JCPenney Perfect Home Rewards / sneaky enrollment tactic!

Clearwater, FL, United States Review updated:
4.85

Buyers beware when placing an order on www.jcpenney.com - i've ordered from them in the past without a problem. Today I placed an order in my bosses name for items we need at work and at the end of the transaction is says something like "click here to sign up for a free newsletter and receive $10 off the order you just placed" - so I figured it was worth some email junk mail to save $10 for my boss since times are tough... After you enter your email address, a page flashes (Read it fast because it doesn't stay up long and you can't get it back!) saying i've just enrolled in a $9.95/month shopping program!!! I couldn't print it because I wasn't hooked up to a printer and I can't get the page back so I can't pull up the terms... I immediately called jc penney's 800 number and they said they couldn't do anything about it and I had to call jc penney perfect home rewards at [protected] or visit their website: www.perfecthomerewards.com. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they just put me on hold forever until I gave up and hung up. I called the 877 number and was told I wouldn't show up in the system for a few days and that I would have to call back then. So now I have to put a reminder on my calendar to call them back using my cell phone minutes to try and stop them from charging the credit card for something I didn't want in the first place because of their deceptive practices!! On their website one of the faqs is "how did I enroll in perfect home rewards" - which means I am not the only one confused about how I signed up! English is my 1st language and I went to college and it was not clear I was signing up for a paid shopping program until it was too late!!!

Comments

Co
  23rd of Dec, 2008
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
At Stonebridge Benefit Services nothing is more important than our customers' satisfaction and our Company's reputation. We take pride in researching and responding to customer concerns. If you would like for us to research your concerns, please forward your information, such as name, address, phone number or membership number to us at custrel@aegonusa.com, by fax to 972-881-4072 or by mail to 2700 West Plano Parkway, Plano TX 75075.
Yo
  10th of Jun, 2009
I had placed an order to JcPenny's also and I have been on the rewards program 9 months without knowing and being charged $9.95! I am so mad what can a person do! I will not order from Penny's catolog again!
Yo
  10th of Jun, 2009
This is a rip off I had know idea that I enrolled in this program almost 9 months ago I would like to see my signature! I will never order from Penny's again! They had better credit me my $9.95 from back to October! I am calling the better bussiness burea!
Ly
  11th of Jun, 2009
I spole to David at Stonebridge Benefits and discovered I had a membership number and had agreed to join a club, which costs $9 and change each month. He agreed I could cancel the 'membership' and JC Penney would return 3 months of payments. The trick on this scam is that it is not consistent. One month money disappears, then nothing happens for a while, then month goes again. Will I see my money returned? David says yes but I'm not holding my breath. I *do* know I'll never shop at J. C. Penney's again.
We
  24th of Jul, 2010
I too got enrolled just trying to order bedding for my sons crib. Nothing about a membership on the website, it lures you in with a ten dollar coupon scam. I really think its unethical to sign customers up without their consent by advertising extra coupon off their order. The only thing that saved me, was I happen to read the terms and agreement and see membership pf 9.95 at the end of my order. That was the first time I have ordered from JCP and will be the last time.
Jj
  4th of Aug, 2010
JC penney USED TO BE my favorite online retailer because of their great prices. We've paid $50 so far before we caught the charges on our bills. After arguing with the agent at Stonebridge (aka JC Penney Home Rewards Program), she said she'd credit back 4 months --- the best she could do.

WHAT A $%&#@ SCAM!

I will NEVER NEVER buy from JC Penney again.
Je
  23rd of Aug, 2010
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
I've got to say I disagree with these comments. Programs like these are not scams...you just have to read the fine print and be responsible enough to accept or decline, and if you accept you need to remember to cancel it if you don't want it after the free 30 day trial. It's very simple, you get a free trial which allows you time to claim the $10, they even send you an email with your membership info and how to log in with your membership number and login to claim the $10 and there's also a $15 utility rebate to claim. So I do all this within the 30 days...plus they don't even charge you the $9.95 until 45 days after enrollment, which is stated in the terms and conditions before you enroll, so this gives you extra time to receive the materials in the mail...which is better than other programs like this cuz they'll charge you right at the 30 day mark. I'm expericenced with programs like this...I enroll just for the perks then I cancel before I get charged...or if I do get charged for the first month it's easy to call and cancel and get a refund for that first month. How can you people not know that you've been charged for nearly 9 months?! That's your own fault for not being responsible enough to check your bank account! I log into my account everyday online...so if there's ever anything out of the ordinary I will know immediatley! Or if you have a credit card that you used, they have online access as well...I have 5 credit cards and have online access to all of them!
I don't work for JCPenney or Perfect Home Select...I'm just giving my opinion and saying that it's not the programs fault..it's the users. But I do sales over the phone and I have to offer a club where the customer gets a 30 day trial and the customer has to clearly agree to enroll or not...I have to get a clear YES!, in order to enroll them...so I can't see how someone can place an order over the phone and not know they're being enrolled in something when the rep is explaining it. Pay attention people...

I love shopping at JCPenney! :) I love the cute name brand clothes for my kids!
Je
  23rd of Aug, 2010
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Oh also...I just recently was enrolled in 2 other programs like this and I received 2- $25 WalMart gift cards just for trying the memberships! One of them I cancelled but the other, SavingsAce, I'm keeping just for this month because I made a JCPenney online purchase through the SavingsAce site and I'm earning 20% cash back from my order! Plus I sent in a shipping rebate from my order to receive $5 back and another shopping rebate for $10 back! Then I'll cancel before I get charged another monthly fee and I'll get my first month fee refunded! You can really benefit from these programs if you know how to do it! :)
Wa
  25th of Sep, 2010
This Perfect Home Select program is straight forward with a little reading. You can't just take the $10.00 benefit with out reading about the trial period you did sign up for. Cancel within thirty days like is clearly stated and you won't have any charges. I'm just a customer and it is all spelled out in plain English.
Sw
  11th of Oct, 2010
I happened to me as well.. I will not order from Penny again...
Tj
  24th of Oct, 2010
I agree with the others who have left complaints because I also ordered and quote, signed up for the rewards but I NEVER received any other information after this date only the ten dollar rebate check. I have been waiting for the mail and there has been nothing in my email nor the us mail...yes I agree this is a shady way to get people in and I also agree that there should be more information. I still called to cancel and I have not been able to get a live person on the phone but I won't give up until I am withdrawn from this program. I think it is always deceitful when there is a limited access to a program and the person who left the detailed message is wrong about it not being shady. It is a tactic they use in RETAIL to get you in and then never supply the information so you are able to readily cancel it. That is the major complaint!!! Some people do this all the time and make money on it...so you have to look at it that way too. I agree very shady for such a great company as JC Penny. I do love to shop in their store so this won't stop me but I know not to sign up for this kind of quick scheme again.
Jo
  1st of Nov, 2010
I agree with the complaint. I went onto the Penney's website to buy a wedding gift for my nephew. I don't recall the popup, but I know myself: I would simply never agree to anything like this because I have no use for the actual program, and I know the headache and risk (it can end up costing much) is not worth it. I just noticed this $9.95 charge on my October statement, but I had been getting billed for it since April!!! $69.65!! They agreed to credit $39.80, so they scammed $30 out of me.
Bi
  2nd of Nov, 2010
This happened to me too. I will never shop at JC Penney again because of this. It would be one thing if it was solely an issue of tricking people into joining by misleading and hiding what the coupon will cost you monthly, but their web site also has no way to cancel (if you can even log into it) so the only way to cancel is to call and sit on hold for over half an hour. Shame on you Stonebridge and JC Penney. This is terrible business practice. You just lost a shopper for life.
An
  12th of Nov, 2010
I just caught the charges today! I'm so angry, and when I call the office it is closed! if they do not refund the 2 months charges I will never shop at JCPenneys again! Nothing worse than someone taking advantage of you!!
  4th of Dec, 2010
I contacted Stonebridge also, they refused to offer refund of more than one month, I have to cancel my credit card and get another one to stop this from happening again. I also called JCP customer service and filed a complaint. I also filed a BBB Dallas complaint. I did not enroll in this and did not receive anything after they started billing me. I made a catalog order around the time this started. No more and I suggest others stop shopping JCP if this is how they are going to operate. It is too bad since they have good products. I will be going to the local TV stations next since they love to expose consumer fraud and have helped many in the past. Shoppers beware. We should not have to read all the fine print on every receipt to see if something is hidden in the paperwork.
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Why would people be submitting comments on this website if they are not employees of Sontebridge? Obviously they are trying to counter the complaints? Warnerrobins? Jenniamanda25? It isn't working and you are co conspirators. It is fraud and you are driving away JCP customers at a time when they need business.
Rl
  4th of Dec, 2010
I would not have known I had signed up for this if I hadn't spotted a strange charge
in my AMEX bill.I disputed the charge and it was immediately removed.

I will never buy from JC Penny again and I love my American Express
  6th of Dec, 2010
I have now filed complaints with my bank, JCP corp, BBB Dallas and the FBI. These are deceptive business practices and will not be tolerated so grab all you can AEGONE USA aka Stonebridge your days are numbered. Maybe you should check with the Obama administration for a new job.
Jc
  9th of Dec, 2010
Obviously they know they are doing something wrong. I just noticed I had 3 months of charges on my card. So I called the company today and told them that I have no idea what I paid for these 3 months and if I was signed up for something, I should have received a confirmation email or some list of benefits. And she was quick to refund my money. They know they are pulling a scam on people and don't want to get caught. They are probably making good money on the people who just cancel the account and don't fight the previous charges.
Ba
  13th of Dec, 2010
Our business has been getting a lot of calls from these guys. They are asking questions about our interac machine and other sensitive information. We have not had any problems beyond this because we have not given out any info for them to use. They have been calling from a local Montreal number that appears like this on the call display: RTS INC 514-273-7626 it is listed to the same address in the original complaint. Arrgh

JC Penney Company Logo JC Penney Company