Sears Home Services / bathroom remodel

1 Birmingham, AL, United States

I signed a contract with Sears Home Services in Oct 2014 to have 2 bathrooms remodeled. This was one of the worst decisions of my life. According to the contract, both bathrooms were to be complete by 12/31/14. I was told verbally that both would be done before Christmas. Work did not begin on the project until December. When the contractors arrived, I stressed the importance of completing both bathrooms before the holidays. The first contractor ripped everything out of the master bath and then did absolutely nothing for at least 3 days. He claimed to be waiting on a plumber, but when the plumber finally came, he said he was just called that same morning. The master bath was under construction for 6 weeks - finally completed on 1/16/15. We had family in town for Christmas and were forced to share one bathroom with 7 people. We had a dumpster in our driveway for 5 weeks. During the 6 weeks that it took to complete the 1st bathroom, I had to deal with contractors and prompt the Sears project manager many times to get things done. Part of the sales pitch for the project was that I wouldn't have to deal with any of that. The 1st contractor knocked demolition debris into our plumbing for the toilet and it took a few days to get someone out to clean that and reinstall the toilet. The linen cabinet that was installed was not the size I ordered - it was so large it looked ridiculous in the room. I had to ask them to take it out and just run countertop all the way across because I didn't want to wait several weeks for the correct size. Other items I had to follow up on repeatedly: walls were not prepped for painting as promised, the shower door took several weeks (it was reordered twice), the contractors stained my carpet in the master bedroom. After going through all of this, I cancelled the 2nd bathroom. Sears tried to make me pay for the materials for the 2nd bathroom, which I didn't receive, but I finally convinced them not to charge me for those. After going through all of this, I felt it would be fair to receive a discount on the original price for the master bathroom. Sears management in the local office were completely uninterested in helping me and actually just rude at times. I have attempted to resolve this through higher levels of the company, but just keep getting the run-around. It seems that there is not one single person in the company who cares about customer service.

Sf