Having problems with Summit Source?

4203 Merchant Road
Fri9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

A sour taste in my mouth

A few months ago my wife and I purchased a satellite dish from Summit Source. I guess I should've done more research because I would've found that many people have had bad experiences with Summit Source. We received the dish in a timely fashion, but our installer informed us that the dish wouldn't work. After looking closely at the dish, he found a large dent in the side. The shipping box didn't appear to be damaged, which meant that Summit Source sent us a defective/damaged product. I contacted Summit Source to have them pick up the defective unit and replace it with a new one. 4 months later, the defective unit was still sitting in my house taking up space and I was still spending time that I don't have on the phone with Summit Source's customer service department. Finally, I filed a chargeback with my credit card company. Alas, Summit Source disputed my chargeback and has charged me an additional $121.56 for filing a chargeback in the first place. This is illegal. Summit Source is not allowed to charge the customer for the amount of money they incur due to filing a chargeback. I'm still fighting to get this charge removed. In the meantime, I will be posting this review on as many consumer websites as possible. As a business owner myself, I know how customers should be treated, and I certainly don't want anyone else to be treated as poorly as I've been treated by Summit Source.

summitsource May 14, 2010

We process 100's of orders each an every day. We try very hard to satisfy all of our customers, but realize this does not happen from time to time.

In reference to this order, I would like to point out a couple misrepresentations I feel readers should know. To start off, when this customer first contacted us, he stated that he had ordered the incorrect item. After we advised him of the return process he then called back and stated that the item was defective. Because of this we insisted we get the damaged product back to verify it was in fact damaged.

We instructed him to report the damage to UPS so we would be able to start an exchange and give him a replacement. He at first refused to do this, but later said he would make the item available for pick up. It took UPS three attempts to final pick up the product.

In the mean time he initiated a chargeback even after we told him he would receive a replacement unit. As a result of the chargeback the customer did incur collection costs associated with the retrieval of his chargeback and was later invoiced for this amount. He also refused shipping insurance of $1.50 and as a result was liable for the replacement cost of the damaged piece of the antenna and original shipping.

We are a discount merchant and we price our products in a similar way that a wholesaler would. We are not a retail store. Retail stores mark-up their prices to include fees such as cancellations, returns, chargeback, and much more. In order to keep our prices low and competitive with other discount merchants, we do not include all these hidden fees within the price of our product. We do on the other hand clearly state them in our terms and conditions of which each customer must agree upon. The customer new before he initiated the chargeback, that he would be liable for chargeback fees and collection costs.

Received a Defective Product followed by the WORST customer service

A few months ago my wife and I purchased a satellite dish from Summit Source. I guess I should’ve done more research because I would’ve found that many people have had bad experiences with Summit Source. We received the dish in a timely fashion, but our installer informed us that the dish wouldn’t work. After looking closely at the dish, he found a large dent in the side. The shipping box didn’t appear to be damaged, which meant that Summit Source sent us a defective/damaged product. I contacted Summit Source to have them pick up the defective unit and replace it with a new one. 4 months later, the defective unit was still sitting in my house taking up space and I was still spending time that I don’t have on the phone with Summit Source’s customer service department. Finally, I filed a chargeback with my credit card company. Alas, Summit Source disputed my chargeback and has charged me an additional $121.56 for filing a chargeback in the first place. This is illegal. Summit Source is not allowed to charge the customer for the amount of money they incur due to filing a chargeback. I’m still fighting to get this charge removed. In the meantime, I will be posting this review on as many consumer websites as possible. As a business owner myself, I know how customers should be treated, and I certainly don’t want anyone else to be treated as poorly as I’ve been treated by Summit Source.

summitsource May 14, 2010

Very helpful and quick to respond

I ordered an antenna from Summit Source and when I got it, it was missing bracket. Sam in customer service...

Horrible customer service

This is a company built around planned poor customer service.
They take an adversarial approach to their customers right from the start.

On Sunday, June 14th, '09 I was lured to their website by claims of having the lowest price on the internet guaranteed.

I was specifically looking for the Channel Master CM-7000 Digital converter box.

At $41.75 it was the lowest price I could find on the net (without having a $40.00 government coupon).

The real surprise came at checkout in regards to the shipping price.
Padded is an understatement! In addition I was slammed into paying an additional $1.50 for shipping insurance which you are not given a choice about, it's just added in.

The total shipping price is stated AFTER they have your credit card number.

Since totaled I would save about 8 bucks from the local sale price (which I would have to wait for) I figured why not just buy it from them and get it sooner.

BIG MISTAKE!!!

I can stomach padded shipping if the customer service is excellent but it was just the opposite with Summit Source.

Today, 6/17/09 according to their website, the status of my order was still pending so I decided to call the company to find out when they were planning to ship it.

I made 3 calls and was never able to talk to anyone and was sent to voice mail so on the 3rd call I left a message telling them to cancel the order and if they didn't I was going to file a credit card dispute.

I left my number on their voice mail but instead of returning my call they sent an email.

Basically they said the order was shipped and they provided a tracking number.

The email also said that they do not accept verbal cancellations and provided a link to their TOS.

In short, the message was very clear.

We are a greedy company and once we have your money you will never get it back.

Since we intentionally plan on giving you the worst customer service possible we safeguard ourselves against filing a credit card dispute by hitting you up with a bunch of bogus charges if you try to do so.

Being that that order had already shipped, I emailed them back stating that I did not want to cancel the order and also voiced my complaints to the.

So far they have not returned my email.

Summit Source uses deceptive lo-ball pricing and more than make up for it with their inflated shipping charges.

They deliberately plan a negative consumer experience and do everything possible to insure that their customers have no recourse.

Bottom line, stay away from this company. Do Not Buy anything from them. They deserve to go out of business!

• Ba
    Bad Biz Jun 30, 2009

I completely and totally agree. I was a walk in to their store, I try to support local businesses, (Fort Wayne, IN), if at all possible. This owner attacked me the moment I walked in with my return. I specifically asked if I could return the item if my husband didn't like it (I dealt with the owners Son and another employee), there was nothing mentioned about a "Restocking fee". The Owner continued to validate his claim saying it was legally printed all over their website...I was a walk in, didn't use the internet. On my receipt, there is no mention of any "fee" of any kind!!!

He literally had me in tears by the time I left!!!

summitsource Jul 31, 2009

Summit Source has been in business for over 25 years. We have over 100, 000 happy and loyal customers. If we have not been doing something right, we would not have made it as far as we have.

I am not familiar with each of your orders, but I can attest to how hard our customer service representatives work each and everyday to provide products at some of the greatest prices found online. I am also sorry that you had a hard time reaching us. We pride ourselves with handling a large volume of business without having to out-source our customer service. If you happened to call and not reached someone, that is because all of our lines were tied up with other callers. We often use email as our preferred avenue for contact because it saves both us and our customers time.

I also am somewhat offended by your comments towards our shipping as "padded." Our shipping department tries to find the best shipping rates for each and every one of our customers. Also, the additional shipping insurance was put into place after many customers requested it. It is in fact optional and each person has the choice to un-check the box.

As for the chargeback fee, I would love the opportunity to address this point. When a person initiates a chargeback with their credit card company. The merchant (i.e. summit source) is charged a fee from the credit card company no matter what the outcome. Just as merchants are charged a fee for each and every transaction. People forget that credit card processing is full of fees that are passed onto the merchant. We urge customers to work out a refund/in-store credit or exchange whenever possible in order to avoid this fee being passed through to them.

marketingdrivessales Jan 17, 2011

Something is definitely wrong with the summitsource.com website and they really might want to consider getting a website consultant involved because the shipping fees apparently are incorrect as of this writing on 1-16-2011 and it is VERY IMPORTANT for retailers' IT department/WEBMASTER to update their site making corrections and mention of product availability/stock supply evident-(I did not go so far as to input my credit card number to find out about any insurance fees.) I tried to initiate an order tonight and since the item that I wanted really did not require any special handling, I picked the cheapest ground shipping which was stated as $11 and some change for an item that was around 8 lbs or probably much less. When I proceeded to the checkout section it immediately increased the ground shipping to $17 and some change which prompted me to search online for any possible complaints about this vendor and I found this site.

After reading this I decided to opt for amazon and used my $10 gift card plus their free shipping to order the product at a great discount with the assurance as a long term customer of reliability and EASY return policy if by chance there is anything wrong with our LAVA HD-2605 antenna!

Awful experience

Some time ago I had a most unfortunate experience with Summit Source, a supplier of consumer electronics. I had purchased an outdoor TV amplifier but it turned out not to work as advertised. I tried repeatedly to contact Summit Source but they did not respond to emails or telephone calls. Ultimately, I had no choice but to challenge the credit card charge, which is called a "chargeback." That got their attention but then they tried to charge me another $50 for the chargeback. They disputed my assertion to VISA that their device did not function. The credit card company suggested I return the device to Summit Source for a refund, which I did. But VISA (not the bank associated with my credit card) decided that Summit Source's general claim that I was wrong was sufficient to decide in its favor despite the clear facts presented. As an electrical engineer I knew exactly what had happened and why the device was not as advertised. But the charge was reinstated. Meanwhile, I had returned the device to Summit Source, repackaged and suitable for return to the manufacturer. However, Summit Source refused to respond to my refund request though it had the device and my payment in full. I then complained by letter to the Indiana Attorney General who ultimately recommended a private legal action against Summit Source, which of course from Virginia is a little ridiculous over a matter of $70 or so. Bottom line: I would never ever allow a friend to do business with Summit Source. Like many companies, even those that are inherently marginal or shady, there is a likelihood of having no problem in a purchase (assuming the item is in stock). The test comes when there is a problem. Summit Source fails without question.

• Mr
    Mr.Bojangles Sep 22, 2009

Bought an DB2 HDTV Antenna from them, They sent it in it's display box!, (No packaging box), Somehow got a hole in it and I lost ALL the assembly hardware, I contacted them about it several time's and received NO response, Very UNPROFESSIONAL company!Avoid at all cost!!!

• Sb
    SBB11642 Mar 28, 2011

Summit Source is the absolute worse company I have ever delt with. They are the total opposite of what a consumer expects with customer sevice. It appears that they work overtime trying to figure out how to develop their policies and website to rip off consumers.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices