British Gas Services Logo

British Gas Services

Having problems with British Gas Services?

Millstream, Maidenhead Road
Fri8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Sat8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Sun8:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

Supply of gas and electricity

mike mellors
To:
[protected]@britishgas.co.uk

Mon, 20 Apr at 13:47

I was a breeze customer until my account was taken over by British Gas. I had a direct debit for £107.00 per month and my account was £293.86 in credit. That was at the end of December.

After the take over by B G I tried to contact them to set up a direct debit and also see what my usage of gas and electricity was. I was told I would have to wait as sorting out the ex breeze customers was taking a long time.

I believe now that delay was intentional for customers who had their credit balance moved to B G . It gave them the opportunity to use up that credit.

During the period January to April I would have paid Breeze £321.00, except I would not have used that much energy. So I would still be in credit with them.

I am now facing a bill of £ 367.72. This has taken all my credit plus an additional £73.86. They now need to refund me the difference which is £46.72

british gas local heroes

Nobody turned up no explanation no phone call no e mail no text just nothing I had cancelled an appointment to wait in for the local hero never again I phoned british gas they said the plumber was booked today I sent 2 texts to the plumbers number and they had even the decency to let me know they were not even en route am I supposed just to forget british gas local heroes and book a plumber myself?

Resolved telephone waiting time

I was kept waiting for an unacceptable time on an 0800 number to British Gas concerning a call made on the...

fraudulent charge

Having left my old place with all my bills settled, 6 months later I get a bill from British Gas for an outstanding amount of £1, 110.00.
After reviewing the bill I realise that the meter reading they have quoted on the bill in incorrect (it is mis-quoted by 10, 000 kWh), I immediately call them armed with a current picture of the meter reading asking for an engineer to come and read the meter as obviously they haven't (apparently a new tenant or landlord called in a told them what the reading is when they moved in and thus they obviously dismissed my number). They tell me it is not their problem I still have to pay for this phantom electricity bill, they are going with this incorrect number as it is in their system and they refuse to get an official British Gas person to go and read the meter and it is not their policy. Clearly this is fraud, period.
When I mentioned this issue at work a colleague had the same issue and they have since switched power providers, I am giving them 1 week to sort this issue or I'll certainly be switching providers. Let this be a warning to whoever is thinking of signing up with British Gas (BT Gas).

killed my kitten

My little kitten was killed by a speeding British gas van on Friday 11th February. The person who saw him hit my little kitten at speed has told me that he knew he had hit her as she said he slowed down and she thought he was stopping, but he didn't! It took 4 complete strangers to deal with the mess he had left behind and one of these people took her to the vet so she could find her way home...I'd like to point out that where we live is an advisory 20mph but legal is 30mph, he was doing a lot more than this according to the vet to do the damage that was done to Jessie who was only 6 months old! The carelessness of that driver has devastated my 2 children and my partner, caused so much heartache it's unreal. If he wasn't going well in excess of the speed limit she may have stood a chance and to think he was driving a flashed up van and seen by members of the public doing it he still left her in the middle of the road!

Resolved boiler instalation

Over the last six or so years we have fought with British gas to repair then replace our boiler, it has never...

Resolved threat to cut off

Was in credit by £293.00 with electricity account held with british gas, Gas bill of £75.10, Instructed British Gas to pay the gas bill and credit the balance which they did, Received a letter threatening disconnection even though our online account shows gas bill at nil, Phoned them due to letter received and was assurd no more would be received, Now received a further letter threatening legal action and disconnection witihn 5 days plus over £300.00 extra charges, We have never not paid. does any one know of any action we can take to stop this.

Resolved gas

Complete Disgrace - Do not sign up to these guys. Customer Service, non-existent, back-office, non-existent, money collection - top class.

For the past three years, we have been with British Gas on a 4-year fixed contract to supply our gas. Recently they've tried to charge us 99p per unit!!! Our contract is only 2.31p with no standing charge!! They admitted it was wrong and re-billed us.

BUT THEN... I look at all our previous bills for the past three years and it turns out that they've been screwing us over - charging us a standing charge of 99p per day, every day for the past 3 years... That's almost £1, 000!! To make things worse, they've been charging us out of contract prices - anywhere between 3 - 12p per unit!!

Ringing them up - they denied that we ever had a contract - it was a good job that we actually kept it. Faxed it over... no sound from them... Had to ring over 10 times to get someone to say - yes, something went wrong..

Now it turns out that they owe us thousands of pounds... and they claimed it was sorted back in October last year!!?? I dont' know what planet they're from, but we recieved no information, no goodwill gesture and they've profited by way of interest and overcharging us...

In fact, I'm covinced that it hasn't been sorted as I have bills from October 2008 - this year dictating that they have been charging out of contract charges.

And did I mention that everytime I ring, everytime I ask for GAS CUSTOMER SERVICES, I get put through to none other than BOILER SALES!! And when I finally asked for the guy's name (it was the same guy who put me through to boiler sales 4 times), he got stroppy and asked for my name and never gave me his name.

DISGRACE - BRITISH GAS HAS PROFITED BY RIPPING ME OFF FOR YEARS AND HAS THE CHEEK TO NOT EVEN GIVE ANY GOODWILL GESTURE OR INTEREST. GO WITH ANOTHER COMPANY LIKE OVO, EDF OR EVEN EON - JUST NOT BRITISH GAS.

I have sent them a letter dictating that they have broken their contract agreement and that I am well within my rights to change supplier early.

THEY ALSO NEED TO CHANGE THEIR NAME - FROM BRITISH GAS TO SOMETHING ELSE, LIKE METHANE GAS. THIS IS NOT THE WAY US BRITISH DO THINGS. SHAME ON BRITISH GAS.

Resolved repairs

I have been with british gas insurrances for many years now for all repairs on my boiler, heating, electrics, plumbing, kitchen apliances, locks, windows roof extra. I have the full cover with them because I am dissabled and wanted piece of mind that all was covered for everything. 3months ago my boiler packed up and my emertion was not working as a back up. So I had no hot water no heating. So I called british gas 2 days later they came out to look at it I went 2 weeks without heating and hot water, whill they ordered the parts. They did in the end repair the boiler and replace the emershion tank. And a week later the boiler went again itried to use the emertoin tank they had put in but that to did not work. I have had at least 9 call outs in the last 3months. They came in again this week to sort it. I was told by the enginer that the enginer that had fitted the new emertion tank had not reset it from factory setting, so he did this and he said it should now work however I have not tried it yet. My boiler how ever he would have toorder a part. He came back the next day and repaired the boiler 2 days have gone by and guess what no boiler working again. I phoned to ask for some one to come out again but got told that they couldnot come till sunday between 8am-6pm. I was going over to my mums for her to cook me a dinner. So not only will I not be able to do that but I am left again with no heating,, they have an advert on the tv sayinig even if you are not a british gas customer there is alway an enginer near by to sort it. Well where is mine. I am dissabled left inthe cold frightened to put on the hot water in case that isn't working ether as before. I think it is terrible that they can treat a dissabled person so, how do they treat their other customers. I told them when I phoned that I was dissabled and that not only can I not go to my mums to eat but I must freeze todeath also, because as their advert on the tv does not really do what it says does it.

Resolved awful experience

British Gas have continued to mess up our electricity bill now for two years. At one point we i had even used over £400 of the children's trust fund to be free and clear of the constant ### ups, threatening letters and bills. Chritstmas 2017 was an all time low after British Gas sent bully boys to the house to threaten of power being cut off and telling my young daughter of the threat as i was out. We were lucky to have a professinal help us making lots of phone calls on our behalf. We were lead to believe this would be an end to it. In the meantime i have been informed that my direct debit was set too low so once again we have been put in a pit of debt again them saying we owe another £500 and have put our direct debit upto £115 a month from £41 a month. I have rang British Gas this week to explain that they have put me in an awful predicament, i am a young widow with three children. I felt i was patronised and told of energy saving tips that a monkey would know.

Michael Beech Oct 17, 2006

We have moved into a new property in the past 3 weeks and unfortunately it has a gas pre-payment meter. I phoned British Gas to get a card to allow us to top up the meter and they assured me one was on the way, in the meantime they sent out an engineer to give us the £10 emergency credit facility. This was nearly 2 weeks ago and, after several more phone calls, I still have not received a card and now I have run out of gas. I therefore have no heating, cooking or bathing facilities until this is resolved. I have phoned British Gas today and they say an engineer from Transco has to come and reset the meter, unfortunately this cannot happen until Saturday 7th October. Also, even if I get the card before this day, I still cannot top up the meter as it needs re-setting before this can work. To make matters much worse, I have a 12 month old baby and as the weather is getting colder, so is the house. I find it unacceptable that British Gas have allowed this to happen, unfortunately it is a temporary housing solution whilst we are waiting for our house to be built so cannot change energy suppliers.

Thanks Michael

• Gi
    Gina Nov 17, 2006

I am with British Gas I complained a few times over the telephone that I am paying up to £70 a week!!! on a prepayment card I was only getting £1.50 of Gas out of £5 I am on benefits with 3 small children and a sick partner everytime I have rung and complained I have used £5 in calling credit the last time I called on the 6th October and was assured I would be rung back no-one did ring me back.

On the 12th October my partners Mother rang British Gas who said I had got to ring with the problem, I emailed British Gas and rang on the 13th October, I had no response to the email though it stated contact would be made within 24 hours. Email response came on 13th October requesting me to ring yet again, When I finally got through by telephone after yet again being kept waiting for near on 45 minutes an engineer was booked he came out on the 17th october and reset the meter leaving £10 credit on it a new card was issued to remedy my problems and he said the reading would sort my refund in gas to me, I have heard nothing from anyone since then. I sent a letter to Sam Laidlaw CEO British Gas letter was sent after reading advice on the internet he too as ignored my plight has letter was sent 12th October.

The amount of time I am kept waiting to speak to a representative is totally unacceptable and unbelievable, no matter wether you ring early late or whenever it is always around 45 minutes waiting time this is disgusting.

This evening I have purchased £5 of Gas and it has only given me £1.50 again so I am in the same position as I was before the meter was supposed to have been set I don`t know who to contact or approach next about my position, I cannot keep affording these amounts of Gas on benefits.

Yours sincerely
    Gina

Miss Christine Anne Walker Aug 09, 2007

I am a first time buyer and despite making numerous phone calls since Monday 23 October, 2017, have not been billed by British Gas since I moved into the property on Friday 21 October, 2017. I gave them my gas meter reading and the meter number and tried, without success, to set up a direct debit.

British Gas are refusing to send me a correct bill for gas I have used since 21 October, 2017. I got sent a bill for gas used from August to end of October, 2017, which was incorrect. I have contacted their offices and the staff were most unhelpful, very abrupt and downright rude to me. They would not listen to my explanations that I had not even moved into the apartment in August, 2017. The flats were handed over by the builders in August but I did not take occupancy of the apartment until October. All they kept repeating was that I had to pay the bill because I owed the money and if I refused to pay they would send in debt recovery agents. I have always paid any bills I have on time or in most cases early and object most strongly to the staff bullying me and telling me that unless I pay I will be blacklisted for not paying my bill.

Do they not know what kind of effect this could have on pensioners?

Why has it taken 6 months to supposedly set me up on their “new system”.

Through no fault of my own I am now going to get a massive bill, which I will probably not be able to afford and all because of the unhelpful staff who were not willing to try and be a bit more co-operative.

Christine Walker.

• Bu
    Busher Oct 16, 2009

I was a British Gas customer up until 2017, in the property i moved into there was prepayment meters gas and electric. after about 6 months my gas meter kept tripping the tamper function cuttting off my gas supply. British Gas took days at a time to attend and I was left one time with no gas in november for 5 days. this continued for nealry 2 months I then insisted they changed my meters and was visited my a very sensible engineer who agreed. I refused to have a prepayment meter due to prior problems and was fitted a normal meter. After about 3 weeks i transferred to edf. Took and gave meter readings on the same day to each company. 2 months later Britsh Gas bill me £250 pound. I phoned and queried to be told my meter reading was too low so they had ignored it and estimated it - I did explain that due to having a new meter fitted the reading would be low. however they were not intested and offered me a payment plan which i refused - 3 weeks Gas even in winter surely cannot total £250?? I recently requested a gas meter from edf as I am in and out of hospital and didn't want to fall behind and my finances were due to change. Edf said no problem - however it turns out the meter that is in my house is registered already as a prepayment meter - this would be the meter removed in 2017! It turns out the meter in my house is not actually registered to my house!!! The meter has been sat in my house since oct 2017 the prepayment that i'm being billed 250 for was removed 2017 so who owes the £250 maybe like when i moved in and they didnt send me a payment card they had forgot to register me as the new tenant although they gave me a account number to use to purchase gas - who got that credit apparently not me!!!

Andro Oct 19, 2009

On 6 Aug 2017 I paid BG £197.76 for the removal of an off-peak electricity-meter. BG did not remove it and say they cannot remove it. Since 8 Sept 2017 I have been trying repeatedly to get my money back, but they will not pay me, although Steve Collar of BG Complaints Management Team agrees that they should do so. Unfortunately the Energy Ombudsman cannot help because BG was not connected with the EO last August/Sept.

• Li
    Little Oct 21, 2009

I phoned British Gas 2/9/06 about my gas bill I gave them a meter reading and ask them to calulate my bill. as I was having cancer treatment at the time I went into all my household accounts. they told me they owed me £208 and as I asked them they sent a chegue which they deny sending I have proof. in jan 07 they put the money back on my bill as an adjustment and has added too it ever since. i can get no sence at all apparently they changed there computer program tp S.A.P. in October 06 and its seems that who ever input the data had a field day. I have always paid by D.D but changed it to S.O and are paying them regularly each month. i recieved a red later informing that i owe more that what my bill says on line.and that the letter they sent is costing me £14.00.

• Fu
    Fukov Oct 24, 2009

Arranged with this company to replace card meter with key meter as they requested, giving 7 days notice. They could not do the replacement on the Thursday we requested but offered Friday, with a representative setting up emergency supply on the Thursday so we could stay over, clean and use power. We had advised them we were travelling 200 miles for their appointment. Despite repeated calls on mobiles, costing £5 per time while they dithered about, nobody came out all day and we were totally unable to work or stay in the property.

Cost us petrol for 2 cars and labour cost for the builder we had taken with us, plus his labourer and at least £15 in lengthy phone calls to British Gas.

Trundles Oct 27, 2009

Ok, so you should be able to make a complaint and recover the ancillary costs you incurred in having to make the complaint but not for your time. It is important that you document this as well as explain exactly what you want back. You could use something like disputer.com which is is a free independent complaints assistance service that knows the complaints process for British Gas and if you are not satisfied will send you case to the Ombudsman to get compensation back as poor service should not be accepted. I had an issue with their HomeCare service which left without heating or hot water for 11 days for a common fault they could not fix, I was so frustrated but managed to get compensation in the end using disputer

Trundles Oct 27, 2009

Ok so you would be considered from a legal perspective as a vulnerable consumer and what they have done is not acceptable and actually not allowed. You should contact Consumer Focus as they are a Government funded agency there to assist vulnerable consumers with issues against energy providers or an online such as disputer.com to help make the complaint and guide you through the process.

Resolved worst company in the world

I am a young gurl that got in 2 deth with british gas wen i first recived my flat at 17.. since then they hav been makeing me pay 10 aweek extra 0n my electric and £5 per week on my gas. i am on benifite and i recive my benifit fourtnight i have been payining £50 ponds a fournight on just the deth alone not including my accual gas/ele its self with is 5ponds every 3 days not mentioning i only recive 80 pounds pwer fournight... i have call brith gas on a number of accations and they have said they will reduce it and they still havnt i also recived a letter from british gas saying they will reduce it and they still havnt...

Resolved unpaid bill

My mother-in-law passed away 23/10/2006, leaving no estate, we informed all who needed informing about her passing, sending copies of her death, this includes british gas.
Over the next few months we kept getting letters from them asking for payment of the bill.Each time we replied by letter or phone.Each time thinking we shall hear no more, as this is upseeting for my husaband.

Yes we hear no more for 12 mnths, then today we get a letter from a debt agency threatening to take my mother-in-law to court!!!
How dare they, do they not understand she is DEAD?
I am appalled at their behaviour, do they not communicate at british gas?

Resolved terrible service

Hot water supply stopped. As I am on Homecare with British Gas I contacted them to repair my hot water supply as there was an airlock. Three different technicians over three days came to my home to repair the problem and each and every one of them said they were unable to repair so I had no hot water. The last technician said that this was a plumber's job for which I am covered. As I recieved no satisfaction from British Gas I telephoned a private plumber for the repair. He immediately found the problem and repaired it. That very day a manager from British Gas came to my home to see if he could be of any assistance and found that we had solved our problem by a private plumber. He volunteered that British Gas would reimburse me when we recieved the plumber's bill and to let him know, and gave us his mobile number and name. About nine or ten calls to this number have failed to get any response. Repeated calls to British gas has produced no satisfaction. As I am covered for such eventualities I feel I have no obligation to pay for a private plumber to the sum of £237.00. I am a pensioner. The manager's name is Trevor Miller. His mobile number that I have repeatedly called is [protected]. I have written Homecare and to date have not recieved any satisfaction. I did though recieve a letter acknowledging that I had written and that my letter was turned over to the proper channel. To date I have not heard anything from British Gas Homecare.

Trundles Oct 27, 2009

You could use something like disputer.com which is is a free independent complaints assistance service that knows the complaints process for British Gas and if you are not satisfied will send you case to the Ombudsman to get compensation back as poor service should not be accepted. I had an issue with their HomeCare service as well which left us without heating or hot water for 11 days for a common fault they could not fix especially as my 3 kids were under 3 and it was the coldest time of the year, I was so frustrated but managed to get compensation in the end using disputer

• St
    Strawberrygashesgirl Jan 05, 2010

I agree, British Gas is awful. We are also covered by the Homecare package that they offer which covers our central heating and hot water, alledgedly.

Well, our boiler has given us hot and cold water every time we have tried to use the shower for 2 years now, and British Gas have attempted to fix it more than 25 times (lost count now) during those two years, often leaving us with not hot water and poor heating.

It is now the coldest winter we have seen for so many years, we have once again got no hot water, no heating, no nothing. British Gas won't send out an engineer until tomorrow as they are all busy waiting for "priority calls". We have called the Head Office of British Gas, and they have agreed FINALLY to replace our broken, unreliable, unfixable boiler - which the mechanics have said more or less every time that they have no idea HOW they could fix it, I mean they have replaced literally every single part of it - we've had 6 new plate heat exhangers fitted (3 of them within a week) and they still insit that is what is causing the problem!?!?! So anyway, they have now admitted that it cannot be fixed, but that it COULD have been fixed if we had done a power flush (we had one a couple of weeks ago at their expense, but it did no good), and they have NOW only just agreed to give us a new boiler!!! HOORAH!

But wait, there is more!

Having now agreed to give us a new boiler they are saying that we cannot have it untl the 12th January 2010, which is a week away from today. So we now have no hot water or heating for a week, we can't have showers, our new lodger will probably move out which means we'll have to sell the house, not to mention that I have a heart condition (been operated on twice now) and it is triggered by shocks (i.e. taking a shower in water that constantly flits between freezing cold and scolding hot). Well, the least they could do is bring us some heaters to heat a couple of rooms in the house??? I mean it is the coldest winter we've had for years... but no of course not! They refused us point blank, knowing all of these issues which could arise from not having hot water and heating, they won't even supply us with heaters.

So that's it, thanks SO much British Gas, you've left us this winter without any heating, hot water, and ZERO understanding and compensation. I don't think we'll be thinking kindly while filling out your survey.

Anon 33 Apr 24, 2011

I know Trevor Miller, or did, or thought I did. He is really not to be trusted so I can believe that you would call him and he wouldn't answer.

Anon 33 Feb 22, 2012

Try 07852191510

Resolved rip off

My father is frail and elderly (75) and suffers from a rnage of illnesses the worst of which is lymphomatic cancer of the neck. Given his state of health and age he is easily confised and found himself in a situation where BG allowed him to amass £400 of debt. When he tried to resolve the problem with them they then reviewed his case and decided that he would have to pay £300 on top of the accrued bill in administration fees.

I have tried without success to get them to explain how they came to first the bill and then the adminstration fee. In the summer they threatened to disconnect him unless he went on to a pay as you go key. This he did and now he is paying over £60 per week for his gas and electricy on his meagre pension.

BG are also refusing to respond to me depite the fact that I have sent a letter of authority from my father confirming that I can act on his behalf.

Winter is coming and my father is no longer in remission from his cancer he cannot afford to be without heat and light - for him it is a matter of life a death. He is also very stressed by the size of this bill which doesn't seem to go down and which BG are instend he pays or else they will not let him move to a cheaper provider.

Trundles Oct 27, 2009

From a consumer rights perspective your father would be considered be a vulnerable consumer and that is really important as British Gas have to give special consideration and assistance. You should contact Consumer Focus the government watchdog to look after vulnerable consumers issues with energy companies or use disputer on a free online assisted complaints service.

Resolved hate british gas and all who work there

They have an obessession with threatening court action on me, despite my willingness to pay for power I have actually used. I have just paid a bill to stop them writing to me ever again. Though they havent provided any information on how they actually calculated it, and they can't provide an invoice of payments received, apparently.

I just cannot afford to waste any more of my life dealing with demotivated ###s on the telephone who assure you that everything is sorted; only to get another [censored] letter a month later proving no one on the staff can carry out the simplest of tasks any longer. I must have wasted about 20 hours on the telephone plus the time composing letters and trying to fathom their billing system. I am thinking a wax doll is appropriate. I'm sure I'd find it therapuetic, maybe soak it in lighter gas... They spent 6 months trying to take me to court over gas I hadn't used. I even paid some of it as they sent such nasty letters. When I finally got an electric bill after a year and some begging from me, I arranged to pay it in installments as it was a little bit large (covering a year.) They took ages to get the card to me and started threatening to take me to court again in the meantime. I changed to powergen and they even managed to interfere with the readings I sent to powergen, by sending confusing estimated readings; then denying responsibility for the estimated readings and blaming powergen.

I'm becoming somewhat immune to the threats now, but it was a nasty shock at first.

No one has ever taken me to court over an unpaid bill.

Well I just hate them now. Been making their payments despite not trusting their bills which they refuse to make obvious like bills used to be, still got another letter from the fake solicitor with no phone... grrr grrrrr grrrrrrrrr.

When I complained to the authority I just got put onto some bg employee and what a waste of time that was...

Well hopefully will never have to deal with them again now. I feel violated and probably ripped off. I asked for compensation for the hours of my life lost on the 'phone doing their admin for them and they offered £!0 for the phone bill. I try to see the funny side but i do want to punch some1 there, anyone.

Resolved awful service

Hot water supply stopped. As I am on Homecare with British Gas I contacted them to repair my hot water supply as there was an airlock. Three different technicians over three days came to my home to repair the problem and each and every one of them said they were unable to repair so I had no hot water. The last technician said that this was a plumber's job for which I am covered. As I received no satisfaction from British Gas I telephoned a private plumber for the repair. He immediately found the problem and repaired it. That very day a manager from British Gas came to my home to see if he could be of any assistance and found that we had solved our problem by a private plumber. He volunteered that British Gas would reimburse me when we received the plumber's bill and to let him know, and gave us his mobile number and name. About nine or ten calls to this number have failed to get any response. Repeated calls to British gas has produced no satisfaction. As I am covered for such eventualities I feel I have no obligation to pay for a private plumber to the sum of £237.00. I am a pensioner. The manager's name is Trevor Miller. His mobile number that I have repeatedly called is [protected]. I have written Homecare and to date have not received any satisfaction. I did though receive a letter acknowledging that I had written and that my letter was turned over to the proper channel. To date I have not heard anything from British Gas Homecare.

billing problems

I was with British Gas 2 years ago, i moved to a different provider as they are not sending me any bills even though I tried to contact them many times.

- July 2007 they sent me a final electricity bill 0f £320 which we have settled and thought that it was the end of it, but to my nightmare they came hunting us again with their series of inconsistent electricity statement!!!

-August 19, 2008 they sent us a a final electricity statement with our final balance in credit as £0.00

-August 19, 2008 a second letter saying im sorry for the delay sending your bill etc etc., youll be pleased to learn that were not charging you for any energy used over a year ago. so As youll see from your bill your account balance is set £0.00 signed by Kevin Roxburgh, head of debt.

- and then lo and behold sept. 19, 2008 what did i recieve???
YOU STILL NEED TO PAY YOUR FINAL BILL (wt[censored])
WE NEED TO REMIND YOU THAT YOUR FINAL ELECTRICITY BILL FOR £506.33 REMAINS OVERDUE...
BE AWARE THAT CONTINUED NON PAYMENT MAY RESULT IN SEVERE CONSEQUENCES.
signed by pHIL bENTLEY, MANAGING DIRECTOR

What is this are they taking the mickey of the paying public???

I TRIED TO RING THEIR COMPLAINTS NUMBER AND WAITED FOR HOW MANY MINUTES AT 0845 RATE WHICH MUST COST ME A FORTUNE, THEN WHEN I FINALLY SPOKE TO AN AGENT NAMED MARGARET SHE INSISTED THAT WE HAD TO PAY THE AMOUNT WITHOUT EVEN HEARING WHAT I WANT TO SAY, WHAT KIND OF COMPLAINTS HANDLING IS THAT??? TO MAKE IT WORST SHE CUT OFF THE LINE WHILE I WAS TALKING AND HAD TO TRY 3X AGAIN WAITING FOR AGES TO GET THROUGH THEN TO BE CUT OFF AGAIN.

I AM SO FURIOUS WITH BRITISH GAS, I WILL NEVER EVER EVER GO BACK TO THEM AGAIN. I WILL MAKE A FORMAL COMPLAINT ABOUT THIS. i DO HOPE PEOPLE WILL READ THIS AND LEAVE BRITISH GAS THEY ARE SO INCOMPETENT AND THEY ARE NOT WORTH ANY SINGLE PENNY FOR A RUBBISH SERVICE DELIVERY!!!

Resolved annual service!

We have had British Gas Homecare agreement for a number of years. Our boiler used to get serviced in...

5 star heating plan

I tried to take out the 5 star plan from british gas.
When the engineer came to ### the central heating, he spotted that the sight glass on the boiler was cracked.
He told me that the boiler was not safe and would have to disconnect it because the boiler was old and parts were unobtainable.
Before he arrived the boiler had been working perfectly with this cracked sight glass for about ten years.
British gas sent a rep to sell me a new boiler to the cost of £2700
Or a new system for £4800.
My son obtained a new sight glass and replaced it, but still british gas want £160 to reconnect.
THEY ARE A COMPLETE DISGRACE,
THE 5 STAR PLAN IS A SCAM TO MAKE PROFIT MAINLY OUT OF THE OLD.
As i am an OAP I could not afford either of these two costs.
Therefore I have been without hot water or Central Heating since February 2007 As the winter approches I still cannot fird the money to repalce my boiler, if there is anyone out there that can suggest anything please get in touch.

• Ge
    george paul Nov 02, 2007

As an employee for a CORGI company I must advise you that British Gas were well within theirs rights to advise you that a cracked sight glass is indeed a dangerous situation. As per the regulations set out to ALL gas engineers to ensure your safety, any part of a boiler that is missing, or damaged on a room sealed boiler that will allow in certain circumstances combustion products to enter a room - such as a cracked sight glass - will be classed as immediately dangerous - a situation where the appliance needs to be physically disconnected from the gas supply. It is the LAW. I have had many instances when customers call for a second opinion and I tell them what they have already been told. Hope this helps with your query.

Michael Cliff Nov 18, 2008

I have recently finished working as a sub contractor with British Gas, and have to say they are the worst companyin the universe to work for.90% of boilers on the home care package dont even get a proper service which is what there customers are paying for.They are more interested in pointing out all the changes in regulations which makes the customer think there boiler is unsafe and they pay rip off prices to rectify the faults.I for one wouldnt let BG near my boiler if i was freezing to death.Every person with a contract with BG for boiler repair should either cancel it or flush that money down the toilet.My services are available for a fraction of what the all mighty British Gas charge.And dont think they just treat customers like crap they do the same to there subbies

unacceptable and disgraceful service!

My Grandparents made a "free no-obligation quotation" appointment with British Gas to have a new boiler fitted. The gentleman used hard sell and high pressured tactics to get my elderly grandparents to hand over a check for £300. They were not told of any "7 day cooling off period" and were not told to read any terms and conditions. When my grandparents tried to cancel the installation and get their money back, British Gas kept saying the gentleman was in a meeting or unavailable and by the time they got in contact with him they were told it was too late and that seven days had gone. British gas are a cruel and disgraceful company that prey on the elderly and need to be investigated.

• Im
    Imran Nov 12, 2007

I am absolutely disgusted by the service provided by the prepayments team at British gas, we have recently moved to the property been there 4 weeks now and British gas have still been unsuccessful despite numerous promises that they will sent out a new card to activate the meter, first they told me they didnt supply gas after one full day of convincing they told me that they did and I had to buy a replacement card as the one left by the previous owner was faulty, so went ahead and got one, that's not working, called again told to get another one so got another one. Guess what? that doesn't work either, so called them again and guess what, now I'm told that I need a 'proper' card to reactivate the meter, been two weeks still waiting.

There are children in the property and we have had no gas for two full days, today I was told "we have insufficient manpower in your area" therefore I can't have any emergency gas. And this is what they classify as a service, absolutely rubbish! and disgusting! I can't believe the law is allowing them to get away with this!