homes. They have horrible customer service and when there is a problem or issue they do not call the customer refuse to tell their customers a time frame of when they will be available to come out simply put they are abusive to their customers because they know there are and will be no repercussions to their actions.

• Mi
    Miguel medina Jul 14, 2011

I Complaint but comcast why my bill comeng up to hight every munch at call Comcast why bill to hight I like Somebody half me but my bill at no need money a need at no like pay more money every munch this I need Miguel medina

• Pi
    pissedoffbad Sep 25, 2014

How the government allows FPL to be the monopoly they are is outrages. Their customer service sucks they are the biggest ###s in the world. The CEO's should be hung and or out in prison for the scammers that they are!

disconnections

Ok so i have read a lot of boards pertaining to FPL domination of electricity in Florida and can see I am not alone in my frustration and anger towards this company...They are
complete bullys with awful customer service and no care or concern as to who they F over to put in lighter terms all they want is there money and they dont care if your
walking around with 1 penny in your pocket they will push you til no end to take that penny away from you. My husband and I are both unemployed and getting by doing little odd jobs to help put food on the table and a roof for our 3 small children whom 2 are asthmatic and require using a nebulizer to receive treatments since they are too young to use an aerosol pump I take complete responsibility not being able to pay my bill on the due date but i do make the payments before the shut off notice comes little do they care they continue to charge me Deposit after deposit regardless of my MULTIPLE calls to them pleading and begging them to please give me a chance and explain my situation I get their standard "I'm so sorrys" but theres nothing we can do to help you we'll refer you to the automatic payment extension line to see if you qualify...OF COURSE I DON'T QUALIFY their requirement for payment extension is 6 consecutive on time billing cycles!!! despite all the deposits i have paid for mind you my initial deposit was a 450!!! their credit rating system is completely BOGUS!! its like they pull numbers out of a hat and whatever comes out is what they charge their customers. So i get disconnected..I drop everything I'm doing take the little bit of money I have saved for my next months rent and go pay them on the phone pleading them please send someone to reconnect my one year old is very sick and needs his treatments this Miami heat and humidity is not helping I have no money to pay for the emergency room deductible if I need to take him to urgent care I get the run around on the phone get transferred to a Supervisor only to be shot down time after time ALL SHE DOES IS SEND ME A LETTER TO APPLY FOR MEDICAL ESSENTIAL WHICH IS SUBJECT TO THEIR APPROVAL...ALL IN ALL FPL IS AN ABUSIVE MONOPOLY SUCKING THE LIFE OF FLORIDIANS MANY OF WHOM ARE STRUGGLING TO MAKE IT DAY TO DAY THEY DO NOTHING FOR CONSUMERS BECAUSE THEY KNOW WE HAVE NO WHERE ELSE TO GET POWER FROM SO THERE THEY SIT ON THEIR THRONE AND LOOK AWAY AND HARM MANY WITH THEIR UNJUST WAYS SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE THEY MUST BE STOPPED WE NEED HELP NOT SOMEONE KICKING US DOWN WHEN WE'RE TRYING TO GET UP!!!

• Fp
    FPLSucksEggs Oct 28, 2009

I totally agree with you. Things happen and FPL could care less. that's why we're leaving this hellhole...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices