JCPenney / bad jewelry

Purchased men’s l0K gold ring cost 214.00 on sale in Dec.2007. Did not get warranty. Had ring sized by them. Received ring in Jan.08. Ring fell apart in June, 08. Tried to have fixed by my Jeweler. Jeweler stated it was bad gold and casting was bad, had cracks all over, defective ring. Returned ring to J.C. Penney as they sized it for me. They would not replace it or return money as 60 days had passed. They would submit to repair. Just received call from manager at Clearwater mall. They would repair for 125.00 and will not guarantee it will stay together. I am furious. They still have ring as I will not pay that amount for repair of a defective ring. I cannot understand the poor customer service for a big company like that. I will never, ever buy anything from them again, especially jewelry. I wish I could find the name of the CEO or the jewelry buyer, to let them have a piece of my mind. I will report them to the Better Business Bureau.

Va

Comments

• As
      12th of May, 2010

The company provides great customer service as long as you have the Care Plans. I know when I buy jewelery I always get the plans because humans make mistakes and jewelery, especially chains, tend to break. The care plan for a 214.oo ring would have been around 27.00. This would have covered it for life. Under the coverage the ring would have had free sizing and repairs that were not intentional, and very few are found to be. Since you bought the ring in Dec. the normal store warranty would have run out in March. It is advised you purchase the care plan because in this event they would have sent you the amount of the ring so you could have purchased a new one.

• Ta
      14th of Jun, 2011

In regards to who's in charge of the fine Jewelry JCP sells.. I am currently researching JCP's Modern Bride Collection.. I am completely frustrated with their MB manufacturer/distributor. I have contacted them directly. Anyway, according to an article in the Dallas Morning News 02/01/2011, Pam Mortenson is the person in charge. I have yet to find her email address but have just begun my search. Link: http://www.dallasnews.com/business/headlines/20110201-j.c.-penney-tries-to-attract-younger-shoppers-with-modern-bride-fine-jewelry-collections.ece

• Sh
      3rd of Mar, 2014

My husband purchased my Modern Bride engagement ring in April 2013 diamond fell out Nov 2013 was 542.99 to repair and i got it back Jan 2014 same diamond fell out 02 28 2014!!!

do not buy from them they have no customer service and their answer to this was for me to take to my local jewler!!!HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE... WE AR SICK OVER THIS

• Da
      25th of Oct, 2015

thier problem starts with the rotten attitude towards the customer at the store, longview tx for sure, the jewelry department manager got in my face and raised her voice to me because I was upset about being told that the 3, 000 ring I bought for my fiance was supposed to be back from sizing in 2 weeks had after 2 weeks been told it would be 4 weeks, , and she did not really care about me being upset, so I can tell this is not going to be a very good situation, nobody seems to care about the customer at JC penneys, I would have fired that manager period,

• Po
      27th of Jun, 2017

I totally agree with customer service. My boyfriend bought me a necklace and thankfully after the first time it broke, bought the repair policy. It has broken 4 times since and they keep repairing it, refusing to give us a buyout. He also bought me a watch there with the insurance policy which was highly stressed by the associate that he gets a free battery when it dies. Well he took it in and they didn't have any batteries and offered to send it out. Really? Not willing to wait 2 weeks for it to come back with a new battery. He went to a jeweler who replaced it on the spot. He or I will never purchase jewelry there again. The customer service team needs real improvement.

• Th
      19th of Jul, 2017

I took my wedding ring, of 9 years wearing it, to be what I thought sized down. I have been losing a lot of weight. I washed my hands recent and while drying the ring popped off and rolled on the floor. This is when I discovered I needed it to be SIZED DOWN. Went to JC Penny's where we bought it, without a plan, and asked for a size down. The associate sized my finger at a size 12.5. We couldn't remember how big the ring was originally so they checked. She tells us it's a size 12.5 with bulging on the sides. She couldn't send it in for a size down to the same size, she insisted to have it repaired and that would fix it from falling off.
    A week later, I called to ask about the status of my ring, they tell me they "straighten" my ring there at the store discovering it's "current" size of 11 and sent it to be SIZED UP to 12.5.
    Just two thoughts here, how do I lose 30 pound since my wedding and "need my ring sized up"? And how do I wear a ring, have it unintentionally slips off and "need my ring sized up" to fit nice and snug on my finger??
    I am now afraid I will now have a square wedding ring. This is really bad customer care.

• El
      25th of Aug, 2017

2017. The jewelry in JCPenney is not good. Purchased gold simple earrings there in 1 months the tarnshed (at the places where it touched my skin) and bothered ear. I didn't examine the gold in the lab but it's obvious that sth is wrong with it. It was 10K gold. They changed it for 14k gold for me saying that it was the raction with my skin and the same thing in 1 month happened. So they just returned my money. At least this is good. Good thing that I didn't buy it as a present for somebody.

• Mm
      8th of Sep, 2017

I would NEVER recommend JCPennys.. I brought my boyfriend a necklace for his birthday in October of last year(2016) with a LIFETIME warranty and this August it needed to go in for some repair (it was falling apart). I went to JCPennys for the repair and they said they would call me when it was ready, never called me. 2 weeks later I called them and they stated, "It's marked as someone called you 3 days ago and left a voicemail, " no I never received anything from them. I went to the store that night to get my necklace and I went home...I got home and was putting it around my boyfriends neck and it was 2 inches short... I was filled with anger, went the next day with my mother to JCPennys and received HORRIBLE HORRIBLE customer service. The store manager was arguing and did not know what good customer service was (don't understand how she got to be the "store manager") They did not know what they were talking about and the store manager got a ruler out which was a little insulting to me to measure it. So it was 2 inches shorter which with gold chains the longer the length you get the more money you spend. The store manager sent the necklace back out to the new repair company they recently went with and was going to get the money back for the chain so I can just get a whole new one, I get a phone call yesterday to come get the money I had spend on the "fixed necklace" to come get a new one. So I get to JCPennys to only find out that I will only get the money I spend on the necklace back and not the LIFETIME warranty that I purchased with the necklace. The employee stated, "You will have to buy another LIFETIME warranty back from them (so another $50) if you want one, but I recommend going with the 2 year plan for $22 dollars instead." I said why would I purchase another LIFETIME warranty when all they did was damage my necklace even more and on top of it all spend even more money? Really...? No... I went home and called the repair company and will be getting my $50 because they are fraud, also I am demanding all my money back from the "Fine Jewelry" in JCPennys. I would NEVER waste your time or money at JCPennys, I went there 4 times and did not get anything solved.. WHAT A JOKE,