Empire Today / they lied to me

1 PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 18005882300

I wish I knew about this website before I dealt with Empire in August 2008. There were issues from the beginning. First, they sent out a salesman who gave us an estimate. There was a question about the estimate, so they sent out another guy to double check it. The second guy didn't even measure, he just gave us a price undercutting the first guy. We contacted the company to notify the manager about the unprofessional conduct that was going and they apologized. We decided to go with the first guy simply because we liked him. He seemed so honest and genuine and when he came several times to do paperwork with us he stayed for a couple hours after and hung out. I wish we had known what we were in for, but we were enticed by the offer of credit, the warranty, and the convenience. They assured us that we were buying a superior product and that was why it was more expensive. As a young, first time homeowner I didn't realize I was getting ripped off. The floor was installed and looked great for a few months. Then we started noticing areas that looked like they were buckling at the joints and other areas where the picture was coming off of the edges of the tiles. As the problem worsened we got concerned and called to let them know what was going on so we could have the issues corrected. They sent out an inspector who came at the wrong time and could barely speak english. He kept saying that my refrigerator, which is only a few years old, must be leaking. The floor in the living room, kitchen, and hallway are messed up, how could the refrigerator do that! I received a call from a customer service rep a few days later to let me know the problem would not be covered by my warranty because it was water damage. Since I knew there was no way that it was water damage, I am very careful not to let the floor get wet, they agreed to send out an "independent" inspector to reassess the situation. He confirmed that we did not have water damage and that the floor was properly taken care of. Using this report the regional customer service manager in the Philadelphia Market told me that I must have caused the damage from high traffic in my home, which is ridiculous since there are only two adults and four miniature dogs. He said they would cut me a deal. He offered to "only" charge me $2100 in addition to the $5975 line of credit we had already taken out with GE through Empire and they would put the same product down again. I told him no way was I paying more money for a floor that didn't last a year. He said he was sorry that I was disappointed but that was all they could do for me. I am still trying to resolve this huge issue! It has been and continues to be a nightmare!

Comments

• Je
      29th of Oct, 2008

Sounds like you were sold an inferior grade product at an inflated price. You should have done some
    homework, learned about the product you were interested in and the various price points and
    product quality. Not all laminates are equal. You also need to understand the manufacturer's
    warranty terms. Manufacturer's only warranty the surface finish against wearing through for
    a certain time period, usually 5, 10, 20, 25 or 30 years. Secondly they only warranty against
    defective product PRIOR to installation.
    Before signing any contract be sure to obtain and READ the mfgr's warranty and installlers
    warranty. Do not accept verbal assurances as to product quality or warrantys.
    And don't be fooled by the "you have to sign now to get the sale price" claim, any reputsable
    company will hold the price rather than lose the sale.

• Li
      3rd of Nov, 2008

I am glad to have found this site. I just set up an online appointment with this company for 2 rooms and now I am going to cancel it. I don't want to deal with a company like this, and don't have time for 'games'.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm sorry you got ripped off. I hope they rectify the situation for you. You would think reputation and repeat business would mean something... especially in this ecomony.

• Pr
      15th of Nov, 2008

I thnak you for sharing a most painful experience and yes, I will look elsewhere for my blinds.