Target / forced to accept gift card at return

1 Gaithersburg, MD, United States Review updated:

My email to Target:I bought items- sub-total was $59.36 with $2.97 tax & $3.00 store coupon. Total was $62.33. After a $10.00 pharmacy gift card, I paid $52.33. I later returned the $24.89 item with the receipt. INSTEAD of a refund of this amount, I was given another stupid gift card and a credit of $16.14 to my credit card. The clerk was rude. She said the "computer" did it and she couldn't change it. I asked to speak to a manager and she said she was a manager. This is one of the reasons I rarely shop at Target even though the store is close to my home and work. I feel like you stole $10 of my refund and held it hostage. I am too busy to carry around and try to remember to redeem a gift card. I hate the things and I don't want to use them. I want an explanation and I want this garbage to stop. It's wrong.

Their "canned" "useless" reply did not address my complaint: Dear Target Guest,

I'm glad you've taken the time to write us about your return experience. We're sorry you didn't receive the type of service you've come to expect at Target.

We know the importance of having well-trained and professional team members. And I know it can be frustrating if you receive inconsistent information about our return policy.

I'd like to assure you that the team member attitude you described isn't part of our guest service philosophy. Hearing your comments is very important to us and I've shared them with the Gaithersburg Store Leadership team for further review.

Our Guest Experience Leadership team is dedicated to providing you with the service you deserve. If you ever have any questions or concerns about our merchandise or services, please visit Guest Service and speak with the Guest Service Team Leader. They'll do their best to help you. You can also call our Guest Relations team at [protected]. Either way, we're here to help!

Thanks for helping us make Target even better.

Sincerely,

Marisa
Target Guest Relations
www.target.com
[THREAD ID:1-5AUG0W]

I won't go their again.

Comments

• Sl
      22nd of Jul, 2009

This complaint is exactly right...I bought an item and never used it or even took it out of the box. When i finally had time to look at it I found out it was the wrong thing. I took the item, WITH the receipt, back to target, they told me the item was bought over 90 days ago and the receipt has expired. Who ever heard of such a stupid rule!!! So 89 days and all is OK but 91 days and forget it???? I was even willing to work with them and accept a gift card but again they said "computer won't let me do it".
    I can't understand how a store that is still selling this very item, I have a receipt & I'm willing to take a gift card, that I didn't want and should not have had to take, would not work with me. The customer service people were rude and uncaring.
    I requested a manager and things just got worse. All she did was give me a 1-800-303-0308 number to call. I called and got no where with the customer service rep and then again the manager. Then I found out I was calling New Deli, India. How can anyone in India help me in Pennsylvania???? This was just getting worse and I was not getting any answers.
    So I waited a few days and tried again to return the item to the store with different customer service people on duty. This time WITHOUT the receipt, said it was a gift and I didn't want it. Without any problem at all the same computers worked and item was returned.
    I learned my lesson!! If you tell target the truth the computers don't work but if you tell them what they want to hear the computers work!!!
    TARGET you need to STOP that 90 day expired receipt concept. If someone has a receipt and you have the item on your shelves there should be NO reason that item can not be returned. People need every dollar they work for these days and this is just robbery!!!
    Shame on you...and I hope to see a change in store policy soon!!!
    Please everyone who agrees with this let Target know.