Costco And Sealymattress stinking of chemicals

L

I received a Sealy Waterbrook mattress from Costco a month ago. It is still emitting an overpowering stench of chemicals, and I'm waking up with breathing difficulties and stinging eyes. The odor is so strong that you can smell it from the hall leading up to the bedroom. I contacted Costco, and they said that they will replace it with the identical mattress, which will likely outgas in the same way. I then contacted Sealy, and was cheerfully told by their customer service rep that these fumes were somehow desirable, like "a new car smell".
The vendor concedes that the foam used in the mattress may have been improperly cured, that the mattresses may have been wrapped immediately after construction, but are unprepared to do anything about it.
I fear the long-term health consequences of exposure to this out-gassing, and find it unconscionable that these companies rush these products to the consumer without taking the time to properly cure the product so that it does not emit these chemicals into their consumer's homes.

• Br
    BrendaDaoust Mar 15, 2018

My recent purchase of 2 Sealy mattresses from costco also smells like mildew.
    Very disappointing and troublesome health concerns.

• Co
    concerned.E Apr 22, 2010

Linda,
    I have the same problem. Purchased a Sleep Science bed from Costco. Its been a month now and the smell of chemicals and almost like mildew smell is just awful!
    My boyfriend suffered severe breathing problems and asthma attack. I have also been sleeping on the couch but move late night since the couch is so small. I began to do some reach and its quite scary what they put in these mattresses.
    The awful part is that companies do not disclose what fire ###ant chemicals they use because its a trade secret. I called Sealy since I wanted to buy a regular spring mattress and asked what chemicals they use and they stated that they do not use any which is a lie. Organic beds are way over my budget and we are left with few options. I'm actually going to have to look at futon mattresses.

• Kr
    kris Apr 29, 2009

the second you smelled that horrible smell you should have returned the mattress to your local Costco. They have a great return policy and would give you a full refund so that in return you can purchase a new mattress "fragrance-free" somewhere else maybe your local at your local mattress store if they didn't have anything there for you. so you did it to yourself dont complain!