Toys r us / unethical online practices

1 AL, United States Review updated:

I have to report an annoying experience that I had with Toys R Us last night. I went online at 10 EST to buy their deals to save the trip to the store in the cold rain.

I put items into my cart. I put in 3 transformers figures marked at $11.99 each. In your cart, they all show that price until you put in 3 of them. Then once you put in three items, it makes two of them free. I did the same for GI Joe figures. The price in my cart was accurate. Then I browsed their ad for another half hour or so looking at some items. Then I went through the check out process. Once I submitted and agreed to the price, I hit submit again. Then it charged me more than I agreed to.

The reason it charged more was because two of the figures I wanted weren't available anymore. Since they weren't available anymore, the ones that I had for free went back to normal price (remember you have to have 3 in your cart of same price to get the other two free). So since one transformer and one GI Joe wasn't available, it put the price back up. This is annoying since I thought that if it was in your cart, then it is yours to have, right? Kind of like have something in your physical cart at a real brick and mortar store.

I tried to call their customer service. The first time, the automated system hung up on me. The second time, I was left on hold forever.

So I decided to drive to the physical store...

When I got there, the line was around the building. I though that was the people for the 5 AM deals...nope. Turns out it was busy. They only let so many people in due to fire codes. As 20 people left, they let 20 more people in.

I didn't even attempt it.

So at this point, I spent 90 minutes or more and didn't even get the simple figures I wanted.

Who should I contact? Toys R Us is starting to leave the same bad taste in my mouth as Wal-Mart.

Comments

• Po
      26th of Nov, 2010

While the site probably should have alerted you, you can't be that surprised that the items sold out and the store itself was packed. Wait a day, and call customer service.

• Lm
      9th of Dec, 2010

So you took a half an hour browsing after adding the items to your shopping cart, in that half an hour, others made the purchase and made the items go out of stock.

it's this simple------when shopping online, the items are not YOURS until you make the actual purchase with a credit/debit card. Same goes if you are at the store and you put something in your shopping cart, it's not YOURS until you pay for it. Good God, common sense people!