Google / fraudulent charges on my credit card!!

I received an email from my credit card company advising me that my account had been flagged due to unusual charges. I looked at my online statement and to my disbelief, saw over 75 purchases made on 03/20/2017 and 03/21/2017 of $2.99 from Google. All of the charges had an asterisk* after the word Google, with a set of numbers and some were followed with g.co/payhelp # CA 94043 USA. When I contacted the customer service department of my credit card company, the agent stated that there had been over 260 attempted charges!!! Most $2.99 and a larger one of $74.00. My credit card company did an excellent job of taking care of the problem on their end. I have no idea how these thieves got my card number but I was advised that I was just 1 out of numerous customers who called with this exact problem. Obviously there is a large scale scam going on and they are using your company to steal money from people who actually work for a living. My account had to be closed, a new card mailed out, and I have to wait until they conclude their investigation to be able to use it again. This is very inconvenient for me but most importantly, I hope you can get to the bottom of this scam so it does not happen to more people in the future. This could potentially cripple someone who does not have a lot of income and/or children to feed. You are one of the largest companies in the world with endless resources at your fingertips. I hope you use some of those resources to combat this fraud. Also, a tip off may be that people do not make 260 charges of $2.99 one right after another. Thank you for your time.

Da
Mar 22, 2017

Comments

• S3
      5th of Apr, 2017

Same thing happened to me on Apr. 03, 2017. I went to review my bank account on Apr. 04, 2017 and I noticed these fraudulent google charges for $2.99 x 15 (GOOGLE *TRAN QUANG g.co/payhelp# CA x 11 charges and GOOGLE *NGUYEN DUYEN g.co/payhelp# CA x 4 charges). I immediately called my bank and told them the situation. My bank was very understanding and they cancelled my card and issued me a new card and a transaction reversal for those $2.99 charges and told me they would look into what happened. Kind of pissed off that this happened, especially now that I have to wait for a new card and GOOGLE hasn't done anything about these fraudulent charges that happened to people like us.

• Mi
      11th of Jul, 2017

Same here. I have had to cancel 4 credit cards since March with same problem. Small charges but very irritating to keep cancelling and reissuing card. I asked Google Play to add a function in their payments feature, allowing users to block their card from being used in any other Google Play account. This would solve the issue. However, this will probably take a looooong time. The last time I received a new card, I did not add to Google Play thinking that is where users were getting my credit card. However, my newest card was charged another Google Play fraud charge on June 9. Unsure how people are getting my card but they should not be able to add to another Google Play account. And this has only impacted one of my credit cards. All others are fine and have never had fraud charges.

• Ti
      18th of Apr, 2018

In 2017 several card replaced multiple times charges not authorized . How do they continue to get numbers for ccards.
    They even charged a sears card along with cards not activated. have never set up an account 2018 5 cards corrupted multiple times

• Be
      13th of May, 2018

I don’t even have a google play account, and they have stung me, I’ve now emptied my account until I can ring the bank tomorrow
    How the hell do they get the information

• St
      16th of May, 2018

Google does not care that someone has stolen your information. They will continue to tell you that you know the person, even when it's clear that you do not. Google would rather take someone's money than actually realize they're allowing credit card fraud to continue. I had something similar happen to me and twice now Google has told me I know the person, even though I have gone to great lengths to prove I do not. I have even filed a police report with the information I was able to obtain on the criminal.

After reading how often this happens to people I think its about time for Google to experience a class action lawsuit in order to bring about actual change. These criminals are allowed to steal and Google is enabling it at the cost of innocent people.

• Db
      12th of Nov, 2018

@Steph G Yes a class action suit should occur if that is what it takes for them to stop the theft from their accounts to our bank accounts and credit cards.

14th of Oct, 2018

I just discovered numerous Google Play charges on my bank statement. There are so many that I have lost count. I know I should be checking my statements but I become lazy and this is what happened. When I approached Google initially they had zero problem giving me refunds for a few charges which I was pretty thrilled about. When I gave them additional charges stating dates, the cost, etc., they only issued me a partial credit "out of good faith" saying that the charges were not unauthorized and that I should check with my family /friends to ensure they do not have my account information. I am now fighting for the additional monies owed. This is fraud without a doubt. I'm pretty sure any Technical Google person can see what IP address the payment went too, no? I'm not 100% how that works but in this world one can never tell.

• Db
      12th of Nov, 2018

@Cheryl Merrill Google gave me no refunds for over $300 of charges to my account from what they verified was not me making the charges. All to Google Play Studios and Phantom EFX. Google stated it is my banks responsibility since my credit card was charged. This is so time consuming to try to get fraud corrected and Google is doing nothing to stop the thief. They can see whose email the fraud is connected to. Great service Google! So glad we can count on you to just allow erroneous charges to our accounts and you just brush it off and make it someone else's responsibility.

• Ks
      23rd of Jan, 2019

@Cheryl Merrill A class action lawsuit should take place immediately! This is fraud! I had over $8, 500 taken from my account from google play before I ever noticed; more than 15 transactions on a daily for months!! They were from online gambling sites that I never made purchases from and I have no idea how they got my card information. I was in the hospital when the transactions started and as I recovered at home and focused on my recovery they continued - I'm at fault for not paying attention to my bank statements during that time. I have since cancelled my credit card and filed a police report but don't know what to do to get my money back. Google and my bank refuse to issue me a refund.

• Te
      13th of Nov, 2018

I am having the same problem. Google told me also to check family and friends. No email confirmation on purchases. I found google to be not helpful.

• Gr
      10th of Jan, 2019

A big part of the problem is that Google and VISA have an arrangement that when a card # is changed (due to fraud or any other reason). VISA automatically feeds Google the new card #. It just goes on and on. Finally called my credit card company and convinced that to deny any charges from Google - I don't use Google for anything and now I never will.