Complaints & Reviews

very poor quality of carpet

Empire installers was at my home on06/22/07 to install carpet. I noticed the carpet was not of the quality I had chosen. I immediately phoned Empire. In speaking with the first employee I was hung up on. I phoned back and spoke with a Timothy he asked that I have the carpet installed. I said NO WAY. Again the carpet was a second grade carpet that one would have installed in a family room or den. The customer service that I recieved was VERY POOR. As of now I am still awaiting a phone call from Empire.

Empire-Today Jun 27, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and are currently researching this matter. Unfortunately, we were not able to access your information within our database and need more information from you to do so. Please contact us at 847-583-3000 between the hours of 9am-5:30pm CST. Ask to speak to one our Consumer Affair Agents. You will need either your home telephone number that links you to your account or your work order # that is on your original paperwork when calling in. Thank you and have a great day.

• Ym
    YMSaj Sep 02, 2007

Empire Today - what a bunch of liars. This is the EXACT SAME FORM COMMENT they leave with EVERY COMPLAINT on EVERY COMPLAINT WEBSITE.

Check out the "comment" they leave to all the complaints on this website, then check out the "comment" they leave on other complaint websites. Exactly the same.

Empire is a dishonest, deceitful, low-rent company.

• Re
    renee leonard Nov 05, 2007

They installed carpet in my house when I wasn't at home. When I got home they had extra carpet laying in the driveway; but when they left; they said they had no extra. I saw it in their van so I know it was a lie. Also, I am sure they didn't lay the carpet I picked out. It seems to be a much cheaper quality. I had this done about one year ago and the carpet looks like it's about 10 years old. VERY POOR QUALITY MATERIAL AND WORK!!! I have told every person I know NOT to use Empire. Not only did they install a poorer brand of carpet than I paid for; they stole what was leftover.

• Ka
    katrina Oct 09, 2008

I purchased carpet from Empire in Apr 08. Within one month the carpet on the stairs began to lift up at the corners. I called Empire and they agreed to send the original installer to the house to fix the problem. When the guy showed up, I didn't recognize him or his sub contractor company, nor did he recognize me. Needless to say it was not the original installer to fix it. They sent someone else. The next issue on the stairs began shortly thereafter. The tack strips were poking threw the carpet. My 9 yr old daughter found this out the hard way. After further inspection we noticed several tacks on other steps. I called Empire to complain that once again the installer needed to come out. I was assured within 24 hrs I would receive a call as this was a "saftey issue". After a week and two phone calls to them later I finally am having the "original installer" coming to fix the problem tomorrow.
    My next complaint is the quality of the carpet. I paid 3800.00 for carpet that looks 10 years old already! The carpet is unwinding and very frizzy. There are serious wear signs just after 6 months. I have no animals and only one child. It looks terrible. I've called for an area supervisor to stop at the house and look at the problem. The carpet looks nothing like the floor sample provided. The quality looks like a rental home carpet that you would throw in because you expect wear and tear and do not want to invest alot of money into. However, this is our home and it looks like crap...i'm still waiting for an area supervisor to contact me. I'm every disappointed. Either they will be providing me new quality carpet, or we'll be going to court. DO NOT USE EMPIRE CARPET, IT'S JUNK!!!

bad installation!

We had our laminate floors installed 01/2007. Having just purchased our home, there was no heat. The salesman assured us this was not an issue (he had just called the office in front of us to make certain). Within a month the floor began to buckle.

They came out 2x to fix small areas and I asked to have the floors checked out for defects. They sent an "outside" inspector who did not seem interested to hear about the background of the floors and how they were installed with no heat in the home. His report stated that the floors were fine and we must have applied moisture and used the issue ourselves!

I paid for my own inspection, my guy was an engineer for 20+ years. He concluded that the floors were improperly installed due to the heat factor and could cause damage to my sub-floor. Empires own warranty on these floors and the contract state that the floors should be installed at a temp. of 65-80 degrees. It was probably 50 in the house on the day of installation.

This company wont refund me or replace the floors. The installation manager says I cannot prove that the salesman called into the office and got the okay to go ahead. What kind of business is this!! Bad customer service and obviously shoddy workmanship.

Empire-Today Jul 10, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and are currently researching this matter. You will be contacted within 24 hours to address your concerns in full detail.

• Th
    T. Heindl Jul 25, 2007

I saw the advertisement on tv and thought this could be a win-win situation. Boy was I wrong. My installers looked nothing like, nor dressed like those guys in the commercials. My biggest complaint is follow-up. I paid an inexorbitant amount of money for convenience, but the materials to me are the same as Lowe's and Home Depot. I could have gotten the job done more efficiently and effective had I gone with the aforementioned. The installers had car trouble, as was relayed to me, I think they had another job, of course the company did not call me, they left it up to the installers. Also, I had to be home from 8 to whenever. The installers did not show up until 10:00, so most of my day was shot. Also, this expensive grout I paid for has not lightened up and I was told it will take 6 - 8 weeks. I was promised grout caulk for all the air bubbles appearing. I'm trying to give Empire here in San Antonio the benefit of the doubt, but when you pay double, even triple for a service, you expect good bedside manners. I do not blame the installers, they are the workerbees. If I don't get satisfaction, I'm considering lodging a complaint with the BBB or AG. This is false advertisement and just not sound business practices.

janet Oct 07, 2007

We just had Empire Today in to do our whole house. We carpeted the upstairs, and put in hard wood floors on our first level. I LOVE the carpet and LOVE the floors. They came in about 1,000.00 less than other carpet stores in our area and did an amazing job, with NO complaints. The workers were courteous, took care of our belongings and did their best in making my husband and I very happy. We recommend them highly and would use them again.

bait and switch and rip off!

In January 2005 I had a carpet installed in my house. The first day, after scheduling and confirming early morning installation they showed up at 5pm. The installation was then rescheduled for following day, they showed up in a timely manner this time but when moving furniture they broke my entertainment center (which I was compensated for). After almost completing the job, my wife walked in and found they were installing the wrong color carpet. So after much debate and 2 salesman (the first one conveniently didn't have that sample in his kit). They Finally arranged to have the correct carpet installed. So about 2 weeks later installation was commencing and all was done except for approx 1.5 along living room wall, when the installer stated he must stop as the rest of the carpet was from a "different dye lot" and would need to order in new carpet again. Approx one week later I took another day off work, the installers showed up opened the back door of the truck, I was called over and he stated they gave him wrong carpet again. So again they reordered the carpet and again I waited. A few days later I was called and told the carpet had arrived and installation was scheduled for a later date and FINALLY a carpet was permanently installed in my house (almost without incident). They damaged my china closet, but I didn't report it as even I would not believe me at that point and at this point quite honestly I wanted nothing more to do with this company.

After approx 3 months I noticed an area of the carpet had risen and was getting frayed in a traffic area by the steps to the only bathroom in the house. I called and reported it and they schedule an "independent inspector"to look at area, this Gentleman stated the area was delaminated by pet urine and no service would be provided. He was using a moisture gauge which showed twice the allowed moisture, I knew pet urine was not an issue so I contested this ruling and another inspector was sent who used the proper tool (a blacklight) to inspect the area, he stated to me clearly that pet urine was not the cause that the seam was installed in a traffic area and that it was installation error. So empire ONCE AGAIN was forced to replace my carpet, however my carpet was no longer available and it cost me an additional $250.00 to upgrade my carpet. But installation was scheduled and AGAIN I moved all my furniture out so the carpet could be replaced again. When the installers left it was noticed they had not stretched , they had had miscut an area on the stairs and just plugged in carpet which came up first vacuuming and did an unacceptable job around the banister. So they scheduled their repair tech "mike" and he stretched the living room but stated the stairs had to be handled by the original installer. He stated that I would be contacted within a week. After a few days I started calling asking when the repair would be completed. Left many voicemails but got no return calls. So after approx 1 month I contacted the credit card company Ge Capitol to file a dispute and stop their payments. The dispute was canceled though because Empire stated that I and never contacted them with a problem, Voicemails were Left with Cynthia as well as Chris at the Cinainson Nj location (the local market as they call it). Phone number 856 or toll free [protected] and never got a return call, so I file a second dispute was filed and again this one just disappeared , I called Chris again last week and was told he would not help as I am "out of warranty"and he was never informed I had a problem, the call was then abruptly ended.

