Direct TV / early termination fee charged!

PO BOX 6550Greenwood Village, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-494-4388

I had been a DirecTV customer since September of 2001. I had been very happy with my service and really did not have much of a problem with Directv until I canceled my service in August to go with a better offer w/HD etc from Dish network. When I called up D-TV to cancel service. I was told they would have to bill me an early termination fee that I would have to write a letter in order to resolve. I did not think much of it but said that was fine. I sent in my first letter on 9/14 and never received a response from Directv. I called and spent another hour on the phone with a "customer service" person and a manager who again informed me that it appeared my 1st letter had been denied requesting the $125.00 fee be dropped. I was told to send in another letter. I did send another letter but before I did that, since I had originally been on a direct pay credit card billing, I reversed the charge for the cancellation fee. Problem was with this is that D-TV deducted $43.18 for credit from my current month service that I was charged prior to use. So I no longer am out the whole $125.00 but rather just the $43.18 since my credit card company could only charge back what Directv charged which was $81.82. I called again today 12/30/07 just to check on any status from my latest note and of course I was told there was nothing to be done because I accepted some promotion this summer that was supposed to give me premium movies free -- which I never received or used. After this type of treatment and reading other postings on this site and other sites, I now understand that there is nothing else that I can likely do. I may write one of the local tv stations help lines to see if they can assist. I just want others to realize the kind of snafu this Directv company does even when dealing with long time customers.

Comments

Ja
  12th of Feb, 2008
I too am faced with the early cancellation fee. In December I began exploring the possibility of switching our tv service from DTV to AT&T U-Verse. To cover my bases I contacted DTV customer service to inquire about whether or not I was under any particular commitment. I was told by the customer service rep that I did not have a commitment. I repeated the question again and was told there would be no early termination fee. Last week I called DTV to cancel my service and was informed that I would be assessed a $175 early termination fee. I asked the customer service rep the manner in which I would have been informed of this policy and she stated I would have been told of this when I ordered the service (actually I was moving - "We like the way you move" campaign - a whole other story in which they are currently crediting me $20 per month for a year) and that it would be on the agreement I signed with the installer. I do not recollect being informed of the early termination fee when I signed up to move and it is not mentioned anywhere on the agreement I signed. I think it is funny to note that during our discussion about the process of filing a dispute (in writing) vs a phone call she stated that the corporate office requires disputes in writing because they would get too many phone calls. I quitely chuckled but refrained from commenting because at least she was cordial. If I am wrong then I will admit I am wrong and will no longer dispute the fee but right now there is no evidence that I was ever informed about this early cancellation fee. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has encountered this issue and the results of their disputes.
Sh
  3rd of Feb, 2009
I work at a class action law firm and we are investigating this issue. I am interested in talking to people and hearing about their experiences. Please contact me at shelly1100ny@yahoo.com if you have been charged an early termination fee by DirecTV, or if you have any questions on this investigation.

Thanks, Shelly
Le
  23rd of Feb, 2009
I had to move a couple months ago to an apartment and after already being without any TV for a couple weeks by then, I had DirecTV installed (the management of this apartment had cut the building's antennae wires, misunderstanding the conversion to digital that's coming up). I signed up with DirectTV because there was no other affordable option at this place. An independent contractor came out and insisted I had to pay him $80 for a simple installation ($40 per TV). This was a simple wire-through-the-wall straight from the dish setup - nothing fancy. I knew installation was supposed to be free, but he said because he was an independent, a fee applied. It turned out I was scammed, of course, and DTV attempted to get the contracting company to agree to reimburse me, but they never did. At the time this scammer was here installing the cable, he handed the phone to me and got me to agree to the 18-month commitment. Even though, to me, a contract is always something you SIGN. I never signed anything.

