Sears Auto Center / add on charges

1 Bridgeport, WV, United States Review updated:

During a recent visit to have new tires installed, the salesman outlined charges that were extra.New valves and stems, extra.Balance new tires, extra.This is on top of tires that are way overpriced to begin with.I needed tires now.Only have a sears card to cover that much.Big mistake.After tires were installed in much more time than was promised, the bill had a $100.00 LABOR FEE! This was not discussed prior to the billing transaction.This salesman was good.He not only recommended a sears exclusive tire, he charged me for istallation also.That is ok. Sears auto center has made their last dime off of me.

Comments

• Ng
      13th of Jun, 2009

It's actually a good thing that sears shows all of the add-ons. It's actually a way to change items to fit your needs. At discount tire and Costco, they automatically add things in, and you are still paying for them even though it says that it is free. The reason Sears does this is because there are many options to suit many vehicle types. There is a chrome valve stem option, and a regular rubber valve stem, also there are long and short valve stems, and high pressure stems for those who drive trucks. We can package everything together so that it looks like how costco sells them, because when customers see that there are OPTIONS they freak out and walk out because we are charging for too many things. I didn't think that it was a bad thing to give someone options, and we just put the ones that are tailored to each customer in so that you as a customer don't have to decide between the 20 or so valve stems options. Here's a hint: when you are tire shopping, use the exact same tire and make sure you are looking at tires with the exact same speed ratings. Also, look at the total price with EVERYTHING (road hazard, balancing, installation, valve stems, etc) Sears can and does beat Costco on several tires, and what they don't, they do price match. There are some tires that are branded differently, but are in essence the same exact tire, Sears will price match for a comparable tire also, so that the customer is always taken care of. Please if you have a problem with the service charges, do some homework, or ask to be shown around the industry. I do this for my customers and I have had 97% customer satisfaction feedback and most of my customers come back to me because I educate them about their purchases and exactly what the difference is when they buy from sears. I have noticed that a lot of people want a price of just the tire not realizing that tires at one place will be cheaper while installation is more expensive, and vice versa. And will not listen to me when I tell them that they need to look at the "whole" picture with installation and valve stems and road hazard.