Sears Mastercard / rotten tactics to charge late fees

1 Box 6936The Lakes, NV, United States Review updated:

I have automatic payments scheduled to Sears Mastercard to avoid late fees and hassles in general. Apparently, Sears is going directly after folks like me. My May bill was due [protected]. My June bill was due on [protected]! My July bill is due [protected]! My account was credited with a payment on [protected], but I was charged a late fee of $39.00 and late charges on my balance. Of course I called and had the charges removed, which was done, but there are several issues here that just make me sick. The culprit, according to Sears, is a 20 billing cycle to adjust for accounting stuff. I was told by the account rep or whatever she was, that it was due to a 'walking' billing cycle and the way the days of the week were (she actually said this). She also told me I was free to go to their website to check on billing cycles and such. I told her I shouldn't have to worry about a company shifting their billing cycle and that their accounting adjustment was designed to charge late fees and penalties to those of us who pay on a schedule like online banking. This accomplishes a couple of important things for Sears. First, Sears gets late fees and penalties for those who don't look at their bills for whatever reason, thinking that automatic payments have them covered. Sears also charges penalties on the amount owed, so Sears gets an extra month or so in interest charges (but I think technically, they are not interest charges). Also, for those trusting souls who transferred balances at sweetheart deals when credit cards were begging to have you transfer them, they now have to pay the highest rates chargeable for the remaining balances! How's that for rewarding responsibility? Anyway, check your latest billing to see if this rotten company caught you in their trolling nets. I'm canceling my Sears Mastercard, but I think I should at least try and warn the world of responsible consumers that their credit card companies are out to get them.

De

Comments

• Ki
      14th of Mar, 2009

Read my account of what happened to me thru Sears Mastercard Citigroup and RUN as quickly as you can away from them. I would close your account and do business with an ethical credit card company!

• Ke
      2nd of Jul, 2009

This confusion over 20 and 28 day billing cycles makes it difficult to avoid late fees for people who use automatic payments, but they are also confusing for people who pay in every other imaginable manner. I generally pay my bill in full each month, but the payment cycle can easily advance by 9 full days some months, then suddenly become a much longer period on a subsequent month. I called Sears earlier today to complain about this and all I got was stupid and misleading explanations. The "service rep" told me that as long as I pay the bill in full each month that I caused the 20 day billing cycle--it is entirely under my control is how he said it. I told him this was balderdash, that as often as I pay my bill in full I would be paying the bill 18 times a year on 20 day cycles.

If Sears can come up with a good explanation of why, in the age of computers, we have to have "walking" billing cycles of 20 or 28 days length. I just see this as deceptive practice to add to revenue. As the young man on the customer service call told me today "We aren't a non-profit company after all"--obviously oblivious to how a factor actually works.

I don't get caught by a late penalty too often, but this latest one come on top of one caused by my Sears bill coming to me in Spanish for no reason at all. I have had enough of Sears Mastercard. There are other more convenient and less confusion ways to pay for goods.

• Do
      9th of Apr, 2013

Both my husband and I have Sears Master Cards and have used same for years with an excellent credit standing. My husband passed away Feb 1, 2013. I called Sears Master Card and they immediately cancelled the card stating my husband as primary carrier AND also cancelled the 16, 000 points I had accumulated with would be eligible for a gift card. I feel this was very unfair as my husband never used his card..Mine was in my name and I was the sole user of the card and the one that payed the bills.After talking to four different people all I could hear was, "I'm sorry" over and over again and that was the final..If I had not been honest and told them about his passing, I could have redeemed the points as I had done in the past...There is a balance on the (cancelled) card and I'm in doubt if I should pay it as they cancelled my points...if I should cancel paying the bill...Dolores Kiddell
    P.S. I had the option of using other credit cards but had chose Sears as I had dealt with Sears Stores for years..I'm not taking this sittting down...as I'm in a very depressed state after losing my husband..The "I'm sorry" over and over again doesn't cut it! I FEEL I EARNED AND DESERVE THE POINTS!

• 19
      22nd of Jun, 2014
    Sears Master Card - Poor customer service
    Visalia
    California

I just got off the phone earlier today with the Idiot of India. I had
    had some problems logging onto their web site in order to start making
    online payments for my new Master Card account. God only knows just how
    many times I had told the ### that I was on their web site and it
    didn't allow me to go any further onto the specific area of my type of
    card. Each and every time she would turn around and tell me that my
    browser wasn't allowing me to go to their web site and I needed to use
    another browser. This was after I had told her the different stuff that
    posts on their web site. What an idiot. I was at the point of wanting
    to reach down the phone line and throttle her. I finally said:
    Goodbye before I waste any more minutes on my phone. When I looked up at my brother he was laughing his ### off.