Anyway, a couple months later, and I have to move again to a different apartment. This place has cable already installed, so I called DTV today to cancel, and they are charging me a $300 termination fee, plus I'm to return the receivers. Two months of DTV and with the billing ahead, plus the $80 I got ripped off, they're getting over $400 out of me. And for what? All I wanted was the local stations anyway! I simply can't afford this fee on top of everything else. They're going to be waiting a LONG time for their money. I will NEVER subscribe to them again, and will warn off anybody thinking of using their service.
Ca
  2nd of Apr, 2009
I lost my job last april, Declared bankrupcy in november, and have had my Direct TV service on hold for months. I had to move out of my house to a cheaper place and wanted to cancel the Direct TV because I still don't have steady work.

They are charging my $240 for early cancellation fee because I had an 18 month "commitment."

Needless to say, I am quite upset. I will of course never use DirectTV again, but that is little solace for my wallet right now.

Anyone know of any way out of these fees?

casey
Colorado
Di
  29th of Dec, 2009
DirecTV is the worst cable company out there. They lure you in with cheap promotional prices for the first year and then rape you thereafter. I have to go through the same early termination fee process. Their Customer Service is a bunch of ignorant High School dropouts who do not care about keeping the company reputation or what's best for their customers. They continuously over charge their customers fee and makes it a real hassle fight it. Needless to say I will never go with DirecTV again or will ever recommend them to anyone. It's better to go with someone else like Dish Network or your local Cable company.
Ta
  19th of Mar, 2010
I to have had directv and they ripped me off big time. they were charging me over 200 dollars a month and wouldn't even let me have my locals. We cancelled our service and they debited my account $ 72 and then another $ 284. they said thats my early termination fee. If any one knows what to do about this it would be greatly appriciated. STAY AWAY FROM DIRECTV. THEY SUCK!!!

Tammy
Mi
  7th of Jul, 2010
We had to disconnect Directv due to my losing my job in April 2010. We had upgraded in Jan 2010 to DVR and even though we had met our original 24-month commitment from 2002, we had another 24-month commitment because of the upgrade. When I called Customer Service to ask if the service cancellation charges could be waived since the disconnect was due to my loss of work, I was denied.

When I look at my account online I see on the Account Overview page: "Thanks for being a loyal DirecTv Customer since 2002". I have to ask: Is this how you treat Loyal Customers who lose their jobs?

I am scheduled to begin work again in August and we will be going with DISH. ... Evelyn
Le
  12th of Nov, 2010
Update on my 2-23-2009 post regarding my problems with Direct TV.

They put me through a 6-month nightmare. But I got my state's Attorney General involved (NY), sent a complaint explaining how I was scammed by Direct TV's installer, how Direct TV itself was trying to swindle the termination fee out of me, and I won! I even got a refund for the money their scam-artist installation man took from me. And the termination fee was canceled after an apology from a DTV spokesperson. Of course, it took the Attorney General's intervention before I got any of that respectful treatment. Prior to that, DTV people were condescending and uncompromising. But it's over now. Never will I deal with that company again. And I make sure to cite my experiences with DTV with everyone I know should the subject come up.
So
  23rd of Dec, 2010
Hey i work for them and i am of of thousands of mis represented employees meaning that they file 1099 on me through a middle man contractor who does the illegal part for them and makes me fork over tons of my hard earned money, to buy stuff to to there installs, while I have no rights and have to pander to directv staff just like the direct hire tech on legal payroll and if i get hurt i have two options loose any property i have when it comes time for the medical creditors to sue me for the balance or sue the home owner to save my own behind. I going to tell you right now, I an going to to sue the home owner to save my self from directv's employment fraud...

Frankly I could give care less about the customer, I just want to get the job done as fast a as possible so i can avoid working 16 hours that day that way my the %50 of my pay check that i don't give to directv and the customer can count for something, frankly I'm just a slave, that feels the sting of the bose mans wip every time i make the smallest mistake they take money $$$ directly from my pay check, even if they cant prove it was my fault and all i could to change that is become jobless and suffer a chance to loose everything i have,

I want to see directv go down in flames, I want to see them pay back every cent they took from us illegally, I want to pay my taxes since i bought the materials and gasoline and tires to help them benefit and prosper

DirecTV Logo DirecTV