Having problems with Empire Today?

Empire Today reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 8, 2006. The latest review Request a refund of deposit paid. was posted on Oct 21, 2021. The latest complaint Flooring was resolved on Sep 19, 2021. Empire Today has an average consumer rating of 4 stars from 634 reviews. Empire Today has resolved 519 complaints.

Empire Today Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 588 2300 (Customer Service)
333 Northwest Avenue
Melrose Park, Illinois

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Empire Today Customer Service. Initial Empire Today complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Empire Today above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Empire Today. Discuss the issues you have had with Empire Today and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Empire Today Complaints & Reviews, Page 23

Empire Todayregarding empire product warranty.. must read

Empire Today buys their product at a bulk discount from different manufactures. All the packaging is repackaged for them using Empires name on the boxes. The reason for this is Empire gets a better price and in doing this, the manufactures is relieved of any liability and warranty claims for said product. So in essence, you get a product that is made by quickstep but not warranted by them. They use the name brands to sell you the product but Empire is solely responsible to the warranty of the product. Thus why they dodge all warranty claims... They loose money because they have to pay out of their pocket and they don't want that... They never loose!! They use a lot of times second grade product or returns. They resell the garbage to other unsuspecting customers. If you are not on the ball, they will take advantage of you... Word to the wise, always keep a sample of the flooring you are having installed to compare to the product actually being installed. Ask the installer right in front of you to remeasure the floor so you aren't overcharged in sf as they do regularly.. Keep in mind, if they can't blame the installer and charge him back to pay the customer, they will do everything to blame the customer.. Just ask anyone, if they ever received anything for free or a refund from Empire.. If its a scratch issue and within a year, they will pay or fix because they will take it from the installer as the installer signs that he warranties the job for 12 months. After that, forget trying... It's always the installers fault or then the customers fault. NEVER will it be Empire...so many stories.. I can go on and on...
Installer

• Empire Today's response · Nov 11, 2011

We’ve read your post and would like to address your concerns. As a company, we’re committed to good and ethical business practices. As well, we’re dedicated to providing our customers with world-class service and only quality, name-brand products from leading manufacturers. If you’d be willing to speak with us, please send your contact information to [email protected] or call us at [protected] x4195 and we’ll reach out to you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Respond

Empire Todaywon't honor warranty

I purchased laminate flooring from Empire Today less than 5 years ago and was told that the floor carried a 25 year warranty. We paid a good bit for the flooring because we had more than half of our first floor done. Recently I noticed the floor was buckling and warping. I called Empire and this was the start of my nightmare! After my initial call it took over a week for anyone to call me back. I had left no less then 9 messages and also left my cell number for someone to call. When I finally spoke to someone, "Chris" he told me that someone would be out to inspect my floor on the following Monday. The appointment was set for 2pm. I left work early that day to be sure that I would be there. By 4pm no one had showed up. I again called the customer service number and after several transfers I was told that someone would be theree within the half hour. Finally at 5:30 someone showed up. The person that came was an installer and looked at the floor for less than 5 minutes and left. Anothere week passed and I again left several messages all to no avail. About a week and half later Chris left a message on my home phone, even though I had requested that all calls be made to my cell phone and had given that number several times. Chris said that anothere staff person would be calling me to handle my floor issue and left his name and number. Anothere few days goes by and still no call from "Dan", the new person I was to speak with. So again I began to call and again left no less than 7 messages! After more than 6 weeks of getting a run around I finally decided to file a BBB complaint. When I tried to file the complaint I was directed to Empire's Resolution Experts. I was asked to speak with them before I filed a report. I spoke with a very nice and apologetic women from the corporate office and was told that I would get a call within 24 hours. Within 2 hours Dan finally called me! We set up a date for him to come and inspect the floor. Dan did in fact show up on time and was very nice. He took a great deal of time looking at the floor and taking pictures and such. We discussed the damage and possible causes. Prior to Dan leaving I again stressed that I was to be to be contacted on my cell phone and gave the number again. A week later I received a message on my home phone from Dan saying that the damage was basically my fault and that I would have to pay for the repairs! I was told that I had allowed some form of moisture to lay on the floor for more than 30 minutes which caused the damage and thereefore terminated the warranty! This is all impossible since someone is always home and the area that is damaged is in a main walk way with no throw rugs or any othere items to hide any moisture. Had anything been spilled theree it would have been cleaned up immediately because someone would have walked through it! I argued this point with Dan but to no avail. I demanded to speak to someone in "corporate" and to have someone from that office come to my house to inspect the floor. Looking at the damage theree is no doubt that it has been caused by moisture, but considering the area that is damaged there boards themselves must be defective because no form of liquid has ever just pooled on the floor for any length of time to cause the sort of damage that is theree. We are hard working people and take care of the things that we have. We don't expect Empire to give us anything othere than to stand behind the warranty. I don't expect an entirely new floor but I do expect that the boards that are damaged be replaced. I am so disappointed that it has taken more than 7 weeks to try and resolve this matter only to be accused of destroying my own floor!
    Stay away from Empire Today by all means!!!

