HP / repair scam

My Compaq laptop that I bought last October had a defect with the wireless card. Seems it was a crappy card to begin with and it died.

I contacted HP and they were very nice and sent me the box and all to send it in for a free replacement of the card.

Note, the wireless was the ONLY problem and everything else worked perfectly. Just the faulty wireless card that HP is replacing because it was a sub-par card they used when building the laptops.

Anyway, I get up this morning and see on the repair status that it is now out of warranty and the charge is 750.00!!!

I call them to see what the deal is and am told that the motherboard, the hard drive, the fan, the processor, the keyboard are all shot due to liquid spillage.

I did not spill anything on this keyboard and I went bezerk on the phone. The computer was immaculate when it was shipped to them, other than the wireless card not working. I filed a formal dispute with them and was told to call back in 24-48 hours.

I also did a little digging online and it seems this isn’t uncommon of HP and their shady practices.

Zr

Comments

• Je
      1st of Nov, 2008

HP stinks. There on line customer service is useless and their products shoddy and cheap. I bought a DV9410 Notebook and it's a piece of garbage. Less than a year and an half old, the HD crashes. Of course it's out of warranty so I had to buy a new one. Then I have to pay around $20 to buy a recovery disk, since HP is too CHEAP to spend about a buck to include one with the system. I do the install and of course it doesn't work. The system just keeps booting up and shutting down over and over again. I contact tech support and of course they can't fix it. So I'm stuck with a $1900 paper weight unless I want to spend $500+ to get it "diagnosed"

NEVER BUY CRAPPY HP product. I've learned my lesson