Emirates Airlines / lost and delayed luggage

Emirates Airlines
My family and I traveled with emirates airlines last december and at my destination when I tried to collect my luggage, much to my horror I discovered that I was missing 3 of my luggage. It took me about 7 days to receive 2 of them but the 3rd was never found. I filed all the necessary paper works including a signed affidavit of the contents with the local emirates office before I left for home. I was told by emirates employee that it will take 6 weeks to resolve the issue. After 2 months emirates called my relatives at the local number that I have provided to come and pick up a check. I called emirates and explained to them that I lived in the us and it is not possible for me to go to another country to pick up my compensation check. Much to my surprise I was told that I will receive much lower amount than what my total loss amounted to and the new york office will contact me. Sure enough the new york office contacted me almost 2 weeks later and informed me that they are ready to send me a check. When I questioned the amount the representative told me that she had her instructions from the head office in dubai and she will not be able to negotiate the amount of my compensation. When I asked how emirates came to conclusion that the compensation amount should be $530 when my signed affidavit of lost items totaled around $1100. I was told that since I did not provide any receipts, the amount was $530. I emailed emirates 2 times since then and it has been another 2 weeks but I am yet to hear from them. I informed emirates that at the time of my paper work for lost luggage and contents, it neither was on the form nor was I told that receipts were required in order to receive just compensation. Should one carry receipts to a vacation? Why require signing affidavit if emirates will question the truthfulness of the person who signed? Should one exaggerate on the lost content list in order to get just and due compensation? It is over 3 months now but I am yet to have my lost luggage issue resolved. Needless to say that I have the feeling of utter frustration and total helplessness. So I decided to write blog and I hope my fellow passengers will be aware of emirates airlines.

D  10th of Jan, 2010 by
I travelled to Delhi via Dubai on the 12th December 2009. Much to my dismay I landed in Delhi only to find out that my bag had not arrived from Dubai. I spent 2 painful hours filling in forms and contacting Dubai where I was told by the assistant in Delhi that there were 2 flights due that day from Dubai to Delhi and that my bag would be on it. I was told to carry on with my journey hence forth and that my luggage would be delivered to me where ever I was India. I was left with only the clothing I had on and my handbag.
I contacted Delhi airlines the following day and was told that my bag had not arrived. this went on for a weeka and finally I contacted the managers office at the emirates office in Delhi ( spoken to Devendra) and was told to fax him all the relative forms, with my ID and ticket and also that upon my departure I would be compensated with $150.
Sad to note that to date I have not been compensated, neither has my bag been found.
I have contacted the Johannesburg, South Africa emirates Office ( Henrietta) and was told that she would contact the Delhi office once I fax her all the relevant copies. I have done so and have not to date ( 10/01/2010) heard from them.

My dismay was that I had to buy underwear, toiletries, cosmetics, and clothing. I was going on a pilgrimage to India and was left totally deserted. I had to buy Eastern Clothing to attend the pryarer ceremonies being attended.
I also had my travelling iron, kettle, and blow dryer in the bag. Futher to this I had all my Baby's medication (she is asthmatic) in the bag.
I had no jerseys and had to buy these too as the north of Delhi was freezing.
In Mumbai it was 35 deg and very very hot, which left me having to buy summer clothing.

I am so disappointed with the way this query has been handled. I was told by Henrietta (in the Emirates Jhbg offices) that I could possibly wait for up to 3 to 6 months for them to try and tradce my bag or for a compensation on my bag. in the interim I have to compensate myself. And should they find and retutn my bag, what happens to the money I spend on purchasing all these items.

I honestly thought from the all the positive advertising Emirates does in our media that they would provide an up to date service and look after their passengers esp. in a foreign land, and yet they created the inconvenience.

I will be taking this issue up with the media and also in all Emirates advertising cmpaigns, 'cos I think the service stinks!

My ticket no : 176 3674650138-139.
Place of issue : Johannesburg South Africa issued by Emirates.
Depart 12th Dec 2009 - EK 762 JNB / DUBAI @ 14:10 hrs and EK 510 Dubai - Delhi @ 04:40hrs.

A reply hereto will be sooo greatly appreciated

Usha Ayrga
South Africa (contact details cell no: 072-480-4011 on the south african code)

Emirates Group / Emirates.com Logo Emirates Group / Emirates.com