Complaints & Reviews

terrible experience

Our order of laminate flooring and stairs was installed on 9/26/08. Immediately we saw a problem that the stair nose was about 1/2' higher than the stair itself - quite dangerous for a busy stairway. After approximately 6 more appointments where we took the day off work only to have installers not show up, show up with the wrong product, show up to repair our 'carpet', or show up and shrug, we were able to FINALLY speak with an Installation Manager, 'Bill', who agreed to replace the stairs with a wood/oak product as they did not have a laminate product for the stairs.

After scheduling several more futile appointments where nothing was done, an installer came with wood products. The stair color/model we ordered looks wonderful and matches the floor. The nose of each stair, is a different model, different color and does not fit.

After scheduling several more futile appointments of people showing up with exactly the same wrong product that they installed on our stairs, 'Bill' the installation manager was supposed to PERSONALLY come out and resolve the problem (he didn't show), he told us he would personally instruct the installer and make sure this was finally resolved. Of course, on yet another Saturday after spending an entire day waiting for the installer - he again showed up with the wrong product. Bill is no where to be found, of course. Christy Caputo, the helpful, perky customer service representative genuinely tries to cover for Bill - but he's hopeless. She promised that Bill would AGAIN call us first thing Monday morning. Still waiting.

The last installed advised us that the manufacturer of the stair color/model we ordered does not make stair noses!!! They've been wasting our time, messing with us for nearly TWO MONTHS - did they think we wouldn't notice!!!

We've received weekly 'customer satisfaction survey' phone calls from Empire, who appear to be concerned with customer service - in reality, there is no manager that will speak with you or resolve your problem or issue. You will deal with nice people at Christy-level who are polite but can do nothing but again take down your information.

Calling the Corporate headquarters and leaving messages for the VP of Customer Relations doesn't appear to do any good.

If you want to take alot of time off work, be extremely frustrated, throw away money, and spend several months doing it - then Empire is THE place for you!

• Tb
    TB1 Feb 26, 2009

I spent almost $8k on laminate floors and had a piece of trim that had been repaired from the original install fail again. Meaning, the trim piece will not stay flush on the floor. I was told that I will have to pay $125 dollars for something that should have been repaired correctly to begin with. Also, the customer service representative noted in their comments that Empire had been to my residence multiple times which is not true. With that said, I feel like I have been mislead on what falls under a warranty and will not consider Empire for future projects.

One other note in regards to this. Don't let them fool you with their warranties. Make sure you get the details because they will not hesitate to charge you outrageous labor fees for work that should have been taken care of under warranty or previous repairs. Very misleading and does not consider repeat customers to be important in my opinion.

MaxinePyd Jul 13, 2011

I have scheduled appointments with Empire Carpets that are then canceled on the day of, the excuse being that there is no representative in the area.
    "Why make the appointment in the first place?" I asked them?
    "Because we never know whether there will be reps in the area until the morning of the appointment."
    "Meantime I have taken half a day off work. Is this really how you do business?"
    "I'm sorry, but there are no reps in the area, we will have to reschedule."

And so on with the broken record technique. No attempt was made to send a representative and they defended their lack of integrity like it was perfectly normal business practice.

I don't know how a business that doesn't honor its appointments or respect its customers is able to still be in business. It is disgusting behavior.

If anyone can shed light on this matter I would be immensely grateful.

• Bu
    Business Response. Jul 20, 2011

Maxine, we’ve read your postings from last year and apologize for your experience as this type of miscommunication shouldn’t have happened. I understand that you spoke with our Marketing and Communications Team last year and that the situation was brought to our attention in customer service. As our National Customer Service Manager, I’d be happy to address any further questions or concerns you may have. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at 888-588-2315 x4195. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

[Resolved] awful everything

I used Empire to install 6 blinds in my small one bedroom apartment. It seemed like a very easy job but it has taken more than 2 months and 6 different visits for them to install the blinds and they STILL aren't finished!!! The first installer that they sent to my house damaged my kitchen window when he tried to force a blind that was too big for the window in. He then asked if I had left over paint so he could cover up the damage. He incorrectly installed the blinds in my bedroom and told me that it was the only way for them to work (which was untrue). In the living room you could see that the valance on the top of the blinds did not match up and there was a one inch space between the spot where they should have met. I called Empire and they sent someone to come and look at the job. He agreed that the job was poorly done and told me that Empire had fired the installer that they sent to me in the past but brought him back because they needed more help. The second installer also told me that he constantly had to fix the other installers jobs.

The second installer seemed very knowledgeable and tried to fix the mess that the first one created. Problem is, he isn't finished with the job yet. He measured the windows and came back 3 times because every time the blinds weren't cut correctly. He also ripped the paint off my bedroom walls when removing the blinds to install them correctly, so now I have 4 large holes and white paint spots where the blinds used to be.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use Empire. They lie when they say they have great customer service and knowledgeable installers. They will send you someone who has no clue what they are doing and tell you that they are great. Don't believe there lies!!! I spent more than $1, 300 on blinds and they act like they are doing me a favor by installing them correctly.

• Updated by Company Response · Apr 16, 2009

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at [email protected] so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

Sincerely,
    Consumer Advocate Team
    Empire Today, LLC

• We
    Wendy Mar 17, 2009

I had laminate flooring installed a year ago and it has been a series of problems ever since. The floor keeps separating in different places. The company never told us about this stupid looking molding that was installed around our baseboards. The transitional pieces from the flooring to the carpet keeps breaking because there's no support under it. The transitional pieces have been replaced 2 times already because they are crooked or the seams are so off you can trip over them. The customer service is the WORST I've ever dealt with. You sit on hold forever. They transfer you from person to person, then you get disconnected. They don't return any phone calls, but yet mark in your account that they have. The want me to pay $75 for a transitional piece that they have had to replace 2 times now. I will NEVER use ET again and would NEVER, NEVER recommend them to anyone. They are awful.

• Ka
    Kat211 Aug 12, 2009

Beware of Empire Today! They will rip you off!

• Bi
    Bill Crane Mar 02, 2017

I had two appointments confirmed with Empire the past week. They never called to say they weren't coming and both times I had to call back. Talk to customer service and given excuses of the first salesman never got the message and the second one was the Lady's day off!!
    I asked customer service rep what in the world would she feel like? She said, yes it's bad, but my supervisor can't talk to you right now because he is in training. I mean, training for what? he never called. It's just pathetic. I took day off to be home when they were supposed to be at my house.

I would NEVER use these people.

installation

I've use Empire before in Chicago and they were fabulous so I expect the same service in Kentucky, unfortunately this was a joke.
No one ever confirmed my suggested appointment and just showed up at my door ready for the sales pitch. I was able to pick quickly and the deal was sealed with incentives of (can we start this weekend, its a 3 day project, blah blah blah). They did start that weekend but now the project is going on its 3 weekend straight.
I have damage to my home, tile is cracked and was installed, air pockets in the grout, my carpet is ruined, and the hoses to the washing machine were broken causing mess in my laundry room.

I will NEVER refer them again! DO NOT USE THEM...THEY ARE HORRIBLE!

they lied to me

I wish I knew about this website before I dealt with Empire in August 2008. There were issues from the beginning. First, they sent out a salesman who gave us an estimate. There was a question about the estimate, so they sent out another guy to double check it. The second guy didn't even measure, he just gave us a price undercutting the first guy. We contacted the company to notify the manager about the unprofessional conduct that was going and they apologized. We decided to go with the first guy simply because we liked him. He seemed so honest and genuine and when he came several times to do paperwork with us he stayed for a couple hours after and hung out. I wish we had known what we were in for, but we were enticed by the offer of credit, the warranty, and the convenience. They assured us that we were buying a superior product and that was why it was more expensive. As a young, first time homeowner I didn't realize I was getting ripped off. The floor was installed and looked great for a few months. Then we started noticing areas that looked like they were buckling at the joints and other areas where the picture was coming off of the edges of the tiles. As the problem worsened we got concerned and called to let them know what was going on so we could have the issues corrected. They sent out an inspector who came at the wrong time and could barely speak english. He kept saying that my refrigerator, which is only a few years old, must be leaking. The floor in the living room, kitchen, and hallway are messed up, how could the refrigerator do that! I received a call from a customer service rep a few days later to let me know the problem would not be covered by my warranty because it was water damage. Since I knew there was no way that it was water damage, I am very careful not to let the floor get wet, they agreed to send out an "independent" inspector to reassess the situation. He confirmed that we did not have water damage and that the floor was properly taken care of. Using this report the regional customer service manager in the Philadelphia Market told me that I must have caused the damage from high traffic in my home, which is ridiculous since there are only two adults and four miniature dogs. He said they would cut me a deal. He offered to "only" charge me $2100 in addition to the $5975 line of credit we had already taken out with GE through Empire and they would put the same product down again. I told him no way was I paying more money for a floor that didn't last a year. He said he was sorry that I was disappointed but that was all they could do for me. I am still trying to resolve this huge issue! It has been and continues to be a nightmare!

• Je
    Jerry Gardner Oct 29, 2008

Sounds like you were sold an inferior grade product at an inflated price. You should have done some
    homework, learned about the product you were interested in and the various price points and
    product quality. Not all laminates are equal. You also need to understand the manufacturer's
    warranty terms. Manufacturer's only warranty the surface finish against wearing through for
    a certain time period, usually 5, 10, 20, 25 or 30 years. Secondly they only warranty against
    defective product PRIOR to installation.
    Before signing any contract be sure to obtain and READ the mfgr's warranty and installlers
    warranty. Do not accept verbal assurances as to product quality or warrantys.
    And don't be fooled by the "you have to sign now to get the sale price" claim, any reputsable
    company will hold the price rather than lose the sale.

• Li
    LizM2154 Nov 03, 2008

I am glad to have found this site. I just set up an online appointment with this company for 2 rooms and now I am going to cancel it. I don't want to deal with a company like this, and don't have time for 'games'.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm sorry you got ripped off. I hope they rectify the situation for you. You would think reputation and repeat business would mean something... especially in this ecomony.

• Pr
    Priscilla Nov 15, 2008

I thnak you for sharing a most painful experience and yes, I will look elsewhere for my blinds.

cashed check for cancelled service

I will tell you that this is by far the WORST company ever to do business with. I'm going to keep this short and simple. They send out their most friendliest representatives that woo you into thinking that they are giving you the best deal ever on their cheap ### carpet. We thought he was giving us a super deal...called his manager and so on to ask if they could make this one exception to give us their CHEAP ### carpet for the special low price of $750. ###! My husband went on the internet the day after we signed the check over to them thinking we were getting a 60% off deal and found that no one is satisfied with Empire Today so, we cancelled the carpet installation. That oh so friendly representative tells us that he is writing CANCELLED on the check right at the moment we were talking to him. We called the company to cancel the order as well. They said, NO PROBLEM. 2 weeks later to no surprise...they cashed the check ANYWAY. Now my account is negative waiting for their so-called refund check in the mail that will take 10 business days to arrive. DON'T EVER DO BUSINESS WITH EMPIRE TODAY. They will cheat you out of your money. We read the reviews and found that they are absolutely true. If you need carpet installation go straight to Home Depot or Lowes. They have a way better quality selection and their whole house installation is only $199. They don't hassle you...they don't send out LIARS because they have a name to up hold. I have no idea how Empire Today is still in business. PLEASE don't waste your time or your money with those crooks!!!

[Resolved] fraud and scam

Bought high priced carpet, not even four months later our carpet is JUNK! Supposed to warranty it, but two months after my initial call, we still have no new carpet. This is a *** company, managers are a joke, and I was actually told by the manager that I purchased UGLY carpet! Please do not buy their carpet. I've been placed on hold to eventually be hung up on, or have been hung up on while hearing laughter in the background. I just got off of another call from the guy who was supposed to show up tonight, and BIG surprise!!! NO ONE IS SHOWING UP!!! We have friends who have spent WAY less from local carpet retailers, and have SUPERIOR carpet compared to Empire's CRAP!!!

• Empire Today's response · Nov 04, 2019

Valerie, we take your concerns seriously, and would like to follow up with you to start working on a resolution. Unfortunately, we're unable to locate your account with the information provided. Please email [email protected], with your order information. We look forward to hearing from you.

jon lane Nov 04, 2019

I am in the business and the company Empire Carpets gives legitimate folks a bad name...Anyone who "tricks" the public into thinking they can carpet a room for $50.00 is a fake and a crook. If you advertise 80% off "special" your also a fake and a crook. Empire Carpet stop embarrassing yourself!

[Resolved] terrible experience

Today was the second time that I had a scheduled appointment with Empire Today AND the second time that I was stood up without so much as a courtesy call. We're building a home so we are in need of flooring for the entire house. This would have been a huge sale for Empire Today. I'm pleased to say that it WILL NOT be a sale for them and that their competitor will reap the benefits of Empire's lack of courtesy and poor, poor customer service.

When I made the appointment I told the agent that this was new construction and therefore my home phone number is not at the location. I gave them two cell-phone numbers to use instead. I also asked that the salesman call us on one of the cell #'s 30 minutes prior to arriving.

I called Empire Today as instructed at the beginning of the two-hour time frame on the day of the appointment to determine when the salesman would arrive. I then drove out to our building site to meet him. Approximately 1/2 way into the appointment time, he called my home (again NOT where we needed him to call) and told my daughter that he was on his way. 45 minutes later he hadn't arrived so I called him on his cell (got the number from my daughter on our home's caller ID). The salesman had the gall to tell me that he needed better directions so he turned around and went home. He then asked when a better time to reschedule would be. Since this was a second chance for this so-called business, I informed him that there wasn't a better time and hung up.

When I called the 800# for Empire Today to tell them what happened. I was told that they would make the report and that we would hear from the sales manager within 3 business days. Yeah, right! NOT!!! I want nothing to do with a company that stands up their customers without so much as a call.

I beg you not to let them waste your time as they obviously make a habit of wasting peoples time.

• Empire Today's response · Oct 09, 2012

We’re disappointed to know of the problems that occurred with your friend’s installation. We can assure you that we are committed to providing our customers with world-class service and working with them until they are satisfied. We would very much like to speak to you and your friend about any concerns that you may have. Please contact us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or [email protected] Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Le
    let'sbereasonable Mar 28, 2009

Consider yourself very lucky they never came out. They are some of the largest scammers out there.

• Jd
    J. DeAngelo Oct 01, 2012

I had carpet installed in 4 rooms. I had a good experience with my installation...
    Now comes the complaint, I made the terrible mistake of refering EMPIRE to a friend.
    My friend wanted wood flooring installed in two rooms. When the installers came to do the installation they never called prior to notify that they were on their way. They attempted to do a quick switch of the flooring that was agreed apon at the time of sale with a cheap brand. Lucky my friend was there to call them on their SCAM and put a stop to all work. When he tried to explain the situation the next day to the customer service person he received nothing but excuses and out and out lies. He demanded his money be returned immediatly and has no intention of being SCAMMED by EMPIRE . Also dont let your sales person tell you that their installers are exclusive to Empire because they are not. They hire any "JOHNNY COME LATELY" that they can get to do their work. Had I known this, I would not have them working in my home, and will not do any future buisness with them. Disappointed and feeling deceived. I wonder if I really got what I paid for. Guess its to late for me. Dont get ripped off by EMPIRE.

[Resolved] terrible experience

I 'm headed to court. After reading all these complaints I found to be true. My alarm wiring was damaged...

damage to floor

5 years after they installed a carpet I removed it and found a row of deep gouge marks in the oak floor, obviously from the installation as these were newly finished floors before the carpet installation and the marks are all in a row and from the installation. There is no way I could check this when they installed it as I wasnt here. When I called to complain they said there was nothing they could do about it, now I see why, they are a fraudulent company - do not do business with these scammers.

Sam O'neill Aug 23, 2009

Empire is being sued for a hit and run worker who is illegal. Owner non cooperative with police. For both these reasons do not use them and the tax dept shold get on them for hiring undocumented wokrers.

• Ix
    IXpectTheBest Jan 10, 2015

Empire Today LLC, Milwaukee Complaints & Reviews - Sold us Contaminated Carpet/Pad thatvis Destroying our Home & Health
    Empire Today LLC Contacts & Informations
    Empire Today LLC
    Posted: 2015-01-02 by IXpectTheBest
    Sold us Contaminated Carpet/Pad thatvis Destroying our Home & Health
    Complaint Rating: 0 % with 0 votes
    Empire Today LLC
    May 2014 we purchased & had installed carpet in our new reckroom. Got a 50/50/50 sale for Memorial Day. The salesman came showed us samples. Said we were getting free pad upgrade with our 25 year warranty carpet that is waterproof and stain resistant. We were excited!! ( Until we Weren't) The installers were to arrive the next morning & didn't show. I called Empire and the installers were being rescheduled.( Not very Professional!) When they did come, the men went about their install. I tried asking a couple questions but quickly found out that this crew speaks little to no English. To their credit?, the job was done quickly and they vaccumed upon completion. BUT, The installers left a pile of carpet & padding in our basement & the only one that spoke just Broken English said they'd be back. We asked about the smell and he said it was fumes from the carpet and it would go away in a couple days. By June, I called about the garbage left behind & the smell. I was told someone would call back. NOTHING! By July & August, the smell is getting worse. I called and was told that we need to hire a professional carpet cleaner to clean odor. $129 and Still it stinks! I realize that the smell was coming from the ENTIRE perimeter having what appears to be male cat spray which is drawing my cats to the spots. Believing my carpet was waterproof & stain resistant, and because its not recommended, we did not have the ckeaners saturate the carpet. We have spent Months on Carpet cleaning, enzymes to destroy, even had other carpet installers pull up areas, for Viewing ONLY!) To find entire perimeter as well as Enclosed Closet ALL have Urine/Spray & also that they used Cheap wood tack strips as well. I have spoken with numerous people at Empire Today who have either said someone would return our call or finally, that we can PAY THEM $400.00 for Labor to have this Toxic Carpet removed and replaced. ( We aren't sure seeing as we were told carpet was waterproof). I argued that why only remove carpet when the pad may have been the issue & that BOTH need to be removed Immediately from my home. Helen at Empire became the contact person after vickey. She has held our home hostage by lying. First insisting on the $400.00 labor fee, then saying I need to sign an agreement form. The form turned out to be a Full and Final agreement stating all releases to from everything and everybody including that I can't post reviews, comments etc. I called Helen and disputed the Hold HARMLESS CONTRACT after filing my complaint. It is now January 2015 and they have not removed them Stinky carpet & pad from my home. We have not been able to finish our "New" Reckroom, our drywall has been damaged, I have spent close to $600 on carpet cleaning and enzymes and countless hours of my life cleaning, waiting for cleaning, on the phone with them talking, arguing, have had LUNA Carpet come to give quotes, all the time spent writing back and forth and have even had 2 hospital visits because of illness that flared up due to Empires Poor quality Products & Service. I requested they remove these products, pay for the costs incured, and at one point, I was going to trust them to replace. They have offered NOTHING but the Cost we paid minus the deposit. This business sells you a product using salesmen full of lies, in hopes that you'll be so excited by the price that you won't notice the lack of quality, the fact you've been lied to, that you actually have overpaid and that once they have installed your flooring, that Empires Warranty and Customer Service is pretty much Absent! Almost 8 months and I am still being held hostage by Helen at Empire! I have NEVER, in my Life, done business with such a Shady Company! And the Fact that they have SO Many BBB listings and are ALL the Same company Nationwide... Over 1100 complaints on just one Listings in Northern IL.; and they have an A? Really? You'd be better off doing it yourself from a Big Box store, at least their would be a Real human that Cares and is Local instead of trying to find a Lawyer from Whatever State You're in that is Licensed to Practice in Illinois. Good Luck! This is how Empire gets away with ALL of this! You think they're local and they Don't even have their own crews! Everybody is Subbed out so you don't even know what type if person will show up at your home. Had I known this I would NEVER had Allowed Empire Today into my home for ANY reason! I want this Crap out of my home and I want my money back!! BUYER BEWARE!! This Company not only Bait & Switches, they Lie, Scam & they dont care because NOBODY can stop them. They deserve an F on their rating!!

fraud

This was not the first time I purchased carpet for my offiice so I knew exactly what I needed was high wear carpet with a very thin dense padding so the wheels of my equipment could work. The salesman assured me that that would be possible. That was a lie and he knew it. The company only offers one type of padding. After the installation by totally non-English speaking workers, I found they installed a big, fluffy padding. When I called to have the padding switched they said they could if I purchased an entire roll of padding since they do not carry it and pay for a reinstallation. I have also found that their prices are grossly inflated and one would be a fool to not negotiate with them. I think one would be a fool to deal with them at all.

• Te
    teri jones Nov 23, 2008

I purchased flooring from Empire Carpet on a deferred could payall or part during the "free" year, but if I did not pay all in that time I would be charged interest. No problem. When I asked what the payment would be, I was told the full amount was due at the end of the promotional period. I said I would not have that much. I was told that was okay, I could make payments. I thought that all was well and good, until I recieved the first bill after the promotional period. It said that I was in an over limit status. When I called they said that when the accurred interest was added on it put me over limit. I told the person that this was never mentioned to me. I said I was told I could make payments. The person yes that was correct but until I paid the $1, 800.00 in interest I would be charged a $39.00 over limit fee. I checked my contract. No where in my contract did it say that if the interest, at the very least was not paid in the promotional period the account would be in over limit status at the end of the promotional [period. This is fraud and flase advertising in my eyes. I tell everyone I can if you considering doing buisness with a company that uses GEMoney Bank do not do it. GO some where else for the product or service.

• Te
    teri jones Nov 23, 2008

I made a mistake in my complaint. It should have read that I was told that I could to pay all or part during the free year and I was NOT told that if I did not pay the all interest during the promotional period it would put me in an over limit fee and I would be charged a fee of $39.00 until the $1, 800.00 in interest was paid.

Sam O'neill Aug 23, 2009

Empire is being sued right now for a hit and run accident by an illegal worker. DO NOT USE THEM FOR BOTH REASONS. The owner is not cooperating with police on the matter.

• Bi
    bill wight Jul 25, 2011

i also called empire and was also told that it was the last day of the sale. after i got a quote from them i told them another company quoted me more the 3000 dollars less, he called his boss. he said then he could do it now for 100 dollars less. why ? the carpet is crap !!! all the seams are showing and now when i vaccum it tears up the carpet plus i have carpet balls that look like cat balls every day and need to vaccume it every day. my brother also called them and has the same complaints. when i called them about the runs in the carper LESS THEN 6 MONTHS LATER ) THEY SAID THE WARRENTY WAS OVER!! and i needed to buy different carpet because my carpet was no longer in stock BE AWARE DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!

[Resolved] awful experience

I set up an appointment on-line through their website for an in-home quote. I had the ability to set up the time and day that I wanted them to come out to the house. It stated this is not your appointment time until you have been contacted to confirm. Soon after I received confirmation for the date and time via e-mail. It is like most service companies, a 2-4 hour threshold. I took of work to be home the time that they said they would be there and they never showed up. I never received a phone call or a follow up email as to why they did not show.

• Rg
    RGupta Apr 16, 2012

I ordered custom carpets with Empire. Even though they measured almost 70 Square feet more than other quotes, I decided to go with them. Since carpet was custom, they told me it will take sometime and promised to get this installed in two weeks. They started contacting me via phone and email to confirm the installation and also instructing me as to how to prepare home for carpet installation. We worked the entire weekend to prepare for the carpet installation. We packed everything and also lined up handyman to install new base board side-by-side the carpet installation. I had to take full day off from work as well to get the carpet installed.

The very morning they were supposed to come for the installation, I get a call from them that the carpet material has not arrived and it will take another week or two to get the material. We just couldn't believe our luck having to go through this ordeal. This not only costed us lot of effort of packing/unpacking over days, time off from work and several hundred dollars of handyman's time. They still couldn't give us a date. The only thing left was to cancel the order and asked for refund of advanced payment.

I don't know if they are liable to pay for all the lost time/effort, wages and contractor charges.

• Et
    ET Customer Support Apr 17, 2012

Rakesh, we’re disappointed to hear of any inconvenience that occurred due to the delay in your installation. We know that your time is valuable and we understand your frustration. We’d like to make things right for you, and we will be contacting your soon to discuss the situation and work towards a resolution. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected] or call us at 888-588-2315 x4195. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

false advertising

Carpet and window treatments are both heavily advertised as NEXT DAY INSTALLATION. After ordering - you quickly find out the next day is for RE-MEASURING (after your salesperson does the initial measurement). After calling the service department - the representative confided that she has NEVER actually seen a next day installation. After waiting a week and never even seeing the measurment person - we cancelled the order.

• Ha
    happybee0204 Mar 14, 2009

So true!!! We got the same run around!! We should hire a lawyer and do a class action suit for false adverstising! Worst company I have ever dealt with!

advertising

I called made appointment, upon arrival, selected my choice of carpet, no price woould be given out, nor the pad, and I asked for the sale carpeting and was told only one carpet was on sale. TV was advertising 60% off. No mention of pad...had to pull teeth to get that...Estimate is given and the price is double that of which I had already received from two other competitors. I had the other estimates with me and the salesperson requested them, called into his office...MIRACLE they would meet the price coming down almost $4000. (the salesperson didn't believe me when I showed him my estimates, he was on the phoned without asking if I would change my mind, no I wouldn't) I was furious...first false advertising, that carpet was 60% off, second he would only tell me the price of each carpet when I picked it out and he worked up the measurement. They would meet the price...HOWEVER: who wants to work with a company that doesn't advertise and represent their company correctly, won't talk about padding and then you get a ton of pressure to change your mind when you ask the person to leave. I said No, it doesn't matter if you meet the price or not, how can their possibly be so much as double the price in difference, when the capreting from the competitors was of better quality. I asked him to leave...he was not happy and then waited for me outside---it was a rental and knew I had to leave. I feel this company is a SCAM. Upon leaving, he said the Company will call you to see if you're happy and I said...I'm requersting THEY DO NOT CALL. They did call and told me I'm the first unahppy customer...PLEASE! If you chose to get an estimate from this company BEWARE!!!

• Do
    Donna Lusby Nov 12, 2008

We had a saleperson come out last night to give us an estimate. He would not tell us the price of the carpet or the pad. Said it was a package deal. He measured everything and then gave us a price. Said the price was only good right now. We had already gotten an estimate from Home Depot. The price Empire gave us was $1000 more. The carpet was of inferior quality to the one we had estimated at Home Depot. Now the pad, they only offer 1 and it is very thin and the quality is very poor. It was also very very difficult to get the Salesperson to show us the pad. Once we told him we had a budget and the price didn't come close he asked what our budget was and miraculously if we signed that minute he could match the price. I advised we were not interested and he got very upset. Wanted to know what it was that he was doing wrong. Said it isn't Empire that gives the free estimates it was him and he just wasted his time. I think he was expecting us at that point to pay him something. He continued to hang around like he was some long lost friend until he finally got the hint we weren't budging. This was a very bad experience and I would not recommend this company to anyone. The Salesperson also kept saying how he isn't paid enough and how many hours he works. He kept going on and on about how bad his boss was and then presented us a "free gift".
    The "free gift" was a bobble head doll of the owner. What kind of company is this?

i'm upset on how they do business

On July 6, 2008, I contracted Empire Today to install a bathtub liner as well as a door in our bathroom. On July 12, 2008, two installers came by at our house to do the work. However, because of the rain, they asked us to push back the installation on the following day. They came back the following morning and after spending almost two hours in the bathroom, one of the installer indicated that the bathtub liner could not fit. He also mentioned that he broke the water pipe so we cannot use it until it is fixed. I checked the bathtub liner and its size was the same as the existing bathtub. I am not a carpenter, installer or whatsoever, but I am surprised it took him a while to figure that the bathtub liner will not fit! Anyways, the damage has been done so I have no choice but to calm down and convince myself that everything will be fine.

We asked them to come back on July 19 to fix the water pipe and then the installation of the bathtub liner. We waited the whole day and nobody showed up! We have cancelled our plans for this appointment and nothing happened!

We called the customer service and we were told that a plumber would come at our house on July 26. Thank God, a plumber appeared our door on that day. He opened the faucet to check the leak and the water started to drip at our ceiling. It damaged the electrical wirings at our dining area. Things are getting worst!

To fix the water pipe, he got rid of a portion of the ceiling to replace the broken pipe. He fixed the water pipe but he broke two things: (1) ceiling and (2) electrical wirings.

We called the customer service to file a complaint about this incident. Per customer service representative, the bathtub liner is out of stock and we need to wait for a couple of days. She cordially offered to schedule an appointment to fix the ceiling but we declined. We want to make sure that they install the bathtub liner first before fixing the ceiling to avoid duplication of this incident.

Days, weeks and then a month have passed but we never heard from Empire Today! This is a nightmare!

On September 3, 2008, we called the customer service to make a follow up. Thank God, the bathtub liner is now available. An appointment was made on September 10, 2008 between 9:00-10:00 am EST. It is now 11 am and I am still waiting for the installer. I took a day off from the office just for this appointment. I hope he will show up anytime soon!

• Ia
    ian Sep 17, 2008

Don't do it. Get someone else to come out and re-do your bathroom. I am in the same boat with plently of problems and no solutions from these people.

failure to process order

Meet with a salesman to install ceramic tile in all three of our bathrooms. He assured us that the product was immediately available and we could expect installation with in two days. when we called on the expected day of installation we were told that we were not in the system- our appointment with the salesman was confirmed, however. We were also told that their Baltimore office was not responding (it was a Sat.- but we were told they work on Sat.). since we were within our 72 hour cancellation, we canceled. It is very disheartening to listen to all the advertising only to discover that customer service is not what it is says. Now we have to go to Abbey Carpet to see if they can accommodate us.

