Dish Network / scam operation

1 IN, United States Review updated:

On 12/19/09 we had Dish network installed due to the "Great Deal" over Direct TV.
Our contract was for free installation and $54 a month for 24 months. Our first bill came and was for $284. I called and was told it was for installation charges and after debating this for over an hour I just paid it.

Our second bill came three days later for $417, again I called and after the third operator I was informed that they had changed the original contract and was now required to purchase the HD/DVR receiver. Since I could not afford this I was eventually directed by some miracle of science to "Philip Operator #2N6. I was informed by him that they routinely change contracts and my only recourse was to have the service disconnected and due to being within the first 30 days the $284 would be refunded to us as soon as they received their equipment and it was tested.

However, they would not send us prepaid shipping papers. Wierd, but Okay, I thought. So service is disconnected at that time. The following day I shipped back their equipment and received verification of delivery from UPS on 1/25/10 along with the time and who signed for it.

After a week I called Dish to find out how things were going and was told that we would not receive the refund as told earlier. But wait it gets better. On 2/26/10 I received a letter from E.R. Solutions, a collection agency stating I owed Dish Network $258. So of course I called Dish network and once again weaved through the endless idiots, finally being transfered to a supervisor. He had no name nor an ID number, which was a red flag in itself. Anyway the charges was for the equipment I had? After the vulger response received when I confronted him with the information including the tracking number and who signed for it he set out to prove me wrong. He did in fact find I was right, in fact he did have the equipment.

For a normal, compitent person this would have made them think that maybe I did not owe this bill. Not Mr. No Name! He simply stated "You still owe for the equipment you have". I also found that directing him to Philip #2N6, was a waste of time since according to him there is no way to find out who this person is.

I have this morning filed a complaint with the Consumer Protection agency and the Federal Trade Commission. However, looking at all the issues filed against Dish Network I am thinking it may take a while.

Based on my experiences with Dish Network I have been able to know without a doubt that if ignorance is bliss there employees are in paradise!

Comments

• Di
      3rd of Mar, 2010

While my experience of unexpected charges is slightly different from yours, the scam is just the same.
    In February billing from Dish, they changed everyone's equipment billing which resulted in increases of up to 200%. This is not programming or services which they say they can change billing on anytime.
    This is hardware. Electronic hardware depreciates rapidly over time.
    So why would their costs now be more expensive for older equipment? There is no reason.
    I am going to file a small claims action against Dish, but it would be better if we could all get these issues together for a class action lawsuit.