Direct TV / fraudulently starts service without permission and then demands payment for it

I called in to cancel our DirecTV service in March 2007. The account rep told me I should place the account on suspension instead of canceling it, and she told me that I would have to call in to start the service up again if I desired. We have never called in to start service up again and, in fact, this family has been completely without television (from DirecTV or anyone else) from April 2007 through today. We have no intention of ever starting television service again, and we have been holding the modem in its original box waiting for DirecTV to tell us what to do with it. Nevertheless, service was re-started without our permission or knowledge in January 2008 and DirecTV now expects payment for three months of service. They terminated our service in mid-March because we hadn't paid the bill. (Although I told them on March 2, 2008, by telephone and letter to terminate the service, they refused to do so until they realized I wasn't going to pay.) The current balance is a little over $200.

I have been advised by Margaret and Sheldon at the customer service center that, if I agreed to stay with DirecTV, they would waive half of the balance owing, but they would not close my account and zero the balance. This alternative is completely unsatisfactory. DirecTV has and is committing fraud against our family by putting our account on suspension under false pretenses and starting service again without permission.

Va

Comments

• Wi
      30th of Jul, 2008

There was no fradulent start. A suspenison only lasts 6 months at a time whereupon you must call back and resuspend your account. i had to suspend mine for over a year and had no issues like this. People are so quick to blame shadowy companies and the like.,

• Sc
      7th of Aug, 2008

My account was cancelled in October of 2007 when I moved from Kentucky to Indiana. Recently I noticed an unauthorized charge drafted against my bank account. I then checked my (closed) directv account online to discover that billing resumed six months after I moved away for service to a residence that I no longer even live at. I did not recieve any service and the $137.93 charge drafted from my bank account was illegal an unauthorized. They even had the boldness to charge a $15 disconnect fee. I informed them that unless I recieve a credit back to my account or a refund check immediately - I am going to contact the local media fraud hotlines to publicly settle this matter. I really do find it hard to believe that this is the way they do buisness and you can be assured I will NEVER be a Directv customer again as well as tell everyone I come in contact with they are a corrupt company.