[Resolved] Sears Die Hard Gold Battery / it should be named the die easy battery

The only Gold from this piece if crap is the gold that Sears got when it was purchased. I bought a used car with a then 5-month old Die Hard Gold battery and after cleaning the battery terminal 3 times in as many months, I found a crack in the case emanating from the battery post. I called Sears Automotive and was told to bring the car in so the battery could be inspected and pro-rated. When I got there, the 'Battery Guy' told me I needed the original receipt or I'd have to buy another battery. I explained to him that I bought the car used and that I spoke to manager from his previous shift and that I told him the battery was in the car when I purchaes it. Any way, I was just wasting more of my valuable time trying to get credit for this piece of crap battery. Two managers in the same store don't know what the other is doing and I ended up wasting my valuable time because of it. Needless to say I'll never buy anything at Sears.

• Resolution statement

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Oct 23, 2012

Chevy2003LT,

Please accept our apologies for the disappointing experience you had with the battery. We realize how frustrating this incident must have been for you. We can understand your concern with this matter and would like to speak with you in regards to this unfortunate setback.
    At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the auto service was performed under (if different than the contact phone number) and we’ll call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the customer name (Chevy2003LT) listed on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Zenaida M.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

Ra

Comments

• Ol
      27th of Jan, 2012

Just had a diehard create a leak at the battery terminal post in a 94 E320. Bought the battery in 2006 so it is still in the 100 month prorate period. Funny thing is, it never lost a charge and there was nothing that indicated I had a faulty electrical system. I just noticed when I lifted the hood one day, there was a huge blob of acid at the terminal. It was like toothpaste. So the technician suggested that the gases inside caused it from a really hot day. OK, whatever, it never gets over 110 in Raleigh and the seals should be designed for a lot hotter than that under the hood of a car. I am going with a DEKA AGM, as I have had my share of acid leaks over the years.

• My
      15th of Apr, 2012

I have a diehard battery and it wasn't working so I got a new one
    And the new one didn't work too

• Mg
      16th of Oct, 2012

Do not buy a Die Hard Battery from Sears. They won't hold a charge.
    Had a bad experience today. The Die Hard Gold was approximately 3 years old.
    The Sears service person said the battery was good. We did a test in Sears service department and left the head lights on for fifteen minutes and showed him that the battery was unable to start the car. The battery should not be dead in such a short period of time.
    We did this same test at O'Rilley Auto Parts and the told us that the battery was toast. We bought a battery at O'Rilley auto parts.

16th of Oct, 2012

I bought a die hard 2 weeks ago & once installed my dash lights began to flicker. I took my truck to the chevy dealer & they went through everything possible...cleaned grounds, installed additional ground on the back of the alternator, and replaced the alternator. Nothing worked to solve the problem. No one expected a brand new battery to be bad. However once they replaced the battery the problem was solved. The battery tests good on the machine but obviously has a problem. Sears will not give me a full refund since their tester shows the battery to be good. Nor will they take any responsibility & help pay for any service work at the Chevy dealer. I offered to let them put the die hard back into my truck & if the problem was there they would pay all bills...if the problem was not there I would leave without any type of refund...they declined. Sears has really went downhill in service & reliability. I will never do business with the company again.

• Gr
      10th of Nov, 2012

Clearly nobody knows anything about batteries that has posted here. One guy even said something about polarity? This man is clueless. These Batteries last a very long time as long as there maintained correctly. If you do nothing they will not last just like any other battery! I have had problems with interstate batteries as any brand of battery. As a mechanic I've had to deal with many battery problems.most the time if there cracked its because the guy behind hit something like a curb and Jarred the battery in a bad way or the battery holds own came loose. All the the buyers fault. If a battery went dead it most likely because the buyer has either a charging problem or something drained it like leaving the head lights on. But as we know even when it your fault you still try to get a freebie! And then get upset when you don't get one . I use these batteries a lot here in. Fairbanks Alaska land of the 40 below 0 weather and there very good cold weather batteries and last a long time when properly maintained! They also have a great amp rating for people who like to run a lot of lights and even a winch on there trucks. I recommend the die hard gold for anyone living in a cold climate place! Just take care of it if you do buy one and it will last longer then most of your cars!

• Sp
      14th of Dec, 2012

Purchased Diehard in April 2012, battery won't charge as of Dec. 2012 - taking it in for a refund. Must be a fluke :-)

• Tr
      23rd of Aug, 2013

I purchased a new Diehard Gold in March 2004. This replaced the Motorcraft battery in our '99 Ford Windstar. In July 2005, the interior lamps were left on overnight by my wife or myself, depending on whose telling the story(hello, Dr. Phil). We jump-started the van; thought all was well. The battery died again within the week. We had Sears check for electrical drains, etc. The Sears service tech concluded that the battery would not hold a charge after being drained so severely and, in their words, "We will prorate the cost of a new battery for you, even though you admitted fault". This second battery lasted 3 months! We returned it to Sears, where we encountered the same service tech. He remembered us, and our one time incident of leaving the courtesy lamps on. However, he suggested that maybe we have a 'habit' of leaving our courtesy lamps on, because " we get this situation every day." While I stepped out of the building to breathe, my wife asked for a replacement battery. My wife came out smiling. They replaced the battery at a prorated cost. I said that this would be the last one. It died 6 months later! My little protest was to return the battery to Sears, specifically the same service tech, and to tell him that I did not want any Diehard battery, prorated or otherwise.
    My Wallymart (haha) Everstart battery was trouble-free for the remaining 3-1/2 years that we owned the Windstar!

• Jj
      30th of Nov, 2013

I have 3 fords and they all have die-hards and i have no problems what so ever untill now. Bought a gold item #22851865 on 10/21/13 and came home today and my alarm was chirping, charged battery for 5 hours and nothing. tested volts and got 8. WOW, had to swap batterys out of other truck at 10:00pm so i dident get ripped off by no alarm. What a hassle.

• Je
      10th of Dec, 2013

I purchased a Sear's Gold Die Easy battery on 12-11-12 for Jeep Grand Cherokee. On 12-09-13 two days short of a year the car failed to start. After jump starting the car my charge gage read it was charging @ 15 amps, yet the car again failed to start.

I returned to Sear's Towne West Mall and was advised that I had a 36 month free replacement warranty, but first I had to pay $21.42 to have my charging and starting system inspected and tested before they will test and replace the battery. What could I do it was 9 degrees outside and my car wouldn't start. Then after 2 1.2 hours waiting the battery guy came and advised me they broke the battery terminal clamps while testing the starting system (which was fine) but I had to agree to $4.80 additional before they could test the battery.

Finally after almost 3 hours he told me the car was done, and that they had been having a lot of trouble with the 65 series batteries and he should have just warranted it to begin with. Didn't stop him for charging my credit card his shop fees on top of the aforementioned charges. Shop fees--to reimburse them for their shop towels and cost of disposing of mop water the notice read.

I new Sear's was circling the drain, but I Didn't realize someone had already flushed. I will return to Sear's again. When the Federal Bankruptcy court orders their total liquidation. I am sure there will be some great deals on closeouts. Just wonder if I can use my credit card, or if it will be cash only?

Bye-Bye Sear's, your terrible customer service will bury you.

• Rd
      12th of Feb, 2014

same story as all the rest bad battery in its warrranty and was told that they got a bad batch of batteries they prorated it after 16 months and if you average it out i am paying 67 dollars a year, next time interstate here i come, sears is worthless they figured out how to get you to pay more

• Ga
      28th of Mar, 2014

Bought die hard Gold in Nov. 2011..It died in May 2013 had it replaced free.Now this one dead in March 2014 (9 months!) Replaced free.WTF though?
    I want at least three years of CONTINUOuS service.
    Now come Nov. 2014 I will be S.O.L.
    Bad product!

• Al
      14th of Apr, 2014

going on my third battery in about 2 years!! not so good.

• Fr
      2nd of Jul, 2014

Well, AFAIK, Johnson Controls makes the Diehard gold, Interstate, Motorcraft, Wal-Mart Everstart, Auto Zone Duralast, Pep Boys Prostart, Costco Kirkland, Advance Autoparts Autocraft, batteries and uses pretty much the same materials and Q.C. for all of them. If you're buying a Diehard make sure you check the date code to insure it's not been sitting on the shelf a year or two. There should be a alpha-numeric code indicating the month and year of manufacture (ie. E14 indicates May of 2014). Batteries will sulfurize if sitting for long periods of time, and this will greatly effect their life. Also if your battery is leaking at the terminals there's a good chance that the terminals were over-torqued (either by you or some clueless grease-monkey ).

• Fr
      21st of Nov, 2014

I purchased 2 die hard batteries and one didn't even make the six month mark before dying on me. They told me the battery was good at the first visit and the next time I spoke to a Carlo and I had to bring my car in to check even though I had an outside-mechanic check everything and my car runs great with interstate battery. Picture me letting Sears take my good battery out so they can look through and possibly mess up my charging system and they want to put on the old battery again lol? How can I trust anyone in Sears to take care of my cars if they are recommending crap products to me and my family? All I wanted is for a refund of one of the batteries which I purchased April 20 2014 for 152.05 and I would eat the loss on the other. They are not honest and don't have the decency to take care of the problem. Next I will post on Facebook and then I am sending a letter to Better business bureau and if I have to Sears is going to small claims court.

• Do
      5th of Jan, 2015

I am in agreement with the poor longevity of this particular battery. I am currently researching batteries so as to replace the Die Hard DH Gold GP 79 currently within my H2. Purchased the Die Hard on 8/15/2011 and now in the market to replace on 1/5/2015 due to longevity of 3 years and 4 months. I am going to determine the manufacturer of the battery within my wife's 2004 Jaguar XJ; I replaced the original battery a week ago thus it lasted in excess of 10 years. I know it will be expensive; but, at least one gets their money's worth.

• Tj
      28th of Sep, 2015

I’ve bought tires and batteries from Sears for a long time. My Tahoe got a new Diehard battery in 2008 (3-yr free replacement); needed replaced in 2011; which needed replaced in 2013; which needed replaced in 2015. Service adviser was very rude this year when I went in with a bad battery and kept insisting that there was something wrong with my Tahoe’s wires. I told him since my stock Tahoe currently has less than 100, 000 miles and only gets serviced by the local GM dealer that he was mistaken. Next time I have a dead Diehard battery; I’ll buy a battery somewhere else.

• Yo
      7th of Dec, 2015

Think this is discount double check on the consumer.. All the Platinum Batteries now are the former Gold Relabeled batteries and Johnson Controls/Sears is trying to make us PAY DOUBLE for what used to be a Sears Gold battery. My Ford Explorer 1999 Eddie Bauer had a Sears D Gold Diehard in it at the end of 2014. It had been in the vehicle for 7 years. Had the whole electrical system checked and put in a new alternator when I replaced the battery. Don't you know the Diehard Gold refused to start the car in less then 6 months in 2015? Went to the store they said a Cell was bad. Got a new one off the shelf and replaced it.. Two weeks later the Replacement Sears Gold Diehard battery Failed.. Not believing in any more OVER RATED SeaRs Gold Diehards.. they don't have the CC power that they used too. My neighbor a NASCAR mechanic says they only use Interstates because Sears/ Johnson Controls have lowered the quality of the Gold series batteries to make a Price point "space" for the Platinum series that they sell. .

• Pe
      22nd of Sep, 2016

Die Hard changed the warranty so now they at most carry a 4-year replacement warranty if you pay top dollar. Mine was bought in 2012 and it no longer hold charge. Had to pay a total about $150 for another 2-year warranty battery. And this is not the first time when a Die Hard battery failed before the "old" warranty is up. Guess I will not be going back any more.

• Jh
      2nd of Apr, 2017

I have bought Sears diehard batteries for over 30 years. They were always the best. I recently bought a battery from them and it was dead after one start. I tried to charge it and it would not charge. I then noticed they sold me a battery that was over 18 months old. When I took it back to Sears I pointed out how old the battery was and everyone on the shelf was less than 3 months old. They said it didn't matter. They put it on their tester and said it was fine and only needed charging. I let them charge it, they claimed it was fully charged. Of course it didn't even turn over my engine. I checked the charge and it was the same i when I took it to them- very depleted.

I have since bought another battery from a different store and my car is back to running just find. But I am out $185 from Sears because they claim their battery works fine. They are full of it. The truth is, this company is going out of business. They have old batteries on their shelves and I'm certain they are not topping them off. I will never step foot in a Sears again. However, I'm pretty certain no one will be able to set foot in that store again in a few months. You would be crazy to buy from them. It is sad to see a once great company go south so quickly.