Costco - Newmarket, Ontario — beware kirkland diamond pet foods!
In early January 2007 I purchased a bag of Costco's Kirkland Signature "Super Premium Maintenance Formula" dry cat food. I began feeding it to my two cats. My female took one sniff and immediately refused to eat it, so we gave her a bowl of the old type of food. My four and a half year-old, healthy male cat consumed large amounts of it, but within a few days he began vomiting and demonstrated an adverse reaction to his food. We took him to the vet and blood tests revealed that his liver counts were off the charts! We put him in treatment for 5 days of care, and the vet did more tests. Within a day his kidney counts then went off the charts. The vet could not explain it. She intravenously flushed fluids through him and his counts started to drop and he began to eat the food that the vet gave him. This initial visit cost $325 dollars.
We ended up bringing him home and he would sniff the Kirkland food and try to nibble here and there, but he again began to vomit and became really lethargic. After two days we brought him back to the vet, where he remained for another five days of fluid treatment. We thought we were going to lose him. This stay cost ANOTHER $325. His counts returned to normal and we brought him home. We switched back to his old food and he ate it as if he had been starving.
On March 16th the Canadian news reported a huge recall of pet foods. Costco's Kirkland brand is not mentioned on menufoods.com website (the company handling the recall), but I am absolutely certain that this food poisoned my cat! I think that consumers should be aware that Diamond pet foods (which makes the Kirkland brand) may be either accidentally or purposefully poisoning their pets!