• Ro
    rowdy8888 Aug 11, 2009

Yes, Abbey Carpet is a good choice... The local retailers aer ready for your business!

never showed up, never called, never again

They promised next day delivery. My wife and I took off from work to get the room ready for new carpet. Moved the furniture, un-hooked the surround sound stereo, got a friend to help move the TV and other heavy furniture ... and waited, and waited, and waited. At 4 PM we called them and were told "How about tomorrow?". When we told them that was not acceptable they told us the carpet was a special order and it would take 2 weeks. We canceled. The price was not really that great ... We shopped around and saved over $200 for the exact same carpet at Home Depot.

antiempire Feb 15, 2011

The same thing happened to me. I scheduled an appointment for an estimate and they showed up or called. And, when I call the office
    to tell them no one showed up they did not seem to care, they told me to reschedule and of course I didn't.

worst company ever

We ordered laminate flooring for two apartments. They said they could do the kitchen, bathroom and living room. They said it would be no problem to have the toilets removed and put back in that they did it all the time. The day of the delivery, they called to say they couldn't come. We had already removed furniture. We told them that was unacceptable and they must honor the agreement. They showed up late. No one spoke english and they did a lousy job. They had to be asked multiple times to put the toilets back and did so in minutes. The trim was poorly cut - big gaps and the padding was poorly installed so that some of the floor boards are uneven and you can feel the ridge. Then the real problems started. The bathrooms flooded. I have had multiple conversations with the company. They promised to send someone out yesterday - we had to shut off the water in the building. After several phone calls trying to find out where they were, I was told - sorry - no one is available! I am currently waiting for a plumber and plan to sue. They are the worst company I have ever dealt with. The sales rep is not to be trusted. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU HAVE A GOOD LAWYER!!!

rip off alert

I too was impressed with the advertisements for Empire carpet and flooring. I finally decided to give it a try and called them for the free in home estimate. I have to say that the sales man was prompt and courteous. He did measure all my rooms and spend a good amount of time showing me samples of carpet in his mid range. I personally didn't think the carpet felt all that great compared to the carpet I already have, but he assured me that would be different after it was down with the padding. I liked their financing package and agreed to the sale. I specifically asked him how their prices compared to Home Depot and other companies. He told me that they were the same except that Home depot would charge me to move all my furniture and extras for steps moldings etc...

Well, after reading the reviews online I decided to cancel the order and think things over a bit more. I called Smart Carpet and Flooring for another in home estimate. I spent over 3 hours with the salesmen and in the end I was able to not only save over $1000, but included in that price was my Master bedroom which I had to exclude previously due to cost. I am going to receive a carpet with a longer warranty as well.

I guess the moral is. Do your research, haggle a lot, and speak Spanish. Oh yeah, two days after canceling the job I received a call at 7 am from a Spanish speaking installer telling me he was going to be there in 40 minutes. I told him not to come and that I cancelled. He said ok so I hung up. Then he called again and I told him the same. When I hung up I called cust. service. She told me that my cancellation had not been completed. Then she told me that they would take 800 off the price if I still would consider using them. Too late honey! So that’s the long and the short of it.

• 66
    .6676 Jun 04, 2009

empire sucks dick

• Pe
    peewee Jun 11, 2009

I bought Laminate flooring for my small kitchen and it cost me $1500.00 and now I know i could have gotten it for $900.00 and I have had this floor for9 months and I still can't keep it clean, and when I do clean it(every day)it stills looks bad.Don't ever buy from them.

bad service

I used to work for this company, but i'm tired I don't care any more, like they don't care about us, the general manager, daniel silva, hass been acused of sexual arrestment, corruption, racism against latin people, humiliation against to employes and many many more his partners, mike perry installation manager, and gina lampone office manager, we call (the sub contractors) the main office to let then know the situation here in orlando, we spoke with ally ferreira national installation manager, joe carwrite fraud investigation manager, nate shoe florida manager, but guess what they just make us looks as bad person they told then (they managers in orlando) that we called then to talk about what they where doing in orlando, of course the manager daniel silva said, "i will take care about each of then" and he did. At this time he didn't give any job in tha last two weeks.

So you as a customer better think twice before hire this company, because if they don't about us, and they make money thanks to uor hard job, do you really think they will take care about you after they take your money???

Satizzzfied Nov 11, 2009

Go back to that foreign country that you came from and see how well you do there... bet you wish you had stayed in the USA!!!

canceled scheduled time of service

Without going into a long-winded story about Empire Today, I will give the basic rundown. I scheduled a time during the day for a technician to measure windows and give an estimate for plantation shutters. At ten minutes before the end of the 2-hour window appointment time that I was given, I was called to say that the company had to cancel and re-schedule my appointment time.

I told them that if I ran a business that way, I would soon be out of business. Needless to say, I did not reschedule another time, and will go with a different company from which to purchase and install the shutters.

I encourage any reader to consider doing the same, and to beware of Empire Today.

james Sep 12, 2008

try getting a life, your not the only customer of the day, others like you waste salesmens time, and keep them in the house too long when you really have no desire to purchase.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices