Having problems with Sears?

Sears reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jul 19, 2006. The latest review Protection agreement cancellation was posted on Apr 16, 2021. The latest complaint kenmore refrigerator was resolved on Sep 13, 2018. Sears has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 2492 reviews. Sears has resolved 939 complaints.

Sears Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 665 2127 (Sears Home Services)
+1 866 850 0518 (New Orders)
+1 877 550 9254 (Existing Orders)
3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, Illinois

Sears Complaints & Reviews

Sears — bad service

my 81 year old mother, May J. McCain, bought a roto tiller from Mr. Harold Jones in Mena Arkansas. 15 minute...

Sears / Kenmorewe will never buy another product from sears again

4 years ago we purchased an oven from Sears which carried a warranty for 4 years. We got our final on our home 2 years ago at which time the Kenmore oven was installed. The oven quit working Feb. 29th with an error code on the oven door. I called Sears and asked for a technican but they would not connect me to one since my warranty had run out. I told them I only wanted to know what this code meant since it was not listed in the manual that came with the oven. I called again the next day and asked again to speak to a repairman and they refused to let me talk to anyone unless I made a service call appointment. They told me to log onto their sight and download a manual and that should answer my question. I did so, and got the same manual that I had in my hands. I called again on the 3rd day and had to make a service call appointment in order to get any help. When I talked to the lady she still would not let me talk to anyone about my problem. She immediately told me that there would be a fee. $65.00 plus labor and parts or pay $129.00 plus parts, or extend my warranty. If I knew what this error code meant, I would be able to know what I could afford. Would it entail parts? Was it just a simple adjustment over the phone? Did I have to replace the oven? They didn't want me to know what I was going to face. I was so upset I just chose to pay the $129.00 and hoped for the best. The repairman showed up the next day, (not even at the scheduled time) and worked on my oven. He pressed 2 buttons and the oven was working. He was there about 15 minutes. This could have been taken care of over the phone. But because I had no more warranty, I was not considered a customer of Sears anymore. I don't mind paying for service if needed, but I should have only been charged the $65.00 since no parts or substantial labor was done. He insisted on collecting the whole $129.00. I was overcharged $64.00. If they believed in good customer service, this could have been handled over the phone in a matter of seconds. We will never buy another product from Sears again.

SearsI am very disappointed in sears, overcharged me greatly

I am very disappointed in Sears. I was told when I was called that my service call would be $75.00 plus parts if they had to replace anything. The labor charge was $185.00 and $167.25 for the parts. I do not understand this, since they said the service call would be $75.00 Also, when I left my card with my mother to put it on my Sears account, they would not accept it and rejected my card. I advised the customer service department that I would not be using Sears anymore since they did this to my account.

RESOLVED

• Sears's response · Jun 04, 2010

To Mixin,

I am sorry to hear that you were given incorrect information about the fees for the service when you called to schedule your appointment. I am not sure exactly what transpired when your mother tried to pay with your Sears card and then it was rejected, but we would like to look into this as see what we can do to help. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at [email protected] so that we can look into your situation. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and we will call you directly. Also, please provide the screen name (Mixin) used to post here for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Shayne W.
        Senior Case Manager
        Sears Cares

Sears/MaytagBad Customer Service

I went on Sears.com to look at kitchen ranges. I saw one that I liked and was going to purchase it, but I needed to get some clarification that it was a convection oven, and not a standard one. The wording in the add said the over had a a Precision Cooking System with PreciseBake that includes multidirectional airflow, which circulates preheated air for faster more even cooking results. So I called the 800 number. The agent at the call center said he couldn't answer the question and transfered me to the Silverdale Store. When I was connected to appliances the woman I spoke to said the oven I was looking at was a convection oven and she convinced me to come into the Sears store to purchase it instead of doing it online. So the following day which was May 25th I looked at the add on Sears.com to print the details and I saw that the price was lowered to $985.99 so I printed the add and drove to the Sears store in Sliverdale. When I arrived in appliances I asked a sales person to show me where the range was. I looked into the lower oven and saw no fan for convection. I told the woman that the range was supposed to be convection. She said She couldn't help me and said she would get a manager to help me. I met a manager by the name Shem who took the add from me and looked it over. He said that I was right the range was described as having a convection oven, but the actual oven did not. So Shem tried to work with me to find a way to get me an oven with convection around the same price. While I was working with Shem another manager by the name Steve was brought in to help. So Steve did some research and couldn't explain why the ad said Precision Cooking System, but that the range I wanted did not have convection and there was nothing he was going to do to help me. So it was just my tough luck!! So I told Steve I would leave and take my business back to Lowe's and I walked away. While your manager Steve was fine with me leaving and not spending my money in Sears, Shem did not agree and asked me to give him a chance to call Maytag and find out if they could offer an explaination and pay for the difference in price. Maytag said that it was a mistake on their end with the description of the range but they would not do anything for me either. So Shem then offered me a price of $1, 285 on the maytag range with the convection oven. After thinking about it, and only because Shem was nice and tried to work with me, I bought the range for $1285. Your manager Steve needs some retraining on customer service!!! I plan to do more home improvements but I am hesitant to return to Sears after this experience. It is now May 30th and your online add for the same Maytag range with the same description is there and the price is $985 so nothing was done to correct the mistake even after I reported it on May 25.

• La
          Laurie Jun 03, 2016

Had the similar problem with my Kenmore Elite Washing Machine, they only come out on certain days, ordered the wrong part 3 times 1 wrong part was ordered twice and the third was still the wrong part.

on the 3rd visit the tech had taken the initiative himself and got the right part from another tech who had spares in his truck and came prepared to fix it in case the part that was ordered was not correct - He came prepared!

It still took 5 weeks to fix my washer - and I had to use a laundramat to wash only - brought everything home to my own dryer.

• Su
          sunlandev Jun 03, 2016

We bought a Maytag Gemini Stove a year ago in October. We also bought the extended Warranty. November 26 I discovered it had been leaking gas when I walked past it and a flash of light and noise happened between me and the stove. I called the gas company and a man came out and determined the leak was in the stove. When I called the Sears repair line I was told they would only come on Wednesdays and because that day was Wednesday they wouldn't come until the next Wednesday because "we don't offer same day service." The next Wednesday the repair man came out and found a hole in the line inside the back of the stove. He ordered a part, which got here the following Monday and he came the following Wednesday to put it in but it was the wrong part. He couldn't find the right part even with the model number so he put it on "research". He told me that if they couldn't come up with the right part the stove would be replaced. The following Wednesday another part arrived and today, December 24, a man came to put the new part in but, again, it was the wrong part. Well, today it was put on research again which means they have another 14 days to come up with the right part. We have tape on the leak but I can't trust that to last forever. I don't see any choice but to wait another 14 days to see if they fix the stove or keep stalling. It doesn't make sense to me that they can't get the right part.

Sears Roebuck & Company — disrespectful sales girl

May 28, 2010 Mr. Bruce Johnson President & CEO Sears Corporate Office 3333 Beverly Road Hoffman Estates, IL...

Searsorder not fullfiled

Well Sears thanks for screwing me over! I order a rain barrel online and I have yet to receive it it has been about a month. I called customer service twice and they told me that it was in processing. I now realized I cannot get a refund unless I refuse the order or take it back to the store. Well isn't that nice I get what I ordered then I want to take it back. Maybe I will get myrain barrel in December when I could take advantage of using it. I will never order from you online again. Your customer service is poor. I am glad I threw away $150 because who knows when my orde will show up. Please be careful ordering from Sears online because once the order is place your screwed and have no recourse because it is stuck in processing and could be forever. Thanks Sears, you lost a customer today!

Searsnever purchase glasses from sears opticals

I brought a pair of glasses for my kid, used for 3 weeks, within 3 weeks the glass got so many scratches my kid could not use it again, since i went to complaint about this sears Burlington mall said they wont replace even though if you would have purchased 30 days before because of scratches. i feel like they use very cheap glasses, though i had brought Rayban brand the glasses used with frame is very cheap, also they charged for coating 40 dollars extra. Initially while buying glasses they said it will protect from scratches, but when went i went back again to complain about the glasses he says he never said this to me.

Sears / 27 & 8. 5 Hp Auger Type Snowblowerwhat a piece of crap, over $700 to boot.

I have a 27" 8.5 hp auger type snowblower that I bought about 3 years ago and barely been used because of lack of snowfall here in Pa. The recent series of storms has required me to actually use this machine. The machine was NOT used roughly or abused, but nevertheless fell apart. The auger axel is mounted on a cup that is attached to the housing. This cup supports the shaft while it spins. The metal of the houseing is SO thin and unreliable that it simply bends out and the shaft slips out of the cup. Banging it back into position is a temporary fix until the next time. What a piece of crap. Over $700 to boot.

Searscan not receive a refund for a very long time

I bought my daughter a Christmas dress at sears .com on Novemeber 20, 2009. I recieved an order confirmation soon after, but never a shipping notice. 2 weeks later, I called sears.com and was told the item was DISCONTINUED!!! This was the 1st notice I had ever heard of the item being out of stock. I immediately asked for a refund and was told it would take 30DAYS!!! It is now FEBRUARY 9, 2010 and guess what...NO REFUND STILL!!! Everytime I contact sears, I get the run around from one of their little puppet customer service reps. NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING AT SEARS!!! DONT SHOP THERE!!! I mean, it's a 20 buck refund... give it to me already!!!

Sears / Kenmore Elite Bottom Freezer Refrigerator Model 795.7835Stay far away from Sears

I have a Kenmore Elite Bottom Freezer Refrigerator (Model 795.7835#. It was purchased at the Sears in Eden Prairie, MN in April of 2009. Less than 1 year later, it could no longer keep the contents cold. (Our ice cream was soup.) We called Sears Home Repair, & since it was under warranty, they said they'd fix it, but here's what happened:The 1st guy came to fix it. He was a nice guy, but he said the compressor was broken so he ordered a new one. The new one came, but after the 2nd guy spent hours putting it in, it turned-out it was also broken. Now we have no cooling at all, & all our food is outside on the deck. The 2nd guy ordered another new compressor. When it arrived I was supposed to call to schedule an appt. They said someone would come the next morn. (today). He isn't here yet, so I called 1-800-4MYHOME begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-4MYHOME end_of_the_skype_highlighting again to see when he'd be there. 1st the woman said she couldn't find our record. Then when I said how frustrating it was, SHE HUNG-UP ON ME. All our food has been outside for 2 weeks to keep it cool, but the meat is rotten because it hasn't been cold enough. My husband's work colleagues are coming over for dinner tonight. I don't know who to call, because I looked all over Sears website for "Complaints, " but you can only complain about the web site itself.

Searswas threatened and told lies

I was shopping at sears on tuesday may 25th 2010. I talked with two sales associates about a craftsman pressure washer. I told the worker I wanted to see if the washer could fit into my car. He walked over by the exit and gave me a buggy to put pressure washer into. I took this item out to my vehicle and got washer into car. I sat in car waiting on my driver to return so I could go back inside store to purchase this item. As I waited sears secuirty men approached me and accused me of stealing this pressure washer. I told this gentleman I was seeing if it could fit into my car. And they made me come inside. After questioning me and calling me a liar for 30 minutes I was told if I just told them I was taking this item and not paying then I would be free to go since I was still on sears property and that I would just be tresspassed. This was I lie!!! They are trying to proscecute me for theft now! I was harrassed and threatened. This security man told me to just say I messed up and sears would not prosecute me so I took his advice, he told me this 5 or 6 times. As well as the other security man. I told them 3 times I wasnt stealing it. And they said I was lieing. Who do I need to speak with???

Sears A&e Servicesincompetent technician

Sears' A&E Services sent out a truly incompetent technician to our house THREE times to repair our dishwasher. Each time, he ordered a completely new part and tried to install it. On the third time, he even broke the latch door. (This was a brand new, top of the line stainless steel dishwasher.) The total for parts and service that he internally billed Sears was over $1100 according to the receipts. On the FOURTH time, Sears sent in the REAL repair guy- an ace named Ted (if you are getting service in the Monroe Country, Brown County, Greene County area) and he fixed the problem instantly. Of course, Sears only sent in the terrific guy on the 4th and final attempt- after which they would have given us a new dishwasher. Be sure to ask for EXPEDITED service in between visits or it will be 4 weeks (4 visits, each one week apart). Also if your technician seems like the village idiot, ask them to send out Ted instead!

Sears — customer service and delivery stinks

Secured Texas Appliance Rebate. Purchased refridge from Sears at Broadway Square mall on April 16, 2010...

Searssears lack of quality control and service

4th treadmill delivered from Sears . First one defective (Nordic Track), 2nd one looked like it had been dropped (still in the box), 3rd one blood on the instruction manual, unsafe assembly, parts put on the treadmill but no screws to hold them together, 4th (Proform) one had to have the parts "jimmied" because the console and arms did not fit. Feedback from the driver said he opened three boxes and found the following, holes not drilled to insert screws, parts missing. Yet, the treadmill was delivered to my home in this "jimmied" condition. Feedback from Sears store and 800 number...do you want another one!!! 4 Saturdays wasted and potential injury to myself from improper assembly and defective items. Matt, salesman, just called me and wanted to know about my delivery and then hung up on me! Obviously how business is conducted at Sears.

Sears (Shoreline, Wa) — harassment/wrongful firing

I used to work for Sears on two different occasions, the latest being from 10/2008 to 9/2009. Sears as a...

Searsworst repair experience I have ever had

We purchased a Kenmore side-by-side a little over a year ago. The refrigerator barely made it 10 months before dying. At that point we had it repaired under warranty. Over a period of 3 weeks and 3 or 4 visits, it was finally repaired. Not 2 months later (when it was finally out of warranty) the icemaker stopped despising ice. knowing my credit card extends warranty claims by 1 year we had Sear come out to give an estimate. We were told that there was a $60 diagnostic fee, but if we got it repaired that would be applied to the cost of the repair. We knew it would be a week or more for the credit card company to approve the repair, so we asked if we could wait on the repair until we were sure it was covered. We were told that would be NO problem and we could call back ANY time within 30 days to schedule it. We got approved about 2 weeks later and called to schedule the repair. First we were told that we needed to get them a credit card number to order the part, which we did. Then we were told there would be another $60 diagnostic charge because we had declined the repair. We explained that we DID NOT decline, we just were not immediately ready. We also told them what the repairman had said about having a 30 day window. After a good 1/2 hour on the phone we were told that there was nothing they could do and that we should call the local repair center to see if they had a way to get the repair done as was promised. We called them the next day and got the same refusal to help or fulfill the promises they had made. I am seriously disappointed in Sears.

Sears Coaccusers

Summer of 2009, a white man and a black woman accused my sister and I of shoplifting. We had found 2 pairs each of a bathing suit we wanted to try on. We go towards the fitting room and understanding why there was an overhead tv for security. We went in and tried them on and we didn't consider taking them because they just did not look good. Now for every fitting room anywhere where I have gone to there has always always always been a clothing rack of what clothes a customer did not like or want. Always. And yes there was a rack inside the fitting rooms to hang unwanted clothing. Since my sister and I didn't like those particular bathing suits, we had put them on the rack. As we are leaving sears because we had absolutely no other interest in being there any longer, we proceded to walk into a store called "zumies". The minute we had walked into another store, that ###ing white man and black woman come storming and threaten us to leave the mall immediately. They told us they needed to check our purses for the items we did not walk out with leaving their fitting rooms. As we showed them and continued to tell them that there was a goddamn ###ing rack in the womans fitting room for unwanted clothing, they forced us to go and show them as if we were lying. On our way back they had walkie talkies with them and someone telling them that they found the bathing suits exactly where we had orignally told them. I was unbelievably furious. Sears corporation need to really know what is going on. Don't have a a ###ing rack in a fitting room if you're just gonna accuse someone of stealing your worthless piece of ### there. Never never never ever go into sears in louis joliet mall in joliet, illinois near IL 55 and route 30 and caton farm road

Searshoover steam vac

Took my Hoover Steam Vac to our local Sears where I purchased to shampooer. I purchased it 08/25/08 along with a 3 year extended warranty. Our sears people are so nice and assurred me it would be fixed and back to our sears in a week to ten days. Then I get a call from Yavonne telling me I had no warranty on the hoover. After arguing with her that I did. She told me to call Nancy at SCS NCR and Nancy said she would take care of it for me. Many weeks later and many calls later I finally get ahold of George and he says he shampooer was repaired and would be at our sears on Friday. It was. Today being the first dry fairly warm day I decided to clean my
                            carpets and low and behold IT WAS NOT REPAIRED!!! Who do I go to next to get the shampooer repaired? or can they at least send me a upholstery hose to replace the broked one. I really need the hose fixed or replaced but dread having to wait 3 or 4 weeks to get it done. Im so frustrated with Sears.

Terry Davis
                            19388 CH 70
                            Forest, Ohio 45843
                            email [protected]@gmail.com

Not happy at all with steam vac Jun 06, 2010

I bought a hoover steam-vac from Sears as well. The first time I used it, the automatic shut-off engaged and I emptied the fill tank. I put it back together and it wouldn't turn on. I checked breakers and the plug-ins and it still wouldn't work. Completely dead! So I phoned hoover and was transferred twice, only to be told to take it in to be fixed. I only used it once and for a small corner of a room and it died on me!!! This steam-vac is garbage!! I am taking it back to Sears and will never purchase a hoover again!!

Sears Die-hard Batterybad battery and bad warranty

Not only did my "Die Hard" battery die within a year and a half of purchase, but the service department side-stepped the warranty by claiming that battery was still good; they said the car had some kind of electrical problem that they were not equipped to troubleshoot. Of course, when I went to the car dealer, they showed me that the battery was not able to hold a charge. After installing a new battery from the car dealer, the electrical problem magically disappeared.

I had successfully purchased die-hard batteries for many, many years, and am now extremely disappointed to see that Sears has dropped the ball on one of their flagship products, and has chosen to scam customers by dropping service, as well.

Searsterrible and rude service tech

The tech sent to repair my freezer did not call ahead like I was told he would. He was very rude did not talk at all to tell me what he was doing or what was wrong with my refrigerator. He was looking around my house the whole time he was there and it made me feel very uncomfortable. Always watching too see if I was watching him. He took a personal phone call while making the repair. I would prefer this tech not make any service calls to me in the future.

RESOLVED

• Sears's response · May 20, 2010

To Afroman,
                                    My name is Brian and I’m part of the Sears Cares Escalations team and I’m sorry to read about the service tech who was in your home. You shouldn’t be made to feel uncomfortable while we are servicing your appliances. It is perhaps our number 1 policy above all others is to treat our customers with respect they deserve, and I’m sorry you didn’t get that from your service technician. As for the phone call, we do call them in the field to alert them of new appointments or schedule changes to existing appointments. Their phones are our lifeline to them while they are working. All this being said, we would like to speak with you about this so that we can ensure it does not happen to you or any other customers. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at [email protected] so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the freezer was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Afroman) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Brian J.
                                    Senior Case Manager
                                    Sears Cares

• Kl
                                    Kljohnson May 09, 2015

Yesterday a Sears tech came to my home and was very friendly, polite and seemed knowledgeable. He ended up putting a new heating element in my dryer. (he even showed me how the other one was broke) Since I have a maintenance agreement, It only cost me $65.00 ...I gave him a WELL DESERVED positive review as when he left it WAS actually running. However, only 2 hours later It had stopped working...I immediately called the 1-800 number. I could barely understand the person on the other line except that they said to call back the next day. My husband called the next day and they got a DIFFERENT tech sent out. Although I'm pleased they promptly sent someone out...he's here right now & he's unbelievable RUDE!!! I have NEVER in all my life, EVER HAD ANYONE in my home, to service something act this way!!! According to him...he said he didn't see me as having a maintenance agreement and it was a "collect"...I told him " yes we do & someone was just here yesterday to repair my dryer"... He was VERY argumentative. He also made rude remarks after my daughter inlaw and grandchild left t& said she looked awfully young" (to have a baby)...he was sarcastic about my husbands answering machine voice message...he even had trouble opening my front load dryer!!! There's nothing wrong with the door!!! When he was arguing with me over me having a maintenance agreement, he said " well if you had a receipt from yesterday"... I said "I DO"... And he said "well I asked you for that before"... I said " no you didn't!" And he continued to argue with me about it...EVEN AFTER I HANDED HIM THE RECIEPT!!! He dissapeared to his truck for 25 min. Came in...handed me back my receipt and said " thanks" as he walked out the door!!! -----soooooo-----no explanation...no computer to sign...and no offer for me to "Review/Comment" @ his service! First tech was great---second tech-deserves a serious reprimand!!! NOT A GOOD representation for the company!!! I wouldn't ever get a contract again if this is they type of person that would come to my home.