Google / fraudulent charges on my credit card!!

I received an email from my credit card company advising me that my account had been flagged due to unusual charges. I looked at my online statement and to my disbelief, saw over 75 purchases made on 03/20/2017 and 03/21/2017 of $2.99 from Google. All of the charges had an asterisk* after the word Google, with a set of numbers and some were followed with g.co/payhelp # CA 94043 USA. When I contacted the customer service department of my credit card company, the agent stated that there had been over 260 attempted charges!!! Most $2.99 and a larger one of $74.00. My credit card company did an excellent job of taking care of the problem on their end. I have no idea how these thieves got my card number but I was advised that I was just 1 out of numerous customers who called with this exact problem. Obviously there is a large scale scam going on and they are using your company to steal money from people who actually work for a living. My account had to be closed, a new card mailed out, and I have to wait until they conclude their investigation to be able to use it again. This is very inconvenient for me but most importantly, I hope you can get to the bottom of this scam so it does not happen to more people in the future. This could potentially cripple someone who does not have a lot of income and/or children to feed. You are one of the largest companies in the world with endless resources at your fingertips. I hope you use some of those resources to combat this fraud. Also, a tip off may be that people do not make 260 charges of $2.99 one right after another. Thank you for your time.

Da
Mar 22, 2017

Comments

• S3
      5th of Apr, 2017

Same thing happened to me on Apr. 03, 2017. I went to review my bank account on Apr. 04, 2017 and I noticed these fraudulent google charges for $2.99 x 15 (GOOGLE *TRAN QUANG g.co/payhelp# CA x 11 charges and GOOGLE *NGUYEN DUYEN g.co/payhelp# CA x 4 charges). I immediately called my bank and told them the situation. My bank was very understanding and they cancelled my card and issued me a new card and a transaction reversal for those $2.99 charges and told me they would look into what happened. Kind of pissed off that this happened, especially now that I have to wait for a new card and GOOGLE hasn't done anything about these fraudulent charges that happened to people like us.

• Mi
      11th of Jul, 2017

Same here. I have had to cancel 4 credit cards since March with same problem. Small charges but very irritating to keep cancelling and reissuing card. I asked Google Play to add a function in their payments feature, allowing users to block their card from being used in any other Google Play account. This would solve the issue. However, this will probably take a looooong time. The last time I received a new card, I did not add to Google Play thinking that is where users were getting my credit card. However, my newest card was charged another Google Play fraud charge on June 9. Unsure how people are getting my card but they should not be able to add to another Google Play account. And this has only impacted one of my credit cards. All others are fine and have never had fraud charges.

• Ti
      18th of Apr, 2018

In 2017 several card replaced multiple times charges not authorized . How do they continue to get numbers for ccards.
    They even charged a sears card along with cards not activated. have never set up an account 2018 5 cards corrupted multiple times

• Be
      13th of May, 2018

I don’t even have a google play account, and they have stung me, I’ve now emptied my account until I can ring the bank tomorrow
    How the hell do they get the information

• St
      16th of May, 2018

Google does not care that someone has stolen your information. They will continue to tell you that you know the person, even when it's clear that you do not. Google would rather take someone's money than actually realize they're allowing credit card fraud to continue. I had something similar happen to me and twice now Google has told me I know the person, even though I have gone to great lengths to prove I do not. I have even filed a police report with the information I was able to obtain on the criminal.

After reading how often this happens to people I think its about time for Google to experience a class action lawsuit in order to bring about actual change. These criminals are allowed to steal and Google is enabling it at the cost of innocent people.