Geico - East Meadow, NY / denying my claim for collision coverage

I bough my certified 2006 mercedes c280 from mercedes benz of white plains dealership on may 24th 2007. I insured my car with geico effective may 24th, 2007 to november 24th, 2007. I paid $465.40 for six month policy on may 23rd, 2007 which includes bodily injury liability, property damage liability, basic personal injury protection, residual medical payments, supplementary uninsured motorist, comprehensive, collision coverage.

I got into a car accident on june 3rd, 2007. Geico has denied my collision claim and has informed me that my physical damage coverage has expired on june 1st (In just one week) since I have not done a vehicle inspection on the car. I bought a certified pre-owned mercedes from mercedes benz of white plains dealership. When I signed up for my auto insurance policy by calling the [protected] geico phone number, the customer rep informed me that I need to complete the vehicle inspection within 2 weeks time (Which ends on june 6, 2007) and did not mention anything about my physical damage policy expiring if I did not complete the vehicle inspection in the timeframe. I have reviewed the policy documents geico has mailed me and it does not mention anything about vehicle inspection time frame and suspension of my collision coverage. I have not received any documentation from geioco stating that my physical damage coverage has expired for not completing the vehicle inspection either.

As I have previously stated that I have paid for my geico auto insurance policy in full when I signed up for service and now geico is denying my claim for collision coverage for the accident on june 3rd, 2007. I would appreciate your assistance with this matter and request geico to pay for the claim as per my auto insurance policy.

Dhaval patel

Vi

Comments

• Ms
      4th of Sep, 2007

I had an identical experience with Geico. We've insured our cars with Geico for years. Our credit wasn't great and were we getting charged very high rates with Geico. Both of our cars were purchased at the dealership when we had Geico insurance. We had changed coverage for about 6 months in 2004. We ended up getting better rates with Geico and went back. During 2005, we were hit by Hurricane Wilma and both of our cars were destroyed. Imagine my surprise when the Geico representative told me that my van wasn't covered for comprehensive, because I had never taken my van in for inspection. Well, had Geico told me that I needed to do that at any point in time that I had this coverage, I would've done so. Immediately. I received no notice that an inspection was required, nothing to show that the coverage was dropped and my finance company was never informed of this. The Geico adjuster told me that it was illegal for Geico to not have informed the Company that I financed my car through. And, to add insult to injury, I didn't even see any type of drop in my rates to even indicate that there a problem. The funny thing is that I receive paper bills in the mail every month and an email reminding me that my payment was due. Without fail.

So - at the end of the day - I was stuck with $8K worth of car payments that I had to make. We had to go out and get another car because this one was destroyed. Just as an experiment - I insured the car that we bought with Geico. I kept the insurance for 30 days and was never once contacted to take my car in for inspection.

I feel that this Company has totally taken advantage of us and did not take any steps to inform us of such requirements for coverage. If anyone has any suggestions on how to pursue this - I would be very interested. I've been on several sites and see a definite trend with claims such as this.

30th of Nov, 2007

You should read your amendment and call customer service to inform you about your policy. Don't blame Geico for your mis-sake.

• Mi
      26th of Dec, 2007

Same thing here, was notified of drop in coverage 8 days after accident claim. Was never informed of possible drop in coverage at the time of signing policy 17 days before accident.

• Mo
      11th of Mar, 2008

I am a licensed agent with another company (but am currently insured with geico) and they do the same. It's a state requirement, not an insurance company requirement. You should have already known, and you admit in the complaint that you were advised it needed to be done. Maybe you should have done it. You got what you deserve.