Direct TV / being harassed by direct tv

My parents are having to deal with Direct TV because they switched to Dish TV. They were with Direct for around 9 yrs, and this year after a big storm, lightning ran in thru the receiver, and fried the box and the TV. Direct couldn't or wouldn't help them to get this problem fixed. They wouldn't get anyone out to fix the receiver going on 2 weeks, my parents decided to change companies and did, and went to Dish, who came out just a couple days after they called them, after Direct found out they were switching, then all of a sudden they would be able to send someone out immediately, to fix the problem, plus give them all kinds of perks, my parents said no and stayed with Dish anyway. My parents tried repeatedly to call Direct TV and find out how to send their equipment back to them, each time they were told something different on how this was done, so my parents sent it back by UPS, after talking to the driver, who was a big help and very kind to them in every way. After sending the receiver back, they were still receiving phone calls from Direct, again telling them how to send their receiver back to them, their customer service has absolutely no communication amongst themselves, or they just don't care about service, not sure which it is, but they truly have a problem.When my parents received the first bill from Direct, after the storm, it said the owed nothing, which would have been right, as they always paid their bill on time, then just the other day they received a new bill from Direct, stating they owed $332.60, this bill has no explanation for the money owed, just that they owe it. So this morning my dad gets a call from Direct TV, they are now telling him he owes this money for an early disconnect, ok, again they have been with Direct TV for around 9yrs, does this make any sense? The customer services rep he talked to argued with him and was very rude, my dad is old and in poor health as is my mother, this is upsetting to both my parents, and is extremely hard on them physically and emotionally, when they did everything they could to send back any equipment and pay their bill like they were suppose to do, now they are being harasses by Direct TV for money they do not owe.

Va

Comments

• Ju
      19th of Sep, 2008

I cant believe this Company!! What are they thinking? I am going thru a similar situation with an "Early Cancellation Fee". I only had the service for 3 months, paid in full each month, but because of Medical Problems, I was in and out of the hospital for the next 3 months. Ive had diabetes for 40 years and I am trying to handle some "complications" from the diabetes (6 way heart by-pass and now, my right partial foot and my left leg below my knee have been amputated. This of course forced me to move home to my Moms house so she can help me get around. Anyways I tried explaining to the 4 or 5 customer service reps that I talked to about what was going on and if they could direct me to whoever could help me and they had to be the rudest people I have ever talked to! I wrote 2 letters explaining my predicament, pleading that they please remove the early cancellation fee from my account. I have never heard from them since! 2 or 3 months later, I get a call from an attorney ( And a Rude one at that!) that I needed to get a pmt. to him by Friday! I told him what I thought and I was going to contact Direct TV and I hung up. Today I get a bill for the 300.00 PLUS a fee so far of 98.00! I really dont know what to do. Any suggestions ?