[Resolved] Sears Home Improvement / long delay, improper fit

Brookfield, WI, United States Review updated:

if I would have known complaint sites like this exist, I never would have signed the contract to have Sears Home Improvement replace our shower doors. The sales rep who came to our home did a great selling job and he even had a photo of himself with Ty Pennington of Extreme Home Makeovers so I figured no need to research. He stated the job would take maybe a day and hopefully will be done prior to Christmas and that under no circumstances do Sears hire subcontractors. The whole project was a total nightmare from missing hardware initially then the next day when he returned with the hardware he noticed the doors and framework all being the wrong size- this was after he removed the existing doors. We were given no explanation as to what happened, why wrong size. Approximately 2 weeks later, after the holidays I was told that someone would be out to install the new shower doors and this person identified himself as a subcontractor (saying he does a number of jobs for Sears). He made mistakes like placing the "weatherstripping" piece that goes on the bottom on the top of the door causing a significant gap and we told him water would leak out and he said "no, this is how shower doors are now"...There was also a leak which Sears says was pre-existing but we both said no water ever leaked there but knew there was drywall damage. He also had to mount the doors on the wall instead of shower tiling in order for it to fit- saying that is the only way to get the job done. The doors are approximately 1 1/2" shorter than the older unit. The subcontractor had to make a return trip to correct the upside down piece and about another week passed when Sears sent out a "troubleshooter" to find out why the leak was occuring and he resiliconed different areas. AVOID THIS COMPANY, IT WAS TO BE A DAY JOB AND IT ENDED UP TAKING A MONTH. TO DATE WE STILL HAVE NO EXPLANATION BUT HAVE RECEIVED MINOR COMPENSATION FROM SEARS.

• Resolution statement

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Mar 21, 2012

To PJS12,

I can certainly understand the frustration and disappointment you've had surrounding your recent experience with Sears Home Improvement. I sincerely apologize for the multiple mistakes that were made which caused the long delay in the completion of this job. I want to also apologize for the lack of communication and I'm sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the compensation that was offered. My name is James and I’m part of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We value you as a customer and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this issue with you further and to restore your faith in Sears. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at [protected]@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the project was scheduled under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (PJS12) for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

Pj

Comments

• Ca
      6th of May, 2012

Complete idiots should sum it up. I used to work for the Sears Clowns !! and they are just that. EVERYBODY do yourselfs a favour and KICK THESE JERKS OUT OF YOUR HOME !!!

They are Theifs, Liers, Cheats and just PLAIN DUM ### !!!

They ROB EVERYBODY they deal with !!! If you are stupid enough to sine a contract with these theifs and you really do deserve what you get.

Good Luck.

• Se
      25th of May, 2012

Please take a moment and visit my website www.searshomesucks.com that I created to share with former and potential customers of Sears Home Improvement Products what I have witnessed as a former employee and create a place for others to share their home project experiences by Sears.

During my employment at Sears, I have witnessed hundreds, possibly thousands, of home improvement projects completed without proper permitting or the use of licensed contractors. This is a serious concern and should not be taken lightly. Please take the time to browse this site and learn more. The safety of your home and family could be at risk.

Please share this site with your family and friends or anyone you know that had work done by Sears.