Complaints & Reviews

unauthorized credit card charges!

I ordered a pair of shoes at J.C. Penney online for my wife at Christmas. They didn't have the shoes in stock at the store, but they did online. We have done business at the J.C. Penney store in our mall for years and have had no problems at all, so we figure buying online would be no different, that was our first mistake. We order the shoes on the 19th but they didn't arrive until after Christmas, then in January we have a $9.95 charge from SBS FUN FAMILY show up on our credit card statement, at first I did not connect the two together as I assumed it was something that my wife had ordered, she also seen the charge and assumed it was something that I had ordered. This month I seen the same charge on our statement and asked my wife about it, she did not know anything as she thought it was something I had charged. I looked back and found that SBS FUN FAMILY had charged us $9.95 for the past three months for a promotional program that I had not authorized, it took several phone calls to find out who I needed to call to resolved the issue. The number to call and cancel SBS FUN FAMILY is [protected]. I called and asked them to cancel the program, as I had not ordered it, in the process of canceling the customer service rep had the gall to try and sell me more programs such as life insurance, discount tickets, etc. I very abruptly stopped each of his sales speeches in midstream and demanded I just wanted to cancel SBS FUN FAMILY and wanted a refund of all monies that they had taken from me, he obliged but not before one more effort to sell me something else. I demanded a cancellation confirmation number and as I wrote it down yet one more attempt on his part to sell another service, I ended the call. We are also going to the J.C. Penney store in the mall and complain to the management there as we are considering never shopping at J.C. Penney again, internet for sure, mall still under question. The company that J.C. Penney uses for this scam is Stonebridge Benefit Services, 2700 West Plano Parkway, Plano, TX 75075.

• Jc
    JC Pilfer Sep 11, 2009

They are still doing this scam as of September 2009. I guess it's true, in Texas their Blood Simple. So ya all, ya better not shop there no more. He Haw.

medical reimbursement fraud!

Optical department provided a quote for standard optical exam and glasses. The optical office operations charged the total amount at time of service not discounting the expected insurance reimbursement. JC Penney's then filed the claim. The insurance company then reimbursed PC Penney’s and not me, the customer. Therefore JC Penney's was paid twice. However, PC Penney's refuses neither to refund the payment to me nor to send back to the insurance company.

If this is not a unique situation, I'd be happy to join a class action suit for medical insurance fraud.

totally frustrated - paid $1799.64 for couch with missing (damaged) legs

Couches delivered by jcpenney had two legs damaged upon delivered. Driver convinced us that since only the legs got damaged that they would immediately send out replacements if we would keep the furniture. I have called furniture cust svc 12/10, 12/26, 1/2, 1/11, 1/14, 1/15, 1/25, 2/4 and emailed twice with no satisfaction. I am told someone will get back to me & no one calls back. I have asked for a supervisor and am never allowed to talk to one. Still no legs, Skirt of couch is getting ruined from lying on floor. Totally frustrated- paid $1799.64 for couch with missing (damaged) legs and it is now March.

closed credit!

I am blown away right now after reading of the nightmares people have suffered at the hands of this GE Money Bank. In the last two weeks I too have had my little problems with this Bank. In the form of my credit cards, namely JCPenney and Lenscrafters. To my shock last week while making a purchase at JCPenney I was told my credit account was closed. I owe approximately $550 on this account. My purchase was $44. I was so embarrassed. I am not a person who wants the world to know her business and that day about 15 people who I never want to see again knows more about me than I'd like them to know. All because Penney's personnel like to speak to the whole store instead of the person in front of them. Doesn't matter that I have been a loyal consumer for 38 years. It seems that I had been late 6 times over a defined period and now I am a risk. JCPenney company evidently likes to turn their credit business to a less than desirable credit grantor (GEMoney). Penney's employee told me that this defined period is in the "agreement" I signed. I don't think so as I was 18 years old when that happened and GEMoney wasn't in the picture. Anyway, I had gotten past this up to today when I received a letter from GEMoney Bank regarding my Lenscrafter account. Which has not been used since 10/06. And no current balance! GEMoney has chosen to close this account also and report it to the Credit Bureau closed by credit grantor! I am over the moon about this. First, I didn't give them permission to run a credit check on this account because I had no reason to. Isn't there some law against this privacy invasion? Am I just stupid or what? There has to be some restitution for this humiliation. This makes me look like a real dead beat. I will be a bundle of nerves when I have to make application for credit in the future. Yes, I will request a credit report and will fight this on every level possible. At this time, I wouldn't darken the doorways of either JCPenney's or Lenscrafters. They endorse a unreliable less than honest bank.

• Da
    darciess May 13, 2009

Something very similar happened to me all because JCP incompletely processed my change of address so that I didn't get my bill. As soon as I finally was notified on the bill I paid it that day. Still, they closed my account. I won't shop there for any reason. They have some sleazy, dishonest practices.

horrible stylists!

I had went to the JC Penney for the first time a couple years ago. All my friends had told me I should get a...

scam and fraud!

I brought my watch into the watch dept on Dec 26 to have two links taken out. They asked me to wait one hour...

scam and rip off!

My husband passed away Jan. 12, 2008, in Roanoke Times Obituary. His name on policy was Lloyd E. Orange. Last week I called J C Penny's insurance and asked where to send the death certificate. Oh, no, they said you aren't getting anything. I said but even years ago, the insurance company said on case of death spouse would receive a large portion of the insurance. Oh, by the way, I have a bible show every morning. I will discuss in detail how it is with J. C. Penny's cardholders.

Sincerely,
Marilyn Orange, J. C. Penny Cardholder.

unauthorized bank charge!

I was balancing my checkbook one night and noticed an unknown charge for 9.95 from SBS Family Fun. I was very confused about the charge as I did not authorize it. I called the number provided and found the number was apparently associated with JCPenney. I am very upset. I have not made a purchase from JCPenney in over 2 months! Suddenly they are taking money directly from my checking account?? What can be done about this? I want justice!!! Plz advise smb!

• Re
    Rex Morris Nov 27, 2007

We also have suddenly had $9.95 charged to our credit card by Sbs fun Family and are very upset. Please let us know what we can do to stop this. We never signed up for this. So far there have been 2 charges. Please advise what we can do.

• Ka
    kathleen titolo Dec 19, 2007

I have been getting unauthorized charges on my credit card since Aug.07. I was not aware until this months bill and began investigating.

• El
    Elaine Apr 26, 2008

These advertizements and the end of on-line purchases should not be allowes.
    It is too hard to get off of the website of the stores I am making a purchase from.

• Ki
    Kimberly Scott Apr 30, 2008

Just want to say that I have had the same problem with SBS Family Fun taking money out of my account. I do not understand how I signed up for this. I must not have read the fine print and think it happened with the free shipping. I fell into something that I am very aware of that happens quite easily since I work in the Magazine business and they partner with stores and do this all of the time.

The one blog in this list was very helpful as the phone # was not printing on my statement and I was at a loss as to how to contact them. Thank you for that.

I did call the number and they were very good about cancelling my subscription to their service. Now they did try to get me to keep it and did continue to try to sell me stuff but I just said no after 10 months of their 9.95 withdrawals coming out of my account.

In a nut shell this is a company that sells gas cards, restaurant gift cards and shopping gift cards. They sell them for $20 each and they are valued at $25. Then they try to get you take accident insurance. Clearly is an insurance company.

Anyway, you can cancel fairly easily by calling 888-527-6839. Good luck to you all. 100.00 later.
    Not to mention the throwing off of my balancing.

All is well that ends well

Jacqueline May 09, 2008

Wow! They got me too! I'm so upset how can they do this. I bought my bridesmaid dress from JC Penny it was my first time shopping with the store and defiantly the last. I was disgusted to find out they could charge me 9.95 a month with out my permission.

• Ve
    Vera Holloway Mar 12, 2009

they got me too!!! this is so dishonest. i want out and i am having a heck of a time stopping these withdrawls. i ask that they be stopped a month ago and still i check my account and one 9.95 taken out and then 12.00 for an SB insurance, that i have no knowledge of taken out all without my permission!

allowing dogs in store!

I was in JC Penney's at Cottonwood Mall, in Albuquerque, NM on Nov. 5, 2007. A black lady was at the Jewelry counter across from where I was and a white lady came in with a dog, she was a friend of the black lady. I am allergic to dogs so I asked my salesperson if dogs were allowed in the store. He said no, but he couldn't do anything about it, he was not a manager. I told the lady, dogs were not allowed, because no one said anything to her. She basically attacked me and came right in my face which was a threat. She called the manager, Joel, she said he was a friend of hers and indeed, he must have been. He did nothing about the dog and so the lady with the dog, sat down on the floor, in the middle of the isle and played with the dog. I left and I had Joel walk me to my car, for fear I would be attacked outside. He said they have had issues with this lady before and she has a nasty temper.

When I got home, I called the store manager and he said Joel had informed him of the incident. He said it wasn't clear what the rules were about dogs, other than service dogs, which are big dogs and very well behaved. This was a puppy, jumping all around. He said they would have to talk about it and decide if dogs could be in the store or not. If JC Penney allows dogs in their stores, you will not see me there. Can you imagine them running around where the clothes are, peeing on floors or worse. No thanks!

I hope your decision will be NO PETS, or you may end up with LESS HUMANS. Guess who buys things, it sure isn't pets.

Thank you, Rachel Springer.

• Mi
    Mike Aug 15, 2008

This is by far one of the stupidest, idiotic trends taking place these days! I for one DO NOT appreciate dogs wherever I (with family in tow) may shop. I think it is a recipe for disaster. One incident took place when I was not around my family (in retrospect I thank GOD) - My wife and kids were out at HOME DEPOT, she is pregnant and was going through her "nesting" stage and wanted to check out some paint colors for the soon-to--be baby's room. A small Caucasian lady (for lack of a better word) had brought a large dog into the store. The dog came close to my oldest son (4 y/o) and the lady could not stop him (she was being pulled by him). My son told him, "no, go away!" The lady then quickly attempted to scold my son (while my wife was checking out paint samples), asking him "why are you talking to my dog, if you have something to say, say it to me!" My wife, came unglued and told her that a dog should not be in the store, and the dog is obviously not under her control... she had the audacity to take offense to my wife's comment and left the store soon after getting what she needed, being dragged to her car by the large dog. To top it off, NOT ONE EMPLOYEE SAID ONE WORD!

Like I said, THANK GOD I was NOT there! I carry a concealed weapon (better to have it and NOT NEED IT, than NEED IT and NOT HAVE IT!) and during that incident, I would have probably pulled on that damn dog...

Anyhow...

1) only service animals should be allowed in most stores (MOST even have signs)... Stupidity does not allow one to have a service animal.

2) clearly this lady did NOT HAVE CONTROL of her animal.

3) why didn't anyone tell this lady no damn dog in the store?!?! She was obviously not sight impaired!

I wonder, what would a general manager prefer. An incident where a dog bites a child, or one where someone shoots a dog??? GM's feel free to chime in!

• Ab
    abrego May 11, 2014

Fine. You don't want dogs in stores. But why do you posters find it necessary to point out the race of the dog owners? Sounds like you have issues in general.

• Il
    Ilovehorses3654 Aug 04, 2014

Ok, first of all. The whole home depot thing is totally absurd! Home depot is one of the few stores where dogs are WELCOMED! But I do agree, you shouldn't take your dog somewhere if you can't control it. Not all dogs should be banned though! I hate the fact that they stop everybody from doing something, just because of 1 ### (or more)
    I have a wonderful 1 and a half old puppy, she is very sweet, and quiet. I take her everywhere with me, and people come up to her (Including the employees) and say how adorable and sweet she is.
    So, it's okay if you don't like dogs in the store, its not like you HAVE to be around them. But please don't take that privilege away from other people

AndrewsMom Nov 29, 2015

I get it, I really do...especially the part about the allergies. But the comment from "Mike" about carrying a concealed weapon and shooting the dog (even if you were kidding) is a testimony to how shortsighted and paranoid YOU are. Why would you even say something like that in this day and age? As for taking dogs into stores, to each his own. If the stores don't care, I don't care and if I'm allergic to something...I stay away from it. It's called "living in a collaborative society."...

• Ot
    otzaaal Oct 16, 2016

You have a lot more personal issues than just a dog in a store. God forbid you have allergies and JC Penny will no longer have you as a costumer. That's 1 less person than a million. The need to identify the employees by color is wrong. You should've just left instead of stirring up problems. People like you have a lot of hate in their heart and probably don't own any animals to say such nasty things about a overjoyed puppy. Find a bridge and get over it.

• Pe
    Pet transporter May 15, 2018

My dog behaves a lot better than most small children.8, 8

unreliable bags

Last Friday I purchased 2 pieces of luggage from JC Penney from "Liz & Co" which is apparently a Liz...

erroneous postings to credit bureau

I am a 53 year old female who just starting getting a negative notation on a credit reporting agency for past due accounts. The account was a JC penny account that was owned by an ex-husband who I divorced 9 years ago. The account was opened in 1974. I was a student at college during that time and did not even know the person who opened the account. I married this person in 1992 and divorced him in 1999. Just in the last 5 months have I ever heard of this account, which was being put on by credit report as past due. I investigated it and found that my ex-husband died in January. I have tried to dispute this, but a supervisor at JCPenny dispute could not give me any information. She just stated that someone put me on the card as a co-holder of the account. I asked if just anyone could call and put someone on an account, she stated yes. I have requested anything with my signature on it, but this can not be produced. I have never used any card or heard of it. It is the only negative thing on my account. I am trying to put a child threw college and have always had good credit. HELP!!! What are my recourses???

credit dispute

I just got my JCPenney Cardabout a month a go and I have a balance of about $40 I just happened to check my credit report and had stated on the ( credit report) ex. $40 bal and $40 Limit even thought my limit is $500 this mistake on the credit report has brought my credit score down, please keep in mind my JCPenney Card statement does not say that Just my credit Report.

Concerned Customer

ex husband credit showing on my report!

I am forwarding you two letters sent in regards to JCP adding my name to a credit card opened by my ex husband. I am trying to get my name off an account that is not mine. Even though the divorce papers prove we were not married when he opened the account they are still keeping my name on the credit report.

Susan F. Johnson

PO Box 981402
El Paso, TX [protected]

RE: Credit Dispute Account #[protected] JC Penney

To whom it may concern.

I recently sent you a copy of a divorce decree between Susan Johnson and Robert P Johnson. This was sent to prove that my ex and I were divorced by the time he opened the account and my name never should have been put onto the account. According to Gloria at JC Penney credit department all the information I sent you was to go to:

GEMB
PO Box 981426
El Paso, TX 79998
Att: Recovery Dept.

Because they gave me the wrong address to send my dispute to my loan with the State of Minnesota will be greatly delayed. I am writing to ask you to please forward all of my correspondence to you to the address listed above. My original copy of the divorce decree was forwarded to Allan Cowles at the United States Department of Agriculture, so I do not have an extra copy to send out.

Would someone from your department please contact me to tell me that you got my letter and if you will be able to fulfill my request?

Any help you can give me in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

cc. JC Penney Credit dept. and United States Department of Agriculture

El Paso, TX 79998
Att: Recovery Dept.
RE: Credit Dispute Account #[protected] JC Penney

To whom it may concern.

Please find enclosed a copy of a letter I sent to Credit Bureau Dispute requesting they forward all paper work sent to them by mistake per advise from JC Penney as of January 17,2007. I would like to get this matter resolved as quickly as possible as I am under a deadline for a loan application with the State of Minnesota.

On October 1993, Robert Price Johnson opened a JC Penney credit card number [protected]. (this is not my account) My name was also included on the account, however Robert and I were divorced several years earlier so I should have never been put onto the account. The divorce papers that the Credit Bureau Dispute has should be forwarded to you very soon to show proof of divorce.

As you are aware of , in 1993 JC Penney would have never opened an account for a single or divorced woman without a man present and proof of ID, however it would have been very easy for Robert to put me on the account as a second card holder without me being present. I would like to think he would not do such a thing, however it is not entirely out of the question.

If you would like to collect from Robert, he lives at:

Robert and Gwen Johnson

Graphic Design Technology - AAS
phone toll free [protected]
his direct line is [protected]
fax [protected]

Because our divorce was not amicable, I would be unable to contact him or get any assistance from him myself, however he may cooperate with you and be willing to send you his dept payment just to clear up his credit report.

I need this dept taken off my report right away. I need to put a new well on my property but can not afford to take out a high interest loan. The State of Minnesota will give me a low interest loan over a 30 year period but will not do it until this $32.00 balance is taken off my report. I need clean water right away...Please help me!

• La
    Lacey Nichole Gonzalez Mar 28, 2007

To whom it may concern:

I was recently at a car dealer ship hoping to buy a new car when the salesman left to look up my credit. When the man returned he stated that the papers said I was deceased. After looking into this I called my 3 credit bureaus. TransUnion, Experian, Equifax. All 3 bureaus stated that my error of being deceased was because of an account held by GEMB/JCP.

After looking more into my problem I found on MY credit report that it stated I had opened an account on 04/25/1987, I was born on 07/01/1985. This means at the age of 2 I opened this account. Now this person has passed away and now I'm stuck with having this problem.

I need this error fixed as soon as possible. On 03/06/2007 I paid off my entire bill to JcPenney. If needed my number is 863-682-7289. Thank you for your time.

Lacey Gonzalez
    1306 Leola Ave
    Lakeland, FL 33810

• Lo
    Loraine Rigazio Mar 31, 2007

Per my letter dated 3/26/07 called to the attention of your Justine Taylor.

Have you rec'd. my letter with att. power of attorney?

• Br
    brenda antone akers Sep 20, 2007

your address fr jcpenny showed up on my credit report i never been to jcpenny my number is 602-672-4820

• Be
    BESSIE F. Johnson May 20, 2008

May 20, 2008

RE: Credit Dispute Acct. #192502xxxxx

Bessie F. Johnson
    1371 old hickory
    memphis, Tn.38116

I"m trying to get my name off an account thats not mines . According to Equaxfax there record shows a charge off on july 2002 of $133.00 per acct.192502xxxxx. I have never applied for a J.C. Penny acct. I"m waiting the approval of a home loan, and would greatly appreciate if this negative information would be remove from my credit report ASAP.

Sincerely

Bessie F. Johnson

money sent by the mistake!

In June of 04, I click on JCPenney and sent them $50.00 through my online banking. I didn't owe them anything I just sent them money by mistake. I called them and told them what I had done and they issued me a check for the amount.

In May of 05 I began receiving a bill from a collection agency, I called and they were to investigate it, but never heard anything else from them. A month or 2 later another was sending me a bill. I called and had a shouting match with the collection agency Nationwide representative. I called JCPenney again.

They told me that I owed them $50.00 and the rest was late fee's and finance charges. I explained what I had done in 05 and did get a refund check, the rep told me they were not suppose to send a check to me. Well is that my fault?

They removed the fees and charges, and begin billing me again. I called and spoke to one of the supervisors, she told me that they never received the check and that my bank probably canceled it since I didn't owe. I contacted the bank and got the statement showing where indeed I did send it and NO they would not cancel an electronic payment. This was an online conversation and I sent that and the statement to them. They sent me bills with new finance charges and late fees.

I called again and this time they told me that they issued me 2 checks for that refund. After becoming irate with them I asked for an investigation and to send me the copies of the checks showing my signature on them. I received a copy of one check. I called back, the supervisor this time told me that they sent 2 check copies and didn't I get the 2nd one. I told her no, sure didn't, got 1.

Again I told her to send me proof, copies of the 2 checks. I got the same copy of one check and still getting charged late fees and finance charges. I've sent my 2nd letter to them and have called this company 7 times.

They are calling my house and just sent me a brand new credit card. lol
They say I signed up with their master card and they sent me the 2nd check.
This is the most ridiculous company and the supervisors, representatives are about as dense as a bird. I am fed up with this.

They have no right to put a charge on my card when in the first place it wasn't a purchase, it was a mistake and if they sent me 2 checks it's their mistake. I told them when they prove that I received 2 checks I will gladly pay them the $50.00. I have filed a complaint with the FTC and whoever else I can complain about these thieves to.

It's mind boggling how corporations think they can just rip you off like this.

answer the questoins and get spam!

A few weeks ago I got an email from JC Penny asking that I answer several questions and that if I answered all of the questions I would receive a $500 JC Penny card. There were many many questions, some I could not answer because it was a company wanting me to buy one of two products which I did not want to do. At that point I stopped answering and left the site. These were all sites from schools and businesses. Immediately, the same day I started getting about 50 SPAM messages from all these businesses every day. Fortunately I have a SPAM filter with McAfee but a few get through everyday. I am even getting mail from schools wanting me to register. I think this is a very underhanded thing for JC Penny to have done to their card holders.

Joan

• Ir
    Irma Cernica Apr 06, 2007

Actually, Joan

The email that you are talking about has nothing to do with jcpenny. As a matter of fact JCPenny has never ever gave out gift cards to customers for filling out a survey online. It was just another one of those spam messages that are designed to trapt you into buying certain things and give out your information. Don't ever fall for those kind of emails regardless of the name of the company.

• Hd
    hdhdj56 Jul 05, 2008

### u all usa

• De
    deebootie Jun 27, 2009

Ever hear the saying if its too good to be real it usually is! DUH

interior decorating

J.C. Penney {Brea Mall Store) Interior Decorating Dept. My complaint is that we have been waiting 5 months to...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices