Sears / rebate fraud

1 Woodstock, GA, United States Review updated:

I entered information for my rebate ($250.00) on the website for the purchase of an Electrolux Dual Fuel Range ($2499.99). Due to the large amount of this rebate, I closely watched the updates status on the website. All of a sudden, the rebate was denied due to me taking a 12 month no-interest SEARS account option for purchase (this was recommended by the sales rep for additional savings - not to affect my rebate). No where in the terms and conditions for the rebate was this a disqualifying condition. Then I called the rebate center phone number [protected] (which was hard to find) and gave them my info. They stated that I had applied for a rebate program H090070 that was different than the one on my sales receipt [protected]. Here's the catch, I did NOT enter the rebate program ID when I entered the information on the website originally. They asked for the sales receipt#, transaction#, register#, etc (all the qualifying info printed on the sales receipt to locate the transaction). They (mySearsRebates.com) computer system assigned the bogus rebate program ID, not using the one in the purchase transaction record - therefore I was NOT qualified for my valid rebate according to their records under the incorrect Rebate ID#. They have now 'updated' the rebate program ID after I called and read the rebate ID # printed on the sales receipt for them. We will see... If this happened to me - I am sure that hundreds if not thousands of customers are affected similarly. There is a fuzzy line between an 'error' and an 'intentional bait and switch' scheme (which BTW Sears was fined severely for by the FTC many years ago)

Comments

• Sc
      22nd of May, 2009

Giving the way Sears does business and treats there employees this does not surprise me. I myself was fired from this crap hole company the day before Thanksgiving after I was diagnosed with RA. I am a widowed 27 year old mother of an autistic 5 year old. If they would do that to someone like me, I am not shocked they would steal their customers money as well. During the time I worked there they pushed, pushed, pushed us to sell those rebates. And we had people coming in all the time wondering why they were screwed out of their money. Do not trust Sears. Especially the one located in the Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood Washington.