[Resolved] Sears Lawn Mower / will not honor warranty

TX, United States Review updated:

I purchased a push mower from our local Sears. The THIRD time we used it, it made a horrible noise & quit working. It had a 2 year warranty, which I thought would be great. The mower was supposed to be ready 4/12/12. We called the corporate store in Ft. Worth on 4/13 they said it was ready. When we got to the store, it was not there. On 4/18/12 the service center called to get authorization for a $224 repair bill! When I said it was under warranty, they said it had been run without oil & was not covered. I personally put oil in the mower. If not, how did it make it to the 3rd time of use?!?? Something malfunctioned that caused it to leak out or not circulate. That is a mechanical problem, and not my fault. They refuse to repair/replace it for free. They will NOT honor the warranty! Save your money and don't purchase anything with a motor, from Sears!

• Resolution statement

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Apr 19, 2012

Dear SmBusinessOwner,

My name is Brian and I am part of the Sears Social Media Escalations team. After reading your post, I have to say I am very concerned. We are sorry that you have encountered trouble with your lawn mower, and have been unable to get the mower repaired under the warranty. The warranty does require that the unit is maintained with the proper level of oil for the repair to be covered under it. Our technicians are our eyes in the field, and would make the determination on if the repair would be covered under the warranty. With that being said we would like the chance to take a closer look at this situation, and see what we can do to assist in finding a resolution that will be to your satisfaction.

At your convenience, please contact my office via email at [protected]@searshc.com so we can help. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the lawn mower was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (SmBusinessOwner) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Brian S.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Sep 03, 2013

Grimly_fiendish,
    We sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience you have encountered with your tractor. We can certainly understand your frustrations with the lack of customer service you have received. My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support team. I saw your comment and wanted to offer our assistance. If you would allow us the opportunity, we would like the opportunity to speak with you to address your concerns and restore your faith in Sears. At your convenience please contact our office via email at [protected]@searshc.com so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email please provide the best contact phone number or the number to which the tractor was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your screen name (Grimly_fiendish) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.

Liz R.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

Comments

• Cr
      12th of May, 2011
    Sears Lawn Mower - Consistent Poor Service
    Sears
    Jackson Crossing
    Jackson
    Michigan

Purchased lawn mower with warranty. Lawn mower didn't last one year. Took several weeks to get repaired.
    After using it for 20 minutes, it broke again. Same problem. JUNK and POOR SERVICE.

• Gr
      29th of Aug, 2013

I agree with the original poster and the exact same deal happened with me. I have a Craftsman lawn tractor that for no reason suddenly blew up the engine. Had the "Blue Team" guy come out...he did very little other than ask the "get out of jail free for Sears" questions like "did you drive it up an incline" and "did you drive over anything". They took the mower away, sat on it for TWO weeks and finally announced that they would not honour the warranty because of "user error".

I consulted with other mechanics and Briggs & Stratton themselves; all agree that this should be a warranty fix.

Buyer beware, a warranty from Sears is a BROKEN PROMISE. They will do anything they can to avoid honouring the warranty. Oh and note the "social media" sock puppet above, trying to save face for Sears!

7th of Oct, 2014

Same thing happened to me lawn mower blew up after a year sears said they won't honor warranty said there was no oil in it .want to charge me $268.00 for repair paid 239 new uggh

• Sw
      20th of Nov, 2014

Same is happening with me right now. I brought my lawn mower in to the store due to it leaking gas from the gas tank. Told by a store associate that it should be covered under the two year warranty. Received a call from the service center with an estimate and was told that a cracked gas tank isn't covered under the warranty. No other explanation than that. Nothing that I could have done would have caused the gas tank to crack. It is an obvious manufacturer defect. I told them that I would just buy the part and replace it myself. Then I was told that I would still have to pay a $50 diagnostic fee on top of the price for the part. This is robbery at worst, dishonest and deceptive business at best. No more Sears or Craftsman for me.

• Pi
      31st of Aug, 2015

I agree my mower is still under warrenty, but the warrenty repair place said repairs would be $173.00 of non covered parts. Even though the repair slip said all parts are covered except spark plugs air filters bulb ext. I will never use sears again to purchase any products. I have lost all trust and respect for sears.