Walgreens Pharmacy / don't understand insurance

1 San Antoino, TX, United States Review updated:

My Blue Cross plan is a Health Savings Account. We get $1400/per year/per family. After the $1400 is used up, we pay cash for any doctor visits, lab, RX etc.
I guess the Walgreens was out of the generic blood pressure meds I was prescribed, so they took it upon themselves to give me the equilivent brand name med. Their reasoning was: "I ran it through and it was free!". I explained to them that everything is "free" until I use up my allotment. She couldn't understand it. I told her I did not want the brand name meds, that I wanted generic, and could wait for them to order it. She said "well it's free, so I can't figure out why you want the generic", and slammed the phone down. They keep trying this every month, so instead of having $4 taken out of my health savings account, I get $62 taken out. What a dope, I transferred all my prescriptions to Walmart, which will probably be another messed up situation.

Fi

Comments

• It
      8th of Jun, 2009

try working for these people as i did! OMG!!! it is worse in upper management...and if you do not do exactly as they want you to...they will terminate you without cause...

• Br
      1st of Sep, 2009

My situation is opposite. The generic version of my medication wasn't approved by FDA. So it wasn't covered by my insurance company while the branded version is covered.

The dope at walgreens filled it with Generic version and made me pay $35+ as opposed to $10 copay. Shouldn't she have had the common sense to check which version is covered and which isn't?

Because I realized this after taking one capsule, they wouldn't exchange or refund.