Rogers Wireless / phone died before contract expired

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada Review updated:
I have a Blackberry wireless phone. I signed a three-year contract and purchased a warranty from the kiosk that was a Rogers dealer with the knowledge that if I didn't use the warranty I would get my money back.

I went to use the warranty when the screen on my phone cracked. Not covered. More over, the dealer went out of business and was replaced by another dealer - and the warranty - that company has gone bust too.

Ok, time to review my options.

1. Go to Telus
2. Purchase an iPhone
3. Purchase another Blackberry

As I was already a Rogers subscriber, in order for me to take advantage of all the offers on the table, I would have to pay a hefty upgrade fee - so I will waited.

I looked at iPhone but was not confident in the screen and the battery issue was a real turn off. Too bad as I was prepared to upgrade to the iPhone.

Over to the RIM's Blackberry Bold. Well, with a little bit of negotiation I managed to get a better upgrade price on the Bold and ordered one.

After a week I called Rogers and was told there was no stock.

A week later, I called again and was told that 1, 000 units came in, but I was not one of the recipients. Cancelled the order.

A day or two later, my existing Blackberry device stop working all together. Now I am on an emergency phone that I had in the dresser drawer. No data service, just the phone.

So, back to my first thought.

1. Go to Telus
2. Go to a Kiosk where service is so bad that the word customer should be imprinted on the forehead of every representative that works in these places.
3. Go back to Telus and wait for the Storm. But, the Storm doesn't have WiFi.

So Rogers - thanks for nothing.
Apple – Solve the battery issue
RIM – put WIFI in the Storm

Comments

Js
  27th of Nov, 2008
That's bizarre... I bought a Curve from Rogers a year ago and a renewed contract. Within a month, I damaged the phone somehow and the USB port stopped working. I called Rogers, explained the phone was not working, they sent me a new phone 2 days later. Another 6 months later, I dropped the phone (for the hundredth time) and cracked the screen. I called them, they sent me a new phone 2 days later. I never paid any 'protection insurance', nor any warranty fees, nothing but the monthly phone+data plan. They just send me a new (refurbished) phone whenever I break mine, which has happened at least 4 times in the past few years.

My understanding is that as long as you have a Rogers contract, they will replace your phone (with a same-model refurb), all you pay is the shipping fee. That's been my experience!

Rogers Logo Rogers