Sears / appliance defects

William C. Crowley, Executive Vice President
3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179

Dear Mr. Crowley:

I am writing this letter to express my dissatisfaction with Sears customer service. Being a loyal customer for over 35 years, I would like to relate the following experience.

After our less than three year old Model 110.24082200 washing machine malfunctioned, I ordered the replacement water pump from the actual part number and parts list diagram, paying expedited freight charges. When the pump arrived, the unit was entirely different from the original unit and contained the entire motor assembly with stern warnings about returning if installed. I called your parts dept. and was told I had the wrong part for my machine and they would send the right replacement part. The next day, a duplicate part arrived and I called the parts dept and spoke to a supervisor (Dave) whose response was he would submit a request to Whirlpool Inc. and that it would take 5- 7 working days. He said that he had other customers who were more urgent. I contacted customer service and spoke to (Mary) who said she would try to expedite this request. I finally contacted Whirlpool directly and was told that this was to be a superseded replacement part.

After installing the new unit, I found the troubleshooting guide immersed in water and taped to the inner-panel of the machine. I then followed the guide and also replaced the machine motor that I purchased directly from Whirlpool and to no avail, as the machine still does not function properly.

I then called the local Hunt Valley store where I purchased the unit. The appliance salesman told me that I was out of luck as they had not sold the over $1000 machine in over two years due to the class action lawsuit and associated problems with the machine. Next, I attempted to contact the store manager and the phone would ring continuously with no answer. The switch board operator transferred my call to the jewelry dept saying, “the manager frequently hangs out there.”

I have invested over three hundred dollars in parts and Sears has yet to send a pick up tag to return the original part or credit me as originally promised. After reviewing the web site posting, most people have invested over $700.00 on repair visits for this washing machine

I have spent thousands of dollars at Sears buying everything from major appliances to lawn equipment to shop tools and machines for home and business. It has become clear that your employees care nothing about customer service. I do not intend to purchase any future items ever again from Sears due to the outrageously rude and unacceptable service that I have received.