Consumers Energyno service due to balance on previous owners

My business purchased a building that was about to go into foreclosure. We had a lawyer and a clear title. When I contacted Consumers Energy on Nov 11th to have power turned on they stated they needed to do a credit check so we filled out the paperwork. Today is Nov 30 and I still have no power nor do I have a date when I'll get power. After 6 hours of calling hoping for a positive response, I find out the previous owners had a past due amount and they expect me to pay it before getting power. This is wrong!! I've contacted the Michigan Public Service Commission and filed a complaint. I'm also hiring a lawyer to sue this monopoly for loss of revenue. This should not be allowed to happen to anyone.

• Cc
    cccckckeker Feb 26, 2009

Consumers Energy has THE WORST customer service around. I too, got tricked into not receiving paper bills, just because I went online to make payment arrangements. We have moved and while in our previous home I went online to make an arrangment, our bill was behind and current was due. Times are hard. Anyway, I made the arrangement, made a payment, then I received a shut off notice. I called them, (waited on hold for at least 20 minutes), then they said my account was so delenquint, I could not do payment arrangments and they wanted the full balance. Why do they think I made arrangements?? Any way, I am still paying on that. meanwhile we received the bill for our new home, an "estimate" reading of $470 something, we were not moved in yet, but owned the home, no lights, no heat, no tv, washer, dryer, etc. I tried to call, on hold for 15 min, lost signal on my phone, lost patience, hung up. Fine, we'll pay it. This months bill is $677. we are not home during the day, we turn the heat down to 60 up to 65 after we get home. tv not on a lot, no excessive anything. Newer home with great air tight windows, newer furnace, not drafty anywhere. Furnace not running constantly. Of course I can't call without waiting an estimated 30 minutes. WHO has 30 miutes to sit on hold. Oh, and when I try to pay online for the other house, when I log in, there is my balance, when I go to the payment page, it says CURRNTLY NO BILLS!!! WHAT A JOKE!!!

• Th
    THE OTHER SIDE Sep 11, 2009

(CLEARLY STATES IN BOLD RED LETTERS THAT YOU WILL NO LONGER RECEIVE PAPER BILLS IF YOU USE THE ONLINE SERVICE TO MAKE FREE PAYMENTS - idiot! No one "tricked" you. Sufice it to say most people who do business online have enough common sense to read the "Terms and Conditions". Estimated readings are allowed - Consumers Energy is required to read the meter 1 time in a 12 month period - they attempt to read every month...if your bill is estimated (call in a reading!)

• St
    stopthem2010 Feb 24, 2010

this happened to my friend today, after seven years of owning the house, they shut off the electricity and there is children in the home due to a balance accumulated on a separate meter that was on the garage, they shut off the entire homesteads power and accusing them of being renters, even after proving they bought the house seven years ago. they refuse to return power until the past due bill is paid, which is several thousands of dollars. they had electricity, and up to date payments on the home, never were notified of the seperate meter, never a late bill, they just showed up and shut the power off. looks like time to get an attorney.

• Yo
    yoder 03 Jan 17, 2011

back in augest of 2017 my husband was told he had to pay a depoist of $200.00 before he could service turned on at the rental unit we r living in but now that we r buying a house just 6 months later they are telling him he has to pay another depoist they keep messing up the bill as well and can never get a person to talk to you whice gets him upset i think they should transfer the depoist can someone help here

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices