Hertz / bad service/unauthorized hold

United States, Westbrook Review updated:
On 4/17/2015, I rented a car from the Westbrook Maine location. This is a corporate location. Upon picking up my rental, I secured the hold using a credit card. My rental was for the time period 4/17-4/27/2015. The cost of the rental was $222.00. Like most rental car companies, you must present a credit card to secure the cost of the rental as well as additional fees. In this case, it was $223.00. When I returned the vehicle, I paid for the cost of the rental with a debit card. The cost of the rental processed through my checking account on 4/28/2015. The hold was removed from my CREDIT CARD shortly thereafter. BUT WAIT, there is more! Upon checking my bank account on 5/5/15, HERTZ placed a hold on my checking account for $223.00. Why would they do that since the costs had already been deducted a week prior? I called the rental station in Westbrook and of course, they “Are not aware of the unauthorized hold” and I am told it is my bank. My bank put holds on accounts for Hertz now? I visited my bank and they tell me that the hold comes from Hertz Rental Systems and they kindly provided me with a screen shot that shows the hold was placed by Hertz. I than call the Hertz billing office and of course after being placed on hold for almost 20 minutes, they too can’t explain this mysterious hold on my account. (It is also important to note, the rep was able to locate my rental by my license number, dates of rental and my full name. This comes up later)
“Oh no, we don’t see any hold placed on your account, it must be your bank”. What great service Hertz provides! I finally was able to speak to a rep who said he would contact my bank and send them a fax to release the hold. (If they didn’t put the hold on in the first place, how would they remove it??). Although I appreciated the reps effort, three days later, it is still not resolved. I called the Customer Billing office (of course again waiting on hold for excessive time….) I reached “Whitney”. Because I did not have my rental number, I asked her to look up my rental in the same manner as the previous rep. This girl was as useless as an Ice Cream Cone in Phoenix in July! The fact that she would not at least look this account up using what information I could provide, plus the extended wait times, plus the run around I have already gotten just fueled my anger even more. I explained to her the frustration I was feeling at the whole experience and that I was not happy that they had place this unauthorized hold. (Remember, the hold was on a CREDIT CARD at the time of rental NOT my debit card that I used to PAY for it). I asked Whitney to provide the name an address of the location to send a bill to for bank expense incurred as a result of their hold. She rudely said “Customer Service”. To which I responded, If I just write “Customer Service” on an envelope and put it in the mail, it will get to them. She again, rudely provided an address. I explained to Whitney the lengthy process and poor service I had experienced and would not only never be a repeat customer but would also encourage other to avoid Hertz as well. I asked her if she would feel the same way if she were in my situation. Her response “My opinion isn’t relevant”. Clearly, Whitney lacks empathy. While I did come across stern and perhaps a bit ride at this point, I feel it was appropriate. I am the customer, they made the error and I don’t deserve to be on hold for extended times because they are too cheap to staff appropriately. With that said, the “hold” is still on the account, Whitney is an idiot and I would rather walk than ever deal with Hertz again.
May 7, 2015

N  2nd of Dec, 2010 by

Hertz - Don't book cars through Hotels.com

Don't book cars through Hotels.Com. I booked a Hertz car for one day for San Jose Costa Rica and with the estimated taxes added on, the amount was supposed to be about $15. When I got to the rental counter, they added on a bunch of charges and the bill was going to be over $50. Then they wanted to put $1200 on my credit card as a deposit on the car. I cancelled the car and took a taxi.
N  11th of Jan, 2011 by

Hertz - Price - Hidden Fees

So - after falling for the United Airlines - Hertz prepaid offer, we ended up paying almost $200 dollars for a 2 days rental on a Toyota - please be smarter then us and NEVER RENT FROM HERTZ.
N  27th of Jul, 2012 by

Hertz - Payments of fine
Chris Boon
Cefalu Scilliy
United Kingdom

Received notification from Hertz of a fine which they deducted from my credit card on the 13th June. €36.30
Now received a fine direct from Cefalu police for the same offence.

N  5th of Jun, 2014 by

Hertz - deposit
key west

Returned my rental car two weeks ago. Hertz has still not released my deposit. They are blaming debit card bank. I have never had any problems with the return of a deposit from other car rental companies. The bank has the deposit as pending. I called hertz and got a run around and an attitude.
N  7th of May, 2015 by
You must find life in general to be difficult.

Hertz Logo Hertz