Menu
Toys "R" Us
reviews & complaints

Toys "R" Us
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

196 complaints
60 resolved 136 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Toys "R" Us. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages

Toys "R" Us - online shipping method

The Toys R Us website is a complete joke! I purchased guitar hero 5 online since they stopped carrying this product for the Wii in store. Why? Because of the stupid gift card I had.

We were told the product would be shipped via UPS Standard Ground and received a UPS tracking number to track the package which we did. While tracking the package we saw the local ups facility had recived the the package and it was now on the truck and should be delivred that day. We waited around for it's delivery and when it did not come checked the ups tracking number and found the message ups attempted delivery but the address was vacant.

We verified the address with a phone call to ups and she gave some address we did not know. After speaking with a supervisor at ups we were told that the package was being delivered to a local post office and that they would deliver the item. [email protected]#$%! What? We were advised this is the method chosen by toys r us.

A call to toys r us and a conversation with a supervisor there we were advised this was the most cost effective way for them to deliver the item. I asked using a middle man? I indicated that there was nothing on their site that advised this and asked why bother providing a tracking number if its useless... Several weak apologies and that statements like this is the feedback we need to hear (all no doubt to make me feel like they would actually do something when she and I know they wont) There was never any attempt to satisy me like offering the amount for shipping back etc.

I advised they should tell me that the package would be handled by a third party or add some truth to shipping policy. I could have selected a faster method of shipping that actually was trackable so that I didn't lose time waiting on a package I would receive for several days. It's now the saturday before Easter so you know I won't be seeing that package until next week possibly tuesday!

I wanted not to receive the package and get a refund but was given some garbage about I have to receive it and they could email me return label. I was advised this would take at least 24 hours! Another cost saving measure I assume. She advised that sending an email is not just hitting a button! What type of email program are they using! That's exactly what email is!

S
1:57 pm

Toys "R" Us - advertising and pricing

Last night, I went to Toys R Us to buy the Power Wheels Lil Quad for my daughter. I had a 20% coupon I received in the mail. I was told that I could not use the coupon on this item. I bought it anyways for $99.99 and it is already out of the box and assembled. Today, I found out that Target has it for $59.99. Toys R Us had ripped me off. I called the store...

3:44 pm

Toys "R" Us - they should spend a couple of hours on teaching cashiers customer service basics

I went in to the gaithersburg md store today and without even an "im sorry" rude cashier "Bill" advised because my return was 2 days past 90 days, the defective toy could not even be exchanged for store credit. My receipt mind you had 15 other items on it because I spend so much money there every christmas, this toy was only one on which we spent over $300 this past christmas.

I have twin 6 year olds, have a lot more toys to buy before we send them off to college, and they will all be bought at target, walmart, or kmart from now on. Bad move Toys R Us, over $20!

Oh, and in reference to Bill and Karen on duty today, Perhaps during employee orientation a few hours should be spent teaching cashiers customer service basics, even if the answer is no, say it with a smile, not a sneer!

P
Oct 05, 2010 10:02 am

Totally agree with previous comments. Also, if you wanted to argue about the policy. "Bill" would not be the person to talk to. He has no control over changing the policies. I feel quite sorry for Bill and Karen for having to deal with someone the likes of you.

0 0

People like you are the reason why hate exists. The refund policy is on the back of the receipt. When I buy something and may need to return it later (gift, expensive item, etc) I put the must return by date on the receipt. Its not the cashier's fault. This is strictly YOUR FAULT.

If he let you return it two days after the return date, why not three or four or ten? Return policies are there for a reason. If you don't like it, don't buy anything.

I
4:06 pm

Toys "R" Us - unauthorized use of credit card/fraud

On December 9th, I placed an order with Toys R Us on-line. By the end of the day, I received an e-mail informing me that my order had been cancelled. I ran out after work and went to a local Toys R Us store to purchase the same items as my daughter had them on her Christmas list. On December 12th, I received another e-mail informing me of an error and that my items would be shipped out. I contacted Customer Service immediately and spoke with a representative by the name of Lisa. I explained the situation and Lisa assured me that the order would be cancelled. On December 13th I received another e-mail informing that my credit card had been charged and that three out of the four items that I had ordered had been shipped. Apparently customer service neglected to cancel ALL four of my items and only cancelled one. I was extremely upset that my credit card had been used after an order had been originally cancelled and believe this to be a great breach of trust.

After many frustrating conversations with Customer Service, I had the items returned and was assured that I would receive a credit reimbursement 5-10days after the item was received. This item was returned on December 14th, 2009.

On January 4th, 2010 I sent an e-mail to customer service advising that I was still awaiting confirmation for my reimbursement. I received a return e-mail asking that I wait 5-10business days as the item had not yet been received. On January 13th, 2010 I contacted Toys r Us customer service again and spoke with Daniel. She informed me that my item was actually received on December 21st. 2009, but had not been reimbursed. This was very upsetting for me. Not only was my credit card charged without my consent, but even after the items had been returned Toys r Us kept my money and neglected to reimburse me. I spoke with Cassandra, Guest Relations Manager, who was not helpful or even sympathetic to how stressful and unjust this situation has been. Cassandra assured me that I would get confirmation of reimbursement today, but I am still waiting. She also offered 10% off my next purchase. I find this offer insulting considering the hassle I have been through over the last month. This offer also does not address the interest that I have had on my credit card, or the countless hours I have spent on the telephone and writing e-mails to Toys r Us costumer service. It also seems very convenient that all offers and mistakes were made to benefit Toys r Us and NEVER the consumer. Offering discounts on a next purchase is unfair seeing as I have to RISK shopping with you again before getting the incentive to do so. I don’t take credit card protection lightly and the fact that this trust was abused without any regard for the impact that it has had on the consumer is simply negligent.

Again, I am absolutely horrified at lack of accountability and mismanagement on the part of Toys r Us. I have two young daughters and have purchased all of their toys, car seats, strollers, cribs, change tables etc. at Toys r Us, along with the Wii system and video games for my husband, but it appears that my business is not important or valued. Toys r Us has breached my trust and disrespected me as a consumer beyond repair and I write this letter simply to inform you that since my business is not valued, then I will take it else where. I will happily shop at Walmart, Sears and the Bay, along with other toy shops like Turtle Pond and Citizen Kid from now on.

Mar 04, 2012 10:02 am

Now you have learned the dangers of online shopping. But why should you stop shopping in store because of something that happened online?

9:49 am

Toys "R" Us - fraud/scam for applying for credit card in store

I was in NYC at the TRU in Times Square. Let me preface the situation by saying that I have prestine credit, lived in my home (that I own) for over 2 years, and had the same job for the last six years. Haven't applied for new credit in a while either. I even have a service to check my credit once a month. I wanted to buy the Disney pink laptop for my child while I was there.

The store clerk was nice. He asked if I would like to save 10% buy applying for a store card. I have been offered this by many stores, but always turn down the offer. However, this was a 350.oo purchase so I thought, "okay. 35.00 isn't a bad savings."
I give him my info. We wait a minute. Then he informs me that I was not approved because of some "verification issue". I was embarrassed to say the least...being turned at Toys R Us for store credit? Not to mention the other people standing in line and around me witnessing the event.

I let it go to a certain extent because I used my Amex instead. He handed me a brochure and said I could contact "Chase" to see what the problem might be. "Chase?" I thought, "I have a Chase credit card too." Strange...

So, two weeks go by and guess what I receive in the mail? A Toy R Us/Chase credit card with a $6000 limit with a $600 cash allowance! I called the NYC store and asked what the discount was again for purchases if you applied in the store. The GM replied VERY specifically that if you are approved "ON THE SPOT" it was a 10% discount. I asked how many customers where approved "ON THE SPOT" and how to find out that information. Of course there was not answer.

However, along with my new credit card I recieved a 10% coupon off my next purchase...how convienent!

R
Jul 21, 2010 10:02 am

I would notify Chase of the agreement between you and Toys R Us, and let them know that you only wanted the card under the circumstances explained to you by the rep at Toys R Us. If they don't work with you, contact the credit bureau and notify them of the situation and tell them you want the inquiry removed and that you received a credit card under false pretenses.

6:09 am

Toys "R" Us - toys r us is the worst ever

Toys R Us is the worst ever. I thought I purchased a new Play Station 2...When I opened it at home it was a used/broken one. I took it back immediately with receipt and they said, "tough luck." They basically accused me of making a switch. I spoke to a supervisor, manager, and someone in the corporate level. I was the victim here and was made out to be a criminal . It is criminal that they have my $140 and I have nothing. They treated me very rudely and had no concern on what happened to the merchandise somewhere along the way. The preferred to put the blame on me. I WILL NEVER SHOP THERE AGAIN AND WARN OTHERS NOT TO EITHER!

P
Mar 02, 2011 10:02 am

dont worry im another person who will never ever spent apenny of my hard earned cash in any toysrus store again, have big issue with o4 basildon essex england store .ps. very rude manager (chris sayer). customer services are useless, all staff are rude and they would do there self a favour by taking on some special needs staff. who might actually teach the [censor]s from shop floor/customer complaints some lessons.as all the through the lines of mangement .they are all totally useless.

3:59 pm

Toys "R" Us - false sale ad

Today actually toys r us was having there doorbuster sale. Now I have been waiting over 2 weeks for a certain toy to go on sale. I called everyday to the store about it being avaiable and every time the workers would ensure me that the toy is avaiable and would be on sale and it would be in stock. Anyways the sale started at 3pm and went to midnight. I went to toys r us at 2:30 to wait for the sale. By the time I got there the toy was gone. What they forgot to tell me was that the ad was WRONG the sale started at 9am then why does the sale ad SAY 3PM? Never the less i went somewhere else to get it and I got one. btw, no rainchecks and they only had 10 in stock. and i saw a women walking out of the store with 4 OF THEM. How can they let them do that! WHAT A JOKE!

Jan 19, 2010 10:02 am

yes when an ad is placed toys r us workers place the items on hold. It is false advertisement because at times the store only had 3 of the items for a week long sale. for the most part workers themselves take them for themselves and just say they are "sold out"

9:16 pm

Toys "R" Us - exchage

Someone gave my daughter as a gift diapers with the Toys R Us name brand. They did not give us a receipt and instead of being rude my daughter accepted them even though she knew they were the wrong size. A simple exchange we thought! Took the diapers to the store in Gainesville and they said it was company policy not to exchange without a receipt. We did not want money just the correct size diapers. They had no flexibility and when I called the company phone number they said the same thing. We wanted no money just the correct diapers. I don't think this organization cares about customers or customer service. The whole attitude was we don't care. I am never-ever going back to the place and I am going to tell everyone I know. As consumers why do we put up with this stuff? Sure I can understand not giving cash back with no receipt or even a store gift card. But just to not allow an exchange is just plan mean and hurtful. Basically no one cared that we had their product and couldn't use it. Instead of helping to make a loyal customer they blew it. I just don't think anyone we spoke to cared a bit about us. People deserve much better; we are human beings.

Feb 20, 2010 10:02 am

I had a similar experience regarding their disregard for customers. On 2/14/10 I purchased an item for my granddaughter's 5th birthday. When I got home she wanted something else, so with receipt in hand I returned to the store and I took her with me. (Iwish I hadn't) the experience was so traumatic, it ruined her birthday! I was told after waiting for the manager at the service desk for a while that the item could not be exchanged because the service clerk (Laura) claimed that the plastic around the item (Hannah Montana boombox) was ripped. Well I didn't rip it and the boxes are not sealed, so I am sure that it was ripped before I got it. I should have checked it, but who thinks of these things? The manage (Carlos) told me that their policy is not to exchange any electronics unless it is deffective and then they could only replace it with an identical item . What if one wants their money back? Well he said they do not do that. He was rude and uncaring, he made my granddaughter cry unconsolably. The are uncaring, they are not kid-friendly at all! You would think that they would have personnel that understood and cared about children! I ended up being stuck with the boomboc ($46.00) and purchased another item to console my little granddaughter. They ruined my day and her birthday! They should somehow be accountable. I emailed their customer service, but they closed the case saying they "were sorry, but" and they did nothing about it. They just do not care!

Toys "R" Us - harassment

Be aware if you go to work for Toys-R-Us, you will not be protected from workplace violence! I have been an honest and hard-working employee with no complaints on my record. I was verbally attacked and threatened by a co-worker while the store manager and an assistant manager just looked on. I was on-the-clock and she was off when this took place. We are primarily evening workers and work 3 to 4 nights a week together, when I told management that I was uncomfortable working with such a volatile individual ("POSTAL"), I was told that if I was uncomfortable working with her that my hours would be cut, not hers (?) What is this about? This same employee has had multiple confrontations with many employees (sometimes in front of customers) including two managers and nothing is done to her; she gets rude with customers and still nothing is done! Isn't this considered "Workplace Bullying" or "Workplace Harassment", both of which are illegal for her to do and illegal for Toys-R-Us Management and H.R. to ignore? What is it going to take, someone getting permanently injured or killed for Management to take this serious and take action? Enough said for Toys-R-Us!

T

Response to Stealth Pilot: I did contact the police and was threatened by Manager and two H.R. Managers to be fired if I filed a restraining order on the attacking individual as I was instructed to do by the police dept'! I truly believe that this individual has some "Juicy Gossip" about the corporation to be allowed to get away with this violence over and over!

Aug 04, 2010 10:02 am

Sadly, this above comment is pretty much the norm for how TRU treats their employees. For the first month or so, everyone is nice and treats you with respect. However, once you've been there long enough and find yourself feeling left off the Store Managers list of top suck-ups, it's time to look for a different job. The only time I'd actually recommend working there is around Christmas as a seasonal employee if you're desperate enough to need a couple paychecks that don't even come close to compensating you for the amount of work and time you put in.

-Mephisto

Oct 30, 2009 10:02 am

I just started working there, and liked it until now. I have availability, which they have honored but recently I was scheduled weird hours off my availability. I share a car, and feel it is not worth minimum wage to screw up my and roommates' schedules, but I am open 6am to 11pm, which according to them was fine when I started.

I asked about maybe starting at a time an hour later then scheduled and staying extra (which I almost always do because I like to help out and finish what I am working on), and the response was that my job is now "in the air". I explained my reasoning, which then it got too personal. My roommate is working on his PHD, and we live in a college town, so we both aren't rich and we are doing fine sharing a car. I explained this and how economical it is, to which the manager responded, "people in this town have cars, if not, they don't have a job and shouldn't interfere with your work productivity". He then went on to say how I shouldn't be involved with such people, and how most are losers. He apparently "knows people in college, and they have cars". I felt backed into a corner and insulted, not a good experience AT ALL. Living in a college town means many people live in dorms and such within walking distance, it was just ridiculous for him to make such claims while at the same time personally attacking me and my friends. I would not advise working here, some of the people are great and can be fun to work with but managers from what I understand can be total ###s. A girl stood behind him the whole time had a WTF look on her face and after told me not to worry about it and how I was a good worker and he was being an ###.

I've dealt with difficult managers at my last job, but every time it was resolved and I never carried any sort of grudges. It never got personal or felt like I was actually being attacked, this is different, and I am seriously considering filing a report.

3:47 pm

Toys "R" Us - overcharged

I ordered goods from Toys R Us online and was horrified to be charged a "remote & rural surcharge" of £5.00 on top of normal delivery charge of £4.95. I use internet shopping frequently and this is the first time I have been charged this surcharge. Even more surprising is that I live in Aberdeen, well linked by air, rail and road. I contacted all the couriers that Toys R Us use, and they all told me that it was Toys R Us who charged me this surcharge and that they would not have charged me this as I live in a main UK city. What annoys me even more is that their Aberdeen store is a 10min walk from my house, but the store did not have the goods I wanted in stock. I have contacted Toys R Us several times to get the surcharge refunded but they refuse. They have not replied to my last 2 requests.

Jul 22, 2009 10:02 am

I went to Toys R Us on "Black Friday" and attempted to buy the First Act 5 piece Drum Set listed in their Sales flier for $49.99. When I got to the register the item rang up $99.99. I was told the drum set I had was not the one that was on sale. I asked to be shown to the one that was on sale and was taken to a drum set that was not even near the other First Act items in the store and the set I was given was a 4 piece set. I pointed out that the ad was for a 5 piece set and the clerk said that the ad must be a misprint. I said that they should honor the ad and then correct the problem but the clerk and a manager refused to do it. I went in to the store at 1pm, they had been open since 5am and had hours to correct this. I believe they placed the more expensive set where it could be seen and wanted people to purchase it and not get the sale price. I purchased the more expensive set anyway since it was the one in the ad and told the clerk I would be contacting the corprate office to complain. When I called the customer service rep took my nam and phone number and said a supervisor would call me back since the store would not honor an ad price. I was contacted back by a supervisor within 30 minutes. The supervisor said he could see the error and it was on their website also and he said he was sorry for the confusion but all he would do was call the store and have them hold the less expensive set and I could go back and return mine and purchase the cheaper one for the sale price. I am not satisfied with their response and feel they should honor their ads or place a retraction in the store when the problem is noticed, not wait hours and refuse to honor prices when they know their ads, store signs, and website are misleading.

K
Dec 03, 2009 10:02 am

I went to toysrus on black Friday and was charged three times for one purchase. I called toyrus and all week long and still haven't receive a refund. When they claim to refund me they actually debit my account again. I am so upset about this and will never use my ccredit card at toyrus again. I also feel that VACU didn't help the matter at all.

Aug 30, 2009 10:02 am

Frequently sale items on black friday that are seen as being popular are set in the front of the store or throughout the race track as to make it more accessable to the customer. You would have noticed that other customers found the on sale set easily and seen the large sign saying it was on sale when you were shown where it was.

Aug 05, 2009 10:02 am

You got what you wanted, right? What else did you want the CSR to do, beg for forgiveness at your feet?

H

Toys "R" Us - refused check

I tried to write a check at toys r us on 10-14-09 for $20.57 and it was declined by certegy and the slip I was given states I have a nsf check, which I do not, this was very embarrassing. I have tried to contact certegy and get only a recorded message which is no help at all. (Two different toll free numbers.) I have never had anything like this happen in my 50 plus yrs writing checks and don`t understand how someone can do this. I had written 3 seperate checks the same day with no issues? From what I see from other complaints I have read I think its time we all get together and seek legal action to get this stopped. You are runing good peoples names who have done nothing but work hard and try to follow the rules of society. I want this resolved now...

Aug 10, 2012 10:02 am

I try to pay with a check on [protected] and my check was decline. The supervisor try for around 40 minutes to comunicate to find out the origin of the problem, never was able to get thru, I would really would like to know where to comunicate to find out and resolve this problem which was not a very nice experinece. As soon as possible

Oct 11, 2010 10:02 am

Your complaint is with certegy not Toys R Us. Many retailers use certegy and have to go by what they say. I myself had used a check in a store and it was denied; the reason I was told was because I don't write checks that often.

1:08 pm

Toys "R" Us - awful, awful, awful

My daughter bought a bike and within the first week its been back several times, the last time because the disk brakes seized up throwing her off the bike! On asking for her money back she was refused, with two managers shouting at her in front of other customers and saying there was NO fault and she would be getting no refund. On showing the managers a print out from trading standards, my daughter was also told, " that means nothing to us!" ( obviously their shop staff are mechanics as well as 'well briefed' on the sale of goods act !) so now its now in the hands of trading standards.

Personally, i'll be giving this shambolic bunch of numpties a miss in future! Don't go there, they couldn't organise a bun fight in a bakery!

Jan 19, 2010 10:02 am

This was wrong by the part of the managers but i believe you may i ask what city the store is in so i can try to return a bike i bought and they will sure meat their match.

1:01 pm

Toys "R" Us - stay away

I ordered a Fisher Price Smart Cycle for my 4 yr old grandson from Toys R Us on Dec, 2 2007 and received a Fisher Price House Learning Home for a 1 yr old child on December 10, 2007. I called ToysRus and they admitted sending the wrong order but I was told I had to return the item and I would be charged the cost on my credit card until the merchandise received had been returned. I was also told the item originally ordered would be an additional charge to my credit card in the same amount and the item would not be guaranteed for Christmas delivery. I told the "extremely" rude customer rep that those terms were not acceptable to me and requested to speak to her supervisor, I was hung up on. I cannot afford to add an additional $120 to my credit card without an immediate refund from this company. I requested they deliver the correct item and pick up the one they sent in error but that request was refused.

I hope something can be done about this and I am stunned that a company like Toys R Us can adhere to such a shameful customer service policy. After all, the mistake was theirs and I have email documents to confirm my order.

Think twice before you use this company.

Nov 30, 2010 10:02 am

yeah so I'm writing again to wanr anyone away from buying anything from Fisher Price that place is such a goddam ripoff. I bought my kid a pirate ship that [censor]ing broke before I could put it together and they blamed me for braking it. So I called and called them and wrote in everywhere I [censor]ing could and what do you know? They decide to send me another piece of [censor] ship that misisng the mast piece that broke on the first one? Son of a [censor], I am not [censor]ing kidding you. I am so pissed. its such a piece of [censor] company and the [censor]ing stores that sell them do not deal with them they are just [censor]ing with you.

Nov 22, 2010 10:02 am

Obviously too late for this consumer, but if anyone else has a similar issue arise, just file a dispute directly with your credit card company. Most of the large CC companies are VERY good at getting action from bad retailers. I had a retailer trying to rip me off, one call from the credit card company to the retailer, and they realized/agreed that the customer service guy was being a complete jerk, and refunded me immediately. Said I didn't even have to return the item because I had tried in good faith to get the retailer's error resolved, and the retailer had refused and said I was stuck with the (error) item. I got my money back (via the credit card dispute process) and was able to buy the right item from another retailer!

3:24 pm

Toys "R" Us - gift card fraud

We purchased a gift card for a baby shower from Babies R Us for a cousin. She went on a shopping spree and then got up to the cash register to purchase and the card had a zero balance. She had to pay out of her own pocket after spending hours shopping and then let us know.

We were embarassed and immediately contacted the store we had purchased it and found out from the manager that this had happened a couple times lately. He told us to fax the receipt and we got a case number on August 4, 2009. I immeidately called and asked for a refund but was told that it had to be investigated by the fraud department and they would get back to us in 7-10 days. I spoke to a manager and was told the case would be expedited.

I called back on the 13th and was told that I needed to wait 7-10 days and I counted out the days to show her that it was already over 7 days. She then said it would be 10-14 days and her manager agreed. I called back on the 19th and was told there were no updates. I called the store manager again and he said he would try to escalate this and call me on the 21st. No call back.

I spoke to another csr today and was told no info and she would redtag my case. I had asked for this repeatedly and was assured on all previous calls that this was being done.

So finally I searched online and saw that this is an ongoing issue with Toyrus/BabiesRus. I guess the only way to get attention is calling corporate, so come Monday that's what I'll do. This is the last gift card I'll ever buy, and definitely no more ToysRus.

Sep 03, 2009 10:02 am

Same experience same nightmare. I found my card been fraud at the end of July, until now the case is still hanging around. Don't know what to trust babiesrus.

7:47 pm

Toys "R" Us - stay away

On June 2009 we went into this Toys R Us store to exchange 2 small items which were given to my son as a birthday gift on Monday. We were informed that Toys R Us has a new exchange policy. The policy states that if a customer does not have a receipt that they cannot make any exchange. I understand that a company needs to protect themselves from fraud. But at what cost? We were not asking for a big favor, Just to be respected and not treated as criminals. We were told the items were purchased at Toys R Us by the gift givers. But this new policy in effect calls us liars. What a poor customer service policy. I will tell everyone I know about my experiences at Toys R Us. The long standing quote of, "Make 1 customer happy, he may tell 5 people. Make him unhappy, he will tell 500" is very true. I am well on my way. I will never purchase anything from this place and will verbally make others also aware of this.

S
Sep 27, 2013 10:02 am

I work at toys r us and have for a couple of months. Not a supervisor, just a normal hourly employee. Just putting that out there. This is from myself as a snarky person, not as an employee.
First, everywhere requires a receipt to make returns and exchanges. Whats the problem here?
Second, A gift receipt is printed off automatically specifically for instances where an item is bought as a gift and might be returned by the recipient. If you didn't get that gift receipt then take it up with the gift giver.
Third, "At what cost"? Really? I challenge you to go into any store and attempt to return something without a receipt. You will but unable to do so in many of them my friend.
Fourth, you are not being treated as a criminal. Just as a customer without a receipt. 90% of employees will try to help you as much as they can. 50% will still try to help you if you get an attitude with them.
Finally, was this really all it took to make you stop going there?

Dec 29, 2010 10:02 am

Ha! Its sooo funny how all of these comments sound like associates at Toys R us. Yes, I had the same problem and all I wanted to do was exchange a size 12 months to a 24 month size because my One Year old got that size for his birthday and was not even close to that size lol! I will also never shop there and it was for a 15 dollar item. I have 2 children and buy everything at Target or Walmart! They have lost me as a customer 3 years ago and I am sure others. My kids are 6 and 4 and I am still buying toys... but not from Toys R us LOL!

Nov 08, 2009 10:02 am

I totally agree with you :) they should change the policy because they are threating customers like criminals and blaming supervisors for overriding merchandise we are not suppose to. As my own discretion I did overrided recently a BIG purchase for a GIFT RECEIPT from $39.99 to $59.99 the customer didn't have the original receipt and there is not way for me to know how much she paid for this item. I even called support and my boss they both agree to do it. I'm a new supervisor with NO USER/PASSWORD FOR THE SINGLE SIGN ON/COSA TOYS R US SYSTEM THAT ALLOW ME TO SEARCH FOR THE ORIGINAL RECEIPT NOT MATTER WHAT STORE THEY PURCHASE THE ITEM FROM.

For the store and I have 16+years of Customer Service Experience, I wasn't even aware of how to do the overrided I have a support manager over the phone saying NO then I have a Higher Manager saying yes overrided even without the original receipt and give her store credit. Believe it or not I DID IT, I made her happy, she got more than just a customer service, she got her way. For over an hour I spoke to 2 people bosses over the phone weather or not I should go forward or refuse the transaction while my child 4 1/2 year old and my husband waited for me in the cold outside for me to go home because the customer refuse to go to the store that she purchase the merchandise from AFTER I GAVE HER STORE CREDIT customer still was MAD at me because she wanted me to listen to her long sad history about death people somewhere where she needed to travel and i'm making her late.

OMG what a drama I recall the fact my husband and my child waiting for me outside to please to leave because for over an hour 15 minutes store has been already closed. Customer have serious mental issue problems. She turned around finally left not without calling my boss and she sent her this long nasty e-mail about my poor customer service believe or not after I went over store policies. A lot of customer doesn't realized behing that register there is a human been with kid, husband, a mom, dad waiting for your SUPPORT $$$$.

And rather than gattering the facts of the incident, you get fired/verbal warned or been yell for something they even told you to do it at the first place. I guess you can't make people happy mean while there is a 4 1/2 child who won't have any christmas gifts beacuse mommy got fired for doing the right thing, pleasing the customer!

H
Oct 21, 2009 10:02 am

All I can say is, try being the customer service associate responsible for telling many, many nice people that we could not return merchandise without a receipt. The company changed the policy, and we spend the months of December and January getting cussed out on a daily basis. We would much rather just give a merchandise credit than tell everyone "no!" After Christmas, I would have to go stand in the break room and try not to cry just for doing my job. Everyone needs to just step back and realize that jobs are hard to come by now, and people are willing to do what the company tells them in order to keep their job. Don't take things out on the little people. And management is more likely to bend the rules when you are polite and reasonable. On that note, I worked 7 Christmases at TRU and probably won't go back because of this. And give gift receipts people! Even Wal-mart only does 3 returns without a receipt a year per customer.

Aug 30, 2009 10:02 am

The policy of a receipt with purchase has been in effect for the last eight years at toys r us. The only thing new about the policy was that you had less time to return things and in private a manger could over- ride anything and give you store credit at their discretion. Which they are happy to do when they feel it deserved.

Aug 22, 2009 10:02 am

lol...omg you need a receipt anywhere. What is your major malfunction.

3:32 am

Toys "R" Us - punished for reporting abuse

I work as a stocker at toys r us. I've never had a problem with my fellow associates until last season. For two months I was continually on a daily basis humiliated, harassed, cursed at, stolen from, had my things destroyed or broken, and made fun of. I reported again and again to my manager what was going on. Others seeing what was happening reported the abuse as well. We were all told that the case was being reported and filed, and would be taken care of. Finally one night one of the seasonal crew threatened to rape and murder me and laughed as he walked away. At that point I was broken and asked to be let go. The manager begged me to stay and said she would see to it he was gone by the end of break, I agreed to stay for the managers sake only. At the end of break I was called into the office and told he was just joking around and since no one heard or saw a thing nothing could be done. Then the supervisor told me that "I had to admit with the kind of girl I am I deserved what I got." for a week none of the other seasonal crew bothered me, but the one who had threatened me. He would push my freight off the pallets. Dump my shelves onto the floor, throw cans at me at the bus stop as I waited for my bus, petty small things. He finally pushed my freight off the pallet in front of me, and I snapped and yelled not to touch my freight rapist. At which point I was reprimanded, and told that he was innocent of any wrong-doing, it was my fault and I could't say anything to him at all. I at that point left the building. When I returned as the store opened, I went to see our h. R. Person. I was under the impression that the situation had been reported to her. I was wrong. She was stunned at what I told her was going on. She said this was the first she had heard of any problem among the over-night crew, and she could't believe this was happening to me, as I was crying, and I am known as the "happy" person in the store. Always smiling upbeat, get the job done kind of girl. After being assured that she would take care of everything and to just go home and take a day off I went to collect my things when I noticed my bag had been ransacked. Someone had stolen my ds and several games out of the managers office. As the store had opened but minutes ago I knew it had to have been stolen by one of the over-night workers. When I asked to see the tape I was denied and told there was no concrete proof on who took it, neither would they ask the workers to turn there pockets out before the exited the store. Nothing came of my complaints. I was removed from over night. Losing the extra pay that comes with working over-night, half the hours I regularly work, and I was humiliated. The crew was told I was removed as the problem and it was all my fault. The ones who haressed me for months as well as the one who threatened me faced no repercussions at all. They retained there job, the money and the extra hours. I was teased by the mangers with the idea that they would replace my ds, which is all I really wanted, but finally a month ago I was told that wasn't going to happen. Since season ended my hours have not improved at all. I have regularly been ten hours under other employees with half the experience of me, which is a regular tatic og toy r' us to get rid of people insted of firing them as that looks bad. It got so bad I had to get a second job. Now with season almost upon us again it has been let slip that I am to continue to be punished, by not being allowed on the night shift, while new stockers who don't do there job right will be. Thus once more I will be losing money and hours, something I can't afford. Toys r us has gotten away with what happened to me. I was unfairly punished for defending myself. Put into a situation of a unsafe work place. I still have nightmares over what those guys did to me, and to this day I don't like being alone around men I dont know. I can only hope that this dosent happen to anyone else.

May 10, 2009 10:02 am

Tried to return an unopened Serpent of Doom that was a Birthday Gift and was told that without a receipt they could do nothing. Not exactly something I want my kid playing with and I have never heard of a company with such a stupid return policy! Will not ever buy from again...NOTHING!

K
Mar 07, 2011 10:02 am

Toys R Us is getting totally out of hand with the way they treat their employees tht was very inappropriate and i really wish you could report it to the corporate.

F
Jul 13, 2010 10:02 am

Brenda cursing at them.she yells and humilates them. then she comes back on the intercom and thanks them for being a great team This lady is psycho her treatment of her people are ridiculs. She torments people and make them live by fear and not by self worth. she purposely is intimidating and then switchs back to being nice. Then she wants respect but do not allow you to voice your opinions. many are afraid that their jobs will be cut. she is awful.Pwople start at toys happy then after she yells at them the moral and motivation is gone and people leave.

F
Jul 13, 2010 10:02 am

brenda hopkins does this to associates all the time at her store in Dothan, al.

Feb 10, 2010 10:02 am

Were told to go through are proper channels. Supervisor, assistant manager, H.R. person. And that by that point it would be resolved. But as so often happens, the subject is brushed under the carpet. Did you know that if a store has something like what happened to me on their record they get fined, the manager has to sit through all kinds of confrences to "figure" out what went wrong. Finally if you cant get any satisfaction in the store you call the 1 800 number. Where they say they will do something, but that of course dosent stop the repurcussions coming back on you for getting corporate involved. Eventually you will find that your hours keep getting reduced to alomost nothing till you get so frustrated that u quit. Which is of course there ideal situation. Or eventualyy youll find your self fired for some stupid misdemenoar. Soemthing so dumb that it would be riduculous to fire u over... like say, not smiling and wishing the store manager a good morning:)

T

I totally know what you are talking about; I was verbally assaulted and threatened by a co-worker while the store manager and an assistant manager just looked on. I was on-the-clock and she was off when this took place, yet I was told that if I was uncomfortable working with her that my hours would be cut, not hers (?) What is this about? This same employee has had multiple confrontations with a lot of employees (and two managers) and nothing is done to her; isn't this considered "Workplace Bullying" or "Workplace Harassment", both of which are illegal for her to do and illegal for Toys-R-Us Management and H.R. to ignore? Enough said for Toys-R-Us!

Aug 13, 2009 10:02 am

honestly you should just quit. i understand that with whats going on thats not an option. but if your hr person is that clueless you need to get out. nobody deserves to be treated that way.

May 10, 2009 10:02 am

you've never heard of a company requiring a receipt to get a refund? I am very surprised you know how to operate a computer.

D

Toys "R" Us - misrepresenting of products, and overcharging, emotionally abusive towards costumers with children

i went with my son to toys r us to buy a wii game system.earlier we saw a promotional offer, upon returning we inquired about said offer (wii system 20 dollar gift card and 2 free accessories-25 dollar value) the gentleman in that department did not no what the accessories were, he called the front desk and and you could hear the lady reply"they don't know what there talking about"so the gentle man said choose an accessory, so i grabbed a paddle and proceeded to pay for it and so it didn't ring up right., so the lady from up front came to assist, she disclosed that it wasn't the right accessory and showed me paddle cases, by this time other customers are starting to inquire, and i pointed out that the ad didn't say what accessories it was .and at that time another customer said heres a wii sign with accessories listed on it, by then the store manager intervened and stated only these items [paddle cases] and then I said your ads don't say which items, and then she snapped at me and said these items do you want it[it scared a child of another customer] i replied you don't have to snap at me she did apoligize, i then asked for the number to your corporate office and she gave me it along with her name.three other customers gave me there names and wanted to complain as well the father of the frightened child ..so i proceded to buy it as my son was looking forward to it, after ringing it up i look at my receipt i'm overcharged 21.88 i point this out so they try again and so they try to hand me 1.88 and this isn't right so they try again and hand me 20.07 this isn't right, i say you forgot the tax, finally over an hour later and pressured into an accessory i didn't need i finally got out the door.

11:49 pm

Toys "R" Us - toys r us heath insurance scam

Toys r us retains the right to not provide any documentation for the health insurance enrollment. Yes that's right.in fact they don't even have to tell you who the insurance company is, or how much its going to cost. I recently contacted toys r us regarding there open enrollment. I was told I would have to join before I could get any of thi...

9:53 pm

Toys "R" Us - JJ

On Tuesday May 5, 2009, I had the opportunity to visit store #8830 to purchase my son a gift. Once we picked a toy, the salesman (Amohd) was great. He gave us an opportunity to test the New Powering Scooter (845423002107) out, which was great. He assisted me to the checkout counter. The cahier was also great and polite. I asked her did they offer military discount. Being that she was unfamiliar with it, she then asked the manager on duty (JJ). Over the walkie talkie he responded "yeah if they work for toys r us and in the military". That comment was inappropriate and unprofessional of him. A simple yes or no would of suffice.

10:41 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Toys "R" Us - rude clerks... lack of in-store stock... online ordering a nightmare

Every time I have tried to order from their website they end up removing things that were labeled as "in-stock on-line" from my cart AFTER finalizing payment, most often with promotional offers or specials like free shipping. How can they let you go through several supposed real-time checkpoints in the process and not know they do not have the item or at...

Toys "R" Us contacts