• Empire Today's response · Nov 10, 2011

Patty, we’re sorry for the problems you’ve experienced with your product. We want each and every customer to be happy with the end results in their home and that is why we have been looking into getting this taken care of for your. We did attempt to reach out to you today to provide you an update on the arrival of your new product for repairs. If you could, please call us back at [protected] x4195 or email us at [email protected] so we may confirm this for you. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Business Response. Sep 30, 2010

A member of our customer service team has been in contact with you to offer options for a resolution. Please contact us at [protected] to assist with all your concerns.

• Ar
        Arlene Sep 28, 2010

I thought I had done my homework, We had wanted floors put in so we had a few estimates done from staining the cement floors to flooring wood and laminateand even tile. We ended up going with Empire Today laminate flooring. The salemen came in with samples and we asked all of the questions about the floor, about warranty, cleaning of the floors, is the floor scratch resistant and even moisture. He had stated that we use a lamiate floor cleaner and wet towels even some goo-off stuff and other things like that that there would be no problem. That because of there superior moisture resistant coating, there would be no problem. About 8-9 months into having the floors put in I noticed problems, but at the time I was having to take my husband back and forth to doctors and hospitals, so, the flooring wasn't on the top of my list to take care of. Until now and now Empire Today won't honor there 15 year warranty. And after about $10, 000 later we were told that it was our fault we must be flooding our livingroom, or diningroom and our hallwall. The so called independent inspector told Empire Today, that there was to much moisture in the floor and the only conclusion was I wasn't taking care of my floors the proper way and that there must of been a water leak or flooding in the home for that much moisture. I told them they were crazy, my home was in a flood in 97 and I don't even use laminate cleaners I was hoping to avoid this type of issue and look where I am now. But, they stated that after a small fee they would replace the floor. But, if we had not flooded our floor they would replace. So, anyone thinking of using "Empire Today" Stay Away or you will end up like us. If I could help someone avoid this frustration I will. I am going to post this about Empire Today every where I can. I have even called Channel 3 in my area, to see if they can help me in anyway, and also the BBB better business

Empire Todaylaminate flooring

Watch out and steer clear. Sold a bill of goods from the salesman about durability of their laminate flooring. Worst stuff I have seen. I had to threaten stop payment to get warranty service. Flooring may look great but scratches very easily. The stuff is substandard junk

• Updated by Company Response · Aug 25, 2009

Empire Today is currently researching your concerns. We always want to ensure that you have the best possible experience, and a customer care team member will contact you directly within one business day to work toward a resolution. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Sincerely,
          Consumer Advocate Team
          Empire Today, LLC

• Updated by Company Response · Dec 07, 2009

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. Empire Today has been in contact with this customer and we have come to a resolution.

Sincerely,
          Consumer Advocate Team
          Empire Today, LLC

• Empire Today's response · Mar 12, 2012

We’re disappointed to hear of the problems you experienced during your installation. Your experience is not in line with the high level of customer service that we want all of our customers to enjoy. We’d like to reach out to you and learn more about your experience, but unfortunately we cannot look up your account from the information provided here. Please call us at [protected] x4195 or email [email protected] and we’ll follow back with you to work towards a resolution. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Rh
          R HILL Mar 07, 2012

EMPIRE TODAY INSTALLED LAMINATE FLOORING IN OUR BATHS AND KITCHEN. THE WORKMEN PERFORMED POORLY. THE BASEBOARD PIECES WERE NOT INSTALLED PROPERLY NOR CUT PROPERLY TO FIT THE SPACE. THE CUTTING SAW WAS DULL AND NAIL HOLES SHOW ON THE BASEBOARDS. WHEN ASKED TO REPLACE DAMAGED TILES, THE WORKERS REFUSED. THE WORKERS STOPPED WORKING WHEN THE SUPPLIES RAN OUT AND NEVER RETURNED TO COMPLETE THE WORK. I AM AT FAULT FOR MAKING THE FULL PAYMENT FOR INCOMPLETE WORK. WHEN I CONTACTED EMPIRE, I WAS IGNORED.

• Mo
          Momma Hoog Jun 29, 2010

Ok so here is my complaint. I had Empire today install carpeting in my home, buy 1 room get 2 free. I paid for the installation and the other taxes and fees. Within 4 months the carpet was beginning to matte down and would not come up with the vacuum. I called Empire and 2 men came out to look a the carpet wrote down some information and said someone would call us. That was October of 2009. I NEVER received a call back. Well I had just had a baby and the lat thing on my mind was calling them to do their job. Here we are June of 2010, I have 5 minutes to make a call and tell them my story and well no apology for not getting back to me, but the problem will probably get put back on me. They have sent an independent company to come and look at my carpet. 1 of 3 things my happen, it could be faulty carpet and they will replace (yea right), could be faulty install 9yea right), or homeowner screwed it up. That one sounds right. Anyway the rude gentleman on the phone said that I should have had the carpet cleaned at least once a year and that is explained in my care booklet, I NEVER received a care booklet. Well the carpet has only been in 1 year, so I must wait for the independent contractors evaluation. so screwed up. anyway I will keep you posted and see how bad I will get screwed.
          Deanna H
          Lehigh Valley, PA

