Complaints & Reviews

incompetent sales associates

My wife liked a leather couch she saw at Sears and brought me to the store to check them out and eventually buy it (two of them). We sat in it, spoke with the sales associate and said Okay, we'll take two if we can get them this week. He looked and said they'll be here on Wednesday and someone would call you when they're in. No one called so we did and they were in. My brother and I picked them up in his truck and drove in the snow to my house. We opened the box and sure enough, the ### sold us the WRONG COUCH. We called and spoke with a manager (at 8:45 p.m.) We told him the problem and he looked the item up and said we got the couch we bought. IDIOT. We told him the saleman punched the wrong number in and how are we to know? He said he would correct the problem, give us a $50 gift card and have the correct couches sent to us and the incorrect ones picked up. He said he would call us by 10:00 a.m. the next day to get the order due to the time. He never called so we called him. "Oh yeah, I forgot" was his response. "Let me take care of it and call you back tomorrow morning". Again, never called. We called and spoke with the store manager and told him our issue. He said he would talk with the other manager and get back to us. Third time, no call back. We called him and he said he would take care of the problem and call us back. When we got home, we had a message from a woman stating our correct couches would be delivered on the 20th. We never got a call to confirm delivery and on the 20th, no one came. We called Sears and they said that couch has been discontinued. We again spoke to the Store Manager and he said he would arrange for our couches to be picked up and we would be refunded our money. He never called and we still have two couches we did not want. I have since made a claim to my credit care company and am awaiting a response. I cannot return them due to my health and Sears SUCKS when it comes to customer service.

Resolved Very dissatisfied with the service I received

I have been dealing with Sears stores for over 20 years. The service I received for my vacuum cleaner the past 2 months has pushed me to never want to shop with Sears again. I took my vacuum cleaner to the Sears store on 14th street in Fernandina Beach, Florida (Unit # 3215) on March 3, 2009 for a simple repair. my ticket number was 0246295. The salesperson there gave me an expected ready date of March 16, 2009. I paid $130.76 for the lousy service they provided me. I picked up the vacuum cleaner today, May 3, 2009. Over the past 2 months, I have made 3 trips to the store to check on the process. Each time, the sales person told me that it was in the main store and transports happen on Mondays. When I went in the store today, the salesperson told me that they tried to call me at my old phone number in VA. I showed her the correct phone number she was supposed to call PRINTED ON MY RECEIPT. At that time, she told me that it had just come back from the repair dept YESTERDAY. This just made me question the integrity of the salesperson and business I was dealing with. I have only had 1 other problem with Sears products, a lawnmower, and their managers in VA Beach resolved it. I AM VERY DISSATISFIED with the service I received from your company.

rebates (bait and switch)

Having just had the classic bait and switch pulled on us by the Sears "eRebate Center" I searched the web and found another complaint almost exactly the same as what we just experienced. I also found that Sears has contracted this work out to www.everybodywins.com which is a company called Ohana Companies. What I find so funny is that this company shows Sears as a partner and lists that it offers 100% customer satisfaction. What is even more laughable is that Sears does not even acknowledge a relationship with this company or how it processes your rebate. What Sears does do is take your money on the date of the sale and then "hand you off" to them so that you may be provided with one of a million pre-prepared responses designed to make you give up.

Tonight we officially became a non-Sears family and will never shop with this retailer or KMart ever again. I hope more people don't fall for this scam and I will continue to post these comments until my fingers fall off.

AVOID THIS SCAM!

Resolved associate could not apply coupon

I received a President's Day flyer from LeMars local Shopper. I found sawhorses for $12.49. I also had a...

Resolved money no longer owed

My parents had been loyal customers of Sears since 1975. They had a credit card and bought all appliances from Sears as well as the maintenance plans for those appliances. They had purchased credit life on that credit card then when my mother passed away 13 years ago when I called to find out what we needed to do and what we needed to send in order for this balance to be paid off. I was quickly informed that my dad was too old and the insurance would not cover the balance. I responded with my dad did not pass away my mother did and she was only 64 yrs. old. They then came up with another sad excuse not to pay off the balance. I turned it over to the family attorney and he called several times to no avail. Needless to say he is not an agressive attorney and neither was I a agressive person at that time. So it went to a collection company. We paid 226.00 per month for 13 years. My dad recently passed away and I called the attornies who we have paid for so long and was told they would take care of the balance and said it was closed out. I received a letter from another attorney addressed to the estate of my father stating that he still owes 2242.77. I am appalled...my father paid way over what he owed and I am just pissed off...I have not stepped a foot in Sears in 13 years and will not ever again. I will advertise to everyone I know that Sears is a horrible company and should be boycotted. I have already made a great influence on my family and friends; they will not step foot in this store either. Now, I will tell you this what goes around comes around.

Resolved light fixture overheats, melts, smokes. it's a fire hazard.

I have the same light melting/fire hazard issue with complete denial by Sears Service. Just filed with...

Resolved excell duct cleaning

Contracted Excell Duct Cleaning to clean our furnace ducts in early December. Workmanship and technique was comparable to a reality show of a nightmare. Contacted the Sears contractor, surveyed the "mess" and said immediate action required. After refusal of the same crew and technique to come back plus partial reimbursment, I began to call all of the Sears head managers and to no avail. It is now mid February and nothing has been done. No money and still and a messy house. It is difficult to breath and eyes water all of the time. So now we have to get a separate house cleaner and try and clean it all up. Is there no one anymore in the business world that will be responsible for their actions if there workmanship is less than desireable. I would have posted the pictures of our house after three days of grey-whitish dust that hangs on everything. It is disgusting. No more Sears, anything at anytime!!!

Resolved unethical

I worked for SHIP (sears home improvement) for a couple of years. The things that I experienced were shocking...

Resolved poor service after incomplete job

Sears Home Central Calgary, Windows installation:

I purchased windows from sears in and installation done in September 2009. The installaer did not complete their work. February 2010, the installation is still not completed. I have been running around like chicken without a head calling every Sears Customer service - They dont help! What do you call poor service? This one is and especially if they show you plainly that they dont care.

Resolved terrible delivery and service

Bought an expensive treadmill from Sears. Was told they would deliver and set up on the second floor of my Victorian Home even though it would not be easy as my staircase turns. I measured the unit and know it can go on the second floor if they take it out of the box. They came to my house took one look and said they would not deliver it. I told them to take it out of the box, they refused.

If they had to take it out of the box to set it up, why not take it out of the box when they bring it in. Refused to do so and while I was speaking to their manager, they took the unit and left. THey said they would send them back and tell them to do what I asked. Hours later they returned, and as soon as I opened my door they said they were told to set it up in my living room. Totally not true, and they left again.

I again call the manager and was told they would come back the same day with another person to help them. They would call me first. Another day has gone by and no call, and no treadmill. The moving men were rude and arrogant and I am out almost $1000.00.

• Br
    brad kelly May 20, 2011

I have an extended service contract from UTS for my Treadmill and cant get service. It seems as though they are buying used parts when service is necessary and they are sending technicians to do the repairs that cant fix the machines. Six weeks my Treadmil is down and they still waiting for parts.

Resolved online purchase pick up in store

On February 13th, 2010, I ordered a trinket for Valentine's Day on Sears.com to be picked up in the...

Resolved poor customer service

Feb 12th I took my daughter to sears portrait studio, @ 11:00 am the photographer had 1 customer that she was finishing up with, until she
Discovered I was a walk in. So there are no other customers, I figure, I can be next, oh no she went on to say I have a 12:oo appointment, well since it's 11:00 I can be seen, well she prolonged the cashing out with the customers so long, "she wanted to know about their vacation how many times their baby burps," well that took 15 minutes well I figure I still have time for my photo shot, wrong she took another 15 minutes cashing them out. So finally they leave no one else is there not even the 12:00 appointment. So I figure we can take our pictures, wrong she refused to take us until she was sure of her 12:00 appointment, needless to say the 12:00 appointment came 5 minutes late. Not to mention she was reading a book until they arrived. This was her productivity for 1 hour. This is a poor performance employee, she does not deserve a place in the work force, sears portrait studio is losing countless revenue with this employee's actions, I think holly's problem is pure laziness with a touch of racism. I have been a sears customer since 1985 and I consider myself a valued customer. I recorded much of my visit on my cell phone because of her actions, which were unbelievable I will send the video viral, so no other mommy will not experience a walk in dilemma it's obvious that this policy is not honored by the employees, sears should take a closer look at their staff performance to make sure policies are followed. Their are eager people awaiting such a job with this economy by the way this was chicago ridge mall (Westfield)

• Di
    Displeased with Sears Mar 13, 2010

Yes, my parents just experienced racism, agism, and contemptible service at Sears in the Burlington, MA area. They were treated badly not only by employees but by the the manager. One of the employees was also laughing at the situation in which they lied about the return policy, didn't know how to do a return, and didn't even mention exchange of the product.

One of the employees said there was a 30 day return policy and it was really a 90 day policy written on the receipt as was pointed out by my parents who finally got the manager to do the return. They were shaking the product as if there was product missing inside it implying they were returning a used product. This was not only rude, but also implicating my parents as criminal over a $7 bottle of product. Then, an employee said reluctantly once the manager came over that they would be "giving them" the money and of course they were not — they were returning money to them from Sears. No one said sorry or apologized at all. The manager was not at all apologetic or helpful. Instead my parents received the $7 they deserved back after such a horrible experience, plus a waste of time and an endless memory of headache and trauma of racism given to them by Sears employees and manager.

• Ro
    rockthefetish Nov 03, 2010

It takes an hour to do a session. (often longer, much longer) That's why she didn't take you. That being said, she could have done your photos and shown you later. I don't know why she didn't.

Resolved cost of repair

We bought our front loading Kenmore He2Plus a year and a half ago and it started leaking badly during a recent wash.
I called Sears to schedule a repair. It was an automated line and I was told that a service repairman would be out a few days between the hours of 8am and 5pm.
The repairman showed up and said just for showing up there would be a 70 dollar charge.
He proceeded to do the repair. The washer simply needed the rubber around the opening of the washer to be replaced. He said this was the most common problem.
Something had caused the rubber to not seal completely. He replaced it in one hour or less and charged me 214.06.
We feel this is extremely high for a simple replacement of a rubber seal. Since this is a common problem I think Sears should consider their culpability regarding these rubber seals.

Resolved do not buy warranties from sears

Purchased a treadmill from Sears in August 2006 for $1700 and a 5 year warranty for $475. Allegedly covers all parts and service. Called to request service, sears claimed Nordictrack was to service. Nordictrack claimed extended warranty was covered by Sears. Spent 50 minutes being transferred between companies - Sears claimed they had no record of the warranty. Finally put in queue for UTS (Universal Technical Services) and was on hold for one hour 18 minutes. UTS finally answered and said someone would call within 6 business days to schedule an appointment. Could not tell me who would actually be calling me from local area as UTS doesn't actually do repair work in my state. Similar situation with a vacuum repair, an oven repair. DO NOT BUY WARRANTIES FROM SEARS. You are better off to pay for service as you need it and pursue other channels if your product is a lemon, including paying with other Credit that protects the consumers. Be sure to document all calls, contact names if possible, technician names and alleged repairs requested. Sears business model is geared toward investors and not consumers.

• I agree. We reported trouble with our treadmill in July of 2009. Our warranty was to expire in December. It took a week to get the parts that the person at UTS thought might be required. Then it took a couple more for the company that services our area to come out, only for them to say they needed another part. This has continued for several months with about 4 actual visits by the technicians. Just before December, I was assured by UTS that since the servicing of the equipment was begun prior to the expiration of the warranty, they would continue to fix the treadmill. As of today, February 22, 2010, parts shipped to us remain un-opened, waiting for another visit from Icon Technologies. Not worth the extended warranty offered by Nordictrak and Sears.

• Da
    darnsocks May 11, 2010

couldn't agree more with the last sentence. i have spent days, DAYS on the phone with sears and nordictrack. i can't talk about it anymore. just don't do it.

• Do
    Doug AE Feb 17, 2013

I've received a terrible run around similar to that which is described by others. Very poor service. In short, don't buy the warranty it's not worth it as far as I'm concerned. The Sears rep I spoke with initially was extremely rude and basically her attitude was too bad you're on your own, Sears isn't responsible even though they sold me the machine and it was never explained to me what aggravation I was buying into. Sears, UTS and Nordic Track and the "local contractor" were all at fault.

Resolved customer service

I don't know where to begin, except to say that your customer service department for tv repair services are the most incompetent people I have ever encountered. Four (4) weeks ago I contacted sears to come in and find out what was wrong with my lg lcd flat panel tv. Your technician said it could be one of two things (Or both) — a bad power supply board or the main board. He ordered the two parts and asked for my credit card. I gave him my amex card and was charged $969.13 total for parts and labor - assuming, of course, that this would not be put on my amex until the tv was repaired.

I received two (2) boxes - assuming they contained the 2 parts needed. As instructed, I called your service department, told them I had the parts, and they sent out a technical to begin repair. Surpise! Your supplier sent two of the same part - the main board - no power supply which was needed. The technician couldn't do anything that day and advised me that the part I needed was back ordered until 2/5. This is where the nightmare begins.
The very next day (1/29 or 1/30) your customer service department called me to schedule a technician to come in to repair my tv. Of course that was not possible seeing as I didn't have the part!!! Not only did your cs dept. Call once that day, but called two more times and three times the next day to schedule an appointment. How stupid and inept is this? That's only the beginning! On the 5th of february I called to see if the back-ordered part came in. Your cs dept said they would check with the parts dept. And someone from there would call me back. Never received a return call. On the 8th (Monday) I called again and was disconnected twice! Again I was told someone from parts would call me. Did not happen!
Please bear in mind that each time someone from sears called me, I had to repeat the same information about the appt., the part, my address, phone number, problem, etc., etc.

I called again today - the 9th of february - and was told the part expected to ship on march 1st - over one month later than expected. I went on line and found the part myself and ordered it.

The worst part is my amex card was charged on 1/28 for the full amount. I disputed this charge in lieu of the fact that I did not receive the required parts, nor did I receive the service I was charged for. Please, please do something about your customer service department. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing there!

• Vi
    vinniek Oct 22, 2009

Wonder if Sears has any customer service. With great enthusiasm I bout a riding lawn tracter 3 days ago from Sears outlet store paying the full money with 3 years warranty purchase and got schedule delivery today. I took a vacation to receive the product and sears delivery contracter cam as early as 8:00 AM and when he parked vehicle in front of my house, he asked me if I have the keys for the tracter. I said no one gave me the keys or anything. He wanted to deliver it and I refused delivery because I do not know if it works. Then a person from Sears delivery department calls and aske me to take delivery and I refused again. I had to run to outlet store after they opened after 9:00AM and after waiting for 30 minutes, there until 9:30AM (even though store opens at 9:00AM), soneome comes and no one bothers to say sorry. They kept on says that I refused delivery as if it is my fault. I had to make additional trip of 50 miles just to ask who is responsible to give keys along with product. The experience of buying a sears product was sickening and I simply asked for refund of my whole money and canceled the transaction with disgust. I know Sears may not care if a customer goes, but I can guess why they are shown in the list of next doomed business as I read a couple of weeks ago. At least I will not shop again at Sears for any thing from now on.

Again went back to stores today to get back my money but same "excuses" from someone else. Why I am being taxed to have my money stuck with Sears when the product is not even delivered to me? What a nasty Sears service has become?

Margaret McClure Jul 18, 2010

This is a complaint by a customer, not a business. I wanted to let you know about the lack of customer service I received after the purchase of a heating and airconditioning system from the Orlando Sears store. The purchase included an incentive for purchase at the time of the home visit by the sales rep of a gift card for $1000. I spent quite a bit more than anticipated but because of Sears reputation and the gift card I decided to go ahead. The installation went fine, but getting the gift card was a problem. Apparently the envelope with the gift card was lost by UPS and couldn't be found for several weeks. I understand this was not Sears fault, but noone in the office seemed to know who to contact to get a tracking number or just didn't care. I made many phone calls and finally was able to get the number and eventually got the card. However, there was supposed to be a phone number included to call and activate the card, which was not there. It took another week and numerous phone calls to get this information. I finally was able to purchase the refrigerator I had planned to use the gift card for, which was being delivered today. When I went to the Sears store at the Florida Mall I had found the item I wanted on the internet and told the salesperson what model it was and that I wanted it in black. He got quite a quick sale - it only took about 10 minutes total. After spending the day clearing out the old refrigerator in anticipation of delivery, I was extremely upset to find that the wrong refrigerator had been delivered. It was the right model, but white. I refused the delivery and the driver called the office to explain the problem. They were very apologetic, and scheduled delivery of the right unit, but not for another 3 days. I'm very disappointed with Sears at this time, and don't think I will consider purchasing anything else from the company. I don't know if anyone will care, but I wanted to voice my complaint.
    Margaret McClure

Resolved appliances keep breaking

Here's a copy of an e-mail sent to Sears customer service:

Four and half years ago, we built a new house and bought all Sears Kenmore Elite appliances - Dual Fuel Range, Side-by-side refrigerator, washer, and dryer.
We choose Kenmore products because we have always had Sears appliances and they have always lasted for many years. We were excited to purchase those appliances even though we could have purchased other brands from other stores.

However in those same four and half years, our refrigerator had 3 service calls, was final declared a lemon and replaced with a new one. In the last 6 months, the washer was repaired because it was leaking water, and the dryer was repaired because the sensor switch broke. Last night I needed to schedule a repair for the range, because it started spitting flames and it appears there is an electrical short in the light sensor on the door. Needless to say these past four years have been very frustrating for us. We have spent between $250-$500 per year for service calls and repairs. These supposedly durable goods have proven to be less so.

I explained all this to a "customer service" representative on the phone. She offered to get us on a cancellation list so we may not have to wait until next Monday to get our range fixed. This is not the customer service I was really looking for. I'm tired of spending money to have appliances that should have lasted 10 years, fixed in less than five. It has really become unacceptable.

This e-mail is my last attempt to get some consideration from Sears concerning these issues. At this rate I could have replaced two of the appliances from another retailer for the cost of fixing what should have been excellent products. I don't want any more calls to "extend our warrantee", I want the products I bought not to continue breaking in less than 5 years. And if that can't happen I would just as soon look to purchase other products than continue to sink money into the Sears repair black hole.

poor customer service and service in general

I ordered a replacement screen for my Hitachi 57" TV on Monday February 1 and paid extra for expedited shipping so I would have my TV repaired before the Super Bowl (I accidentally ordered the wrong screen a week earlier, but didn't realize it until it arrived [it actually arrived, unlike the correct one]). I figured with expedited shipping I should have the screen Tuesday or Wednesday. Wed. rolls around and I still have no screen and my order status has not been updated since Mon. so I get on their website and chat with one of their CSRs. He tells me the part was backordered even though it says on the site it is "In Stock", but would ship later that afternoon and I should have it Thursday or Friday. He said if I don't have it Friday to contact them again. Fri. comes and still no screen so I get back on there and chat with another CSR who tells me that it is still backordered and she doesn't know if it has shipped or not. She says she will request an order trace from the vendor be sent to my email address. I wait a couple of hours and I receive no email (I still have yet to get an email from anyone). I get back on the site and chat with yet another CSR who tells me that the part DID ship on Wed., but they don't have a tracking number and I should have it on Monday and she will refund me the difference in shipping. I said if it did in fact ship then there would be a tracking number and she said that's not always true (bull. It's UPS, they always give tracking numbers). I was told that if I didn't have it on Monday I should contact them again and they would reship it. I asked how can they reship it if it was shipped on Wed. She said they would reenter the order in the system, but there was nothing they could do until Monday. So basically, I'm getting the runaround from all of their customer service reps and nobody truly knows the status of my order. I'm being told to wait a couple of days everytime I talk to them. Come Monday if there still is no screen I'm calling, demanding a refund, and filing a complaint with the BBB. If they refuse a refund then I'm filing a claim with my bank. I ordered from Sears because I thought they were reputable, but I've had better luck dealing with guys on eBay.

poor customer service and service in general

Resolved glasses

Had purchased glasses from Sear Optical about 6 months ago. Paid for scratch resistance, glare resistance and...

Resolved closed account after completing payment arrangement

Due to economy and personal finance issues, I had to setup payment arrangements on my Sears account. At the time the arrangment was made, Sears was full aware of my account and past due status. I was explained that if I setup monthly automatic payments for a specified time frame, at the end of the time frame --- my account would be in reinstated and resume a normal payment schedule. I fulfilled my end and monthly payments were automatically withdrawn from my bank account. I am at the end of the agreed time frame and now being told that my account will not be reinstated. The reason for the account not being reinstated is too many past due payments --- taking into consideration that I was on automatic payment withdrawals. Ultimate conclusion - Sears Collection Department made false promises and basically lied to collect money. Understandably, the money is owed. But deceiving customers that in my case have been a loyal customer for years in not right. Basically Sears Collection protocol is to make empty promises just to collect their money without consideration of prior year loyalty and kick a person when they are down. By the way --- was told Sears does not have a complaint department. That's one way to not have to deal with false promises!

Resolved gasc sauna

I recently purchased the 3 person sauna from Sears with high spirits and expectations. Figuring that I am purchasing a product from a well known and respected home improvement center, I figured I would be getting an A+ product. For $1, 995 I could get a 3 person sauna that would help with my arthritis and my wife’s back problems…..or so that’s what I was told.

I’ve had several surgeries on my right knee, and I constantly suffer from chronic arthritis. My doctor informed me that Far Infarred heat would help alleviate the pain and help in detoxify my body. The salesman from Sears said that these Carbon heaters in this sauna would alleviate all my arthritis pain and help with my wife’s back issues.

After waiting 20 minutes the sauna FINALLY heated past 120 degrees, this after I set it to 140 degrees. After sitting in the sauna for 10 minutes I finally produced a small sweat. 20 minutes later my timer turned off and it felt as if I had sat in a really hot car for 30 minutes. I figured that the sauna might be working out the kinks since it was new; however, after 2 weeks of use, I have nothing positive to say. There was no profuse sweating, my knee experienced a very small amount of relief, and my wife could not tell any difference with her back. With a 3 person sauna only having 6 heaters in it, how can they expect to heat the entire unit??? The salesman claimed that these Carbon heater would provide a soft constant heat; he was right on the soft part. You can put your hand next to the heater, and it feels no more powerful than a space heater! Not only are the heaters weak, but as is the wood. They claim to use hemlock as the wood of choice; however, hemlock is not a hyperalogenic wood. At least I don’t have to worry because this sauna can’t heat up enough for the wood to emit toxins. Cheap wood, cheap heaters, CHEAP SAUNA.

This sauna does not delivery what it promises to do, and for spending $2, 000 this sauna deserves an F on the report card.

-Sauna for sale by un-happy customer