Shopper's Drug Martdispensing fee on epipens

I went to Shopper's Drug Mart at the beginning of the school year to purchase 4 Epipen Juniors for daughter who has severe anaphylactic reactions to nuts (for her classroom, her school bag, her after school care, my purse). When I went to pick it up, I saw that they were $147 each. I asked the pharmacist what the dispensing fee at Shopper's was. She said, "$10.22, " which is on par with other pharmacies. When I went home, i saw that one of the Epipens expired in 6 months, and another in 8 months. So, they didn't even give me Epipens that would have lasted me a year. When I called them to complain, they said that it's too late since I already left the pharmacy with the medications and that they couldn't give my money back or give me another Epipen that would have lasted a year. Later, I spoke with a pharmacist friend who said that a her pharmacy, the usual cost for Epipens is only $100. I called Shopper's back and asked them specifically what the dispensing fee on Epipens were.. and they said that Shoppers will always charge the maximum dispensing fee allowable by the government, and for injectables, that fee is $50. When I told him that the other Shoppers pharmacist told me that it was only $10.22, he said that what she said might be technically true, but that they would have "up-charged" the medication by $40, and then added the $10.22 dispensing fee. At this point, I was infuriated. By the way, I didn't get any counselling or any extra information that would have justified the EXTRA fee. All they did was slap on a sticker. This is ridiculous. I also don't understand why there isn't a clear break-down for the consumers of what exactly is the price of the medication and what is the cost of the dispensing fee. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Comments

• Te
      Sep 26, 2012

Oh, one more comment. The pharmacist actually convinced me that I couldn't obtain all my Epipens at once because it might "make the insurance company suspicious" and said that I should get them a separate occasions (even one day apart, he said). Later, I realized that if I had gotten all 4 at once, they could only charge me one dispensing fee of $50 as opposed to 4 SEPARATE dispensing fees of $50 each.

• Te
      Sep 27, 2012

Yes, thanks, i know that too. But i was upset that they would even give me an epipen that would be expiring in 6 months.

Oct 23, 2017

I see this manipulation of facts allthe time in order to increase fees and get more money. I called the pharmasist out last night for it and said fix it. Today I spoke with my doctor and she agreed that the script was how I understood it, not how they altered it. Pharmasist said he would remedy the issue last night, called tonight and he repeated the SAME bs. Did nothing. I pointed out that we discussed it. I want it fixed. They have me getting scripts every two weeks. More fees. And to boot, they can never find my stuff, never have it in stock, and screw up each one. Between hubby and I, we are talking 20 meds! Tonight I called. Made sure emerg med was ready and it was. Hubby worked 18 hour day, he gets there and the person in Front of him had their script messed up. The guy left the counter to remedy it and mine was ready to just be picked up. Paid already. 2 seconds. My hubby has been there 30 minutes!!! Is still there. He is exhausted. I am so far past angry I can't see straight. This is EVERY time we go. I chose them due to his hours (24hr store) and them being 18 km away. I am dumb.
    Fire and fury coming next!
    You need to contact the head office for shoppers.
    Scream. Contact me. I will help! unlike.[protected]@gmail.com

• Ke
      Nov 02, 2017

Shoppers Drug Mart is now working on a 13 month a year payment schedule, seeing as the government pays me on a 12-month pay schedule I am expected to pick up the tab for Shoppers Drug Mart new sleazy payment schedule, you can tell the little weezel in accounting that this won't work with me I am on to your sleazy cash grab and will move my account to a more reputable firm. Are you so hard up for cash that you have to do this drive by cash grab on seniors that are already economically stressed out to the max tell the guy in accounting to get a life and do honest work instead of mugging the seniors like the government is already doing, Shame on you Shoppers Drug Mart you are despicable your business ethics are clearly in question?