State Farm / They canceled a retired agent and sent a form letter

I've been a State Farm Client for 50 years without break. I was a State Farm employee for 5 years then a State Farm agent for 29 years. State Farm has announced they are cancelling my condo policy and sent me an impersonal form letter with many mistakes in it. Most of my fellow retired State Farm associates have dropped State Farm for better companies. I was always pro-State Farm, but find they are too Rusted (president is Ed Rust Jr, who couldn't hold his father's pants up) for business. They have done most everything they could to irritate clients, screw the public and raise premiums. I am totally disgusted with State Farm, my former high mark company.

Va

Comments

• Sc
      27th of Sep, 2008

Sept 2008, the giant storm that swept across the US left a giant tree on my house. State farm took my claim, gave me a claim number, offered to pay for hotel for my family, and then when i accepted the offer, they said they had cancelled me in July. Well that was news to me! While fighting with them and going over every piece of correspondance from them, I realized that not only were they full of crap and couldn't prove anything they said, but also that I had been paying a whole bunch of money to insure a TOTAL STRANGER'S VEHICLE on my auto policy too!!!
    Once faced with these inconceivable mistakes, they not only DIDNT offer me a refund, but continued to try to NOT pay my homeowner's claim. I fought bitterly with them while my walls were exposed to the elements and my wires were ripped down..up until the day their executive manager of the region only apologized for the customer service rep giving me a claim number!!
    Once I called the number for the US Dept of Insurance, and told them the situation..I miraculously got a call from their underwriting department (who was previously very hostile) offering to "reinstate" my policy and take care of my claim.
    Guess it takes an investigator from the NATIONAL government on their ### to get them to do the very most basic thing...pay for the damage that I paid them to cover. Isn't that what "insurance" means?? I am still, however, waiting for this to actually HAPPEN. In the meantime, we had to find someone on our own to clear away the debree and nail some wood over the open holes in my house and roof.
    Can't wait to see what stupid things they say next.

• Ga
      29th of Oct, 2009

I thought they were a good company also, UNTIL they cancelled my policy on a rental. They said I had not sent in pictures of the water heater and electrical panel. This was the first I knew that wanted the pictures. The idiots also sent a cancelation letter to my mortgage provider!

• Wp
      1st of Apr, 2010

Gary...blame your agent. They are notified by the company when pictures are required, and they are supposed to make an appointment with you to take them.

• 4s
      2nd of Jun, 2011

Try calling state farm on a claim it is laughable!

• 4s
      2nd of Jun, 2011

I have had State Farm Insurance for over 30 years! I am firing them. They are so disorganized they can not answer the phone, or answer a question! I am not referring to the agents I am referring to the damn claims departments that are hundreds of miles away. I am certain that not one person in that place is EVER held accountable for their work. On top of that the same "central" location will mail out 10 letters to you on the same day and they swear they are a "green" company. Puhleeze!

• In
      10th of Dec, 2012

When you purchase a policy, you are setting up a contract for the company to insure you. The reason that a payment MUST be taken, even before the policy is underwritten, is because as of that moment, you are insured. Once an agent BINDS coverage, that's it. If you made a mistake and set up insurance, while staying with your current company, then that falls on you. An insurance company can't give you free insurance while you make up your mind. Next time, make sure you make an informed decision.
    Now, to correct the issue. You should have been able to show State Farm proof of insurance, so that they could have given you a full refund once the policy was issued.