McAfee / no real interenet protection, anti virus scan blocking, very inefficient customer support

Luxembourg Review updated:

I can only agree with all the complaints on McAfee: Do not get involved with Mcafee. I bought a total protection since one year.
Their crap software indicated a site as safe whereas I believe my computer got infected. When trying to run a full scan it blocked. I was connected to McAfee support for 4 nights in a row last week - they did not manage to fix it. They were supposed to call back yesterday and this morning and they never did. When I contacted them they could not care less and did not want to help further saying not available although we had agreed on a timing to try for the 5th time to solve this. When last connected to my computer they even uninstalled the product completely so now there's no computer protection at all (not that McAfee did help with something it proves...).

Their software and client service (be it Tier 1 or Tier 2) is crap. They initially asked me to buy a $89 additional product to remove a trojan or virus. I agree with what anther customer says that their foreign call center is a horrible. They are like robots. They do not have a log of everything already said or done so this is completely no respect for the customer. I wasted 10-12hours last week to now be without any anti virus. The conversations are bizarre. It doesn't matter what you say, they respond as if you said something else. Maybe they just read off a paper but they will not address what you say.

Do not get McAfee - waste of money, time, no respect for the client or client time.

Comments

• Bb
      Jun 09, 2010

This PIECE OF GARBAGE software used 125 GIGABYTES on my hard drive, just for it to run. That is again: one hundred and twenty five gigabytes! After I uninstalled it, the space on my hard drive went from 28 GB to 153GB. No wonder my hard drive kept "filling up" inexplicably.

Also their "Customer service" is in a word: HORRIBLE.

I would not use this disasterous AV software again even if it was free. No kidding.

DO >>>> NOT <<<< GET mcafeee!

AOL SUCKS and so does anything they own!!!

• Bb
      Jun 19, 2010

stealth pilot -- a/k/a mcafee SHILL?COMPANY EMPLOYEE. Why the hell would I make this up??? It is what it is - genius - apiece of GARBAGE program that literally SEIZED 125 GIGABYTES of space on my PC. Immediately after the mcafee idiot ran the mcafee removal tool, I GAINED 125 GB of space back on my PC. I have norton now, and this did NOT take up even a single GB.

Now little mcafee SHILL, get back to your bosses at mcafee and ask them what to say this time!!

Jul 03, 2010

no antivirus can take gigabyte of space i have tested all they all may be garbage none took that much space . this look like new virus ...thanks i got some thing to reseach on

Jul 03, 2010

Bbb1

no anti virus can take that much space, they all may be garbage but this doesnt happen .
    could be a virus ... will research on it

• Bl
      Oct 02, 2010

If only I had read these so very very bad MacAfee reviews I could have been saved tremendous anxiety and cost. McAfee protection is an expensive send up. Last month I renewed my subscription; the money went from my account and I removed the old program and installed the replacement. This was where the trouble started. Three days after the purchase I received a notification that my new version of McAfee was expired. At great expense I rang customer services and was told I was correct that I had paid for the renewal but i was told i needed to talk to a technician who would check my computer by remote but for this they wanted the sum of £54 refundable if no virus was found. No virus was found and McAfee successfully downloaded the version that had disappeared. Some days later my money was refunded. This happened twice. Both times £54 went in an out of my account for five days. Two days ago the third time, being a 67 year old woman I got hysterical with McAfee support refused to hand over any more of my pension money and insisted on a full refund as I no longer trusted McAfee. Hysterics prevailed and a hasty promise of a refund was made. I have a five day wait for my cash back and in the meantime have had to pay out for a Kaspersky replacement. So far Kaspersky is good for me.

Dec 17, 2010

Report, report!

Dec 17, 2010

So you panic...everyone can witness your cowardice.
    Yeah, sit back and enjoy your cheap victory.
    This is a good opportunity to move on to different sites to be heard.
    AND to report you to authorities more serious than CB, you know?
    So long, crook.

Dec 27, 2010

DONE !

• Dr
      Feb 18, 2011

I agree MacAfee sucks I originally purchased a one year contract with Mac Afee cause it came highly reccomended as one of the best . At first there were no problems with it till I upgraded to Windows 7 then I started having problems. Got that fixed again no problems at all except for the fact that the software mysteriously stops working 3 weeks before it's time to renew it then all of a sudden it stops working and all you get is oh your computer is unprotected and renew your subscription notices and that's with three weeks left on the subscription which I found strange but never the less we renewed for another year. Well low and behold 2 weeks ago again the Mac Afee came up as not working again that the real time scanning had been turned off and to turn it back on. When I tried to turn it back on up came the please renew your software for continious service, huh we still had a month on the original contract. They ripped us off on the final thirty days that we had already paid for. I contacted them because actually our renewal date isn't until the 26th of this month and I was informed I should go ahead and renew now. I informed them that we planned on renewing on the 24th thats still 2 days until expiration date. And they informed me that there really was nothing they could do until then WTH I basically informed them that their software was crap and no this time we would not be renewing. I removed the software off both computers a couple of days ago which actually sucks cause we're entitled to it until the 26th but oh well. I suggest tryiny Microsoft Security Essentials one it's free and it works great. It's what I've been using and I love it . It's actually a much better Antivirus Spyware program than Mac Afee . I will never use Mac Afee again if I can help it.

• Sn
      Jul 31, 2011

I found the McAfee software to be useless in blocking or removing Trojans. It is very invasive, and slows up the operation of my laptop. I spent five hours trying to get their customer representative in East India to cancel the $90 automatic renewal. More like malware than a genuine antivirus utility.

Feb 04, 2013

loss of anti-virus security for my laptop .

• Re
      Jan 22, 2016

Dear McAfee,

Every time I try to type something important, your ad always pops up on my screen and I can't see my typing. Even if I have a timer for typing on a test your ad still pops up, the ad takes a couple minutes to delete it and my teacher wants me to have a good accuracy rate on my test. My teacher also wants correct words on my test. My teacher wants not many mistakes.