• Ha
          Harriet Wiggs Nov 08, 2009

Shop Anywhere Except Empire Today

I contacted Empire Today online back in July, 2009 to schedule an in-home consultationfor hardwood flooring installation. The sales rep immediately nixed my plan for hardwoods and pushed the idea of laminate flooring because I have 2 small dogs. I was opposed to the laminate flooring but he continued to insist that laminates were recommended for pets and noting that my dogs would destroy the hardwoods. I was never fully in agreement with the laminates but decided to have them installed nonetheless. After installation I noticed how difficult it was for my pets to walk across the room. They continually slipped and slid into the tables, walls and chairs. Initially, it was kind of funny to see them so awkward. How often do you get to see a dog fall on its butt? They couldn't manuever jumping into my lap or onto their favorite chair. Less than a week after installation my Cocker Spaniel ruptures his cherry eye. Three weeks later he needs surgery for a ruptured disc. I contacted Empire after noticing the dogs discomfort trying to walk around the room. I informed Empire that my dogs were not acclimating to the floors and I feared serious injury. I asked Empire to remove the flooring and charge me 15% of the purchase price as I couldn't risk serious injury to my dogs and I really hated the floors. The Easy Living flooring required too much work to keep clean. I find myself mopping 3 to 4 times a day. The floors streak although I use the Swiffer Mop recommended. The floors are by no means easy to care for they are extremely labor intensive. I've talked to local managers and regional managers to no avail. I was contacted by a regional manager who offered me a 15% refund kind of flipping my script. The only problem is I still end up with the floors I hate. I informed the manager I wanted to speak with the company president of VP. Now, Empire has decided that the matter is closed as I refused to accept their refund terms. Empire who received over $5000 from me believes they can make a decision unilaterally. I can't tell you how important it is for you to avoid using Empire. They are unresponsive and the level of greed is undeniable. They want your MONEY and nothing else. Please beware. They do not play fair and their products are inferior. Had the installers not left a box of flooring behind I would not have known that the product that I paid so much for was a made in China item not the exclusive product described by the sales agent. You can go almost anywhere and see the same product for less. Additionally, when I realized I was given and itemized bill, I requested one about 10 minutes after the installation. I was assured the itemized receipt would be mailed out immediately. That never happened although after about 10 phone calls I was informed given the run-around. I thought Empires long record in business made them reputable. The only reputation they've shown me is one of greed, indifference and dishonesty. This is a company that I will never have any dealings with again. They mislead customers and cannot justify the quotes they conjure up.
          Harriet Wiggs
          Charlotte, NC

• Ka
          Kat211 Aug 12, 2009

I had laminate flooring installed by Empire Today. I was happy with the installation which was done quickly and all my furniture was moved and then put back. Shortly after the installation, I noticed some puckers along 2 of the seams. I called and someone came out and checked it and made an appointment to repair it the following week. They never showed up. I sat waiting for 3 1/2 hours. I finally called and they claimed they had no record of the appointment. After much run around and not the nicest treatment, they made me another appointment and told me I would have to pay over $300. This was never told to me by the representative who came to check the repair needed. They proceeded to tell me it was in the contract that I would have to pay. I am completely unhappy with this company and warn otheres to be cautious and ask a lot of questions. Also get names and numbers in case they decide not to show up for scheduled appointments. I will not use them again or recommend them to my friends.

Empire TodayI already paid them $5,189.25 which was a waste of money

On May 29th 2008 I place two orders with Empire Carpet with sales rep Mr. Phillip Dorminey. Order # 1 (U050173) for $5, 189.25 and Order #2 (U050174) for $1810.75, which was a special order item. Both orders was charged to my American express that was paid in full. Empire's policy for cancellation was within 3days. Order #2 was cancelled the same evening and a full credit was given and put back on my American Express 0f $1, 810.75. The carpet that was installed in 4rooms had problems. They sent repair crews on several different occasion to repair carpets. The sitting room's carpet was so bad the repair rep said that the carpet has to be replaced due to the bad batch of carprt that was installed. I had to reselect a carpet for the sitting room. I did so with another sales rep from Empire nane Reggie. The carpet in the sitting room was installed on June 27th, 2008. This suppose to be a replacement carpet from Order #U050173 that was already paid for, but instead the office mixed up the order numbers and charged my American Express without my permission. I contacted Empire on several occasions to explain them that I have a zero balance and that this is an error and they refuse to credit the $1, 810.75 that they charged for the replacement carpet that was already paid for. I had to file a dispute to American Express to get my money back. Empire Carpets has me in collections and put it on my credit report. I would like consumers to know that Empire has bad customer service and their quality of carpet is not good. i'm still having trouble with their carpet. There are 4 seams in my son's bedroom, when vaccuumed the vaccuum cleaner is full in secs. The quality of carpet is horrible. I would like for Empire to review their paper work and admit to the error and to remove this collection off my credit report!!! I Have a zero balance. I already paid them $5, 189.25 which was a waste of money. I have so many regrets.

• Empire Today's response · Nov 08, 2011

We’ve read the details in your post and are sorry for the issues you’ve experienced with your bathroom. From you post, we understand an inspector came out but you are not happy with the resolution. As a customer, we want you to be happy with the end results and we’d like the chance to speak with you further about everything. Unfortunately, we’re not able to pull up your account with the information provided. If you could, please send it to us at [email protected] or call us at [protected] x4195. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Le
            Lee Pollitt Oct 31, 2011

Call Empire TODAY, if you want carpet that doesn't hold up, wears well unable normal living conditions or looks good even after vacumning ... Call Empire Today !! That should be their new commerical. Horrible company, horrible grade carpeting, horrible customer service.

ChurchLeola Oct 03, 2011

my best friend's mom makes $77 an hour on the computer. She has been out of job for 9 months but last month her check was $7487 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read about it here CashLazy.com

Empire Todayhorrible experience

We used Empire for new carpet a few years ago. First, the sales rep talked me out of the carpet I really wanted, then the carpet I finally chose wasn't available next day...or next week. I ended up having to wait 3 weeks. They sent 2 men who could not speak English or run a straight line, and the carpet down my stairs was installed at an angle! And the free tickets to an amusement park turned out to be "discount" tickets we still had to pay for. Empire refused to fix the mistakes. After looking at this horrible carpet for a few years, I finally went to a local carpet company and they will be replacing Empire's work next week. To this day, I CAN'T STAND the sound of their commercials...they make me so angry.

• Updated by Company Response · Sep 06, 2011

We are sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with the carpet and installation and would like to reach out to you to discuss further. Unfortunately, we are unable to locate your account with the information presented here. If you’re willing, please send your contact information to [email protected] or call us at [protected] ext 4195 and we will contact you to work towards a resolution. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Business Response. Jun 04, 2010

Thank you for bringing your carpet experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our customer service team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at [protected] so we can assist you.

Empire Today Carpeting — very inferior carpets

I had new "top of the line" carpets put in with Empire. 2 years later they were in such shocking condition. I...

Empire Today / Wells Fargo — billing

I had floors installed in my living room and dining room. I was advised, "If you pay it off in a year, no...

Empire Carpetwarranty

DO NOT BUY FROM EMPIRE CARPET!!! They do NOT stand behind their products and will blame the homeowner for their shoddy workmanship and cheap materials.
            My husband and I had carpet installed last year by Empire. We did not order the cheapest carpet and chose a mid-grade plush. We first noticed that the carpet was matting down instantly but thought that it was normal since it had been so many years since we had new carpet. After several months, we noticed a distinct wearing in the "high" traffic areas (Note - it is only the two of us - no pets, no children and neither of us wear shoes in the house). After almost a year, we realized the amount of matting and wear was not normal because the carpet looked as bad as our 17 year old carpet we had just replaced.
            We called Empire and they sent an inspector who could barely speak English and did not know how to operate my vacuum cleaner. He said that he only took pictures and agreed with me that the carpet looked unusually worn. A week later I received the inspection report in the mail and was surprised to find that Empire blamed the matting of the carpet on my new $500 Dyson vacuum. Their reasoning was that the beater brush barely touched the carpet. The inspector said we had incorrectly maintained the carpet. Since when is regular vacuuming with a high quality vacuum cleaner "improper maintenance"? In addition the inspector lied to me when he said he did not make the decision, and he also neglected to mention the seams that were showing in every room which I had also complained about in his report.

I tried calling the Chicago office to contest the report and they said I could hire my own inspector and if he found a defect, they would reimburse me. Yeah...right. How about if instead I just deal with my cheap crappy carpet and tell the world what a crummy company Empire is? Buyer BEWARE!!!

• De
                DeRb Dec 12, 2016

Yes, they do deny if a Dyson is used because it lacks a roller brush. But don't fret. Even if they run out of excuses to deny claims, the underpinning manufacture will deny them without cause anyway -- even if you are using an "approved" vacuum at the right settings and have all the cleaning records.

nocorpman1 Mar 24, 2012

I was now able to convince 2 people who wanted to call Empire not to call. There sales people maybe worst sales reps out there.

• Le
                Lee Pollitt Oct 31, 2011

I HATE Empire Carpet, I got ripped off by them also. A bunch of crooks. I get a little satification warning all my friends and anyone who will listen never to even consider calling Empire today... or any day. I had a friend who had an appointment with Empire and called me and asked if I ever heard anything bad about them... boy did I fill her in... she cancelled her appointment. She's been to my house and has seen my disgusting, horrible carpet.

• Et
                ET Customer Care Jul 27, 2011

I’m sorry to hear about the problems you’ve experienced. It’s always our goal for you to be satisfied with your new home and we’d like to continue working with you to come to a mutually agreed upon resolution. However, without your contact information, we’re not able to look up your account. If you could, please email it to [email protected] or call us at [protected] x4195 so we can look into this further and have a member of our customer service team follow back with you. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Empire Todaylate delivery

On July 2, we ordered carpet (salesman Marty). We were to have the carpet installed after the holiday. It was scheduled for the following Wed. We then received a call asking us to move the installation to Fri for a discount of $50. We agreed. We are not naive -- we know Empire is expensive, but we *thought* we were buying convenience. We couldn't have been more wrong. On Fri, we received an afternoon call. Installers would be arriving at 8:30 pm to do our stairs and hallway. I objected, as their advertised hours end at 6, and we are parents of young children. The woman on the phone told me that a manager would have to approve a reschedule -- the same hard sell as the initial sale. I should have cancelled then, but they had our money. I called corporate, who informed me that the customer can refuse such a late installation, no manager necessary. We scheduled for Monday -- first thing! we were promised, since we'd already been twice delayed -- and Sat wouldn't work since we were celebrating the return of a serviceman family member. On Monday, no call, so we called Empire. There was supposedly no note that we were to be first, only that we had "refused" service on Sat, and installers would be coming "shortly." I should have cancelled then. After many, many more rounds of phone calls, we were told that installers would be here "second", and we were given another discount ($150) for our trouble (assuming the charge-back has been completed). Installers arrived at 5:30, with our carpet in the back of a U-Haul. Another point at which I should have refused. As they worked into the night, I asked if they received overtime. They did not, but were just "happy to have work." (From now on I insist on knowing how employees are paid if I am to work with a business). Corporate did not return our calls regarding the late hour, which they had promised would be avoided. They finished after 10 pm. I signed the completion paperwork around 10:30 pm. At that time it looked . . . done, and that was a relief. On Tuesday Ms.Snell called in response to our online complaint, and added another $100 discount for our continued frustration into the evening on Monday. At that point I wouldn't have recommended Empire -- it was expensive and inconvenient, and the work was not terrific -- but it was over . . . Until I sat down today to take off shoes tonight, and discovered that, six days after installation, there is a hole on the rise of one of the steps. I know BBB works for companies rather than customers, but I have submitted a complaint to the Illinois office nonetheless in the hopes that my voice will be heard. I have lost all confidence in Empire's ability to resolve this issue in a timely and competent manner, and will only be satisfied by refund. Too much of my valuable time has been wasted already.

Bunama Jul 22, 2011

Update: We have reached an agreement today, and we thank Empire for working with us to resolve this matter.

Business Response. Jul 21, 2011

Alison, I’m sorry for the issues you’ve had with your product and for your experience. As a customer, we want you to be happy with your new home and your satisfaction is very important to us. It’s my understanding that we did reach out to you today and have been able to come to mutually agreed upon resolution together. However, we’re always here to help and if you have any questions or concerns now or in the future, please feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at [protected] x4195. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Empire Today Carpetprice, quality, customer service

I'm dizzy from all the double talk from costumer service and so disappointed. Felt like I was in the twilight zone. Actually felt like I was talking to my kids aka the wall. Do your homework first. Empire is not looking out for your best interest. Typical big business. I would not use them again. I didn't realize I was suppose to haggle with them for a descent more reasonable price. Next day delivery enables you the three days to cancel your order if you felt you couldn't say no face to face or needed more time to let the transaction sink in. Now I'm stuck with "SUCKER" written on my forehead.

• Et
                    ET Customer Care Jul 29, 2011

Pam, we’re sorry for the issues you’ve had with your product and for any miscommunication that occurred regarding our pricing or warranty. While all of our products do come with a manufacturer and one year installation warranty, there are certain conditions that apply. Still, your satisfaction is very important to us and we’d like to work with you. I do understand that we did reach out to you to address your concerns. Could you please call us back at [protected] x4195 or email us at [email protected]? Thank you and we look forward to working towards a satisfying resolution with you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Empire Today / Carpetingbait & switch/customer service

On 12/31/2010, a salesman from Empire Today came to our residence to bring samples of carpet and vinyl floor coverings. The salesman showed up, gave us his pitch for carpeting, and we signed a contract to have new carpet installed with a "Great 15 Year Warranty". Our salesman told us that Empire would stand behind the product if we had any issues, just like they did with our laminate we had in our kitchen. We had our carpet installed on or around 1/8/2011. The installers spent the entire day installing our carpet, and it looked nice when they completed it. It is now not even 6 months later, and our carpet looks like the carpet we took up that was 10 years old! We vacuum our carpet almost everyday, and have already cleaned it once. I called Empire, only to be told by their management that wear is not covered on their warranty. Now, I spent good money on this great carpet, and it looks like its 10 years old already! I don't believe the carpet we picked out was the carpeting that we had installed. On our contract, nowhere does it say the make or model of carpeting or padding that was being installed. I believe that we were a victim of bait and switch, and would NEVER recommend Empire to anyone as they do NOT have great warranties or stand behind their crappy product that isn't even 6 months old!

Business Response. Jun 24, 2011

I am sorry to here you aren’t satisfied with your product. We’re committed to making sure you’re happy in your new home and would like to work towards a resolution with you. All of our products do come with product manufacturer warranties and our one year installation warranty, and I’d like the chance to look up your account history to learn more about the product we’ve installed in your home. If you could, please send your contact information to [email protected] or call me at [protected] x4195 so we may look up your account and begin working on a resolution together. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Empire Carpetwon't repair bad installation

We paid over $3000 for a new floor in our kitchen and dining room. the salesman ensured us that the floors could be installed directly over the existing floor. From the first week there were problems. The installers had to come back multiple times because they didn't have the correct parts. Within a month the floor started to flake. Then the treadles started to pop up at teh steps area and it was apparent that they were not installed properly. They sent out representatives twice to look at the floors. The last 'supervisor' said that he agreed with us but that he doubted that they would do anything. Now the flooring has swollen bubbles in it. After multiple letters and calls we eventually gave up.

Business Response. Jun 23, 2011

I’ve read your post and am sorry to hear about the problems you’ve had with your product. As a customer, your satisfaction is very important to us and I’m disappointed to hear about the lack of response you’ve received about the issues you’ve experienced. As our National Customer Service Manager, I’d like the chance to reach out to you to learn more about what happened and to work on a resolution with you. If you could, please send me your contact information to [email protected] or call me at [protected] x4195 so we may get in touch with you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Empire Carpetfraud and no show

I had a salesman come to my house for a free in-home estimate. He wouldn't give me a straight answer about the products or how much exactly the carpet, the padding and the work each would cost. He quoted me an astronomical figure for the job, which he brought down by a few hundred dollars when he saw my stunned face. I decided to go ahead with the job because I really needed the carpet installed right away. The installer never showed up!!! I got an apology and a further discount if I still want them to do the job. I don't think so!

