Uhaul / deceptive guarantee

uHaul Canada
MY husband reserved a dual-axel trailer from u_Haul and we were advised that we would have it on the date, at the ipckup location of our choice (Houston, BC). The day before we were to pick it up, uHaul called and advised that we would have to drive to Prince Rupert to pick up our trailer and that's all there was to it. Rupert being a 750km round trip).

When I pointed out that their guarantee promised that they would have an equaivalent or better vehicle, the CSR at their 800 number, possibly the rudest human on earth next to an ICBC employee, on the phone advised me that they had my trailer and it wasn't their fault thet it was "not quite" at my desired location.

I find their proactices to be unreasonable, the length of the trip to pick up more than unreasonable and I am taking them to Small Claims Court for all costs incurred from the extra travel. including mileage, fuel, distress and delays, etc.

If anyone in Canada wants to join me on this, please e-mail me at GoneSkiing @ uniserve.com and include uHaul Potential Class Action in the title of the mail.

D  10th of Feb, 2010 by
listen to every single word the person says on the phone. we do not say that the exact location that you will pick up. It's important that if the local U-Haul representative has not contacted you, that you contact them for scheduling your pickup location and time. To change or cancel your reservation please contact us no later than the day prior to your pickup date. Reservations canceled on the day of pickup are subject to a $50 cancellation fee. Please call (800) 432-2902 to make changes, or if you have further questions about your reservation. U-Haul reserves the right to substitute equipment of equal or greater size at no additional charge to you. which means that you can pick up anywhere in the area. the location that has the equipment will call you no later than 6 pm the day prior to pick up.
A  8th of Mar, 2010 by
Last summer I had reserved a U-Haul trailer 5 months in advance to move my daughter to college 5 hours away. The day before pick up, we got the call to pick up a trailer that was twice as big as we "reserved" at a location which would have been a 4 hour round trip to pick up. I refused and they called back with a location that was 2 hours return trip. I was furious but there wasn't much we could do since my daughter had to get to school that weekend!!! We need to move her back now. We have access to a box trailer but only because an enclosed trailer would be more convenient, I have once again attempted to "reserve" a U-Haul trailer. This time we are prepared though. If they call and a correct sized trailer is not available where I listed as the pick up city, we will decline it and use the trailer we have access to. I absolutely hate to give U-Haul any more of my business and will do so only because it is convenient to me, it is not my only alternative and because there is no other company that offers one-way drop off of trailers in the city we will be moving her back from. If I had to rely on getting a trailer from U-Haul, I would not do it - I would rent a trailer through a different company and return it to the place of origin if I had to because U-Haul is not reliable at all. I think U-Haul is a very poor excuse for a customer based company - I'm surprised they have any customers.

U-Haul International Logo U-Haul International