Direct TV / fraudulently starts service without permission and then demands payment for it
I called in to cancel our DirecTV service in March 2007. The account rep told me I should place the account on suspension instead of canceling it, and she told me that I would have to call in to start the service up again if I desired. We have never called in to start service up again and, in fact, this family has been completely without television (from DirecTV or anyone else) from April 2007 through today. We have no intention of ever starting television service again, and we have been holding the modem in its original box waiting for DirecTV to tell us what to do with it. Nevertheless, service was re-started without our permission or knowledge in January 2008 and DirecTV now expects payment for three months of service. They terminated our service in mid-March because we hadn't paid the bill. (Although I told them on March 2, 2008, by telephone and letter to terminate the service, they refused to do so until they realized I wasn't going to pay.) The current balance is a little over $200.
I have been advised by Margaret and Sheldon at the customer service center that, if I agreed to stay with DirecTV, they would waive half of the balance owing, but they would not close my account and zero the balance. This alternative is completely unsatisfactory. DirecTV has and is committing fraud against our family by putting our account on suspension under false pretenses and starting service again without permission.
More Direct TV Complaints & Reviews
- AT&T / Direc TV Bundle My Services - overcharged 
- Direct TV - stay away - direct tv sucks! 
- Direct TV - very poor service and unacceptable contract 
- Direc TV & Costco - terrible experience! 
- Direct TV - prepaid visa card promotion 
- Direct TV - cable
- DirecTV - service technician not showing up on the day of the scheduled appointment and no phone contact to explain the delay or why. 
- Direct TV - customer service dept 
- Direct TV - unprofessional service 
- DirecTV - directv satellite dish tv