I then called Corporate again and lodged a complaint with e office of the president Ranisha (not sure of spelling) who referred my complaint to Tim Sherman the regional manager, he did return my call Friday 4th and basically called me a liar about my repeated calls and attempt to correct the problem stating that he had no record of my calls. I know between my cell phone and home phone I have called over 20 times (27 to be exact) but he stated if I could prove 1 he would arrange repair, well as of Saturday I have proved 6 and am waiting for phone records from cell phone company and Left District Rep a message at [protected] ext 7813 and no return call has occurred. I did tell mr Sherwin that if he didn't respond quickly I would be contacting channel 6 and was told go ahead I have them handled "did I ever notice that no report has ever been done on us"

It is obvious that this company thinks they are above that which most would call good business practices and they certainly think they are more powerful than channel 6 and since I know better I would love to give you guys a shot at them.

Today I spoke with Tim, he stated that he received my proof of my making phone calls and is still not willing to help me. He stated that I have been paid 60% of cost, this was reimbursed for time lost from work and the entertainment center they broke.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

• Ba
    Barbra Mathewson Aug 13, 2007

Wow I am so glad I found this site and comments, I have canceled the estimate I was scheduled for. They were so nice when I spoke with them on the phone, but should have known it was too good to be true.

Chumley Smithers Sep 19, 2007

I knew they were bad when their commercial showed that dirty old pervert rolling around on the floor with all those children.

• Va
    ValerieZ Mar 07, 2008

I used Empire about 18 months ago to replace carpet after a flood in my house and I had nothing but good luck with them. My carpet still looks as good as the day it was installed. I hope you filed a complaint with the BBB and US Attorney General's office. They will turn it over to the right people. I had a huge problem with Dell computers and still fighting them but it has been turned over to Mass. Attorney Generals office for a class action law suit....

• Li
    Linda Gray Mar 29, 2008

Thanks for your detailed complaint. I was thinking of calling Empire for a house I am buying in the near future. Now, I will NOT bother calling this company after reading about your experience.

windows installed crooked

I called Empire Today because of the TV commercials and the fast service. The company might be great but the contractors they hire... well that's another story. They came out on time and as usual I had pictures on my computer of my windows before the job was done, because one picture speaks a thousand words. My old windows were 3 across in a straight line at the front of my house. Also there were no slate tiles missing on my roof around my old windows in the pictures I took of the job before it was done.

The new windows were installed crooked. Each one in 1 to 2 inches higher than the one next to it. I could not believe my eyes so I took a picture of the 3 new windows. Sure enough they appear to be going up hill. They even put the window trim (capping) on crooked. Everything was done from the inside even though the salesman told me that the windows would be put in from the outside. How can you possibly cap a window from the inside leaning out with your head down. It should have been done from the outside so they could make sure the windows and trim were straight. The explanation the installers gave me made no sense at all because I had pictures of my old windows and they were perfectly straight. It seems to me that if the old windows were straight then the new windows should be straight. Some of the trim between the new windows was cut too short and huge globs of caulk was put in the space.

My contract says that all debris would be cleaned up but I have pictures of wood chips and debris all over the roof on top of my eaves. They had a shop vac but no attempt was made to use it to clean up the debris on the 3 side windows. They did vacuum up the debris on the front roof over top of the porch where the 3 front windows were installed crooked.

When they hammered out my old wood windows in the front everything was thrown out the front window and a lot of wood chips and debris was left right at my front door. For $4049.00 cash I got 3 crooked windows and 5 other okay ones. I would not recommend Empire to anyone as far as windows are concerned.

Empire-Today May 14, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today.  We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and are currently researching this matter. We want to work with you Mr. Raul to get your issues completed to your satisfaction. Unfortunately, we were not able to access your information through our systems being that you did not give enough information. Here is our toll free number 800-588-2300 and ask to speak to our Consumer Affair Specialist between the hours 9am-5:30pm CST Mon- Fri. Have a great day.

[Resolved] fraudulent quote!

On 2/21/07, a sales representative from Empire came to my house to give me a quote. The representative...

billed wrong amount

I too, unfortunately, used this company to have laminate wood floors installed. I'm still not sure they installed the same product they showed as their sample, because the floor is a slightly darker color and doesn't have that 'hardwood' feel to it. However, my complaint about this company is that they quoted me $4100 for a large living room area. When I went to a competitor in town and got a cheaper quote, they agreed to lower their price, (not as low as the competitor's, but closer, as they insist they have superior products). Well, I went through the financing where you don't pay for a year. When I got my first bill from the finance company I saw that Empire submitted the first charge of $4100. I have called them 4 times over several weeks, sent letters, done everything to get the correct 'reduced' charge applied as my financed amount, and they have done absolutely nothing but ignore me. They constantly promise someone will call me back, and they never do. Their Illinois home office says the local office has to correct this, but then they say they cant give out the phone number for the local office- that all communication must go through the home office. Also- word to the wise... check the Better Business Bureau website... you'll be stunned at how many complaints Empire Today, LLC has on file. I wish I would have checked before I did business with them. WARNING... DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE, AT BEST, A SHADY COMPANY.

• Ro
    Ron Roby Mar 19, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have looked into this complaint and unfortunately we were not able to access you though our system. We will be more than happy to discuss your concerns with you. Here is our toll free number that you can use for your concerns..... 800-588-2300 and ask to speak to one of our Resolution Team members of whom will be glad to assist you in any way possible. We look forward to speaking to you very soon. Have a great day.

• De
    deborah saunders Jul 28, 2007

Wow never realized that i was not alone. Empire installed a shower stall in my home only after the salesman LIED to me about what products could be used in the shower. Yes to everything. Of course you don't get the warranty until after the install. After I read the warranty I called and told them what my sales man said. They sent an installer out to check the install. How can you fix a LIE? If i had known that I could not use certain products in my shower i would have retailed the shower myself. A year and a half later, i am still going round and round. They don't return calls, corporate does not respond to anything. The one customer service manager that did come to my home agreed that I had a legitimate gripe and was working toward me not being responsible for the bill. Guess what? He is no longer with the company. Beware and listen. You have been warned!

P.S. this is the extremely short version!!!

• Ke
    Keith Miller Jan 02, 2008

I agree with all the comments here. The sales people are sleazy, but not that smart. When he quoted me an absurd price I simply made up a number that I wanted to pay and tricked him into meeting my halfway. I got lucky; the install was perfect and the price I got then to charge me was decent (not great). Remember, the housing boom is done so the consumer can dictate the price due to the lack of demand for services.

• Ro
    Ron Collins Mar 24, 2008

I checked out the Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.org/) and in my area (92869) Empire has no complaints. I have read about how sleazy the Empire people are, then I read about how sleazy their customers are by tricking the sales person. I have sold copiers for twenty years. I never lie and I am always professional. I know the customers don't care that I have a family to feed. I show them the same courtesy they show me. If I can lower my price to a price to what they can afford, I decide whether they deserve it or not. I have made a six figure income for many years. If the customers are polite to me, I give them the best price available. I have come to realize the pain in the rear customers are more of a pain after they buy from me.

[Resolved] do not do business with these ripoffs!

We contacted Empire for an estimate for some hardwood flooring during their 50% off Christmas sale. The sale...

[Resolved] complete dissatisfaction and unprofessional service

December 9, 2005 I purchased laminate flooring and carpeting for my 2900 square foot home. I paid $3500.00...

[Resolved] bait and switch, terrible service and products quality!

I was interested in replacing all of the carpeting on the second level of my home. I had an Empire salesman...

ruined my house and have been ignoring me for 8 months!

Empire Today installed carpeting in my house and left my house in shambles. I had carpet installed on February 6, 2006 and I have requested that Empire get their carpet out of my house for eight months.

The carpet that was installed had no padding underneath of it, the installers cut all the cable wires in 5 bedrooms of my home, they slashed all the wood baseboards in each bedroom, they ripped wall paper off the walls and they left furniture broken in my home. In addition to all of this in two of the rooms the carpet was not even attached to the floor. They sent out another installer who said it looked like an “abortion.”

After 2 weeks and 4 subcontractors later, my house was still not fixed and the carpet was still horrendous. I have contacted Michelle Ramos and Cynthia Dunlap 8 times to have their product removed from my house. I signed the Notice of Cancellation within 3 business days and they still have not come out and picked up their carpet.

As a matter of fact, they have just sent me a letter telling me that they are going to put a mechanics lien on my house if I do not pay them the money for the carpeting. They are harassing and bullying me when they are the ones who ruined my house and have been ignoring me for 8 months.

Empire-Today Dec 21, 2006

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and are currently researching this matter. Unfortunately we do not have any information regarding your account with empire-Today. We would like to speak with you to apologize and try to bring closure to this matter. Please contact one of our Resolution Specialist at 800-588-2300 one of our representatives will gladly assist you. Have a great day!

Jared McAnally Jun 04, 2007

Waaaahh...

saravanan Sep 17, 2007

mobile phone Rs;14000/- N80 NOKIA

[Resolved] steer clear of empire today!

Empire Today just started doing business in NC, and have started a huge t.v. ad campaign. My wife saw the...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices