Kohl's / unfair late fees

1 RI, United States Review updated:

A Kohl's employee hounded me into getting a credit card that would give a 15% discount and I stupidly gave in. I never went back to Kohl's again. After receiving my first statement, I made my first payment and never made another purchase or received another statement. 8 months later I get a call from the collections department indicating that I owed late fees and interest totally twice my original purchase. I was flabbergasted. Apparently, they could not cash a cheque from Canada (where I live). They made no effort to inform me of this until my account racked up 8 months of fees when they could charge late fees on top of late fees. This has to be illegal.

Comments

• Ai
      23rd of May, 2011

That's...absolutely astounding. I cannot believe that they didn't call you, or write you...they clearly had your address, because you got a statement...and they're more than apt to give out credit cards to Canadian citizens...I've even had a couple from Canada apply and receive a card...

I'm truly sorry this happened to you. Did you speak with customer service to try and get this all sorted out?

• Fr
      23rd of May, 2011

Customer service has done nothing for me, however, I get several harassing calls a day from the Collection Department. I request that they check into the situation but they never do. Every new caller, like you, is surprised about my situation and promises to look into it. Kohl's is scamming people with false late fees and the harassing phone calls are all part it. If you are honest Kohl's employee then be aware of what the Collections Department is doing. It is scam.