Menu
Expedia Customer Service Phone, Email, Contacts

Expedia
reviews & complaints

www.expedia.com

Learn how the rating is calculated

1.4 1480 Reviews

Expedia Complaints Summary

134 Resolved
1304 Unresolved
Our verdict: If considering services from Expedia with a critical resolution rate, extra caution is advised. Examine detailed customer feedback to understand the severity and nature of unresolved issues. Be prepared for the possibility of unsatisfactory responses and have contingency plans, including seeking assistance from consumer advocacy groups if necessary.
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Expedia has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Expedia. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews
File a complaint

Newest Expedia reviews & complaints

7:56 pm EST

Expedia Account

Hi,
We have Expedia with one of our Hotels Exchange Hotel in Toogoolawah QLD already. We have recently just bought a new place in the same town and put in 5 ensuited deluxe rooms called Peddlars Rest. (less than 200m from the Exchange Hotel) I went to set up Peddlars Rest with Expedia only to be told their isn't enough demand in our area. How is it that the Exchange Hotel which is always booked out can be with Expedia but I cant list the new place with them.

Desired outcome: Allow us to set up with Expedia

J
4:53 am EST

Expedia Awaiting a refund

Booked a hotel for March 19th 2020, 4 nights. Hotel then closed and so did the French borders. I have been chasing Expedia for 18 months. I have an email stating they were processing a refund and it never materialised. They now keep saying they have to email the hotel and wait 10 days . I have asked on numerous occasions what the resolution process and timescales are and they just thank me for my patience.

Desired outcome: Refund

M
5:25 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Expedia Unethical behavior with customer service dept.

This is in regards to a simple change of dates on a flight to dubai in january through expedia that stated there is a change fee i would incur of over $2000 that they stated is the airline rule not theirs. On contacting the airline qatar, they stated they have been waving all fees for changes and cancelations for over a year due to covid. Despite numerous calls to the customer service dept on several occasions, having to state my case been dropped halfway into my call several times, being placed on hold for what amounted to hours of my time, the service reps would keep going back around to the same fees or cancellation charges.
I ultimately got so disgusted with the run around i cancelled the whole trip.
My itinery # [protected]

Desired outcome: TOTAL REFUND

H
8:20 pm EDT

Expedia Car rental cancellation

I made a reservation for a car rental with Dollar rental that involved paying some amount of the rental in advance. At the time I made the booking, I was sure that I'd read the cancellation policy clearly, and that is said I could get a full refund up to 24 hours in advance. I re-read it again before cancelling. However, it wasn't until I'd actually cancelled that it was made clear to me that I was paying a $50 cancellation fee. The cancellation policy was poorly written, in a way that feels like they were intentionally trying to mislead me. It would be very easy to add a statement that says something like "THIS RESERVATION DOES NOT HAVE FREE CANCELLATION". I might still have made the reservation had I known, and not come away angry afterwards. Now I never want to use Expedia again.

Desired outcome: I'd like my $50 back in addition to the rest.

H
6:24 pm EDT

Expedia Cancellation of hotel stay

I booked a hotel stay for late August 2021 through Expedia. I paid for cancellation insurance just in case. However, the day I was to check into the hotel (a 5 hour drive) the weather had a travel advisory warning; being afraid to drive in gale-force winds and rain, I called the hotel and told them due to severe weather, I would need to cancel. They said I should call expedia. I called expedia and they advised I need to call and cancel with the hotel. The hotel would need to forgive the late cancellation. The hotel did not have a problem cancelling, but said they had nothing to do with the billing, expedia is the one. Expedia said they would need to speak with the manager. However, after several attempts to call expedia, nobody would clarify with me whether or not I would be charged. They are so difficult to deal with and so unethical in their dealings. Now, I'm stuck with an over $200 bill for a room/ stay that I never enjoyed due to sever weather.

I will never book with expedia again.

Desired outcome: credit card refund

B
11:12 am EDT

Expedia Refund not received

June 1, 2021: Two tickets purchased on Precision Air: $499.60
June 10, 2021: Precision Air cancelled the flight; Expedia gave travel credit
June 10, 2021: Contacted Expedia and requested refund; travel credit in Africa was not acceptable
June 10, 2021: Contacted Precision Air: they would be happy to refund in full, but it must go through Expedia
June 10, 2021: Contacted Expedia: Expedia said they would send email requesting waver code
July 2021...numerous calls to Expedia; we have not received information from Precision Air
Aug 20, 2021: went directly to Precision Air in Arusha Africa; they said they would refund and we would have it within 2 weeks
Sept 28, 2021: Only one ticket was refunded ($239.50): contacted Precision Air directly and they said they refunded $479.00. I have all the emails from Precision air
Oct 28, 2021: contacted Expedia and they said that all money was refunded and I could speak to a supervisor in the next couple of days if I wasn't happy

Desired outcome: I would like the rest of the refund of $239.50

N
1:17 pm EDT

Expedia Flight booking and refund

My flight that was booked through Expedia was canceled. Expedia could not rebook my flight, so you sent me an email that you would refund my money and i had to book through another system. This was on 28 Aug. I have yet to receive my refund. What is worst is that now you are acting like you dont know me. I cant reach anyone through your phone system to find a resolution. So, now i am having to find any way to get my money back.
As a retired Marine and a teacher, i cant afford to let you keep my $1030.00. In addition, i find your behavior rather abhorrent and dishonorable.
This isnt happening because i was a bad customer. I didn't cancel my flight you did. I dealt with you in good faith and now you are trying to cheat.
I booked my flight with the number [protected]. I have all the emails detailing my several calls and emails stating you will refund this sum.

2:28 pm EDT

Expedia Refused refund

RE: Itinerary # [protected]
I'm requesting a refund or partial refund for the bait and switch experienced at both the rental car agency and hotel associated with this itinerary for Roberto Alvarez.
Upon arrival, the Rental Car Agency attempted to add over $400 dollars in additional fees. Therefore, we rented a car elsewhere. Upon arrival at the Hotel Las Salinas we discovered the hotel was not as advertised. It may be a family owned hotel but it is completely unsafe and not suited for families. The hotel's representation in Expedia is inaccurate. We did not check into this hotel, did not spend even one night there.
When I called to request a refund or partial refund I was told it's Expedia's policy is to let the vendors determine if they will give a refund for Unused Services. Expedia partners with bad faith vendors and then supports these vendors when Expedia customers are cheated.
I asked the Expedia Customer Service agent to connect me with a supervisor and the call was disconnected after waiting online over 30 minutes. Shame on Expedia for such poor customer service and for total disregard for their customers.

Desired outcome: Total or partial refund for unused car rental and hotel

11:27 pm EDT

Expedia Gold Partner Plan

Simple flight change turns into a 3 day frustrating issue because my reservation included my wife and daughter, so I was unable to change only my flight on expedia and delta. Called several times and promised and assured the change, call backs from managers, exedra but nothing happened. I tried another 2 hours on chat, was hung up/disconnected form 3 agents, promised to be called back by 2 managers and never heard a thing. I have screen shots a of all chats and records of all phone calls. The worst part is each time you spoke or chat with different agent, they ask the same info over and over again.

Desired outcome: Let of Buisness/personal customers aware and to try different platform

M
8:17 pm EDT

Expedia Refund for cancelled flight due to coronavirus restriction

Hello
It was a round trip Dallas Texas United State of America to Cairo Egypt. They cancelled the flight from Cairo To Dallas due to Coronavirus restriction. I talked to British airway and they told me that Your company has to do the refund since I made my reservation through your company

I need a refund for my Cancelled flight due to travel restriction:
Ticket number: [protected]
Itinarary number: [protected]
Confirmation code: R6CFFP I am not sure about that
Flight; BA 154
From Cairo Egypt to Dallas through London. Date January 12, 2019or 2019
Thanks for your cooperation.

Desired outcome: Refund

2:52 pm EDT

Expedia Lancaster Inn, Lancaster, CA

I cancelled a second night reservation at the Lancaster Inn, after I spend the first night in a room with no air conditioning in the desert in August and there were no lights in the bathroom or over the sink. I spoke to the desk cleark and they claimed to have cancelled the reservation and immediately posted a room available sign as I stood there.

Expedia claims that they can't reach the manager and refused a refund. I called and the manager is working there this afternoon.

Desired outcome: Refund for one night!

8:24 am EDT

Expedia Flight booking and charges

I am still holding trying to correct a flight booking incorrectly made on telephone by one of your agents. Flights misbooked for 23rd July 2022 Marseille to Athens Lufthansa flight 2261 8.45 Marseille to Munich then fl 1752 Munich to Athens. The direct swop to flights on 22nd July should have been cheaper but your site raised the prices twice during the change to £522. Your agent then booked me on the wrong flight from munich going via frankfurt to athens landing at 17.15. The price of £336 was the price on your website for these flights as it is NOW/TODAY on your competitors sites such as edreams and Opodo. Even Lufthansa's site has the price for 22nd July Mrs to Munich to Heathrow 8.45 to 14.30 fl 2261 and 1752 ar 1113.96 Euros/ £944 for 2 seats yet you are asking £1044 even today as opposed to £761 by Opodo. You have acted dishonestly and I request a partial refund to at least the advertised FULL price by Lufthansa .

Desired outcome: Refund of at least the £78 and should be offer of £283 to match your original price online before changes requested.

J
10:54 am EDT

Expedia failed to cancel and refund my money

I wanted a hotel for sept 11 2021 they booked me for oct 11 did not cancel me or refund my money

R
2:48 pm EDT

Expedia Flight refund

My husband and I booked flights for our honeymoon to travel in April 2020 and unfortunately could not fly due to the country being placed on lock down. We received credits for the flights from Expedia valid until September 2021. Unfortunately the restrictions continue and and fell pregnant in January 2021 making it unsafe to travel. I contacted Expedia on the 2 May 2021 and requested and extension on our credits and we would only be able to fly after the baby was born. I was advised that It would be better to cancel and pay a 100 dollar cancellation fee per a flight which I agreed to as we did not know when we would be fully vaccinated and when countries would let us in. I received a cancellation email advising that the refund would take upto 12 weeks. From the 02 May to date, I have yet to receive my refund. It has now been 22 weeks that I have been waiting. I again contacted Expedia two weeks ago and was told it would take 7 days yet no refund. It is ridiculous that I need to spend even more money calling an overseas number and holding on for ages to beg for half of my money back and still get no assistance. I will advise all other people to never to use Expedia

Desired outcome: Refund my flights at no cancellation charge immediately

R
11:32 am EDT

Expedia Expedia Issued Unusable Airline Credits for a Bankrupt Airline

We purchased non-refundable round-trip tickets to Rome through Expedia in May of this year.

There were multiple changes to our itinerary made by the airlines (not by us) earlier this year in May shortly after we made our reservations. Those changes were substantial (including cancelling one leg of the trip and two new legs and changing the flight times by several hours earlier) making the trip cancellable for a full refund. However, Expedia failed to inform us that was an option at the time, so we took no action even though we would have cancelled (for a refund) had we known that was an option.

Later, when the trip became cancellable again due to new E.U. COVID related restrictions at the end of August, Expedia only offered airline credits (with no other option), but failed to inform us that Alitalia (the airline that issued the tickets) was going out of business and that the credits would have to be used by October 14th of this year with very limited flights available, making the credits essentially useless.

Not informing us of our option to cancel the flights earlier in May and then later offering airline credits for an airline that is going bankrupt is unfair and deceptive. However, Expedia refuses to refund the tickets, saying they are required to follow the policy of the airline that issued the tickets (Alitalia) and cannot provide a refund, even though Expedia and Alitalia are independent companies.

Desired outcome: A full refund of the purchase price of the tickets

G
12:25 am EDT

Expedia Keith St. Clair & Mare St. Clair Hotel Conspiracy With Expedia

This hotel along with expedia took money off of my card. I made reservations which I cancelled a month before my vacation. During my vacation the hotel in cohorts with expedia never processed my cancellation and they penalized me for that I had to lose money for their mistake after several hours of phone tag no one has given me any explanation to why I charge for canceling a month ahead of time. I was four hotels down from them when they charged my card and ruin the rest of my vacation by taking my vacation money i had to spend and tying my funds up while in Puerto Rico almost leaving me stranded.

After talking to the operator who said i was getting a refund after 7-10 business days. I waited 7-10 business days only to call back and find out a refund was never even processed. and they had no record of all my previous calls I'm am seriously frustrated that i did not choose booking.com instead of expedia they would have never did this to me.

Desired outcome: I want my refund in full payment

3:57 am EDT

Expedia Expedia

To summarize, 5 of us booked a trip thru you from Miami to Managua on Avianca (Taca) airlines leaving on September 18, 2021 and returning on September 26, 2021. Then on July 26, 2021 I spoke with your customer service and changed our return flight to September 25, 2021. The itinerary you sent me showing the new dates is attached. Then unfortunately Steve Kepler got COVID right before the trip so he, his son Colby, and Steve Honey backed out of the trip. So I spoke with your customer service on September 14, 2021 and cancelled the flights for Steve Kepler, Colby Kepler, and Steve Honey. If you listen to that recording it will be clear that only the flights for those 3 were cancelled and that Nash and I were keeping our flights. She went over this so it will be clear when you listen to it. So then my son and I went to Nicaragua as scheduled on Sept 18 with no issues. However, when we got to the Managua airport for our return trip we were not in the system anywhere for our return flight so obviously you guys set up the flight incorrectly. So in the end I was left with no other alternative but to buy 2 new tickets back home and I obviously need to be reimbursed for those tickets, which totaled $970.76. The receipts are shown below.

Also, just wanted to mention the day I had with your customer service. So after being hung up on 3 times, and I was being very polite the entire time, I reached a fourth person who put me on hold and never came back. I let it hold for 2 hours 47 minutes before I hung up. You can see the screenshot below. Then I reached a 5th person who finally set up a future phone meeting with management.
Update - been hung up on 6 times as of 10/06/2021!

C
2:59 pm EST

Expedia issue with a car rental

I have made several attempts to contact Expedia about this issue, no one is helping me and I'm out a LOT Of $. Expedia's website changed the car rental location from Montrose to Durango Colorado. I didn't get the car I paid for and Avis and Expedia isn't refunding me. I don't know what to do here.

Desired outcome: full refund

G
5:17 pm EDT

Expedia Expedia Abandonment

Expedia "Abandoned" my partner and I in a foreign country. No contact, no advice, no support. No even one email. We no longer existed.
We sent several email requests to Expedia with no response. We placed numerous calls to Expedia, sometimes waiting as long as 90 minutes to connect with one of your agents only to be told that your system was updating itself, that your agents could not even see our account and could not help us. We were told to call back in four hours, which we did, four times over a period of 24 hours with the same response our file did not exist, and they could not help us. Connecting with the airline was impossible. Their phone agents overloaded, and their online site did not recognize our booking. Finally, 24 hours after our flight was canceled, I got through to the airlines and they gave us a flight. However, that flight to Fort Lauderdale would put us in a position of missing our connection to our flight back to Canada. We had no choice but to refuse the offer. With the USA and Canadian governments closing the boarders and without any contact from Expedia or ability to renegotiate with JetBlue, we acquired a flight directly from Mexico to Canada.
We appreciate that the entire Expedia trip was disastrous and that we received none of the services promised when booking this trip through Expedia because of the pandemic crises. We accept that this crisis was beyond any of our control. However, what we cannot excuse is the abandonment of Expedia and the unwilling or incapability of your agents to assist us during the crisis. This is unacceptable behaviour of any travel organization in a time of crisis.
Your current TV advertising "It makes a difference who you travel with", implies that Expedia is there to ensure safe travel for its clients. Obviously we have firsthand evidence to the contrary.

Desired outcome: Gary Agnew 1.403.850.3268

6:39 pm EDT

Expedia did not receive a refund

On 7/28/2021 I booked a reservation at Tahoe Beach & Ski Club. On 8/31/2021 I canceled the reservation with enough time to get a full refund minus the insurance cost. I have called on 9/20/2021 and asked where is my refund and they said it was generated but not processed and would have to escalate the issue to the corporate office. I called back on 9/27/2021 and they said it would have to be 10 days for a response so I called back on 10/1/2021 and the person said that they would email corporate again since they are the only ones that can handle the issue.

Desired outcome: receive my refund of $1,395.12

Expedia Customer Reviews Overview

Expedia is a popular online travel booking platform that offers a wide range of travel services, including flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises, and vacation packages. The website has received a significant number of positive reviews from customers who have used its services.

One of the most appreciated features of Expedia is its user-friendly interface, which makes it easy for customers to search and book their travel arrangements. The website also offers a variety of filters and sorting options to help customers find the best deals and options that suit their preferences.

Another positive aspect of Expedia is its competitive pricing. Many customers have reported finding great deals on flights, hotels, and vacation packages through the website. Additionally, Expedia offers a rewards program that allows customers to earn points for their bookings, which can be redeemed for discounts on future travel.

Expedia's customer service has also received praise from many customers. The website offers a 24/7 customer support team that can assist with any issues or questions that customers may have. Many customers have reported receiving prompt and helpful responses from the support team.

Overall, Expedia is a highly recommended travel booking platform that offers a wide range of services, competitive pricing, and excellent customer service. Whether you're planning a quick weekend getaway or a long-term vacation, Expedia is a great option to consider.

Expedia In-depth Review

Website Design and User Experience: The website design of Expedia is clean and user-friendly, making it easy to navigate and find the information you need. The search bar is prominently displayed, allowing users to quickly search for flights, hotels, and car rentals. The layout is intuitive, with clear categories and filters to refine your search results.

Booking Process and Ease of Use: The booking process on Expedia is straightforward and hassle-free. Once you have selected your travel options, the website guides you through the booking process step by step. The checkout process is seamless, and you can easily review and modify your booking details before finalizing your purchase.

Range of Travel Options: Expedia offers a wide range of travel options, including flights, hotels, car rentals, vacation packages, and activities. Whether you're looking for a budget-friendly option or a luxury getaway, Expedia has something for everyone. The website also provides detailed information about each option, helping you make an informed decision.

Pricing and Discounts: Expedia offers competitive pricing and frequently provides discounts and deals on various travel options. The website allows you to compare prices from different airlines and hotels, ensuring that you get the best value for your money. Additionally, Expedia's loyalty program offers exclusive discounts and benefits to its members.

Customer Service and Support: Expedia provides excellent customer service and support. Their customer service team is available 24/7 to assist you with any queries or issues you may have. The website also has a comprehensive FAQ section and a live chat feature, making it easy to get the help you need.

Loyalty Program and Rewards: Expedia's loyalty program, Expedia Rewards, allows members to earn points on their bookings, which can be redeemed for future travel. The program offers additional benefits, such as exclusive discounts, free upgrades, and access to VIP amenities. Joining the loyalty program is free and easy.

Mobile App Functionality: Expedia's mobile app is user-friendly and offers the same functionality as the website. You can easily search and book flights, hotels, and car rentals on the go. The app also provides real-time updates on your travel itinerary and allows you to manage your bookings conveniently.

Trustworthiness and Security: Expedia is a trusted and reputable travel website. They have been in the industry for many years and have established partnerships with major airlines and hotel chains. The website uses secure encryption technology to protect your personal and payment information, ensuring a safe and secure booking experience.

Travel Insurance Options: Expedia offers travel insurance options to provide peace of mind during your trip. You can easily add travel insurance to your booking during the checkout process. The website provides detailed information about the coverage and benefits of each insurance option, allowing you to choose the one that best suits your needs.

Cancellation and Refund Policies: Expedia's cancellation and refund policies vary depending on the travel option you have booked. The website provides clear information about the cancellation and refund policies for each booking, allowing you to make an informed decision. It is recommended to review the policies before making a booking.

Additional Services and Features: In addition to flights, hotels, and car rentals, Expedia offers various additional services and features. These include airport transfers, travel guides, and activities. The website also provides helpful travel tips and recommendations to enhance your travel experience.

Overall Rating and Recommendation: Expedia is a reliable and user-friendly travel website that offers a wide range of travel options at competitive prices. The website design and user experience are excellent, making it easy to find and book your desired travel options. The customer service and support are top-notch, ensuring a smooth and enjoyable booking experience. With its loyalty program and mobile app functionality, Expedia provides added benefits and convenience to its users. Overall, Expedia is highly recommended for all your travel needs.

How to file a complaint about Expedia?

1. Log in or create an account: Ensure you are logged in to your ComplaintsBoard.com account. If you do not have an account, please register by providing the necessary details to create one.

2. Navigating to the complaint form: Once logged in, locate the 'File a Complaint' button located at the top right corner of the website and click on it to access the complaint form.

3. Writing the title: In the 'Complaint Title' field, concisely summarize the main issue you have encountered with Expedia. Make it specific and clear, such as "Incorrect Billing on Hotel Booking" or "Cancellation Policy Not Honored".

4. Detailing the experience: In the complaint description, provide a detailed account of your experience with Expedia. Include key areas such as:

• The nature of the service or product you used.
  • Specific details about any transactions, including dates, amounts, and confirmation numbers.
  • A clear description of the problem and how it has affected you.
  • Any communication you've had with Expedia's customer service, including their response or lack thereof.
  • Steps you have taken to resolve the issue and the outcomes.
  • The personal impact, such as inconvenience, financial loss, or stress.

Be as factual and chronological as possible to paint a clear picture of the events.

5. Attaching supporting documents: Attach any relevant documents or evidence that supports your complaint. This could include receipts, emails, screenshots, or confirmation numbers. Do not include sensitive personal information such as credit card numbers or passwords.

6. Filling optional fields: Use the 'Claimed Loss' field to indicate any financial losses you have incurred due to the issue. In the 'Desired Outcome' field, describe what resolution you are seeking from Expedia, whether it's a refund, an apology, or another form of compensation.

7. Review before submission: Carefully review your complaint for clarity, accuracy, and completeness. Ensure that all the information provided is correct and that your desired outcome is reasonable and clearly stated.

8. Submission process: Once you are satisfied with your complaint, click the 'Submit' button to send your complaint to ComplaintsBoard.com.

9. Post-Submission Actions: After submitting your complaint, keep an eye on your ComplaintsBoard.com account for any responses or updates. You may receive feedback from other users or from Expedia through the platform, so it's important to monitor the progress of your complaint.