Bunama Jul 18, 2011

Update to above: We went through with installation -- against our better judgment (a common theme among complaints, I know) -- and six days later, there is a hole in the *rise* of one of the steps. We notified Empire, but we have also filed a complaint with the BBB in Illinois. Empire is aware that their salespeople are advertising employee "crews" that are not crews but independent contractors (something our salesperson insisted set them apart from Home Depot and Loews, and continued through our conflicts over scheduling), and when someone tells me that this time they will send someone who will do it right . . . well, shouldn't they *always* be sending someone who will do it right? And how will I be compensated for time lost for yet another day?

Bunama Jul 11, 2011

We ordered carpet on Saturday, and delivery was scheduled for Wednesday. We aren't naive -- we know Empire is far more expensive, but we sacrificed cost for convenience (or so we thought) because we have a lot going on right now.
                          Empire Today has been unbelievably inconvenient and a colossal, expensive waste of time. We were asked to reschedule our Wednesday appointment for Friday ("due to the holiday") On Friday, we received a call that they would *not* be installing during regular business hours, but at 8:30 pm, and that if we wanted to move it to a different day, we'd need manager's approval. That wouldn't work for us, as we have small children. I called corporate, who apologized for the intentional misinformation, and rescheduled for Monday morning, the rep promising that she made a note at corporate and local that we were upset and couldn't waste another day waiting for installation, so that we'd be first installation. An installer called and confirmed this, apologizing for something I'm sure he had no control over.
                          No call Monday morning until 10. Different installer (of course). We'll be second. My husband called regional customer service (Annie, since Dan has not returned our call), and Annie insisted that there was no note that we were unhappy, and he said we'd like to cancel. Annie said she'd need time to speak with a manager -- but by then, I suspect that the installation will be (conveniently) complete and we'll be held to contract, unless I refuse delivery until we receive a call from corporate. This is our current plan because . . .
                          Other customer service numbers (Rebekah above) do not pick up. My time is worth far more than this, so I'm sharing my dissatisfaction with friends and neighbors, and relatives who just bought a new house, and will never use Empire Today again for our residence or rental properties. I've never had such run-around trying to resolve an issue with a company. And I feel I owe an apology to local carpet stores and installers. All future business will go local!

Business Response. Jun 10, 2011

We’ve read your post and would like the opportunity to follow back with you about your missed installation appointment. We understand your time is valuable and we apologize for having to reschedule your installation. If you’re able to send me your contact information, I’d like to have someone from our team reach out to you. We’d like to see if you’d be willing to give us another chance and gather some information about your experience so we can follow up internally to address the issues you’ve described. Can you email me at [email protected] or call me directly at [protected] x4195? Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Business Response. Jun 08, 2011

Janet, We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and communicating your concerns about your experience. We’d like to apologize for the issues you’ve had with your installation and product and for any inconveniences it may have caused you. We want you to be satisfied with the product we’ve installed in your home, and I’m disappointed to learn about the lack of response you’ve received from our team. It’s important that we work with you to address your concerns and reach a resolution together. I understand that we’ve reached to you today to learn more so we may follow back with the local area market involved. If you could, please follow back with me at [protected] x4195 or email me at [email protected] I’d like to work with you to make things right. We look forward to hearing from you soon. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Empire Todaytim sherwin horrible service

I had a terrible experience this past month with Empire's Window Treatment division. I needed to replace broken vertical blinds that came with my home when I purchased 7 years ago. I really didn't have the money but it became a necessity. I decided on Roman Shades. Since there are no good pictures on Empire's site, I checked others to make sure they are what I wanted. Unlike when I purchased carpet and flooring, the salesperson DID NOT have a sample. What he had was a book with pictures. The picture showed a white roman shade set inside white moulding on a white wall. I didn't want white, so there were pieces of colored fabric in the book as well. From this small sample I chose the moss green. When the installer came to measure, I told him I wanted the shade inside the moulding. He told me I wouldn't like it like that - and to believe him because he has been doing this for 20 years - and measured from the outside corners of my moulding. What no one told me and what I could not see because there are no samples and no picture of a roman shade in a color other than white, is that the metal housing at the top of the shade is white - it does not match the shade fabric. If you look at roman shades at other websites as I had done, they all have the housing in the same fabric as the shade. I have a deep colored wall and green fabric that goes from corner to corner covering my moulding AND AN INDUSTRIAL WHITE METAL STRIP ACROSS THE TOP. I am extremely unhappy and have spoken to many people including Maggie in customer service, Helen Brown in the 'complaint resolution' dept, and Tim Sherwin from 'the office of the president.' I got the same answer from all of them. TOO BAD - YOU BOUGHT THEM. I challenged them, especially the guy from the president's office, so show me where I would have known I was getting a white metal housing with a green shade and he said 'I don't know that you would.' The are hideous and no one was wiling to help. I asked for my money back - no way. I asked for a different blind (one that comes with a valance of sorts) - no way. I asked them to just resize what I have so they sit inside the moulding the way that I had originally asked the measurer - I figured if there was white all around the shade I the housing would blend in - AGAIN: NO WAY. I asked to speak to the president and was told NO. Tim Sherwin told me they are a privately held company and he did not have to provide that information. I asked to speak to his boss and he said NO. The worst part of the whole experience - beside the 1000.00 dollars I spent on horrible blinds - is the lack of concern or understanding on Maggie, Helen, and Tim's part. They all said the same thing - EXACTLY THE SAME THING - it was obvious there is a script and no matter what I said or how upset I became (truly - like most people I do not have 1000 dollars to throw away) they all said the same words. This was the worst service I have ever received and the worst major purchase I have ever made. Obviously I will never again purchase from Empire Today.

• Empire Today's response · Feb 01, 2013

Tony, it’s disappointing that you have not been satisfied in the service you’ve received. We can assure you that we are committed to working with our customers if ever problems arise, and we would like to learn more about your situation. Unfortunately, we are not able to locate your account with the information you’ve posted here. Please call us at [protected] x4195 or email [email protected], and we will follow up with you to discuss your concerns. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Al
                            Alyte Apr 25, 2019

This is the exact type of experience I have had with them. Timothy Sherwin is a bold faced liar, treating me like I’m a 5 year old. Every thing he asked for I provided; including pictures of moisture readings in my home. His final response was “ it must have died up” referring to the “moisture problem” they insisted I had in my house. They simply didn’t want to take responsibility for poor installation. Worst customer service I’ve ever experienced.

• To
                            Tony Montanaa Jan 28, 2013

The Empire Today sucks especially Meggy and all of the customer service. They do not have experience on their business and all they
                            do is talk ### and have very bad customer service and the employee Scott seems to be carpet certified when he has no clue at all about floors.

Business Response. Jun 20, 2011

I’m truly sorry that you were not satisfied with your experience. I’ve read your post and as our National Customer Service Manager, I’d like the chance to speak with you. Your feedback is very important to us as the situation you’ve described is not in line with the service we hope to provide our customers and we’d like work with you to make things right. If you’re able to send your contact information to [email protected] or contact me via phone at [protected] x4195, I’ll follow back with you. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Business Response. Jun 02, 2011

As our National Customer Service Manager, I’m truly sorry for your experience. The situation you’ve described is not in line with our standard of service and I’d like the chance to speak with you to learn more. When a customer experiences concerns with their product, we try to work with the customer to reach a resolution. Your feedback is very important to us as we’re always trying to improve on the level of service we provide our customers. If you’re interested, please send me your contact information at [email protected] or call me at [protected] x4195 and I’ll follow back with you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Empire Carpetseams not matching

Do not walk away but run...I had carpet installed in a larger than 12' room. Not once did anyone from Empire tell me that the seams would not match...the day of the installtion the installer advised us that the seams would not match...then told us to live with it a few weeks...after 2 weeks of missed or late installers...a new person from Empire came back and advised us that we would need a different type of carpet...other rooms have the same with exception of the bedroom..Now we get a bill and Empire can not do anything about it...they haven't finished the installation...and we now have to start paying on the carpet because their computer is tied into Wells Fargo and they can't redo it...Now if that isn't a bunch of hog wash...DO NOT WASTE TIME ON EMPIRE...go anywhere..I wich I had done my homework before getting intto this mess...

Business Response. May 25, 2011

Mr. and Mrs. Aasen, we want you to be happy with the product we’ve installed in your home and I’m disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. However, I understand that we reached out to you and worked with you to make things right. I’d like the chance to speak with you to see how everything went and to answer any questions you may have. Thank you for the opportunity to follow back with you and ensure that we addressed your concerns. If you could, please call me at [protected] x4195 or email me at [email protected] I look forward to hearing from you.

Empire Carpetingno-show - no call

Friday, April 29, 2011, I took a day off work as Empire was supposed to lay outdoor carpeting on my outdoor porches. Each porch is covered. It had rained the previous day. The porch was dry except on one small overhang. It was damp. So they said they would be back between 5 and 6 o'clock. Well at 7:20 I called the installer. He said he was still planning to come and would be their in one hour. Never showed. Saturday a.m., I called Empire. A beautiful sunny day. They said they would have someone call me and install it that day. Again, no call, no SHOW. Monday a.m., I called Empire again. Asked for a manager, they stated they could not do that as they had to call the area in which I lived and just leave messages, but they guaranteed that someone would call me. Again, no call, no SHOW!. It is now Wednesday. I called at 5:30 p.m. (after work) and was told again that someone would call me tomorrow as they closed at 5:00 p.m. I bet it will again be no call, no SHOW. I will never refer this company to anyone.

Business Response. May 11, 2011

Cheryl, I am sorry about the inconvenience you were caused by your missed installation appointments. I understand that after speaking with a member of our Customer Service Team, that your installation was successfully completed Monday. We want to ensure you are satisfied with the finished results and if you have any further questions or concerns in the future please feel free to email me at [email protected] or contact me via phone at [protected] x 4195. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Jk
                                JKDE May 05, 2011

I wasted a whole day waiting for Empire Carpeting to measure my house for a complete re-carpeting. After the first appointment time went no-show, I called to ask where the person was. Empire would say he will be there in an hour. Five phone calls, five no-shows and five hours later they call and say the salesman will be there tomorrow.
                                I told Empire Carpeting their service before the sale is horrible and I will buy elsewhere.
                                Empire Carpeting is a waste of time.

Empire Today — bait and switch

Watch out for swapping face weights! I went to Home Depot, found a Mohawk carpet sample I liked and received...

Empire Todayquality

Had carpet in less than a year and it was buckling in all rooms. Called in to have them re-stretch, now less than 1.5 years since the restretch it is bucking again and they will not stand behind the warranty.

• So
                                  southernmedic2005 May 10, 2011

Face weights actually have nothing to do with the pricing of the carpet. The pricing is based on the material the carpet is made with ie: nylon, polyester, ptt, olefin, etc and the type of carpet ie: cut loop etc which gives it it's different look and feel along with the twist rate. Empire was great to me and I referred them to several of my friends who had great experiences.

Business Response. Apr 25, 2011

Mr. Hindman, As a member of the National Customer Service Team, I wanted to follow back with you about your post. I understand that we’ve spoken with you recently and explained that the one-year installation warranty for your product expired in 2009, however we have offered to work with you to address the concerns you’ve having with your product. We stand behind our products and installation and want you to be satisfied. I can be reached at [email protected] or [protected] x4195. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager.

Empire Carpetseemed like a good idea, but not

I'll start by saying that even though I read all the reviews, I just had a morbid sense of humor and wanted to see first hand just how sketchy Empire was.

I filled out the online in-home estimate request and then noticed somewhere that it stated if you weren't spending at least $750.00 that they would not come out so I emailed a cancellation request (only needed 20 sq.

yards of carpet). Not only did they send me the cancellation confirmation, but right behind it, they rescheduled my appointment again. When I called, I had to jump through hoops to actually speak to a human being, explained my situation, and the woman stated that no job was too small and that they would be here today, Monday, January 31.

My sales guy called and was super nice, he was close to my home so he was coming an hour early if that was ok. Sure, no problem. Now I have already spoken with Lowes, Home Depot and Molyneaux over the weekend and each provided a rough quote of around $540.00 - $560.00. So I figured hey, Empire says they save you money, why not let them come in for an estimate.

Well, my salesman arrived happy as a child on Christmas morning. I quickly escorted him to the small bedroom and hallway that I wanted to have carpeted and explained what I have explained above. Suddenly, this kind old man became so enraged that he literally turned 4 shades of red and began shaking. He told me that unlike these stores, he only installs quality product. I told him that I was looking at Stainmaster carpet with upgraded pad and I thought that was quality. He then threw his metal briefcase on the floor and fumbled his phone out of his pocket to call "his boss" and told me that I had to tell them I canceled my appointment. When he put me on the phone, I told them that no, I didn't cancel, I was told that 20 sq yards of carpet would be no less than $900.00 and that I was going with another quote, he ripped the phone away from me, hung it up, called me an a$$hole and dropped his phone.

Business Response. Mar 10, 2011

We see that you wrote about your experience at the end of January and we offered to reach out to you at that time. We’d still like to speak with you about your experience and address your concerns. Could you email your contact information to [email protected] or contact me via phone [protected] x4195 and we’ll follow back with you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

Empire Todayhard nose sale

On my way out from shopping at BJ's Wholesale I stopped at a booth advertising free estimates on carpet and hardwood flooring. Told them I wanted a quote only and they said okay. Yesterday a guy came over and I told him right off the bat that I was not making a commitment. He showed me 3 different carpet samples - high, medium and low priced and quality. They were PET Polyester and told me it was better than Nylon carpet. He started out at $10K for a 3 level townhouse and then when I budged he said "Did you get any coupons from BJ's?" I said Yes and he knocked it down more. Then he asked "Can you have it installed on a Tues Wed or Thurs?" I said Yes and down some more. Then he said "Let me call my manager" - came back and said the colors I wanted were in overstock so he could knock it down more. Final price - $3500 for the whole house. I felt pressured to take this deal and signed the paperwork. When he left I went online and saw that Polyester carpet was CRAP and read the complaints about Empire's work. Two hours later I cancelled my purchase. I felt like I was hardballed into making a commitment IMMEDIATELY and not having a chance to compare prices or to compare carpet from other places. Will never deal with Empire again or have any other type of salesperson come to my house. From now on, I will go to businesses and take control over what I want and what I'm willing to pay. Be careful consumers - don't do what I did.

Business Response. Feb 21, 2011

I am very sorry to hear this. I understand you’ve cancelled your appointment because you had some concerns regarding our company. However, I can assure you we only carry quality, name-brands and all of our installations are performed by installers who are trained professionals. I’d like the chance to speak with you to address your questions and concerns and see if you’d reconsider giving us another chance. If you’re willing, could you please send me your contact information and I’ll have a member of our Customer Service Team reach out to you? You can email your information to [email protected] or contact me via phone at [protected] x 4195. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Cd
                                      CD Brooklyn Feb 20, 2011

I too had a very similiar thing happen. I asked them to come over for a free estimate. I was looking for Vertical Blinds. After getting the estimate I nicely said I would have to think about it and talk to my husband. The salesman promptly ytold me I came over to make a sale. If you don't buy from me now you wasted my time. He was quite pissed and left.