Telkom Mobile / fraud/identity theft

South Africa Review updated:

A cell phone account and new phone was obtained in my house keepers name. On requesting a copy of the fraudulent application form and fraudulent ID document, used to obtain the cell phone we were told that this information is Telkom Mobile's intellectual property and that we should just hand it over to an ID protection service and forget it even happened. We have been to the police station locally (Douglasdale) and were told by the Captain there that we MUST get copies of these documents in order to open a case of fraud and identity theft. According to Telkom Mobile we are not entitled to this information as it does not belong to us but rather to them. We think that this is a smokescreen that large companies like Telkom use in order to get business and clients and that they do not care and protect the individual in an incidence like this and want answers as to WHY and WHO they think they are, and that my housekeepers consumer rights have been disregarded, very private information leaked and her name and identity falsely used. We want the perpetrators of this crime to be dealt with swiftly. We want her name CLEARED moving forward. She is being "punished" by society for being an honest, responsible, proudly South African citizen. It seems to us that liars, thieves, sum of the earth get more protection than people like her. This is WRONG and this country should be ashamed and should be doing their best to PROTECT their people and not the opposite.

Ta
Aug 7, 2013

Comments

• Re
      31st of Aug, 2015

I cancelled my contract in May. My contract still has not been cancelled, and "Telkom Mobile" refuses to refund me for the months that I didn't want.